PDA

View Full Version : Wide Screen LCD Monitor

macka
February 6th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi,
I am looking into purchasing a LCD monitor and was wondering if a widescreen is OK. I am worried that it might distort the image.
Thanks,
Macka

MarvinMartian
February 6th, 2008, 10:21 PM
My widescreen doesn't distort anything. Everything looks normal.....only bigger :D

MarvinMartian

PerRock
February 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
my widescreen seems fine.

peter

axe1970
February 7th, 2008, 03:03 AM
If your video card can handle the wide resolution, then you shouldn't have a problem.

However I think you have to manually set the With and height in the Trainzoptions.ini file.

Regards

jjqburch
February 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Trainz Classics lets you choose 1400 x 900 resolution in the settings.

Jonny

AussieNightcrawler
February 7th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Depends on your monitor and video card what resolutions can be used, I have an 8800GTS with a 20.1in widescreen LCD and I can go upto 1680x1050 in settings for TC.

Not sure about TRS2006 though as I don't have it installed on this system.

steamdrivre
February 7th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I have the same card with a 24" monitor and am running it at 1600x1200 on my '04 game. Never had to manually go into any file and adjust anything. I do have a little distortion but not bad.

psycho_aussie
February 7th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have a 19" Widescreen LG LCD monitor, and I have run TC in widescreen without any distortion. I haven't tried TRS06 or TRS04 though, as I run them, and now TC windowed with preset height and width settings.

IMHO, however, I would prefer a widescreen monitor over a square monitor any day.

Chris

tpullen
February 7th, 2008, 09:08 AM
dont forget video size also requires ram and trainz loves ram

J_Taylor
February 15th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I have a 20" wide screan and it look GREAT!

leeferr
February 15th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Has anyone hooked up a 50" plasma TV to Trainz yet. I've got one that I'm just itching to give it a try on. The TV has an input for computer video.

PerRock
February 15th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I did run TRS on a widescreen TV once, don't know the size of it sadly. It was pretty cool; but MSFS was better on it :D

peter

dreddman
February 15th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Ive got a Samsung forget size HUGE widescreen LCD Tv with PC input the TV is plug n play set the input boot the PC n hey presto Trainz on TV AWESOME................as well as other things/games/ect

chrisjeffery2005
February 17th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I have a widescreen laptop, and it all works fine. Just remember when you get your widescreen to set the screen resloution in the trainz setup menu found via the TRS launcher to as close to yours as possible, or you will get blank empty spaces at the sides of your screen.

PerRock
February 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I have a widescreen laptop, and it all works fine. Just remember when you get your widescreen to set the screen resloution in the trainz setup menu found via the TRS launcher to as close to yours as possible, or you will get blank empty spaces at the sides of your screen.

or ou will get a skewed image; depending on how your grafix card does things. I found that the resolutions in the Trainz setup area were not as close as I desired; you can also go into the trainzoptions file and changed them manually.

peter

titaniclover
February 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Nothing's distorted on my 21 inch widescreen LCD moniter. :D :cool:
You should be fine.

Cheers,
Adam
TCS Route Builder

macka
February 17th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks to all the members who gave me info on the wide screen LCD's.
I purchased a Samsung 22" wide screen yesterday and am very happy with the results. The only thing that is slightly distorted is the start-up screen and the menus in Surveyor (which actually makes it easier to see}
It certainly makes it a lot easier in Surveyor.
Thanks,
Macka ;)

steamdrivre
February 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I have a friend who just bought a 42" plasma and said it blew him away when he hooked it all up. LOL

JimDep
February 18th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I just picked up a 22 incher yesterday. It makes surveyor much easier on the eyes. Google Earth is much easier to read now too.

llebrez
February 21st, 2008, 08:46 PM
When in trainzoptions, set high and width to the same resolution as in the monitor and graphics card. Then set cabin fov=75 and driverfov=90, and whamm!:udrool: you get cinemascope or something like it. Play with this and have fun.

edion2
February 25th, 2008, 05:40 PM
My deskto platform for my work station just got upgrded to a 37" Westinghouse HDTV because I upgraded my home theater system to a 47" 1080p.

So Trainz now run on my 37" HDTV (1366X768). The video card that came with my computer is an Nvidia 7300 (I think) with 512VRAM. I'm running Trainz in 1360X768 resolution and nothing is out of proportion.

The frame rate suffers just a tad more than my lap top that runs trainz at 1280X800. But the frame rate should not be a problem at all for most users . . . cause my route is chuck full of trees and other stuff that eats frame rates. I prefer "realistic looks" at the cost of lower frame rate. All the built-in routes runs smooth as silk compared to my own route . . . but they are not super detailed like mine is, within viewing distance in driver mode.

Moving from a 4:3 19 inch to a 16:9 37" was a breathtaking experience. I thought . . . why didn't I do this sooner ??

If you have an HDTV . . . hook up your computer to that !! You'll see. BIG is BETTER . . . specially when the SOUND is hooked up to your surround sound system with sub-woofer . . . don't get me started on the LOUD train horns . . . :hehe:

TRY IT . . . . YOU'LL LIKE IT !!

LouP73
February 25th, 2008, 05:47 PM
OK while we are on try it you'll like it :D , try adding in a buttkicker and a track IR for full immersion. I feel bad for my neighbor, he must be wondering where all the trains are that come rolling through. :hehe:

LouP

chuffbuff
March 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM
A word of thanks to this thread I didn't need to start another, few of you blokes cover area's to problems I've recently had.

cheers!