PDA

View Full Version : AVG Free Antivirus 8

Glenethson
August 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I have AVG free antivirus 8.0.138 and i was wondering how to turn it off momenterrly so i can install TRS2006. Can anyone help?

:o:o:o

steamdrivre
August 25th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Right click on the icon in your task bar then click EXIT.:o

nexusdj
August 25th, 2008, 08:58 AM
And make sure your connection to the net is turned off / pulled out :)

Captain_Collins
August 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi,:wave:

1. Go to start -> Run, and type in msconfig
2. Go to the services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft Services" checkbox, then find and uncheck anything with AVG written on it. On my system, I have:
a. AVG8 E-Mail scanner
b. AVG8 WatchDog

Then go to the Startup tab, and uncheck "avgtray"

Exit msconfig, and restart at the prompt. When the computer has restarted, you should see a box that says something like this: "You have made changes to your system. Do you want to undo these?" Then there is a box marked "Do not show this message at startup and open msconfig". DO NOT CHECK THIS BOX! Not checking the box will remind you every startup that you have turned off your antivirus. Exit this box and msconfig, and at the "Exit/Exit without restart" box, click "Exit wihout restart".

Install trainz. Then restart the computer, and it will again say "You have made changes..." Again, do not check the box. In Msconfig, turn back on everything you turned off to do with AVG. Then exit with a restart, and check the box marked "Do not show this message at startup and open msconfig". This will remove the annoying message, and it is safe to do so as you have turned your antivirus back on.

Hope this helps,:D

EDIT: Others got in first. The other ideas will work, it;s just that mine will allow you to restart to install Service patches etc, and you are then sure that all services are disabled.

Captain_Collins
August 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Right click on the icon in your task bar then click EXIT.:o

Unfortunately, in AVG8, this only closes the application manger, not the antivirus components.