PDA

View Full Version : NO UPDATES AGAIN!!!!!!!

warpnine
April 28th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Have been waiting for two weeks - no DLS updates, what is the problem - have a first class ticket and am getting fifth class service!!!! [Pa, USA].

Zwabberaar
April 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Nonsense! The last update was 10 days ago and not 14. Also, the FCT doesn't include daily updates but lifts the speed and download quota limits.

warpnine
April 28th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I've had this happen several times!!! Everyone says updates are occuring yet I see nothing!!!! Then inconsistantly I see updates. You can't tell me everything is fine when this seem to happen on an almost regular basis. My best guess is a seperate server is not catching the updates. I complain, but get no Auran service!!!!

BLACKWATCH
April 28th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I suppose it depends on which catagory you are looking for updates, against which catagories the creators are uploading for.
The Trainz staff are few in number, with many tasks to perform & can only place on the dls, the items that are submitted without faults, by the membership.
I am fairly sure that there are still plenty of items on the dls that you do not have on your hard drive, download those whilst you are waiting.

Reynaud2
April 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Why is no-one from Auran responding to this thread. As far as I can see the last item uploaded was 18th April and as it is now 29th, that is 11 days, at least it is in the maths system I was taught.

Maybe they've just gone off on holiday or something but it would be nice, even polite, if the members were given an explanation.

Reynaud2

Zwabberaar
April 29th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Why is no-one from Auran responding to this thread. As far as I can see the last item uploaded was 18th April and as it is now 29th, that is 11 days, at least it is in the maths system I was taught.

Maybe they've just gone off on holiday or something but it would be nice, even polite, if the members were given an explanation.

Reynaud2

Why don't you read some of the dozens of other topics about the same subject? There you will find why there are less updates and why there are hardly any posts by Auran employees.

Reynaud2
April 29th, 2008, 07:49 AM
A search for 'No Updates' doesn't actually produce very much and no answers have been posted in this thread, not even from yourself.

Perhaps you would like to provide references to the first dozen threads you have found, so we can learn what the cause of the problem is?

Reynaud2

Zwabberaar
April 29th, 2008, 08:07 AM
A search for 'No Updates' doesn't actually produce very much and no answers have been posted in this thread, not even from yourself.

Perhaps you would like to provide references to the first dozen threads you have found, so we can learn what the cause of the problem is?

Reynaud2

I already know why so I don't need to look for it. I am not very willing to do your job. Just type in "DLS" in the search and all your questions will be answered.

Lacker
April 29th, 2008, 08:09 AM
You don't have to look very hard,Going to the DLS/FCT forum shows up several threads on this subject.
Bruce

Reynaud2
April 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I already know why so I don't need to look for it. I am not very willing to do your job. Just type in "DLS" in the search and all your questions will be answered.

Typing in "DLS" in the search actually gets "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." even in advanced search and searching All Open forums.

I read a post the other day from someone who was pleased that there were so many friendly people on the forum who were prepared to help with answers to his questions. Obviously not all are so helpful.

Reynaud2

Zwabberaar
April 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Typing in "DLS" in the search actually gets "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." even in advanced search and searching All Open forums.

Obviously not all are so helpful.

Reynaud2

Correct. Especially when the ones who ask question waste their time answering my inane posts instead of using their brains to look for the answer themselves.

There is a whole forum named DLS and FCT. Why don't you move your complaining self over there instead of whining about my posts?

Reynaud2
April 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
You don't have to look very hard,Going to the DLS/FCT forum shows up several threads on this subject.
Bruce

Hi Bruce

The last I can see is 'Any signs of life on the DLS today' which was started on 7th April but there were a lot of updates on the DLS between that and the 18th. Since then there have only been a few posts to the thread and they were mostly about uploads.

In the DLS/FCT others, more senior than I, are asking the same question currently so I'm not the only one who can't find a current answer.

Reynaud2

Reynaud2
April 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Correct. Especially when the ones who ask question waste their time answering my inane posts instead of using their brains to look for the answer themselves.

There is a whole forum named DLS and FCT. Why don't you move your complaining self over there instead of whining about my posts?

I'll not respond to your insults.

I assume from the tenor of your reply that you'll be glad to know I'll not respond to any more of your "inane posts".
Reynaud2

jimisham
April 29th, 2008, 08:51 AM

I read a post the other day from someone who was pleased that there were so many friendly people on the forum who were prepared to help with answers to his questions. Obviously not all are so helpful.

Reynaud2

As you've discovered, Search won't recognize any words with 3 or fewer letters.

Zwabberaar
April 29th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'll not respond to your insults.

I assume from the tenor of your reply that you'll be glad to know I'll not respond to any more of your "inane posts".
Reynaud2

Yet there you are again. :wave:

Lacker
April 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Steady on lads,taking your frustrations out on each other,doesn't really help and will,in all probability,result in the thread being pulled.

Reynaud2, I didn't actually say,the other threads provided an answer,I was merely trying to direct you to them.Sorry if I mislead you. I am afraid we just have to accept the downloads,as and when they appear.Hopefully things will improve,in time.
Regards Bruce

Reynaud2
April 29th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Steady on lads,taking your frustrations out on each other,doesn't really help and will,in all probability,result in the thread being pulled.

Reynaud2, I didn't actually say,the other threads provided an answer,I was merely trying to direct you to them.Sorry if I mislead you. I am afraid we just have to accept the downloads,as and when they appear.Hopefully things will improve,in time.
Regards Bruce

Sorry Bruce. No, I didn't mean to suggest that you inferred that the other threads had answers to the current blockage of updates to the DLS.

Thanks for your help.

Reynaud2

Forest_Runner
April 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Totally neutral post.....but does it really matter if there are no updates for a little while??

Whether I download content on the 1st of a given month or 16th or the 23rd.....I still get the content. Right??

Zwabberaar
April 30th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Totally neutral post.....but does it really matter if there are no updates for a little while??

Whether I download content on the 1st of a given month or 16th or the 23rd.....I still get the content. Right??

Correct! It seems though that some people fear the heavens will fall on their head when there isn't a daily update of the DLS.

pommie
April 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM
OK you have finally got me to reply to one of these inane threads.

Could someone please show me where it is written that the dls is updated on any kind of regular basis, all I see on my box is that there are thousands of items on the dls to be downloaded.
Just because Auran DID update it at frequent intervals does not mean that they have to, it doesn't even mean that they have to update it ever again :hehe:

Anyone that knows me also knows that I am not an Auran yes boy, but these 'Auran must' or I will complain incessantly, or even sue, threads by cry babies are becoming an every day occurrence that only serve to push down the more interesting threads.

David

Sourdough
April 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
OK you have finally got me to reply to one of these inane threads.

Could someone please show me where it is written that the dls is updated on any kind of regular basis, all I see on my box is that there are thousands of items on the dls to be downloaded.
Just because Auran DID update it at frequent intervals does not mean that they have to, it doesn't even mean that they have to update it ever again :hehe:

Anyone that knows me also knows that I am not an Auran yes boy, but these 'Auran must' or I will complain incessantly, or even sue, threads by cry babies are becoming an every day occurrence that only serve to push down the more interesting threads.

David
Preach it, brother!!...:cool:

VinnyBarb
April 30th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Preach it, brother!!...:cool:

Aahhh seeeeen da light.....

Hallelujah and Amen :p

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Reynaud2
May 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM

There are some people who like to check the DLS daily and upload any new content that may be of use to them. When the DLS is down for 2 weeks there is then a lot to check through when the backlog is uploaded.

A lot of us, whether positive, neutral, or negative to this thread probably check the forum daily too. If it was down for 2 weeks there would be a lot of posts to wade through to get up to date.

Reynaud2

bernhart_lossiemouth
May 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Jesus walks!

pommie
May 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
Jesus walks!

No he don't, he rides his ass :hehe:

Cheers David

angelah
May 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
A lot of us, whether positive, neutral, or negative to this thread probably check the forum daily too. If it was down for 2 weeks there would be a lot of posts to wade through to get up to date.

I see the point here. When there is a long gap there are often many. many pages to go through and it does take a considerable time. Fine if, like me, you're retired, but for those who must work finding the time to do a massive check must be a problem.

Of course others are quite right, Auran has never said there were going to be daily updates to the DS, so nobody has the right to grump about it, it is really, I think, the knowledge that the best part of a day is going to be needed to check through when the DS finally is upgraded.

Of course we all know the staff at Aura (Trainz) have been drastically cut and that is plainly going to affect aspects of the Internet here and on the DS, we must accept that, you can't fit two pints into a half pint pot.

For me this isn't a problem. I have a massive Despatcher file and all the assets I am ever likely to need, so many in fact that I have had to archive a load. And even those new to Trainz who are just starting out can still access this massive amount of free assets at any time, the only limitation of the 100 meg imposed by Auran, but that can be overcome with either patience or an FCT.

Anyway, that's my twopennyworth. Be patient with the people at Auran. We don't know what the working conditions are like there now, how much pressure each person is under etc. There are stacks of assets for everybody right now, new ones are just a bonus.

Angela

GreatEastern
May 1st, 2008, 05:07 AM
There are some people who like to check the DLS daily and upload any new content that may be of use to them. When the DLS is down for 2 weeks there is then a lot to check through when the backlog is uploaded.

Reynaud2

Probably not because if it was down for two weeks no one would be able to post so no post backlog... Btw I'd check that last post for confusion between the terms upload and download....

Pommie is spot on with this one. Besides get over it (and yourselves) its only a game and shouldn't be taken too seriously - its not a matter of life and death. Coping without a few assets won't damage your life and taking a little extra time to go through them isn't going to take over your whole life either. Use a little persepective.... always helps.

Andy

Forest_Runner
May 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM
Maybe just me, but compared to DLS updates there surely has to be more important things and challenges in life to worry about and/or be devoted to. :o

pommie
May 1st, 2008, 08:52 AM
OK so its only updated every now and then and there are pages and pages to dig through, I don't see the problem, you do not have to go through the whole lot in one sitting, try just going through the first 10 pages or so, then at a later date another 10 etc etc, that way by time you have finished it won't be that long until the next update.
What I don't get is if all this content is being downloaded, where are all the routes that have been made with it ?? because if you are not making routes why are you downloading content, just download a route and let CMP do its thing with the dependences.

Cheers David

Stationbeem
May 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
I dont see the point of all this. I have only been a member for a few weeks, and I understand the problems at AURAN. It just means you have to show a little patience. I just check the DLS once a week, If I dont find what I want I try later in the week. Oh I completely agree with Angelah.

May 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM

Hi all,
It's a long time since I have encountered. or overviewed such an agressive individual - it's just all confrontational stuff.
Personally, I don't have the slightest interest in the 'DLS' , but would like to see members who do, not having to deal with an individual who seems to be 'hell-bent' on causing confrontation.....
This forum got that out of it's system a long time ago.
I would like to see the inspiration and motivation behind such members, focussed on keeping our forum affloat rather than allowing these so-called members licence to cause mayhem.
Dare I say, 'Where are the Forum Moderators' to control the matter.....Mmmmm
Come on members, we're lucky to still have a forum, so stop the nasty guy stuff and all pull together in the hope that we can still be here 6 months, a year from now.

Best Regards to All,

Ian

frankovitch
May 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
updates were done today it seems, i just got a stack of confirm emails myself.

Rob
May 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
Yes, be nice everyone. :)

The recent uploads have now been approved.

Cheers!

~R~

Reynaud2
May 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hi all,
It's a long time since I have encountered. or overviewed such an agressive individual - it's just all confrontational stuff.
Personally, I don't have the slightest interest in the 'DLS' , but would like to see members who do, not having to deal with an individual who seems to be 'hell-bent' on causing confrontation.....
I would like to see the inspiration and motivation behind such members, focussed on keeping our forum affloat rather than allowing these so-called members licence to cause mayhem.
Come on members, we're lucky to still have a forum, so stop the nasty guy stuff and all pull together in the hope that we can still be here 6 months, a year from now.

Best Regards to All,

Ian

Well said Ian, let's get back to allowing members to ask their questions without fear of verbal attack.
Reynaud2

May 2nd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Well said Ian, let's get back to allowing members to ask their questions without fear of verbal attack.
Reynaud2

Many thanks for your support.

Ian

Zwabberaar
May 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Hi all,

Best Regards to All,

Ian

You must be living on an island Ian if I am the most aggressive individual you have encountered in a long time.

You want to know my inspiration and motivation to post the way I do? Come back to this forum about a week from now. The whole bunch of whiners will return and open a dozen topics just to complain that the DLS hasn't been updated for a few days.

Not one of them has read any post on the forum that deals with the same issue. That is what should bother you and not that I do indeed confront these individuals in an, apparently, by staff accepted manner.

You mistake aggressiveness for confrontational. Read up on it because there is a difference.

Reynaud2
May 2nd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Thank you very much Auran for the updates to the DLS. About 790 for Trainz 2004 - almost 40 per working day since the last update. You have obviously been working hard and we all appreciate that.

Thanks for also making this thread defunct.

Reynaud2

amigacooke
May 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Yes, be nice everyone. :)

Now you're really asking for miracles. ;)

Good to have some updates to look at, ta.

psycho_aussie
May 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM
People these days seem to be getting so impatient, to the point where things had to be done 3 days ago, and any delay could give them a cardiac arrest...

Chris

GreatEastern
May 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hi all,

Best Regards to All,

Ian

I want to speak up for Zwabberaar, his tone is more upfront that most but sometimes that is necessary and he certainly confronts the whingers who post a new thread instead of looking at exisiting ones every time.

Andy

Zwabberaar
May 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
Thank you for the support Andy. Most people who got to know me a bit will know I usually am a rather friendly man and have no problem investing time to help out in any way I can.

Sometimes though I find it necessary to speak up a bit more blunt and direct to get a message across that otherwise wont stick.

VinnyBarb
May 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Snip.........
Sometimes though I find it necessary to speak up a bit more blunt and direct to get a message across that otherwise wont stick.....Unsnip

After observing your replies and posts for some time and after reading here the pros and cons of what other people reply to these, I only have one question to you.

Who appointed you as moderator/policeperson/challenger of what you perceive to be wrong with whatever someone posts and asks here when it does not agree with you. I certainly would NOT tolerate the tone of some of your replies if this had been directed against me and would consider it as a slap in my face with a leather glove (if you get my drift). :o

Don't get me wrong, this is NOT an attack against you personally, it is just a general observation of what I see this forum is slowly becoming to. You seem to somehow rub up some people the wrong way with some of YOUR aggressive and challenging manner. You criticize others for their writing style and -skills as you perceive these (of being somehow wrong), yet if others speak up against your manner of replies, YOU seem to get somehow ruffled yourself and fill this forum with unwanted waffle. Just check/search these foras (forums) here of how many posts of yours contain helpful and meaningful replies and how many other posts of yours do not.

To me it seems you DO invite the replies you get and relish this if people get confrontational towards you. This post of yours some days ago where you invited people to call you names confirms this. Some trolls do this more openly, are YOU one of those?

Again, who appointed you to police and moderate this forum? To me, ANY post/reply is worth reading and/or replying to if I so desire, I do it in a civil, helpful manner, whether a person is dyslexic, has not had any good educational skills acquired in school or whatever. If I DO NOT like a post, I DO NOT reply to it! Easy!

You certainly DO NOT know why some people write the way they write or phrase their words, YOU might have been lucky to get a good education and hence you seem you are very conversant in the language you post.

That is you!

Others might NOT have been so fortunate with their education or skills they have acquired. Who are YOU to criticize this? They might be dyslexic, refugees, newcomers to the country they now live in or could have met other circumstances or hardships in their life.

Just for your information, I migrated to Australia some years ago from Europe and knew nothing of the use of the English language when I arrived in this lucky country and if this had hypothetically happened a year ago, I certainly would be criticized and picked on by you of my writing style and skill I then would have had. Yet, back where I came from I went to middle school back home, learned the Old Latin and Old Greek language and would have started to be taught English the year after I left school due to my family's hardship. Would this have made me an uneducated forum poster if this hypothetical situation had arisen? As YOU would have perceived it?

Just because some others do agree with you does not mean you are completely and absolutely right, after all this is a free forum, for ANYONE to express whatever they feel a need to in the appropriate forum and if their post is NOT CONFORMING to the Rules of Contact of this forum, WE DO HAVE MODERATORS here to sort this out.

Again I ask, who appointed you do be the JUDGE and JURY of such posts?

My opinion :(

Not so cheery

VinnyBarb

May 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Thank you for the support Andy. Most people who got to know me a bit will know I usually am a rather friendly man and have no problem investing time to help out in any way I can.

Sometimes though I find it necessary to speak up a bit more blunt and direct to get a message across that otherwise wont stick.

Hi there Zwabberaar,
I have no axe to grind with you and can assure you that I too, am a rather friendly man. Be assured that although now a music tutor, my past career has indeed involved aggressive, confrontational and as bad as they get individuals,. so I speak with experience when using the words I chose.....
The problem with this forum, like any other, is that many members fail to identify themselves fully. Apart from living in the Netherlands, I have no idea how old you are, which part of the Netherlands you come from, what your interests are, or basically anything other than an assumed id...... Zwabberaar. ( of course, none of this has to be provided).
As a moderator of other forums, I prefer to have some idea of each individual joining and think it's only fair to have some idea of to whom I am speaking/conversing or passing on data..
My point is simply, the tone of this forum is first and foremost, one of friendship and thereafter, a wllingness to help. It is not necessary to have to make points forcefully, bluntly or directly.
Having been a member of this forum for 6 or so years, I can assure you that I have experienced and witnessed just about every form of aggression and confrontation you could imagine .
As a forum dedicated to Trainz I feel we owe it to all members to help in any way we can to answer their individual queries and help with their problems. To categorise them as whingers is a little unfair.....we are all feeling a little let-down by Auran just now, but that's life.
We have to get on with what we've got and make sure and stick together. We all handle things differently and deserve a bit of slack here and there.

All the Best and thanks for your contributions Zwabberaar.........

Ian

May 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I want to speak up for Zwabberaar, his tone is more upfront that most but sometimes that is necessary and he certainly confronts the whingers who post a new thread instead of looking at exisiting ones every time.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Have no problem with your post and fully respect your point of view.

Best Regards,

Ian

Zwabberaar
May 3rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Again I ask, who appointed you do be the JUDGE and JURY of such posts?

My opinion :(

Not so cheery

VinnyBarb

Nobody did Vinny, and neither did anybody appoint you as my judge. Your entire post is one long accusation and conviction of my behaviour. What does that make you?

I am refraining from dissecting your epistle because it could only be interpreted as me judging you. ;)

However I would like to comment on one of your statements.

You come up with a great excuse for people not being able to use proper English on this forum. Those that have migrated from a non-English speaking country to an English speaking country and not having mastered the language yet.

Strange thing though is that everybody I have confronted with their bad skills never mentioned that English was NOT their native speech to their defence. Weird isn't it?

Secondly. Those people seem perfectly capable to demand from others to use proper English when they themselves benefit from it.

Zwabberaar
May 3rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Hi there Zwabberaar,
I have no axe to grind with you and can assure you that I too, am a rather friendly man. Be assured that although now a music tutor, my past career has indeed involved aggressive, confrontational and as bad as they get individuals,. so I speak with experience when using the words I chose.....
The problem with this forum, like any other, is that many members fail to identify themselves fully. Apart from living in the Netherlands, I have no idea how old you are, which part of the Netherlands you come from, what your interests are, or basically anything other than an assumed id...... Zwabberaar. ( of course, none of this has to be provided).
As a moderator of other forums, I prefer to have some idea of each individual joining and think it's only fair to have some idea of to whom I am speaking/conversing or passing on data..
My point is simply, the tone of this forum is first and foremost, one of friendship and thereafter, a wllingness to help. It is not necessary to have to make points forcefully, bluntly or directly.
Having been a member of this forum for 6 or so years, I can assure you that I have experienced and witnessed just about every form of aggression and confrontation you could imagine .
As a forum dedicated to Trainz I feel we owe it to all members to help in any way we can to answer their individual queries and help with their problems. To categorise them as whingers is a little unfair.....we are all feeling a little let-down by Auran just now, but that's life.
We have to get on with what we've got and make sure and stick together. We all handle things differently and deserve a bit of slack here and there.

All the Best and thanks for your contributions Zwabberaar.........

Ian

Dear Ian,

I now know you are a music teacher and that in a previous life have been confronted with people who rather beat your head in with their instruments then play a melody.

How is this ( and some other small personal details ) going to tell anybody anything about you? I think you over rate the value of personal details.

Am I all of a sudden making more sense when you know I am 39 years old, have been a teacher, a civil servant in the social security branch stealing money from the poor and that I am not married and don't have children?

Is this info true? Does this make you sit up and exclamate: "Ah HA! Now I understand."

Of course not.

As you have mentioned you have been a member here for 6 years. Good for you! You will also remember then the around Oktober 2006 the entire forum was shut-down because of the behaviour of its members? You were also part of that dear Ian.

This forum isn't more or less friendly then any other. It is a place to share, laugh, cry and battle ... almost like real life.

pommie
May 3rd, 2008, 08:02 AM
Dear Ian,

As you have mentioned you have been a member here for 6 years. Good for you! You will also remember then the around Oktober 2006 the entire forum was shut-down because of the behaviour of its members? You were also part of that dear Ian.

WRONG it was a complete hard drive array failure in the hosting service's server that took down the old forum, if you are going to insult another forum member at least get your facts straight.
And please stop trolling.

David

Zwabberaar
May 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
WRONG it was a complete hard drive array failure in the hosting service's server that took down the old forum, if you are going to insult another forum member at least get your facts straight.
And please stop trolling.

David

David, David, David ... why so angry?

I am glad you allow me to insult other members because my facts are indeed straight. The staff decided to have a forum time-out shortly BEFORE the HD failure. It were two separate incidents.

Boco
May 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Off whatever topic started this.

Boco