PDA

View Full Version : Trainz and Hot Coffee

gus1911
February 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
I couldn't determine in which forum to put this. I figured this was as good as any.

I'm deadly serious about this, and I'm sure there are others of you out there that feel as I do.

Trainz and hot coffee go together like bread and butter. When I run Trainz, I need my cup of HOT coffee there beside me. I've tried several coffee warmers and that's exactly what they are - warmers. They keep the coffee about as warm as 2 hour old dishwater. And the coffee tastes about the same too.

Can anyone help me out here? I can't find a mug warmer, or mug heater that will keep coffee HOT anywhere. There has to be one somewhere. If anyone can provide me some proof (personal experience a must) as well as to where I can buy some kind of contraption to keep my coffee HOT, I would be grateful.:clap: I'd even be willing to consider a "finder's fee."

heaven7
February 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
When I'm making a Trainz route or driving a train before I do those things I make me a hot cup of Peppermint Tea and have some Pepper ridge Goldfish crackers.(Pizza flavor)

titaniclover
February 21st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Whoa...I can why you couldnt find the right forum!:hehe:

I've been drinking coffee since I was six, thanks to my aunt.

I've never had it when working with Trainz...and I drink right away so I never used cup warmers.

Try Walmart or some other store.:D :p

Cheers,
Adam
TCS Route Builder

gus1911
February 21st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Pizza flavored crackers won't do it for me. And as far as trying WalMart - I've tried every *.Mart there is from here to Upper Slabovia. Also every Google link. I've been searching on and off for weeks. :'(

john259
February 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
A few years ago one of the US discount store chains (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Pamida, I can't remember which) sold an inexpensive mini drinks heater which you can hang over the edge of a china mug. I just looked for it on the Wal-Mart site but couldn't find it. Maybe it's a matter of me not hitting the right keyword, maybe it's too low value an item to be listed online, maybe it's no longer on sale.

If you do find one, make sure it's in liquid whenever it's got power or the element will burn out. Oh, and I'd advise against using it in a plastic mug although I can personally certify that with considerable care and attention it can be used to make hot tea in Motel 6 mugs :)

John

BAMMARS
February 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Google "Cup Immersion Heater" or "Mini Kettle for Coffee".

Alan

lewisner
February 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Try running a big loco like the RENFE Confederacion and playing Heavy Metal music or something like "Metal On Metal" by Kraftwerk for the ultimate Trainz experience...:cool: :cool: :cool:

CasyJ
February 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
You must be a slow coffee drinker. I usually finish a cup 3 minutes after it leaves the decanter. Just move the coffee maker into your computer room. Wham-o. Instant hot coffee all the time.

gus1911
February 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
You gyze are a bundle of laffs - and I appreciate the humor. Nonetheless, I'll try googling for "the thing that hangs over the cup but be careful with it" gadget, and the mini kettle for coffee.

deeelare
February 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Gus1911,

If someone had said I would be discussing coffee warmers on the Forum today, I would --, well you get the idea !

Try an automotive store like Pep Boys or Kragens, They have/had ceramic coffee warmers that plug into a cigarette lighter, I found an old 12v transformer and removed the lighter plug and wired the transformer to the warmer.
Works like a dream !

Still can't beleive I'm typing this ---DLR

leeferr
February 21st, 2008, 01:21 PM
I too drink coffee while creating content or playing trainz, but I"ve never needed a cup warmer. I just drink it too fast I guess. It doesn't have a chance to get cold. Hope you find what you need.
Mike

john259
February 21st, 2008, 01:27 PM
In a major thirst emergency you can always warm up cold coffee in a china cup in a microwave.

John

wmmeyer
February 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM
I use an insulated all-plastic travel mug that holds about a half quart. Snap on plastic lid helps keep it warm a little longer. When it cools off, a quick dip in the microwave brings it back to operating temp. Being all plastic, its MW-safe.

I have it timed out just about perfect that the coffee needs warmed up at the same time my bladder needs emptied.

slave-driver
February 21st, 2008, 04:13 PM
I too drink coffee while creating content or playing trainz, but I"ve never needed a cup warmer. I just drink it too fast I guess. It doesn't have a chance to get cold. Hope you find what you need.
Mike
At least I'm not the only one. If my coffee gets cold it means I'm falling down on the job.:D

Bill

bisbeejim
February 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
I keep mine in a Thermos.
JC

gus1911
February 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm still looking. All I find are warmers, and I think I know why.

I ran across a comment by someone who also is looking for a coffee heater-upper and not a warmer. I don't need no stinking warmer.

This person sezz that our government stepped in and put an upper limit on the temperature that a warmer can reach. Why? So that we dimwits won't burn ourselves with coffee that's too hot!! Thank goodness for the Feds looking out for my safety.

I guess I'll have to look for a small hotplate. I sure hope no one from the Feds tracks my purchase and sees what I'm really going to do with it. I wonder if they'll let me run Trainz and keep my hotplate in jail?:confused:

Lacker
February 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Like bisbeejim I use a thermos flask,a rather ginormerous one.It is very effective and the last cup of coffee is nearly as hot as the original.Only downside,I have to keep abandoning the footplate to go off for a comfort break!!!
Regards Bruce

deeelare
February 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
I keep mine in a Thermos. JC
As this thread is a little open to humor:

When I was in the construction business, I was having lunch with a new employee, he asked me, "How do you keep your soup hot until lunchtime ?"
I said "It is a Thermos bottle, it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold ."
He decided he would buy one, and sure enough, next day he brought his lunch in a brand new Thermos.
I said " Great, what do you have in your new Thermos for lunch today ?"
He replied " A cup of hot soup and an ice cream bar for dessert !"

Sorry !! ---DLR

Rob
February 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Did any other GTASA fans get tricked by this thread? :D

LOL

~R~

Accipiter777
February 21st, 2008, 07:38 PM
This is too important of a topic to pass by. Hot cup of joe is VERY important in all aspects of being a trainzer. My wife (on the other hand) is tired of finding a row of 6 empty coffee stained mugs next to the computer. Guess I better take em downstairs....we are running out of mugs!

atsfrr3000
February 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
I usually drink pop or juice when sitting in front of my PC for extended periods of time, but on the occasion that I drink tea, I must agree....it's quite annoying to have it go warm, then cold before you can finish it! :confused:

Never been much of a coffee drinker, though...

AJ_Fox
February 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
You always do what I do and have the coffeemaker on your desk plugged in. :)

Cheers

AJ

Midland
February 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
I place my hot coffee cup on my map-sketches notebook. Paper has wonderful insulating properties and I find the random occurrence of coffee rings on my maps frequently gives me great ideas for track layout... :cool:

When I used to drive locos we would place our cups of coffee (or tea for that matter) on the "footwarmer"; this was a small electric heater placed against the cab sidewall roughly where the seated person's feet would be. The heaters had flat metal surfaces on top and would get very hot indeed. Some of them could even melt the rubber on your boot soles.

Which makes me think that a hotplate might be a solution to your problem...

Cheers

Nix

gus1911
February 21st, 2008, 09:55 PM
I'm sure the hotplate is the answer. Look at this!!

http://www.amazon.com/Bunn-BCW-Warmer-Home-Decanters/dp/B00023WAS0/ref=pd_sim_k_title_3

Click on the "3 customer reviews." :D

This is it. And they're available from many places all over the Net too. Yay!!:Y:

misterchugg
February 21st, 2008, 10:43 PM
hi guys

why wife gave me the ultimate in coffee keep warmers

she has a oriental tea/coffee set and all the cups have ceramic lids on them.
my coffee will stay hot for at least 20 minutes

i just love it, no more lukewarm or cold sludge to drink

cheers
ron

Bill69
February 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
In a major thirst emergency you can always warm up cold coffee in a china cup in a microwave.

John

There y' are. Move the microwave into the computer room.

Bill69

HiBaller
February 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
I'm planning to buy a hot computer system that will run Trainz and Flight Sim X with all the sliders to the right. It will have a fluid cooled CPU and GPU. This solves the hot coffee problem as long as you check the dipstick every once in a while as you drain off a cup.

Bill

lornyk5
February 22nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
Did any other GTASA fans get tricked by this thread? :D

LOL

~R~

I was thinking the same thing as you Rob:hehe:

I drink my share of coffee at my desk too, I have one of those huge insulated Tim Horton's travel mugs. It holds plenty and keeps it hot for a good while.

When the kids get older I'm moving the maker into the computer room:D

Lorin

Phil_C
February 22nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hello All
As they say "It's the little things in life that matter" :)

I use a Russell Hobbs coffee warmer. It was the only one I could find that did not plug into a USB port and that would take a standard size coffee mug. The only problem with it is it smelled like hot plastic for the first few weeks. Also make sure you turn it off when your cup is empty as it bakes the coffee remnants into the cup:) The weight of the coffee mug is enough to turn it on.

I purchased it from Ebay but I cannot find it on ebay now. I did however find the immerser (or a similar one) that was mentioned earlier here. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Norpro-Electric-Coffee-Tea-Cup-Immersion-Heater-NIB_W0QQitemZ320219212047QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20651Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638 .m122)

Regards

Phil

AussieNightcrawler
February 22nd, 2008, 02:08 AM
Something like this you all need:

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod3543.htm

I don't drink coffee, funny but true, I do though keep a big glass of LA Ice beside me at all times... :)

Phil_C
February 22nd, 2008, 02:14 AM
Something like this you all need:

http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod3543.htm

I don't drink coffee, funny but true, I do though keep a big glass of LA Ice beside me at all times... :)

Nope:) Tried one of them and it put too much load on the USB port. Caused all sorts of problems:)

Regards

Phil

AussieNightcrawler
February 22nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Oh ok, I just found it searching, but I would say that it draws a lot of power through the USB port, probably the reason... :)

DeRiCo
February 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
Why spend extra money on a warmer.
You probably already have a perfectly good liquid heater in the house.

Problem:
Half drunk cold cup of coffee.

Solution:
60 seconds in a microwave.

Result:
Hot coffee.

Dennis

collinsl
February 22nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Now I see why trainz is such a great community:D

As for the problem, I don't drink hot liquids as I had a nasty incident when I first tried tea that involved a trip to hospital and not being able to speak for three days...

Anyway, just take a light bulb and stick it in the tea. It is glass so it will not electrify the tea, and as long as you don't get the contacts wet, you should be fine.;)

Zwabberaar
February 22nd, 2008, 05:20 AM
Now I see why trainz is such a great community:D

As for the problem, I don't drink hot liquids as I had a nasty incident when I first tried tea that involved a trip to hospital and not being able to speak for three days...

Anyway, just take a light bulb and stick it in the tea. It is glass so it will not electrify the tea, and as long as you don't get the contacts wet, you should be fine.;)

That is one clever solution. :D

Even better is to use those electricity friendly lamps. they are ugly as hell but use only about 10% of the amount of energy common bulbs need. They still generate enough heat to keep the coffee hot enough.

ex-railwayman
February 22nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Why don't you do what loco drivers do, and get yourself a Secondman, they are the ones to provide the driver with steaming hot cups of tea and coffee off the hotplate, and maybe even a bacon sandwich to go with it......:udrool: :hehe:

Cheerz.. ex-railwayman :wave:

gus1911
February 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hello All
I use a Russell Hobbs coffee warmer.
Phil

Did it keep the coffee warm or hot? All the warmers mfg here in the US are designed (by gov regs) to keep the coffee warm, not hot. I like to refer to it as "luke cool" instead of "luke warm." They're terrible. The Feds did this so that we sorry arses won't burn our lips.

How hot does the Hobbs keep the coffee? Is it made in AU? If it is, then it probably wouldn't come under our ridiculous Fed regs.

appleexpress
February 22nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
While I'm more of a lurker than a poster these days, once in a while I can't resist giving my 2c worth... :p

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/85b6/

I enjoy browsing the site as much for the comments as for the gadgets.

Cheers,
Ian

collinsl
February 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
Might draw too much power from the USB port though, and it is only USB 1.1 (old version - new is USB 2.0 which is a lot faster)

gus1911
February 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Appleexpress

I saw that in my Inet travels. The reviews on USB warmers are pretty bad. I also question the claim that it can heat up to 80 degrees Celsius. That's a lot of heat coming from a warmer powered by a USB port.

Moreover, I don't think I could trust a manufacturer who makes claims about temperature when they can't even spell "Celsius" correctly. I have a simple motto - stay away from manufacturers and dealers who can't spell. :n:

slave-driver
February 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Why don't you do what loco drivers do, and get yourself a Secondman, they are the ones to provide the driver with steaming hot cups of tea and coffee off the hotplate, and maybe even a bacon sandwich to go with it......:udrool: :hehe:

Cheerz.. ex-railwayman :wave:
That's a great idea.:hehe:

Bill

Phil_C
February 23rd, 2008, 01:18 AM
Did it keep the coffee warm or hot? All the warmers mfg here in the US are designed (by gov regs) to keep the coffee warm, not hot. I like to refer to it as "luke cool" instead of "luke warm." They're terrible. The Feds did this so that we sorry arses won't burn our lips.

How hot does the Hobbs keep the coffee? Is it made in AU? If it is, then it probably wouldn't come under our ridiculous Fed regs.

It will keep it hot if you put a hot cup of coffee on it. It will not heat up a cold cup of coffee or even a luke warm one. It, like all other similar items is made in China. The only difference between one you get here and one you get in the US would be the voltage which may make a small difference depending on the heating element used. I suppose if you were to dismantle the warmer you may be able to crank up the thermostat to get a higher temp but for me it works satisfactorily as is.

Regards

Phil

WileeCoyote
February 23rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Oh dear, what is this community coming to:hehe:

I myself don't drink coffee, mostly because my mom won't let me. I prefer Root Beer instead (though after a couple cans I need to pee pretty bad). As for how to keep your coffee warm, this is an interesting question.

Back when we still used kettles regularly the engineer and fireman would always have a pitcher of coffee set atop the firebox, this would keep it warm no matter what (there is actually a lot of stuff you can do with this). Later when diesel hydraulics came into play, they found themselves with the interesting situation of not having a hot boiler. Instead they just set it on the cabin heater (the older ones are especially hot) and cranked the thing up.

Nowadays? That I don't know, with these newer EMU's and DMU's it is becoming increasingly harder to keep coffee warm. Mostly because there are no cup holders but also because they are fitted with some really wimpy heaters.

Now what I would do is weld four metal pegs to a metal disk with a hole in the middle, then I would set your coffee on the disk and put a lighted candle or stick of slow burning dynamite under it. This should keep it at as lukewarm as a 1 hour old dish of bathwater, if this doesn't work, then see the next procrastinator:p

WileeCoyote:D

john259
February 23rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
I prefer Root Beer instead
For people in Britain, dandelion and burdock has a similar taste to root beer. I wouldn't risk claiming it's absolutely identical though.

Of course, real Trainzers should only drink Iron Bru!!!

John

WileeCoyote
February 23rd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Iron Bru, well if I could find some over here. Maybe you could send me a case:p

WileeCoyote:D

john259
February 23rd, 2008, 04:22 AM
Lidl sell their own-brand Iron Bru in Britain so maybe they or Aldi do in Germany?

John

gus1911
February 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Fellow Trainzers, Coffe Drinkers, Tinkerers and Comedians,

I never expected such an overwhelming bunch of responses to my initial post. I believe I now have enough information to move on.

I've come down to 4 choices - 1) modify the one I have to see if I can increase the heat output. The worst case scenario would be that I set the family room on fire.

2) Make my own heater. Worst case here would be that I set the family room AND the entire house on fire.

3) Remove the shade from a lamp, turn it upside down, and plop the light bulb into the coffee cup. That's an interesting and innovative solution, but not exactly what I was hoping for. But thanks for the idea anyway. :confused:

4) Go with the hot plate idea. For $24 it seems like the best solution.

Thanks for your help. If you don't hear from me again, it's probably because I changed my mind, and made an attempt at building my own. In that case, my wife will be selling my discs of Trainz on E-bay at a bargain price. Stay tuned.

CasyJ
February 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Before you make your final decision, consider this little gem:
http://www.smarthome.com/91310.html?src=WG1009941&gclid=CLOyjJ3H2pECFSOsGgodxUl0ew

" Plug this mug into your cigarette lighter socket to keep your coffee hot on the go
Use the included USB cable to warm the travel mug using your computer
16-ounce mug features stainless steel construction with a soft, rubberized finish

You don't have to accept lukewarm coffee just because of a lengthy commute or because you don't have time to leave your desk. Make sure your hot beverages stay hot with the 12-Volt & USB Heated Travel Mug. This coffee mug keeps your coffee, tea or even soup warm for hours: Just plug the travel mug's included USB cable into an available USB port on your computer or use the included 12-volt power adapter to connect to your car's 12-volt power socket. The 12-Volt & USB Heated Travel Mug will instantly begin to heat up in order to maintain your desired temperature."