PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with my game.

jadebullet
August 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
for some reason it now takes a total of 3 minutes to paste something. Does anyone know how to fix this. It didn't do this before.

HiBaller
August 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Once you get to a certain size, pasting will take longer and longer each time. This is because it has to completely rebuild the GND file every time you paste something. Among other reasons, this is why we broke up the DHR into many smaller chunks.

Bill

Zwabberaar
August 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Once you get to a certain size, pasting will take longer and longer each time. This is because it has to completely rebuild the GND file every time you paste something. Among other reasons, this is why we broke up the DHR into many smaller chunks.

Bill

In other words: the time needed to copy-paste is influenced by the size of the route itself more then the actual size of the piece you are copy-pasting?

GreatEastern
August 23rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
In other words: the time needed to copy-paste is influenced by the size of the route itself more then the actual size of the piece you are copy-pasting?

Indeed it appears so. The same of the undo and redo tools. On some large rotues and those which make use of lots of custom content you will notice a significant lag. On one route I worked on it could be up to a minute to undo one spline point insertion.

Zwabberaar
August 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Indeed it appears so. The same of the undo and redo tools. On some large rotues and those which make use of lots of custom content you will notice a significant lag. On one route I worked on it could be up to a minute to undo one spline point insertion.

Hmmm ... will have to keep my routes very small I guess.

GreatEastern
August 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Only if you want to use the copy/paste tool I think. From my experience it doesn't affect the undo/redo on what I would term normal or medium sized routes. Those of hundreds of baseboards and those with lots of assets (say 500-800+) or lots of high poly assets are more troublesome. I use the figures I do from on the basis of my experience of a couple of routes. I haven't tested it enough to see a true pattern.

Dermmy
August 23rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
There is definitely a copy-paste issue, but I am not so sure that is is simply a function of route size. I copy-paste virtually all the ground textures and most of the objects on my Clovis Sub route (including CS2 which is twice the size of CS1) with absolutely no problem. The pasted areas appear almost instantly. Foreground textures are pasted in quite small areas, but background textures are pasted in as large an area as I can see when zoomed fully out. I take care to not paste over previously pasted areas, I save (under a new name) often and I build in TRS04 ....

Andy

HiBaller
August 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yes. The actual size of the piece you are pasting does not have any bearing on how long it takes to effect the paste. For example, if you are pasting 4 squares or a huge 20x20 square it will take roughly the same time to do so.

Routes (especially those made with DEM/HOG) can be pulled apart, worked on, and joined up again easily. We had about 12 or 14 chunks on the DHR and managed to fit them all back together again. We parceled out the chunks to all of us to work on. It would have taken us many more than three years to do it if we hadn't. Parallel processing is the way to go on large routes.

Bill

jadebullet
August 23rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
OK, i figured out the problem. You know you are putting WAY to much JVC grass down when you copy and paste a 8X8 segment and it really lags, on a 1 baseboard route. It looked realistic but my trainz now wont even load the route lol. Time to start over. At least it was at the beginning of the route and not at the end. BTW does anyone have any good tips on putting dried grass down without killing your route?

Mestkevertje
August 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
OK, i figured out the problem. You know you are putting WAY to much JVC grass down when you copy and paste a 8X8 segment and it really lags, on a 1 baseboard route. It looked realistic but my trainz now wont even load the route lol. Time to start over. At least it was at the beginning of the route and not at the end. BTW does anyone have any good tips on putting dried grass down without killing your route?

Stick to what you truly see/watch from the cab window. Useful grass only needs to be a few meters wide, from there textures will be enough. EDIT: np Dermmy :)

Dermmy
August 24th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Select three or four 'grasses' and repeating them will have significantly lower impact on fps than using lots of different grasses. You only need grass right up close to the tracks - no point having it in the background. Use grasses (and all detail) to force the viewers eye to where you want it....

1st rule of Surveyor: Exercise restraint!

Andy :)

Edit - simultaneous post, not repeating the above ;)