PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME TRAINS airs on History Channel on....

ish6
January 1st, 1970, 12:00 AM
:D
Hey All,

This is there schedule for November:

Coal Train
Tuesday, November 11th at 10PM ET/9C

Freight Train
Tuesday, November 18th at 10PM ET/9C

High Speed Train
Tuesday, November 25th at 10PM ET/9C

Ish

Update:hehe: :wave:

ish6
October 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Hey all,

Just saw this on the tube while I was feeding my little girl her bottle...

EXTREME TRAINS airs Tuesdays on History, starting November 11 at 10pm ET. ...

http://www.history.com/genericContent.do?id=60696

I posted it early in case I foget later on -- make a note .... will talk about coal trainz, etc etc!!

Ish :wave:

barn700
October 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks Ish, will watch that series.

bl4882
October 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Bernie

applegathc
October 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I like when trains and TV join forces.:D hehe EXTREME trains lol:hehe: :hehe:

ish6
November 1st, 2008, 12:59 AM
Welcome guys! :wave:
Ish

brickbuilder711
November 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
I'm looking forward to the show.

However, there may already be a thread on this:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=32532

ish6
November 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'm looking forward to the show.

However, there may already be a thread on this:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=32532

Yeah I saw that thread after I posted this one.
Still the more news on it the better -- more people will get informed!!:wave: :D

Ish

brickbuilder711
November 2nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah I saw that thread after I posted this one.
Still the more news on it the better -- more people will get informed!!:wave: :D

Ish

Very true :Y:

I am really eager to see this!

ish6
November 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
Very true :Y:

I am really eager to see this!

So am I ... History Channel have made a few of these...

They had an episode about the history of train in the US ... basically how the pacific union connected east and west back in the 1800s ... that one was real cool!:p

Those guys who worked on those tracks had it real bad!!

Ish

mad_railman91
November 5th, 2008, 07:23 PM
although it is passed bed time for me when it airs thank God we have TiVo. and it also is right after another one of my favorite shows (not train related though) The Fringe, so it will work out and thanks for the heads up I would have never known that this sereies existed had I not read this post

ish6
November 7th, 2008, 09:47 AM
reminder!!:hehe: :wave: :D

MAGLEVSX
November 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ill Have to flip open the leg rest pop out some popcorn with a can of coke And Watch!!!:p

~Maglevsxxxxxxxxxx:cool: ~

Donaldgatlin
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
thanks, cant wait to see!!!:D :)

ish6
November 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM

K4driver
November 10th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Woo hoo about Horseshoe Curve

ish6
November 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM

brickbuilder711
November 11th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I can't wait! :D :D

ct_krogen
November 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
yea, i read abot it in usa today, and the host is a real life conductor
this will be 8 show deal,,,,, first show will be in penn. moving coal from the
penn, coal fields to a power plant,, and the railroad really did not want any
flim crew on there trains,,,,,,, this will be fun

ct

traincrazy0918
November 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Nevermind....

AJ_Fox
November 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I saw it today but it came in the afternoon. Was a little techie but cool anyway. I highly recommend it.

Cheers

AJ

jadebullet
November 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I enjoyed it. The host was over playing the extreme thing a bit, but that was probably for the ratings.

LGBMATT
November 11th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I'm watching it right now. It was taped from earlier. I like it alot. All new episodes are going to be taped on the DVR.

Matt

ish6
November 12th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I missed it .. I just fell asleep ... these days hard for me to watch TV with an infant, however, at least I get to see it on tape ... :hehe:

Overall, how was it Guys!!?

Thanks!
Ish

barn700
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Was very good !!! As the route is only 10 miles from here in the Alleg

BTW its on again at 2 in the morning, as well as 10pm (EST) in case you miss the early one

traincrazy0918
November 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I missed it :( There is Two history channels and the one i have isn't it. I was searching through every channel to try to find it.:( I thought i had the right one!

ish6
November 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Hey All,

This is there schedule for November:

Coal Train
Tuesday, November 11th at 10PM ET/9C

Freight Train

High Speed Train

Ish

barn700
November 12th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Did anyone record it on DVD so Ish can see the first ??

bl4882
November 12th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Overall, I thought it was well done, though I agree the host may have gushed a bit. I wonder how much damage he could have done with some of that equipment. :eek:

My interest in contemporary railroading waned back in the early '80s when single car loadings and express service went to trucks and intermodal took over. My main interest has always been in the intricacy of picking up hundreds of cars from hundreds of locations, then forming them into trains, then delivering each to hundreds of destinations. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone else. :)

Bernie

bendorsey
November 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
It was enjoyable (except the host needs a muzzle). Kind of an ad for Norfolk Southern in a way. Still worth watching and I'm looking foreward to the next batch.

A shame they didn't show a clip of a pair of PRR 2-10-0's on horseshoe curve. Would have been a wowser.

Ben

K4driver
November 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Thought they could have done a little more on the history of the curve.

Gandalf0444
November 12th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Wish the enigneers in the lead locos were a tad bit nicer....:o

K4driver
November 12th, 2008, 03:30 PM
That really shows alot about the Horseshoe curve. how NS has relegated the SD40-2's to helper service...it also shows how differentThe cabs look in the newer models

SR6900
November 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I Tivo-ed it. Just watched it a few minutes ago. My thoughts, the host needs to go railfanning some, he acted as if he knew very little about trains. He was so amazed by "THE Horseshoe Curve". They obviously didn't take the railfan shots. They did all sorts of weird camera angles. There's a bit more, but I think the worst is that dang host. They really need someone who knows about trains. Someone who's been around and seen a variety. I personally have traveled thousands of miles across the US, I've been to over 75 tourist RR's & RR Museums in over 25 states. Some I've been to multiple times. They need someone with a railfan pedigree like or better than mine for a good host.

stouthm
November 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
While I was watching the show I was thinking this looks like a gfisher route. I hope someone will make this route for Trainz, hint George Fisher. I agree, the host over did it in some spots but I found it very interesting.

Overdijk
November 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Are the episodes somewhere on the internet for download? Unfortunally it`s not on the tellie here in The Netherlands.

Greetz Ron

ish6
November 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
5 Videos to choose from -- subject TRAINS ::hehe: :wave:

http://www.history.com/video.do?name=extremetrains&bcpid=1896837970&bclid=1830065110&bctid=1834378218

Ish

Overdijk
November 12th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, but those are teasers. Not the real episode. Even with the huge amount of commercials in TV-episodes across the pond, I'll still guess that's not the complete episode.:hehe:

Greetz Ron

backyard
November 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
:cool: ...the host is a conductor...

He played it up...I can handle that...however he was so wrong on dynamic braking there is so not a word for how wrong he was...

Yes, he was out to get an audience...wouldn't you?

All these shows are in the can now & if folks watch the show & ratings are large we will see more about modern railroading.

Plenty was shown about the shoe...with 3D graphics no less.

Freight Trains by the History Channel was better...

I thought it was interesting that the train's conductor was also a certified engineer. In years past, I think they would have had a Road Forman of Engines present...

Gosh...of all the power that could have been, a ex-Conrail SD60I #6733 was the pinwheel!

Thanks to the Norfolk Southern Corp. for the 4-unit SD40-2 pushers on the trailing end!

...And CSX for providing the front money!

Donaldgatlin
November 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM
pretty good show, what rroad are they doing next????:) :)

ish6
November 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM
pretty good show, what rroad are they doing next????:) :)

Freight Train
Tuesday, November 18th at 10PM ET/9C :wave:

Ish

sfrr
November 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I watched this too, very good I thought. It was bound to happen, a show about modern railroading. I personally liked the host, he had to make it seem cooler that it actually was by toning his voice like he did.

Best regards,
Mike

Overdijk
November 14th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Any news on a possible download for the show for the people on this side of the Atlantic?

Greetz Ron

naikrd
November 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Its seems that extreme trains is available for free on itunes. Pls search for extreme trains in the itunes store. i dont know if its only available on the US version of the itunes stores. Maybe others can confirm this.

btw, the episode is free now and i dont know if apple will charge for it later.

barn700
November 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
For all those that missed it, I just saw an ad on History Chan (140) that they are re-running the 1st edition, Coal Train in PA on Sunday at 10pm (EST).

ish6
November 14th, 2008, 01:05 PM
For all those that missed it, I just saw an ad on History Chan (140) that they are re-running the 1st edition, Coal Train in PA on Sunday at 10pm (EST).

Thank you for the information... :wave: :D

Sometimes people post it up at YouTube and other video forums ... If I come across it I'll post a link here!!

Ish

naikrd
November 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
update to my previous post..
i just downloaded it from iTunes. itunes link below
http://ax.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?i=295873754&id=294082229&s=143441

ish6
November 18th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Update Tonight

Freight Train

ish6
November 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Update Tonight

Freight Train

j99450
November 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Watched it last week and plan to watch it again in half an hour. On a related note the host is a fellow Mainer.

ish6
November 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Well guys I got to see Freight Train Tuesday, November 18th at 10PM ET/9C last night.

First, it was good, but the side things I could have done without, like talking about the grease and oils from the steamer -- leave that for the Steamer episode.

Also, they need to cut back on the editing -- too many fast cuts just made my dizzy.

I think they should talked about more on who the Engineer communicate with HQ while on the road and when approaching their designed areas.

Overall it was good, and I learned a few thing as well!!

Ish :wave: :p

ish6
November 24th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Make a note of it:

High Speed Train

:wave: :p

ish6
November 25th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Make a note of it:

High Speed Train

ish6
November 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
2 hours to go --- :wave:

Gandalf0444
November 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Was a decent one...just wish they didn't edit it so stupidly thinking someone wouldn't notice the problems with it. For example right before they said "and here we are arriving in Baltimore" They showed some NJT trains in clips that they must have taken on from later in the trip,and just randomly put them there,unless NJT made some sort of adjustment to there schedule:o :hehe: They should have also focused a little bit on the surronding commuter RRs as well,that run on the same line. MARC,VRE,SEPTA,NJT,MN,SLE,MBTA etc...because they play a huge role in how Amtrak has to keep track of the Acela and make sure it doesn't crash into a low speed commuter. Another bone to pick...why did he have to stay in the power car during the whole show? Except for the short period that he was in the shop in DC...I would like to have seen what it's like from a "passengers" perspective of riding on it,as well as what the conductor does.

mikemike
November 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
when i was a kid, back when... when? say, 1951... television still didn't know what t.v. was about, and the good thing was that they just ran anything the could find. things like, 'industry on parade', which must maybe have been some kind of public affairs presentation made by the industries, but did actually just show you what's up with something like a toaster factory or a railroad and without much talk. i loved it when i was 6.

how cool then would it have been to have the hisss-tory channel just show some rail-fan vids of the N&W dragging coal up a one percent with three mallets and many cars... one of those fine films made back when.

i was just reading a Loki Special last night, and an ad in it was for a Swiss train store, and their motto was 'the good old days are about to start'.

i'll sit in front of my t.v. waiting. umm, have to go out and buy a t.v...

ish6
December 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
Was a decent one...just wish they didn't edit it so stupidly thinking someone wouldn't notice the problems with it. For example right before they said "and here we are arriving in Baltimore" They showed some NJT trains in clips that they must have taken on from later in the trip,and just randomly put them there,unless NJT made some sort of adjustment to there schedule:o :hehe: They should have also focused a little bit on the surronding commuter RRs as well,that run on the same line. MARC,VRE,SEPTA,NJT,MN,SLE,MBTA etc...because they play a huge role in how Amtrak has to keep track of the Acela and make sure it doesn't crash into a low speed commuter. Another bone to pick...why did he have to stay in the power car during the whole show? Except for the short period that he was in the shop in DC...I would like to have seen what it's like from a "passengers" perspective of riding on it,as well as what the conductor does.

I agreed .... all that editing and moving around just gives me dizzy ... Also, they need to focus on the topic of the show ....

Ishie

ish6
December 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Ice Cold Express

Tuesday, December 2nd at 10PM ET/9C
Union Pacific's refrigeration train is simply the coolest… On its cross-country trip from Wallula, Washington, to Schenectady, New York, it employs hi-tech mobile refrigeration technology to keep its produce intact and fresh. Even the railcars themselves are loaded inside a cooled facility so as not to break the cold chain for this delicate cargo. Also in this episode: how trains and trucks battled for business in the 1950s.

Ishie:wave: :D

Ferrous
December 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hmm...Schenectady...wonder if they'll mention ALCo... ;)

mrjunction
December 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Hi,
The show is OK,but the Guy that stars and explains things is bit of a tool.I could do without the extreme gesturing.He needs to calm down a bit!My two Cents worth.Take care all and Happy Holidays,Randy

ish6
December 2nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Hi,
The show is OK,but the Guy that stars and explains things is bit of a tool.I could do without the extreme gesturing.He needs to calm down a bit!My two Cents worth.Take care all and Happy Holidays,Randy

Very True ... he explains things way to fast .... plus the camera angles just spinning all over the place!!

Ish

ish6
December 2nd, 2008, 01:58 AM
Ice Cold Express

Union Pacific's refrigeration train is simply the coolest… On its cross-country trip from Wallula, Washington, to Schenectady, New York, it employs hi-tech mobile refrigeration technology to keep its produce intact and fresh. Even the railcars themselves are loaded inside a cooled facility so as not to break the cold chain for this delicate cargo. Also in this episode: how trains and trucks battled for business in the 1950s.

backyard
December 2nd, 2008, 02:50 AM
:cool: You can get updates from the History Channel by registering & subscribing for e-mail updates...here is the guide (http://www.history.com/schedule.do)...

There are three more, after Extreme Trains: Ice Cold Express (http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389218)
Union Pacific's refrigeration train is the coolest train in the world. On its cross-country trip from Wallula, Washington, to Schenectady, New York, it employs the most high-tech mobile refrigeration technology in the world to keep its produce intact and fresh. Even the railcars themselves are stored inside a cooled facility so as not to break the cold chain for this delicate cargo. Also in this episode: how trains and trucks battled for business in the 1950s.

Extreme Trains: Steam Train (http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389100)
The Union Pacific's historic 844 steam locomotive is the longest running steam train in America. Built in 1944, it has never been retired and still runs on UP's mainlines today. The 844 is so popular that when it goes out on the tracks a huge traffic jam forms on the roads along side as people "chase the train." Host Matt Bown rides the 844 on its annual outing that takes 750 rail fans from Denver to the biggest rodeo in the world in Cheyenne, Wyoming. This episode also looks at the gold rush of the 1850s.(12/09).

Extreme Trains: Overnight Traveler (http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=389332)
The Amtrak Empire Builder runs from Chicago to Seattle and is the busiest passenger train in America. The route passes through America's longest tunnel, where host Matt Bown finds out how the railroad keeps passengers from choking to death and how to keep the tracks from flooding. In the Cascade Mountains, Matt finds out what it takes to the keep the rails clear of snow drifts over a dozen feet high! This episode covers how James J. Hill built the Great Northern Railroad; and the Wellington avalanche disaster. It features some of America's most beautiful scenery in the Montana's Glacier National Park.
(12/16).

ish6
December 2nd, 2008, 02:56 AM
Very true, indeed ... but people still tend to forget or fine it in their spam folder and missed the show, all together ... this is just a friendly reminder from my end!:)

Thanks
Ish

ish6
December 2nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ice Cold Express

Heads-up :wave: :)

brickbuilder711
December 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Heads-up :wave: :)

Seems an intriguing episode! I wasn't too enthused with the last so I skipped it.

The next two look promising! Maybe we'll see some of WCL's route or Marias Pass in real life briefly!

ish6
December 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Seems an intriguing episode! I wasn't too enthused with the last so I skipped it.

The next two look promising! Maybe we'll see some of WCL's route or Marias Pass in real life briefly!

Same here as I've posted about it, last weeks.

Perhaps, tonights, it'll be much better. Although I won't be able to see it!! They'll give it again!:hehe:

Ishie

Ferrous
December 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
Ooh, looking forward to this next series of eps! :D

Funny, it'll have been almost exactly a year since I took the Builder from Chicago to Whitefish and back (well, it was actually a private car on the back of the Builder, but you get the point) when they air that episode!

JimDep
December 2nd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Host Matt Bown rides the 844 on its annual outing that takes 750 rail fans from Denver to the biggest rodeo in the world in Cheyenne, Wyoming. This episode also looks at the gold rush of the 1850s.(12/09).

Thanks for the info. This is very cool!

The 844 run mentioned from Denver to Cheyenne is along the Greeley Subdivision, most of which is covered in the route I've been working on for a couple years. I'm now including from Cheyenne down to Gilcrest, C0, north of Denver (before I had it only going south just past La Salle)

The gold rush of the 1850's would not have included the Greeley Sub, as grading didn't begin until 1868. The DENVER PACIFIC began the grading from Cheyenne and worked their way south. During this time, along the line between the Cheyenne plateau and Lone Tree Creek (close to Carr, Colorado- a ghost town with maybe a population of 20 ) a call for reinforcements was placed to help defend against frequent Indian attacks.

I'm glad the rail history of this area is getting some exposure.

After watching this episdoe on Extreme Trains, if anyone is interested more in the UP Greeley Subdivision, please let me know.

ish6
December 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Any saw this week's episode -- I missed it!!

Thanks
Ishie

ish6
December 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM
STEAM TRAIN

Tuesday, December 9th at 10PM ET/9C
The Union Pacific's famous 844 steam locomotive, built in 1944, is the longest-running steam train in America. It still runs on UP's mainlines today. Matt rides the 844 on its annual outing, taking 750 rail fans from Denver to the biggest rodeo in the world in Cheyenne, Wyoming. This train is so popular that traffic jams form along the tracks when it runs, as people "chase the train." This episode also looks at the gold rush of the 1850s

:wave:

ish6
December 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Note it down guys

Overnight TraveTuesday, December 16 at 10PM ET/9C

Overnight Traveler

Tuesday, December 16 at 10PM ET/9C
This train running from Chicago to Seattle is the busiest passenger train in America. The route passes through America's longest tunnel where Matt finds out how the railroad keeps passengers from choking to death and how to keep the tracks from flooding. In the Cascade Mountains he learns what it takes to the keep the rails clear of snow drifts over a dozen feet high! This episode covers how James J. Hill built the Great Northern Railroad; and the Wellington avalanche disaster. It features some of America's most beautiful scenery in Montana's Glacier National Park.

bl4882
December 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Hello all,

Just thought I would pass this on for what it is worth. It pays to watch your local TV listings like a hawk, especially in unlikely places. PBS stations often run features on railroading and even model railroading, like Tracks Ahead, some of which go into great depth. Local stations may do film essays on local history and they often include or even concentrate on railroads. I remember one done by KTVU in Oakland, CA, back in the 80's that provided beautiful historical footage of Bay Area commuter rail service. And don't overlook the Travel Channel. They did a series on Swiss railways that was fascinating. The National Geographic channel did a masteriece on Grand Central Terminal. But you have to scan those listings carefully to find them and be ready to record because many are run in the wee hours to fill air time.

Good hunting,
Bernie

ish6
December 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I greed with Bernie ... I've seen many other channels talking about train, etc....

Note it down guys

Overnight TraveTuesday, December 16 at 10PM ET/9C

Overnight Traveler

AJ_Fox
December 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM
That guy on Extreme Trains must have been a visitor to the Forum here because he's not near as boring and is more lively. :)

The Rodeo Trains bit this weekend was nice.

Cheers

AJ

ish6
December 16th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Might not be able to watch it tonight. so let me know....

ish6
December 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Circus train tomorrow ... 10pm History channel

A remainder!:wave:

LGBMATT
December 22nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
I just had an idea. They should have an episode about virtual trains and train simulator and how it has evolved over time and thins like that. They should include all simulators including Trainz, MSTS, RS, Railroad Tycoon, and others.:hehe:

But this was just a thought.

Matt

ct_krogen
December 22nd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Circus train tomorrow ... 10pm History channel

oo yes,,,,

ish6
December 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Circus train today ... 10pm History channel

brickbuilder711
December 23rd, 2008, 11:22 AM

Very eager to see the episode, but I think they should maybe have a part with the train in Florida

ish6
December 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, me too!!:wave: :)

Donaldgatlin
December 23rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
watching it right now!
:):)

AirCoaster
December 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
That's a really good informative program, but I wish the host would keep his face out of the camera. I would rather watch the trains than his mug..... :D

Gandalf0444
December 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Anyone know what the next episode(s) entail?

Iced8383
December 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM

I forgot to watch it. Luckily I got a season pass for it.

brickbuilder711
December 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I forgot to watch it. Luckily I got a season pass for it.

Same here... forgot to tape it... :(

Donaldgatlin
December 26th, 2008, 10:39 PM
It's the Union Pacifics Transcontinental route, but the bummer is its the last show for the season.
:) :'(

Donaldgatlin
December 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
here is the episode guide http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=60922&display_order=4&mini_id=60798

ish6
December 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hey All,

I got so inspire with the circus train that I went and did a bunch of circus items!!:hehe:

Ish

Iced8383
December 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
My TV broke. Darn. I'm going to see if I can fix it. I can't watch the new one until it's fixed.

ct_krogen
December 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
[quote=ish6;380637]Hey All,

I got so inspire with the circus train that I went and did a bunch of circus items!!:hehe:

where is this cirus train at

brickbuilder711
December 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM
[quote=ish6;380637]Hey All,

where is this cirus train at

Currently at Tampa, one unit will soon run to Miami

ct_krogen
December 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM
aaaaa how can i get it

Currently at Tampa, one unit will soon run to Miami[/quote]

bl4882
December 28th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hello all,

A few months ago the Ringling Bros. circus train was parked a mile or so from my home while the circus was in San Jose. It's an incredibly impressive sight to see. Don't hesitate to travel a way to see it if you get the chance. A TV screen doesn't do it justice, though IMHO the circus train episode is the best of the lot.

Bernie

SR6900
December 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I don't really care for Extreme Trains, but I've been watching Trains & Locomotives for a few years now. It comes on RFDTV Mondays 6pm EST.
Basically they go around to different railfan video producers and play their videos. Right now they are playing videos from Main Line Motion Pictures. If you don't like the "documentary" on the basics of railroading and just want to see some trains this is the show for you. Today's episode is supposed to be "Doubleheader: PRR 7002 & 1223", but occasionally it's wrong. Most of the time it's commercial free, but here lately there are 2 or 3 small commercial in the middle of the show.

Link:
http://www.rfdtv.com/shows/trainsandloco.asp

Kyle

EDIT: http://boards.history.com/topic/Extreme-Trains/Not-The-Best/520027919

backyard
December 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
:cool: Nobody likes Extreme Trains but everybody has a favorite episode...

All aspects of every thing presented is a typical History Channel format. They have put our poor host through stuff I would not do!

It's not typical that railroad conductors know everything & most of them don't mind letting you know!

It used to be that (US) railroaders had no idea what model or horsepower of the locomotive they were riding in...all they new was the builders name...that's why they put the model numbers under the window on the sides of the cabs...now.

However most railroad men are not foamers like this guy...he loves railroading & seams to enjoy finding something to say about it.

And...he is a railroad conductor for the Pan Am Railroad in the Northeastern USA.

The History Channel has responded well to feedback from railfans & at this point in history railroading is fast catching the attention of more than just the general public.

I have stopped my effort to archive recordings of Extreme Trains & have decided that the best way to have it is to own it...like I did with "Freight Trains." You have all the antics & experiences without the commercials.

One thing about this guy, he will always have suggestions for more content & hopefully this series is being filmed for next season...

ish6
December 30th, 2008, 08:39 AM
:cool: Nobody likes Extreme Trains but everybody has a favorite episode...

All aspects of every thing presented is a typical History Channel format. They have put our poor host through stuff I would not do!

It's not typical that railroad conductors know everything & most of them don't mind letting you know!

It used to be that (US) railroaders had no idea what model or horsepower of the locomotive they were riding in...all they new was the builders name...that's why they put the model numbers under the window on the sides of the cabs...now.

However most railroad men are not foamers like this guy...he loves railroading & seams to enjoy finding something to say about it.

And...he is a railroad conductor for the Pan Am Railroad in the Northeastern USA.

The History Channel has responded well to feedback from railfans & at this point in history railroading is fast catching the attention of more than just the general public.

I have stopped my effort to archive recordings of Extreme Trains & have decided that the best way to have it is to own it...like I did with "Freight Trains." You have all the antics & experiences without the commercials.

One thing about this guy, he will always have suggestions for more content & hopefully this series is being filmed for next season...

well said!!:wave: :)

Iced8383
December 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I watched the circus one. Before the train started up, they sure had a lot of trouble.

ish6
December 30th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Transcontinental

Tuesday, December 30 at 10PM ET/9C
Matt rides the busiest freight line anywhere, Union Pacific's Omaha to Sacramento — on a route that crosses the world's longest rail causeway, though the world's largest rail yard and over the fearsome Donner Pass, where Matt and the train crews must free the tracks from huge blocks of ice. The episode covers the building of the transcontinental railroad in the 1860s.

ish6
December 31st, 2008, 01:42 AM
I missed it ... just fell asleep ...:'(

brickbuilder711
December 31st, 2008, 01:58 AM
I missed it ... just fell asleep ...:'(

It's on right now! :) (2:00 rerun)

LOL: Adult diapers.... (commodity of the manifest)

ish6
December 31st, 2008, 02:17 AM
It's on right now! :) (2:00 rerun)

LOL: Adult diapers.... (commodity of the manifest)

I just checked .. thanks a lot!!!:D

Ish

Ferrous
December 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Adult diapers.... (commodity of the manifest)

Yeah...sometimes I wonder what's going on inside his head when he says things like that. Then I pause, think about it, and decide that I'd rather not know! :hehe:

Oh, and I was glad to see multiple shots of the MoPac Heritage unit, even if it wasn't on their train. :D

Iced8383
December 31st, 2008, 02:06 PM
I'm watching the new one in a sec!

tdstead
March 10th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Hope everyy one else in Aussie on pay is enjoying it.

Tom

ct_krogen
March 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
mmm, well it over, i was getting into it, i wonder if there going to be another
season of thsi show

Iced8383
March 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Man, it was a great show. But there will be reruns on!

bassist118
April 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hang on, they just said George Stephenson invented the Steam loco. Isn't this ment to be the HISTORY channel where you'd have thourght they'd have HISTORIC facts right, this isn't miscounting rivits, this is serious unreserched.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/halloffame/historical_figures/richard_trevithick.shtml

I just can't believe they'd make such balls up. Quite a good show just let the Brits do it next time, watch Mark Williams on the Rails for a well resurched and quirky train series.

Sorry but I'm quite suprissed and discusted

Andy

K4driver
April 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hope they do A segment on Narrow gauge stuff in america....THE D&SNG or the East broad top RR

Euphod
April 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hope they do A segment on Narrow gauge stuff in america....THE D&SNG or the East broad top RR

Since the train wreck of a show has been cancelled, I rather doubt it...

K4driver
April 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Since the train wreck of a show has been cancelled, I rather doubt it...
They canceled it? here is an idea...get a real railroader to do the show.

motorbreath
April 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Canceled? Oh well. It was ok. At least I still have the old Trains and Locomotives on RFD TV. It's kind of low budget, but it's far more informative and it has lots of vintage footage. It's on right now, featuring Durango & Silverton.

Euphod
April 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM

What...you didn't care for the arm waving, constantly amazed with every little detail Matt Bown?:D

Gandalf0444
April 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
What...you didn't care for the arm waving, constantly amazed with every little detail Matt Bown?:D
I could have cared less if it was Joe schmo from down the street,as long as it taught something about railroads... But why is it that every single Train show that comes along they cancel? But yet they can hang on to the really ridiculous and stupid shows like UFO stories or something of the sort. They need to get a grip,and show shows that can actually be related to,unless your one of those weird people that claimed to have been abducted my aliens...but that's another story....

Euphod
April 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I could have cared less if it was Joe schmo from down the street,as long as it taught something about railroads... But why is it that every single Train show that comes along they cancel? But yet they can hang on to the really ridiculous and stupid shows like UFO stories or something of the sort. They need to get a grip,and show shows that can actually be related to,unless your one of those weird people that claimed to have been abducted my aliens...but that's another story....

Poor Joe; he moves out by you, and still can't escape the spotlight!

Anyway, I think, in reality that UFOS and paranormal events are far more popular to the viewing public than trains are. At one time in history trains probably captured the imagination of the public, when they were new and amazing. Now, they are like any other niche subject...farm tractors or ultralights or scuba diving. The each have a strong following, but it can hardly be considered a large market.

Gandalf0444
April 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Poor Joe; he moves out by you, and still can't escape the spotlight!

Anyway, I think, in reality that UFOS and paranormal events are far more popular to the viewing public than trains are. At one time in history trains probably captured the imagination of the public, when they were new and amazing. Now, they are like any other niche subject...farm tractors or ultralights or scuba diving. The each have a strong following, but it can hardly be considered a large market.
Very true...
P.S. love your sig,it looks really nice:D:wave:

bassist118
April 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM

He looks like he's on anphetimine :hehe::hehe:

Andy

Therock
April 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM

OMIGODGUIZ WE MAED IT OVAR TEH CAHONE PASS LOLWTFBBQ!!?!?!1/11

How old is this guy

SuperFudd
April 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Every train show canceled?
Pettycoat Junction ran a while. Then there is the one with Thomas the tank engine.