PDA

View Full Version : Trainz account hacked

01making
December 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I have just messaged Helpdesk but thought I would just like to see if anyone has had a similar problem to me?
A copy of the letter is below.

Hello,
I use the download station a fair amount but within the last 6 months I have been noticing items comming up in Content Manager that I have not downloaded i.e. Boxcars, american locos etc.
I am a keen UK rail enthusiast and I am 100% certain that I have not downloaded these items. Most of these items are being downloaded at 1.00 am in the morning (when i am fast asleep!). This is particularly annoying when i want to download an item and C.M. says I have reached my download limit; even though it is my first download in a week.
I have never told anyone my password and have changed it 4 or 5 times since I first noticed this happening but content is still being downloaded under my username.
This sould definately be something to look into as your security measures are being breached and who knows how many other accounts have been hacked. This has also put me off ever buying a First Class Ticket as I am thinking why sould I pay for something when someone else will use it for me?
Thanks

Accipiter777
December 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Sounds more like your computer was hacked. Why would someone hack Auran to d/l stuff to someone elses computer? to what advantage? For your scenerio to happen, you'd be leaving your computer online and cmp on line while asleep...shut down cmp!

Klinger
December 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
it would have to be someone that uses trainz. otherwise whats the point? Making someone made so they cant download anything? that seems pretty silly, so unless they are using the content they are downloading, whats the point.

Lo_Poly
December 17th, 2007, 03:26 PM
If you live with anyone maybe they are downloading it?

A hacker downloading for someone else seems silly, although I know there are a lot of jerks out there who do stuff like that just to get a kick or two. :o

(I've had my account here hacked before)

titaniclover
December 17th, 2007, 04:00 PM
It give us a reminder that the internet is a free thing.
Messengers, CMP even are open doors to ours computers for virus's and other things unwanted.

I had a virus that made my computer stay connected to the internet and download things.

Just a reminder be safe on the internet!

Paulsw2
December 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
....Messengers, CMP even are open doors to ours computers for virus's and other things unwanted....
This is an interesting point - could our accounts be hacked and CMP then hijacked and used to infiltrate spyware etc. onto our PCs? :confused:

Or is this yet more Trainz-related paranoia? :o

jimisham
December 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM
If I have CMP running at around 6 PM EST, I've noticed the Download Station and the All windows update with the assets that have been added to the DLS.
In the last few days there's been around 400 assets added, about 250 in the last update.

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
At least you can download content.

AJ_Fox
December 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Snaptrap

Are you suggesting that someone downloaded content from the DLS to your computer?

Cheers

AJ

Red_Rattler
December 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I use the download station a fair amount but within the last 6 months I have been noticing items comming up in Content Manager that I have not downloaded01making a question about your letter above. If you noticed this around 6 months ago, why didn't you send a letter to the helpdesk well before this, when you first started to notice this.

Perhaps you should record everything that you download (that is seperate from the Trainz Log)

SuperFudd
December 17th, 2007, 11:20 PM
COOL!:Y:

I will leave my computer on tonght. Do I have to leave CMP running?

:D ;)

SR6900
December 18th, 2007, 01:01 AM
COOL!:Y:

I will leave my computer on tonght. Do I have to leave CMP running?

:D ;)
This isn't the sort of thing to laugh about.

Snaptrap
December 18th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Hi Snaptrap

Are you suggesting that someone downloaded content from the DLS to your computer?

Cheers

AJ

I'm suggesting that having a connection to the DLS is better than none at all.

Franglen
December 18th, 2007, 03:18 AM
If you have the 'Automatic Login' Box checked in your profile. Try unchecking it and just check the 'Remember me but still require me to login......' Box so that you have to enter your Password when you go to Auran.
Just a thought.
Franglen

01making
December 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Sounds more like your computer was hacked. Why would someone hack Auran to d/l stuff to someone elses computer? to what advantage? For your scenerio to happen, you'd be leaving your computer online and cmp on line while asleep...shut down cmp!

nope never left my computer on overnight.. never downloaded anything big enough to do so! and always have to sign in before opening download station....

In fact lastnight "he" downloaded a class 124, a class 73 and quite afew 40" boxcars. Now i remember last night and I didn't download them.....

01making
December 18th, 2007, 05:25 AM
01making a question about your letter above. If you noticed this around 6 months ago, why didn't you send a letter to the helpdesk well before this, when you first started to notice this.

Perhaps you should record everything that you download (that is seperate from the Trainz Log)

Hi,
I messaged auran but no reply about 5 months ago... and been too busy, forgetting to do it since :o ... all these A levels :confused:

Euphod
December 18th, 2007, 05:25 AM
It sounds to me like some sort of warez cracked mirror scheme or something. I would advise you to change your password as soon as possible.
Ed

ColPrice2002
December 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Being a "simple" person, I have a question -

Have you set a filter to show "local" content only?
The default is for the CMP to show all content (both DLS and local) - you can differentiate the two by the icon, but you may be seeing the night's uploads and approvals on the dls?
(remembering that Auran work to Oz time)

Happy Season,

Colin

Euphod
December 18th, 2007, 05:33 AM
That's right, you may be confusing local content with available content.
If that is true, then I hope you will be too embarrassed to reply!
Ed;)

paulhobbs
December 18th, 2007, 05:46 AM
CMP is showing you the content that is available on the DLS, it doesn't download anything unless you tell it to. There's a pretty good manual included that explains all this rather well.

Paul

jimisham
December 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM
In fact lastnight "he" downloaded a class 124, a class 73 and quite afew 40" boxcars. Now i remember last night and I didn't download them.....

I just looked at my CMP, and the DLS, and the latest assets that were added to the Download Station database yesterday include about fifteen 40 foot US boxcars and what looks like class 124 and 73 engines.

colinknapp
December 18th, 2007, 01:51 PM
is this downloaded content actually playable in game?

that'll be the way to check

gfisher
December 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
If that is true, then I hope you will be too embarrassed to reply!

Good one, ED. Nice to have a little humor in the midst of all this paranoia, doom and gloom. :cool:

steamrodder
December 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Hellow 01making- In response to your thread, Im wondering if some way there's downloaders that crosses links with other downloaders on the DLS
at the same time, because I downloaded a number 40ft boxcars two nights ago, I also downloaded a Austrailan locomotive too. Ive also having some downloading problems with Some types of rolling stock.

JCitron
December 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM
01making,

You're not sleep downloading are you?

John

Sourdough
December 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
This isn't the sort of thing to laugh about.
It is now....:hehe::cool:

Midland
December 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM
When I go to sleep so too does my PC.

You could try switching it off at night.

No electricity, no electrickery!

Cheers

Nix

VinnyBarb
December 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
When I go to sleep so too does my PC.

You could try switching it off at night.

No electricity, no electrickery!

Cheers

Nix

Actually, this is what one should do ALL the time when your PC is not in use. If your PC can be woken from a standby state, which it would be in when you leave your PC on overnight and have NOT altered your BIOS settings to prevent it being woken up, then it could be woken up by little script kiddies (hackers) quite easily and they can do all sorts of things with your PC. Like using it to attack others, to prevent back tracing to them, examine all of your content on your PC, like passwords, your credit card details (if using the Internet to pay with it), install key loggers to harvest changes of passwords etc. and lots more.

The only time you are safe is when your PC is turned off or if it is on and you are having a good firewall installed which tells you what/who wants to send out something from your PC or what/who wants to install, access, use or whatever on your PC. And you are with your PC ALL the time to watch hard disk activity and fire wall warnings when connected to the outside world.

FYIO

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Ferrous
December 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I just looked at my CMP, and the DLS, and the latest assets that were added to the Download Station database yesterday include about fifteen 40 foot US boxcars and what looks like class 124 and 73 engines.

Hmm...

Maybe CMP is accidentally DL'ing all newly uploaded assets.... :confused:

jimisham
December 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hmm...

Maybe CMP is accidentally DL'ing all newly uploaded assets.... :confused:

No, they're not being downloaded.
What I think I'm seeing, is if my CMP is running at the time, the latest assets added to the DLS, are added to the DLS database in my CMP, telling me what has been added to the DLS and is now available for downloading.
If I have CMP running at the time, the updates happen between 5 to 7 PM, EST, except Friday and Saturday. They show up only under the Download Station tab in the Main View panel. They don't appear under the Installed tab in the Main View panel.

Lo_Poly
December 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
01making was probably thinking the assets in the DLS panel were on his machine. :o

01making, FYI, you know those little images to the left? There should be one that shows it's location. If it has a laptop as an icon it's installed on your computer. If it shows "DLS" it's just an asset on the download station. :D

Cheers.

Accipiter777
December 20th, 2007, 07:30 PM
nope never left my computer on overnight.. never downloaded anything big enough to do so! and always have to sign in before opening download station....

How is it that your computer is offline, turned off, but still downloading?