PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3

djpip
February 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hi All,

Although not fully out yet Windows XP SP3 is nearly in it's final release.

It is said that it can increase performence by around 10%.This might be useful if you want to get more out of trainz. I am currently running it with no problems and the install went smoothly.

Download Link (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=75ed934c-8423-4386-ad98-36b124a720aa&displaylang=en)

Thats where you download a small file that changes a few settings for the Microsoft Update Site.

Then go to Microsoft Update (http://www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) and check for updates. SP3 should be listed !

If you have any problems their is an official forum here ...

Link (http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=2010&SiteID=17)

Thanks Bye !

DJ PIP

SuperFudd
February 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Why would Microsoft be updating XP?? :eek: :o

psycho_aussie
February 26th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Honestly, since XP SP3 is still beta, I wouldn't recommend that every man and his dog install it. Even Microsoft themselves recommend that you do not use a beta SP on a production system (ie your everyday computer). If you know what you are doing, and the consequences, I would suggest taking a look at XP SP3, otherwise steer clear of it until the official release.

Chris

wmmeyer
February 26th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Direct quote from the Microsoft DL page:

Windows® XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system.

Whats the point?

pommie
February 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Whats the point?

Its meant for when you reinstall XP, it saves a large amount of small updates.

Cheers David

edion2
February 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Will "XP-SP3" access more than 3Gig. of RAM ???????

XP limitation of only 3Gig. RAM is my pet peave with XP . . . UNLESS, someone here knows a work-around for the XP/RAM limitation ?? !! :udrool:

I'm planning to wait another year before going to Vista. Its too RAM hungry.

collinsl
February 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM
XP 32-bit will only access 3GB of RAM, but XP 64-bit will access whatever the limit of your motherboard is.

ntesdorf
December 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Having received my 2010 installation discs, I inserted disc 1 and completed the steps to copying of files.
I entered this stage and received the message
"c:\program files\auran\TS2010. trainz.exe
An error occurred while trying to copy a file.
XCopy protection error.
The read failed because the sector is encrypted.
Click retry to try again, ignore to skip (this is not recommended) or abort to cancel installation".
After trying a few ignores, THe counter proceeded, but I felt that I was wasting time after a few hundred. I aborted.
Does anyone know what is going wrong here?:o

I have previously installed TS2006, TC3 and TS2009, but this is something new.:o

ntesdorf

tomurban
December 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM
This is an old thread and somewhat off topic. I recommend that you repost under the 2010 thread where it is more likely to be viewed by someone who can recommend a solution to your problem.

tomurban