PDA

View Full Version : Making CDP's for Dummys

tads1
August 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
CDP for dummy's

How would one go about making a CDP,I have Pikkas original 37 sounds V2 or something,would I need to convert that back to the original,then clone it,then add my sounds over that,hell I hope that makes sense,it's a journey into the unknown for me,I really don't know what I'm doing so patience is a vitue:)

Any help appreciated.

If you want to listen to my modded sounds here they are:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlNsCW-V4A

Daz

johnwhelan
August 2nd, 2008, 03:09 PM
CDP for dummy's

How would one go about making a CDP,I have Pikkas original 37 sounds V2 or something,would I need to convert that back to the original,then clone it,then add my sounds over that,hell I hope that makes sense,it's a journey into the unknown for me,I really don't know what I'm doing so patience is a vitue:)

Any help appreciated.

If you want to listen to my modded sounds here they are:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlNsCW-V4A

Daz

Which version of Trainz do you have? If it TRS2006 or TC go into cmp and find something similar then right click it and clone.

After that make you changes then right click and save to .cdp.

Cheerio John

tads1
August 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I have 06 John,so I go to BR sounds class 37,clone it,then apply my changes,then save,leaving the old sounds it tact,ok got that,will give it a go.

Thanks for the quick reply:)

Daz

August 2nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
To add on when you clone a loco CMP will say it was made by you and if you already have the original in trainz there will be two versions.

johnwhelan
August 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
To add on when you clone a loco CMP will say it was made by you and if you already have the original in trainz there will be two versions.

Which is why you change the name in the config.txt file or use show kuid in trainzoptions.txt file.

Cheerio John

jytte
August 3rd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Why not make a new one? A clone can only be used locally, right?
That way you can share your sounds with the rest of us.
It doesn't take much longer to make a new one (in CCP)
I had a listen on Youtube, nice sound.

bnsf50
August 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Why not make a new one? A clone can only be used locally, right?
That way you can share your sounds with the rest of us.
It doesn't take much longer to make a new one (in CCP)
I had a listen on Youtube, nice sound.

Cloned objects of known working assets are ok to up load and save a lot of time compared to starting from scratch, as long as you replace the IM and or the sound file with your own and change all of the personal info including the user-name to make it your own. Its been done since the beginning of trainz. In 04 it was called copy and paste.

I should add that if you clone an object to repaint then it does need the original creators permission to upload.

jytte
August 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
Uh... if you clone an object, then change the personal info etc on it, then upload it, you have in effect stolen someone elses object, it seems to me. ??

JCitron
August 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
Uh... if you clone an object, then change the personal info etc on it, then upload it, you have in effect stolen someone elses object, it seems to me. ??

That is license-specific to the asset. Many contributors all another user upload copied assets as long as they give full credit to the original author. A good example would be all of the Alco RS3s up on the DLS.

Also as BNSF50 points out, this is also a good way to learn how to create the config files. Create your own asset, and use a created config file from a working asset of a similar type. In this case, all you need to do is change the information to match your own so that it is no longer has any association with the original item.

John

jytte
August 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I used cloning also as a learning tool. I cloned and then "fiddled" to my hearts content to learn how things were put together and how it worked (or not). That's one thing. But uploading?
Well, you're right of course if the asset says "do what you like with it", but it can be a little tricky, I think.
Anyways, I still think it's just as easy to make a new one. I'm actually making a "how to" (for dummies, like me) right now, to make it a little easier for people like me starting out.