PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Cass, West Virginia.

steamdrivre
August 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Hi all,
Had a wonderful time and took lots of videos. I'll post them as I get to them but I do have a few up now.

Enjoy!

Rick

Stagefright
August 16th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing...that pic of #11's running gear is my favorite.

Darrel

steamdrivre
August 21st, 2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Darrel.

I've added an old 1905 caboose stove for those wanting to model one.

Have fun!

Rick

steamdrivre
September 8th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Here's another video I just put together which shows the 'neighborhood', the church and the sidewalks of Cass.
(It's at the very bottom of the page.)

:)
Rick

lornyk5
September 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks Rick, can't wait to watch it!:wave:
Would love to take the family there, maybe next year!

Lorin

steamdrivre
September 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Lorin,
It's a little boring after hours. They roll up the sidewalks at 5 pm and don't roll them out again till around 10-11 am. That's a lot of hours to do nothing in.
There are no towers, by law, so cell phones don't work and TV is very limited.
With a population of a few hundred, it's a real drag...
I planned to stay 5-6 days but couldn't stand the idle time so left after 3 days and really struggled through that third day.

Here's an interesting shot of an old flat car they plan on restoring someday. Don't know why, it's in pretty bad shape but the truss rods sticking out the far end I thought were very interesting.
I believe it dates back to around the turn of the century. Like 1905 or something.
(I have a video of it if anyone is really interested. It's a minute or so long.)

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/967/trussrodsva8.jpg

Enjoy!

Rick

WVSI
June 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
You definately got some nice videos! Cass does quietin' down after the last train of the evening leaves...that's when I go up and talk to the guys at the shop......