PDA

View Full Version : water or texture

stevepie1
May 6th, 2008, 12:47 AM
would anyone know if it would be better to use the auran water or paint texture for the ocean, as far as fps is concerned on a large island layout i am working on..many thanks:) :)

Dermmy
May 6th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Large bodies of 'water' are not particularly fps-friendly. For an 'ocean', I'd probably use ground textures....

Andy :)

stevepie1
May 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM
thanks for that andy,i thought as much..i,ve had no trouble with rivers with the default water but i thought many,many boards wouldn't go down real well with fps

advance
May 6th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I'd suggest textures too.

I found the Auran water to be unfriendly and somewhat unrealistic so I collected a number of textures which, if not perfect, certainly look a heck of a lot better.

Have a search through the DLS for sands, water, ocean etc, experiment on a blank board then delete what you don't like and go with the rest.

Regards,

Brett

stevepie1
May 6th, 2008, 01:17 AM
thanks also brett:)
i,ve tried a german river spline with one of the marias pass textures for a river flowing to the sea and it works much better.have also been able to make quite a passable breaking wave :) :)

Zwabberaar
May 6th, 2008, 02:14 AM
thanks also brett:)
i,ve tried a german river spline with one of the marias pass textures for a river flowing to the sea and it works much better.have also been able to make quite a passable breaking wave :) :)

Perhaps you should show some of your work in the screenshots forum. I would be interested to see how you have managed and might learn a few things.

lewisner
May 6th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Theres an "Horizon Backdrop" which you could use instead of building the whole ocean as far as the Draw Distance.

Paulsw2
May 12th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I would welcome some tips on how to do breaking waves, this would go well with my new layout.

Paul

lewisner
May 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Theres a "Very Rough Water" available on the DLS but I think I am correct in saying that breaking waves are impossible within the context of a normal PC - the scale of random movement requires gigantic amounts of processing power.

bernhart_lossiemouth
May 13th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Time for supercomputer!