PDA

View Full Version : WHAT JUST HAPPENED????

jytte
August 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Some may have seen this thread http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=29726
that I have posted over the last few days.
This is sort of related.

I've been having numerous problems with CMP. But this latest development has me baffled :eek:

As of yesterday, I had 1550 "faulty" items installed on my CMP. I had disabled all of them. I had also re-enabled them at some point, and frankly I cannot remember if they were all disabled or not last nite (I was at the point of going to re-install and start from scratch).

But, this morning I went to CMP again (just to see if I could save a few more items to cdp before starting over). It started up, and gave me the usual message "updating database, please wait". As opposed to the last many days, it did not go "non responding" but kept "running". I waited and waited, determined to give it another chance. After 45 minutes, I couldn't stand it any longer and hit the "esc"key.

Now comes the fun part: CMP is working (so far). And there a NO (zero, nada) faulty items whatsoever! There are no disabled either. I double checked on some assets that I know by name, that were faulty as of yesterday, and now they're not!

This would be good news indeed, if I could only believe it :o

What just happened here????????

UPDATE: I was right in not believing. I just deleted one of the assets, that I knew as "faulty". Then downloaded it from DLS again, and now it shows faulty!

ianwoodmore
August 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM
When you say you double checked known faulty did you just eyeball them? If so Open for Edit and Commit.

It sounds to me, considering the length of update, that assets files went walkabout and you got a rebuild. In which case CMP hides faults until you reopen the asset. This started about TRS2006 SP1 and is very annoying behaviour.

You can minimise the impact of this by installing TAD Monitor found at http://trainz.ws/tarl/ in the Utilities page. TAD Monitor always protects against assets files loss.

ICE6404
August 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
You should make a book "The Odd and Mysterious adventures of Jytte"

Good Luck,

ICE6404

A vote for me is a vote for me

jytte
August 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
You should make a book "The Odd and Mysterious adventures of Jytte"

I might just do that, it's not hard to get material when one is working with this software
http://simpit.christrup.net/SIM/privpics/rofl.gif

Zwabberaar
August 16th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I might just do that, it's not hard to get material when one is working with this software
http://simpit.christrup.net/SIM/privpics/rofl.gif

Try to get anything done in TC3 ... it will be serialized.

backyard
August 17th, 2008, 12:16 AM
:cool: Hello jytte,

You can greatly improve your connectivity with TRS2006, by moving the folder to C:/TRS2006.

Then, run TRS, and afterwards, run CMP.

Yes, you can use esc. to stop the upgrading of the database, as soon as you open Content Manager Plus.

Disabling assets, you should only do this if you absolutely don't use them.

If your having trouble with content not working correctly, hit CTRL+SHIFT+E, go into the config file, see if there is a script tag, and make sure the .gs file, is in the folder....

I have TRS2004, and use TrainzObjects to help find the .gs or .gsl files, and copy them to a folder called Trainz Script Files, on desktop, or a Documents/Planet Auran Folder.

The scripts used in a coal car for example, are Hopper.gs files, that must be added to the folder of the car....each and every car....

It is hard to find arn_afx_loco.gs files, that control auto-running numbers, locomotive compressor sounds, etc. But they are do-able.

Keep up the good work!

jytte
August 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hello Backyard, thanks for advice and support.

My CMP was in shambles, beyond repair. I've done a total delete and re-install. I'm starting from scratch again (having my own stuff on cdp, not a big problem), and THIS time I'm applying all my hard earned wisdom:hehe:
No more messing around with tons of stuff I don't want or need, and no more faulty assets. I'm applying some discipline in downloading, checking for faults etc. and If it's worth it I'll fix it, if not it's out in the cold again.

You know, it should be mandatory for all newbies, before we run out and buy Trainz, to spend 2 months reading through most of the threads here. But then again, we learn more from our own mistakes.

backyard
August 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
:cool: Hello jytte,

I found Auran TrainzRailroad Simulator, using Google.

There was a demo for UTC(Ultimate Trainz Collection), called UTC405.

I played with the demo six months before I could by a sim, TRS2004.

I studied the Auran Forums, every thread, even though I did not no what they were talking about(polygons, textures, scripts, etc.).

I visited the websites of people who had tutorials and such.

The Content Creator Guide appeared, and I printed it into a book, using a three ring hole punch, and a binder.

I studied the heck out of the Surveyor Help, and now do elevation mapping, for routes I wish to run.

Study, study study!

themnax
August 17th, 2008, 01:55 AM
i still haven't FOUND content creator guide. where do you find it?

(i also haven't gotten arround to getting sp-1, and now i'm not so sure i want it. i mean i know it'll make download helper work, and i'll be able to run layouts created in 2006, but don't see as i need either one, being perfectly happy to download cdp's as needed/wanted, by ftp and then commet them by hand. i'm also VERY leary of anything that will connect from my computer to the internet wihout my telling it to. right now, thanks to a little querk in my system, its not able to anyway. some would call this a bug and want to fix it. i prefer instead to keep it that way.)

=^^=
.../\...

jytte
August 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hello themnax,

You find the content creator guide here:
http://files.auran.com/TRS2004/downloads/contentcreation/Content_Creators_Guide.zip

This is for CCP obviously, which you won't be using if you're not using CMP, but it still has a world of information on how these assets work, and how the config.txt is build, VERY GOOD, have a read.