PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Dependencies

mkerd261
July 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Every layout I have done has an orange faulty dependency tag. When I open it, it shows my user ID and a four digit suffice. Can someone tell me why this is happening. The config file looks normal. I am running TRS2006 SP1. Help will be appreciated.

collinsl
July 21st, 2008, 01:30 AM
In CMP, in the search window, in the drop down list there should be an option to search for faulty assets. Select this, and any asset that comes up here that is in your route is the cause of your problem.

They may not necessarily be your assets, but they can be a pain to fix!

themnax
July 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
so how DO you convert a "progressive mesh" to a "LOD" or whatever its called?

is there some quick easy magic conversion program to do this?

other "errors", a lot of them, things that 2004 wanted done one way and 2006 wants another can be fixed by editing config in a text editor.

then there are things that give you the black screen, but seem to work just fine anyway. i'm just repeating what i've seen other's have said here, so i'll just be quiet. but i have fixed a number of things successfully, where it's just like a tag that's no longer allowed or its content needs a different format, like "2000's " to "00"

=^^=
.../\...

PEV
July 23rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
You can't convert a Progressive Mesh to a Level of Detail mesh.. This message is a pain in the b....... Ignore it... TRS06, TRS04 etc all work OK with .pm meshes.

Only act on messages about textures being the wrong size, and parsing errors in the config.txt file. In TRS06 the content creator program can fix a lot of the parsing errors, but the texture sizes must be fixed with PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp or similar program. Texture images must be a power of 2 in size... eg 32x32, or 32x64, 128x128, 256x256, 256x512, etc. and the alpha image must be the same size as the texture image, if they are separate.

Read the content creation manual to get further info.

Content Creator will tell you if the textures are the wrong size.. Just fix the ones it highlights. Usually the alpha file is the wong size.. just resize it to match the main texture file. Take careful note of what CCP tells you... It is tricky at first but usually there is a pattern... I repaired a heap of items for the Brisbane South route to make it work in TRS06... it became quite repetitive after a while....but when done the route worked a treat.

This is one of the reasons that Auran made the content manager and content creator programs, so that content built by us (the Trainz community) is of a common standard.... Much of the older content is inconsistent and causes errors for TRS06... You have two options..1. fix it as above or 2. delete content with errors from your routes.

Have fun...

AHSAN
July 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
Hello

Download CMP Error fix guide from UK Trainz Classics Website in PDF:

http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/guides.htm

Regards

Ahsan:)

themnax
July 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
thank you to both. got it. and downloading the pdf currently.

=^^=
.../\...

meridious
July 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I've spent the last few days fixing alot of this "so called" faulty content. At least 90 - 95 percent of the content I've fixed has spelling errors in the config or quotes in the wrong place. Even though CMP flags this content as faulty, it does not stop it from working. Three of the most common spelling errors in the configs are license, category and color. In my experiences, CMP does not allow for any variation of these spellings. In the US, we spell it color whilst in other countries it is spelled colour.

CMP will flag content as faulty even though it works perfectly. If you delete everything that CMP shows as faulty, you're not going to have alot of content to work with and enjoy.

lewisner
July 26th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Just a thought..."English" is spoken around the world and is the international language of commerce.In England, the word is spelled "COLOUR" and I am afraid any other spelling is incorrect.

Captain_Collins
July 26th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Just a thought..."English" is spoken around the world and is the international language of commerce.In England, the word is spelled "COLOUR" and I am afraid any other spelling is incorrect.

But American is the language of computers, so color is a common spelling in computer code.

meridious
July 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying. CMP doesn't allow any variances on spelling. Who's spelling is wrong or right is not the issue.

lewisner
July 26th, 2008, 12:48 PM
"But American is the language of computers, so color is a common spelling in computer code." I know.Highly ironic in view of the fact that both Computers and the Internet were invented in the UK...:(

jytte
July 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM

ooooh, you opened a big can of worms here :hehe:

ianwoodmore
July 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Trainz is Australian and they speak strine. Trainz sometimes spells like an Englishman then at others like an American. Microsoft spellcheck gets it wrong sometimes as well. So the question is moot. Trainz is Trainz and unless you spell like it does it will complain in CMP but probably work OK in the game. I like CMP warts and all. It has its quirks but it is a very useful tool. We just need to know when to take it seriously. Progressively it is getting better and we can help by pointing at the inconsistencies at TrainzDev website.

jytte
July 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
"But American is the language of computers, so color is a common spelling in computer code." I know.Highly ironic in view of the fact that both Computers and the Internet were invented in the UK...:(

This is turning into a funny thread. I just need to tell you all, that the computer was originally invented in Germany, and the internet in Switzerland! ;)

That said, who cares? We are all used to speak to each other via the internet in whatever language (and spelling) that works, and we all know the differences and live with them. I guess Auran shouldn't have made the program so picky.

I'd like to know though, what are the "dangers" of ignoring the "faulty assets"? I too have a route with about 40 "broken" assets (and there's bound to be many more before I finish it), but every one of them works just fine. So for now I just ignore it. The thing is, that when you're in surveyor building, you can't see that an asset you're using may be faulty.

I always wondered if something could be done - other than deleting the broken ones, and that leaves you with very little to use. This thread answers that question, but being that it's such a tricky thing, maybe my "ignore it" policy is not so bad after all?

lewisner
July 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM
From BBC History - "Have you ever wondered who invented computers? Meet Alan Turing, the father of programming science. ... Wednesday, April 28, 1999 Published at 16:57 GMT 17:57 UK UK Alan Turing ... "

From Wikipedia- "Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee OM KBE FRS FREng FRSA (born June 8, 1955) is an English developer who invented the World Wide Web in March 1989. With the help of Robert Cailliau, and a young student staff at CERN, he implemented his invention in 1990, with the first successful communication between a client and server via the Internet on December 25, 1990"

jytte
July 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, the world wide web was invented by Berners Lee (in Switzerland), but the internet was in fact invented by Vint Cerf, an american (in the 70's). So I guess we're both partially wrong and right:)

And frankly, I don't care who gets the credit, as long as I get to use it to discuss trains here on forum :D

jytte
July 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM
And if we are to have a discussion of computers, I guess we really have to go back to 3000 B.C. when they invented the abacus in Babylon http://simpit.christrup.net/SIM/privpics/rofl.gif

BLACKWATCH
July 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
And if we are to have a discussion of computers, I guess we really have to go back to 3000 B.C. when they invented the abacus in Babylon

Wrong, the abacus was not a computer.
A computer is something you can feed data to, and it works out the answer on it's own.
An abacus was a bunch of beads on a frame, that the Babylonian (who had been fed with data), used to help him work out an answer. :p

jytte
July 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, and that is a computer in it's simplest form, a PC work from the same principle.

Can we get back to Trainz?? I'd really like to know more about them "broken" assets.

BLACKWATCH
July 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Yes, and that is a computer in it's simplest form, a PC work from the same principle.

Well if you want to go that way, then the abacus wasn't the first computer, your fingers and toes were.

(another fact, "real Americans are called Indians") :D

jytte
July 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
you got me there :o

Tony_Hilliam
July 28th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Fascinating discussion...and slightly off topic :p

I'll see if multiple spelling can be allowed for TS2009.

Leaving errors is generally quite safe but if the route doesn't work or crashes, then you probably do need to try and fix the offending asset.

Tony

nismit
July 28th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Posting deleted.

dlevine99
July 28th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Only act on messages about textures being the wrong size, and parsing errors in the config.txt file. In TRS06 the content creator program can fix a lot of the parsing errors, but the texture sizes must be fixed with PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp or similar program. Texture images must be a power of 2 in size... eg 32x32, or 32x64, 128x128, 256x256, 256x512, etc. and the alpha image must be the same size as the texture image, if they are separate.

Most of the texture errors that I have seen in DLS content have been caused by obsolete xxxx.texture.txt files. If someone changed an asset so that it no longer needed a texture 04 would work just fine if you forgot to remove the unused texture.txt files - 06 tries to check all textures and sees this as an error.

If you find a texture.txt that refers to a non-existant texture just remove it. Move it to a safe place temporarally just in case you are wrong.

Another common error is found in reskins when the original had a separate alpha texture and the reskin doesn't. I found that editing the texture.txt file to make the alpha the same as the primary usually works.

jytte
July 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks all,

I've just made my first reskin, since I needed a hopper with some danish text on it. I noticed that it comes up telling me that the template (very few, and the only ones I can access, sigh) was made for 2004 (which is cute, when you get it with 2006) and reports errors already, before I even touch it. If I just paint it, it comes out "clean", but when I add a new item to the "load list" (I need to load sugar beets, which most cars for lord only knows what reason won't let you), I immediately get a "faulty" asset, although it works just fine in the layout.

I admit I understand little of what's in that config text file, I just snooped around in it and happened to find the load list area, and tried to add the beets just for the heck of it (I cloned first to be safe), and lo and behold it works!

I must say CMP is an odd feature with lots of quirks that I'm just starting to figure out, but It's better than nothing.