PDA

View Full Version : Free FTP

jguffey
November 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Lost my file for Free ftp can someone help please?

Thanks

Jim

amalockh
April 9th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Lost my file for Free ftp can someone help please?

Thanks

Jim

What specifically, is FTP? I need to know because I also need help. No matter how many times I enter my serial number, it doesn't show up on my profile. I have NO other accounts, my game was bought in a store, No one but ME uses it, and the Content Manager Plus seems to not read that I have an account. I don't know what to do. And where can I find this FTP

johnwhelan
April 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
What specifically, is FTP? I need to know because I also need help. No matter how many times I enter my serial number, it doesn't show up on my profile. I have NO other accounts, my game was bought in a store, No one but ME uses it, and the Content Manager Plus seems to not read that I have an account. I don't know what to do. And where can I find this FTP

You don't need ftp firefox and ie have it built in these days. Firefox has a download manager which is useful for larger files.

Cheerio John

Gandalf0444
April 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Miss understood the question. But if your looking for an FTP manager to access and FTP server
http://www.coreftp.com/

Smileyman
April 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Jim,
If you're looking for an FTP program and you use Firefox, then download the Firefox plugin "FireFTP".

It will then be available from the tools menu in Firefox.
It's very good.

Smiley.

NikkiA
April 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Everyone else is suggesting weird and esoteric choices of ftp clients, so I'll just suggest the one that pretty much everyone everywhere in IT accepts as 'the standard' these days:

http://filezilla-project.org/

JCitron
April 9th, 2010, 06:59 PM
You can also ftp from the command prompt if you want to.

Open a C: prompt and type FTP server name or IP.

Put in your username when prompted
Put in your password after hitting enter for your username

You'll need to "CD" to the file directory where the asset is located.
To download, you'll need to "get" the file. So you'll use the get command.

The transfer is automatic type by default so it should autmatically download the binary CDP file.

This process believe it or not actually works, and it's all done without a fancy client. FTP is built into Windows.

John

RRSignal
April 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. As far as you're concerned, you need a "client" to download files using this method. Whatever FTP client you use, make sure it has a mechanism that allows you to resume interrupted files. Any mentioned here should be able to. If you decide to use one not recommended here, you should (as always, with any software) do some research to be sure it doesn't contain spyware or adware; even spyware-free ones have been known to be co-oped by shady software distributors.

Most FTP clients have a filesize limit, so be aware. Also, there are two versions of FTP: active and passive (PASV). Without going into detail, passive FTP is the mode in which you want to operate, because active does not play well with modern firewalls. Also, FTP can operate in ASCII or binary mode. The former is strictly for sending text files (FTP is an ancient, but good, method of transferring files, and sending 7 bits versus 8 saved a lot of overhead in the old days) whereas the latter is what you need for Trainz or anything else today.

The passive and binary settings shouldn't be an issue as most modern clients by default use PASV and binary modes, but it will save you much aggravation if you find your FTP not working.