PDA

View Full Version : A Question and waffle

May 5th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hey all

I was just thinking after seeing the - number thread about how do i and etc and i was thinking if there was anyone else out there like me.
When i first brought trainz ( trainz original ) i diddn't have the internet or anything like that to find out what to do i taught myself ( almost ) all the things you need to run trains. When i brought trainz 2004 i taught myself how to use AI and all the other stuff availible then when we got an internet connection i learnt how to download and find missing dependencies ( yep you guessed it ) all by myself. ONCE again when trainz 2006 came out i learnt how to use CMP ( or just only how to download stuff nothing else ) and then i joined the forum ( diddn't even know what the hell a forum was till then :) )and learnt to make myself even better and find out things i haddn't thought of before.

So is there anyone esle out there who taught themselfs how to play trainz without any help from forums etc?

Gosh now that was a huge post for me ( i like life stories :o :hehe: )

Thanks
Anthony

big_b
May 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Add me to the list

Dave

MAGLEVSX
May 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Put me down on that list too!:D

bernhart_lossiemouth
May 5th, 2008, 02:45 AM
No i am the opposite actually. I look it up, like a man in the library.
Bernie

Ferngren
May 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM
And another.... but I must admit I've asked about things not covered in the Manual or CCG.

crman123
May 5th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I joined the forum right after TRS2006 came out, I already had Trainz, and TRS2004. I also pretty much am self taught in the ways of that. I lurk here primarily...

*goes back to lurking*

May 5th, 2008, 03:10 AM
And another.... but I must admit I've asked about things not covered in the Manual or CCG.

Oh thats fine almost everyone has done that:) I mostely mean learning how to use surveyor etc :D

Anthony
PS : Thanks for the response everyone.

angelah
May 5th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Put me at the bottom of that list.
I bought Trainz, then UTC and ended up with TRS2004. I have stuck with that because I cannot see any major advances in 06.
My learning curve was in Trainz, I just clicked on things to see what they did and learnt that way. It's perhaps the easiest way of finding out how things work, you can always go Back or Cancel, the same as other things on your PC. And you soon find out what not to do....
If you get chucked out then just restart the program....

In recent times I have posted for help and received it, that's what the forums is for, but my usual route is to try things out first and if they fail then I post.

Angela

gzerovti
May 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Hi,

I dont consider my "How can I" thread as "Waffle" I am angry and dismayed to hear that people think this!

I thought the idea of a forum was to help people some of whom may not be as PC literate as others.

I have made it clear that I am new to Trainz.

I have joined this forum because I thought I could get help, which in the main I have had so far.

I have spent hours this weekend lokking at CMP and clicking on things and seeing what they do and so far I have been unsuccessful.

Everything I have done does not lead me to clearing my main problem of finding my files to edit!!!

I agree experimenting is the best way but when all else fails who do you turn to.

If this is classed as waffle then I see no point in having a forum.

Terry

Zwabberaar
May 5th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Hi,

I dont consider my "How can I" thread as "Waffle" I am angry and dismayed to hear that people think this!

I thought the idea of a forum was to help people some of whom may not be as PC literate as others.

I have made it clear that I am new to Trainz.

I have joined this forum because I thought I could get help, which in the main I have had so far.

I have spent hours this weekend lokking at CMP and clicking on things and seeing what they do and so far I have been unsuccessful.

Everything I have done does not lead me to clearing my main problem of finding my files to edit!!!

I agree experimenting is the best way but when all else fails who do you turn to.

If this is classed as waffle then I see no point in having a forum.

Terry

Have you, by any chance, instead of just clicking around aimlessly, taken the opportunity to read the forums here or the manual that comes with the simulator? I dare say that most if not all problems and information is already available in either of these two media.

in other words: your questions are indeed waffle if you haven't tried to acquire the information yourself in other manners then befouling the forums.

gzerovti
May 5th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I am not clicking around aimlessly!

I am carrying out structured actions as per the manual but I still cannot locate any files that I have created!!! If I could at least find these files then I could edit them.

My questions are repeat NOT WAFFLE!!!.

I read again the instructions for finding files in the CMP and there are no files there???

In DRIVER the files are all saved, but where are they. That is all the information that I want.

If I am not allowed to ask questions then I may as well leave this forum.

Terry

ColPrice2002
May 5th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Add me to the list as well - I started on 2004, then 2006.
I di make sure that I bought the vesions with printed manuals - I just can't get on with an online manual it means forever opening windows, hunting throught the screens, losing the place etc.

It's one of the big downsides of having everything on a DVD.

I've asked questions here wen I can't find a way to do what I want, and every time I've had helpful suggestions.

Terry, as far as I an see this isn't a go at you - as 0099 (anthony) wrote there are lots of people asking for help which is already in the manual.
It's one of my pet niggles, but I'll not rise.

All the best,

Colin

tume
May 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Ok:
This is the first time, I ever use a forum! Hope, I do right. I bought Trainz 1.1.1 about 2002. Got several help from the learning centre and some people answered little special questions about creating complicated steam locos and so on.

So, I would be proud to find myself at your list as well :D

PS: Check what I did from my first Trainz until today by watching the videos at www.myspace.com/tume_um (http://www.myspace.com/tume_um) - if you want to ;-)

Mike10
May 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
CMP User Guide -> http://www.rail-sim.co.uk/content.htm

Mike.

leeferr
May 5th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Terry
I'd help if I could, but I don't use 2006. Good luck to you.
Mike

mistermoet
May 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Just call me Mr Trial and Error and add me to that list ha ha

seward
May 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I also taught myself about Trainz. I remember how amazed I was when I first started track laying in Surveyor. I could use unlimited amounts! I have had help form this forum when I have asked questions, and also, tried my best to help others.

I have now, finally, bought a copy of 2006, mainly to find out for myself what it is really like. But this does not mean that I'll be turning my back on 2004.

Just curiosity, really. So, please, add me to your list, too.:)

May 6th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Terry

Huh? Im sorry but i have no idea what your on about.... I NEVER said anything about ANYONES thread.

patchy
May 6th, 2008, 02:00 AM
hi,
this is my first computer and i'm 46 and i've learnt about 95% of everthing
by the provern method of "trial and error"
anyhow nothing wrong with a bit of wafferling now and then
some people just take things too seriously

cheers,
patchy

JCitron
May 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I do ask questions once in awhile when I need them, but for the most part I've figured out most of the stuff on my own.

When first copy of TRS2004, I logged into the forums and then set out to figure out things on my own. When I started using Surveyor, I went in and inspected other people's routes that I had downloaded. This gave me ideas on how to lay tracks and even do things better than what I saw. Not long after the diddling around, I started on my own route which has been expanded to about 89 miles now and was restarted once due to some system technical difficulties.

Today I've taken my experience and use this to help others who are following the same path, and are stumbling on many of the same things I did. I also help anyone who asks a question nicely no matter how dumb the question may appear to some of the new folks here on the forums.

John

sethmcs
May 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Experience is absolutely the best teacher but the funny thing is once you are experienced what you really know is what questions to ask from whom.:hehe: With that said the forum is a treasure trove of information about trainz.

May 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Have you, by any chance, instead of just clicking around aimlessly, taken the opportunity to read the forums here or the manual that comes with the simulator? I dare say that most if not all problems and information is already available in either of these two media.

in other words: your questions are indeed waffle if you haven't tried to acquire the information yourself in other manners then befouling the forums.

A welcome new member - offered help, no, accused of befouling the forum.
I know there are moderators out there, but can they not tighten their grip on what can only be described as a nasty..........................

IM

May 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I've asked the odd question now and again and always recieved a valued response.............as with many progs..I have worked them out myself and tried this and that. Push the button and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!! It's all about learning...........

IM

Zwabberaar
May 7th, 2008, 05:52 AM
A welcome new member - offered help, no, accused of befouling the forum.
I know there are moderators out there, but can they not tighten their grip on what can only be described as a nasty..........................

IM

Poor Ian, I am hurting your taste in decency? Are my words and the way I approach stupidity to recognizable for you? Why don't just let the anger that is inside reach boiling point and let it out so you can truly say what you would want to instead of using the dotted escape?

Keeping in all that venom inside will grow you an ulcer dear friend.

How pathetic can one be when in public asking a moderator to use a whip. I weep for you dear Ian.

amigacooke
May 7th, 2008, 06:08 AM
I keep having flashbacks ....... OverlordNZ, is it you? ;)

May 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Quickly using 'the dotted escape'.................and I thought it was just dots.

Cheers,

IM

May 7th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I came across this in another forum, obviously as a response to a two month ban, or so the text says...............(ooh dots again!!!!!!!!!)
Quote....
Zwabberaar (http://z9.invisionfree.com/Boemeltje/index.php?showuser=1)
Posted: May 7 2008, 10:04 PM

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/Zwabberaar/Boemeltje/images/quote.gif (http://z9.invisionfree.com/Boemeltje/index.php?act=Post&CODE=06&f=12&t=22&p=543982)

Ogen en Oren

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

http://209.85.48.10/style_images/1/spacer.gif
Of course it didn't really come as a surprise when I found out today I ahd been banned from the Auran Forum.

It was fun to see though that the worst of all moderators there ... yes you Boco ... found it necessary to find four insulting posts in order to give me a two month ban instead of the more common warning and then a ban.

Boco has proved to be the ultimate coward. Why? He manages to makes a snide remark towards me as a final post in a topic he then closes. Isn't that more then pathetic?

There is more. The one time he contacted me by PM I explained to him why I commented in a topic ( defending the work of AmazingMike ... oh irony ) the way I did. My explanation costed me 50 ban points because he interpreted my reply to him as a personal insult http://209.85.48.10/12961/53/emo/nuts.gif

The last two weeks he has personally closed almost all if not all the topics I have opened on the Auran Forum. I swear he most be jealous of the size of my penis or something to hold such a grudge.

Be warned Boco ... I will be back on July 7th ... don't book your vacation around that date.

Firstly, I apologise for posting this 'quote' but feel that we all deserve to be aware of the extent some individuals are prepared to go. and I came across it by conventional means as i am sure many others have...............(dots).................
The ban does not seem to have had any other effect on this individual than to motivate this forum member to further confrontation...and a reference is made to how much fun is being generated. Quote. 'I'll be back on July 7th'.

I've had a couple of responses from this individual, as many others have had. which I regard as provocative and simply intended to intimidate.

Regards to all,

Ian

leeferr
May 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Ian
just do as I do...(dots)...ignore him. I value my time more than to give him a second thought.

That's my first thought, now I'll dedicate my second thought to something worthwhile.

Mike

May 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks Leeferr,
for your response....reassuring.
Focussing on what this is all about.....Trainz.

Ian

May 8th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Aww please don't get into a fight in my thread...

I diddn't do anything to anyone so why are you's ruining it by fighting:n:

Anthony

AJ_Fox
May 8th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Yes this is a good point. Threads in the Auran Trainz Forum are not for target practice. If you want to have a lively discussion with another Trainzer, take it outside please.

Cheers

AJ

patchy
May 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Yes this is a good point. Threads in the Auran Trainz Forum are not for target practice. If you want to have a lively discussion with another Trainzer, take it outside please.

Cheers

AJ

i agree
cheers,
patchy

seeseeme
May 8th, 2008, 06:14 PM
AJ I quite agree with you on this one.

Anthony, do you know there is a Waffle Wagon and a Loco on the DLS, you may like these in your collection :hehe: and to use on your layouts. Just a thought last night while watching TV. There are some other "Auran" Rolling Stock around as well. If you would like to look at them, let me know and I will look them up for you.

Try these kuids;

50587:12501
70337:413

Have fun and do not worry about the problems of others.

Craig
:):):)

December 23rd, 2008, 01:34 AM
With alot of new members i thought i should bring this back and see what happens :)

All new people to this read first post in thread.

Anthony

JCitron
December 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
With alot of new members i thought i should bring this back and see what happens :)

All new people to this read first post in thread.

Anthony

I'm glad you brought this thread back to life.

John

Iced8383
December 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
I had Trainz 2004 for about a month before I joined this community to get some downloadable content. I taught myself to play the game before I got a new computer. And the result is...this post.

Thomas_The_Tank100
December 23rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
You can sign me up on the Self-Taught list. I only learned of this forum after I uninstalled Trainz 2004.
~TTT100~

Sylvicolus
December 24th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I am definitely in the trial and error group. But I have also learned by reading many posts on the forum, any tutorials I can find, and searching for more information. I do read the manual from cover to cover, but there are many finer aspects to Trainz that I would not even guess to ask about, especially getting AI drivers to behave, that you can learn from others. Such as, laying track down in the intended direction of travel, allowing breathing space between turnouts, best methods for placing signals, switch levers, etc. Patience helps a great deal but also keeps me up until 4 or 5 AM :o

March 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hey all

I was just thinking after seeing the - number thread about how do i and etc and i was thinking if there was anyone else out there like me.
When i first brought trainz ( trainz original ) i diddn't have the internet or anything like that to find out what to do i taught myself ( almost ) all the things you need to run trains. When i brought trainz 2004 i taught myself how to use AI and all the other stuff availible then when we got an internet connection i learnt how to download and find missing dependencies ( yep you guessed it ) all by myself. ONCE again when trainz 2006 came out i learnt how to use CMP ( or just only how to download stuff nothing else ) and then i joined the forum ( diddn't even know what the hell a forum was till then :) )and learnt to make myself even better and find out things i haddn't thought of before.

So is there anyone esle out there who taught themselfs how to play trainz without any help from forums etc?

Gosh now that was a huge post for me ( i like life stories :o :hehe: )

Thanks
Anthony
yep thts what i did,but i bought ts2006 first[

Snowhill
March 7th, 2009, 04:44 AM
If all else fails..... read the manual... :hehe:
Dennis

meatloaf747
March 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
[quote=Snowhill;412309]If all else fails..... read the manual... :hehe:
Dennis[/quote

Now Dennis, I'm assuming your not the original famous "Dennis the menace" as this has to be one of the more straight forword sugestions I have read in the forum in a while... "please, if all else fails, read the manual"
Now some might see these comments as being alittle harsh, and maybe they are... but...
I was taught at an early age in life that you have to learn to walk before you can run...
Please take the time to read thru the manual/s, and if you still have any questions or problems, there are dozens (no sorry, hundreds) of people here that are happy to do there very best to try and help you...
Cheers, Mac...

Footnote for newbies; The question you are possibly asking; What manuel??? Most of the original trainz'ers would probably recommend that you read the TRS2006 manuel, if you have access to it....

falcon500
March 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I might be newbie on this forum but I've had Trainz for a fair while now UTC then 2004. Just jumped in boots and all at first, made lot of mistakes curves too sharp, trees, floating in the air. The PC I was using was that far below recommended specs most rolling stock was white. Since then I've worked out how to do most thing and now have a decent PC. I'm now working on a DEM route of a Southern Pacific line. Reckon I've come a long way since my wife bought me UTC a few years ago.
Cheers falcon500