PDA

View Full Version : External links in DLS

jytte
August 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I have downloaded a few packs, that aren't laying on DLS itself, but is listed in DLS with a blue "download (ext)", and then links to the external site.

My question is, if I upload a route that uses these assets, will somebody, who downloads that route, then have to go chase all over creation for "missing assets", or will CMP be able to "find" these assets (and download them along with the other dependencies)???

philskene
August 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Hi jytte --

I've used assets that are from external links on the Download Station in my routes (PortOgden&Northern, RiversideRailroad, IndustRail, ... ). These are the 120ft turntable, and some other structures like coal stages and fuel cranes that are mounted on the VMD site.

All will download and will be installed automatically by Download Helper or CMP when the route itself is installed.

The only problem that I've ever experienced was when the links to VMD site went down. To give them credit, the dudes at VMD restored them very quickly.

Phil

jytte
August 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, then I don't have to worry about these things.
Thanks a lot.
Love that PortOgden by the way.

stagecoach
August 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM
The only thing that can happen is the external site closes and the link is no more.

jytte
August 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Yea, I can see that. When somebody goes through the trouble adding a link to DLS (and I didn't know you could do that), why not just upload the thing??