PDA

View Full Version : Trainz Vs Rail Simulator - Which Is Better

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I'm quite upset that I can't get Trainz Railwayz in local retail stores. A friend on MSN has indicated to me that there's another train sim called Rail Simulator. In fact, he has a unopened copy of the UK version of the game that he got for his birthday. He said he's going to check it out now and decide if he wants to keep it.

My question is how does RS compare to Trainz. I notice the visuals in RS are better, but I like good controls, interface, and selection as well. I found Trainz world creator a little on the complex side which isn't a surprise since it's a very intricate sim game. I did check out some RS vids though I think they're from the UK version of the game. I have Trainz 2006 which I was having trouble getting to run on Vista, but I learned that the data execution prevention feature was the cause.

All I want is a really nice looking and easy to use train simulator. I play PC games for a reason, and titles like this are why.

I love trains. Living in Canada, our premier rail line is CN, and for several years our family lived by the tracks in a farm town. Watch the train come by each monday was always a thrill. Sadly, I learned a few years ago that the track which lead to my hometown was removed. All that remains are the stones. Changes in grain delivery location was the cause.:'(

meridious
December 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
At the present time, you'd be better off sticking with Trainz.

paulhobbs
December 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
In its present state I wouldn't have RS as a gift. You should make your own mind up though, start with the RS forums and read what people are saying about it (nothing particularly good it seems).

Paul

WileeCoyote
December 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Trainz (for the moment) is hands down all around better than Rail Simulator, although the DLS webpage (you can still download via CMP and FTP) isn't functioning at the moment, Trainz has about 70000 or so available assets. RS? Almost none.

Trainz Surveyor is (with practice) very easy to use and quite yielding. RS? Try laying some track, its nearly impossible, in fact, once you lay that track and save the layout, you can't delete the layout.

Trainz has a *relatively* good signal system code which with the use of some good signals can be very easy to manipulate to do what you want. RS? Not a chance.

Trainz (with some difficulty) has a good working AI system which when programed properly will run without any problems. RS? Hardly any AI and as far as I know no way to make any.

Trainz has the convenience of a working level crossing system, and if your into German railroading, crossing position inidicators. RS? The crossings are always down leaving you with some very cross motorists.

Trainz has roads with traffic on them that you can actually set, and with TC you can have it go on more than one lane. RS? Well, I've yet to even see a car.

Trainz has a very friendly, helpful user community that releases loads of great content and can easily help with a lot of your Trainz and PC problems (heck, they even have their own chatroom!). RS? Say one thing blatantly degrading about their game (like what I've just written above) and you'll find yourself banned pretty quickly.

Trainz is a relatively easy to use program for a great price and with it you can do some pretty cool things (TPR's layouts prove this bit). RS? Overpriced, half finished program that doesn't do a lot with a lousy selection of rolling stock (Not one bit of Canadian content, and when the US release comes there still won't be any).

If you want me to say more I'll gladly take this thread beyond any reasonable conclusion.

WileeCoyote:D

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Is there anything good about RS? I watched the tutorials and it seems relatively simple to use. Nice visuals too. I seem to be a sucker for graphics. Trainz 2006 is great though I would like to upgrade to TR. My guess is RS is a new series and with time they can refine the problems listed. The weird thing is that RS the most downloaded train sim. LOL!

I'm going to check out RS just to see which works best for me although expecting no CN content from either edition is a little disheartening. Apparently there's a development tool for people to use to create new content though it looks limited.

The problems I've experienced in 2006 is that with SP1, derailed locos are still running. Without SP1 everything works fine except when I play demolition derby with CN and Amtrak I get an exception error. I also notice that if you stop on a road crossing, you can be derailed by a vehicle when cycling through the trains available. I've even seen vehicles drive through my train when cycling. This is one reason why I'd like to upgrade Trainz or obtain a different sim altogether.

I need my CN though. Too bad the CNR SD40-2 loco's horn sound is wrong in the 2006 version. It should be like the green colored SD40-2 in the Empire Builder scenario. These engines would drive by our home and I heard that sound hundreds of times as a kid. We used to run down to the tracks and stand on the hill next to them and watch the train pass.

paulhobbs
December 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Is there anything good about RS? I watched the tutorials and it seems relatively simple to use. Nice visuals too. I seem to be a sucker for graphics. Trainz 2006 is great though I would like to upgrade to TR. My guess is RS is a new series and with time they can refine the problems listed. The weird thing is that RS the most downloaded train sim. LOL!
The graphics in RS are great, yes (there, I said something nice about it...). Maybe RS the the most downloaded train sim because it's the only one available for download? Hornsounds can easily be changed in TRS BTW.

Also people don't seem to have grasped that RS is not trying to be like Trainz, it's a driving simulator and Trainz simulates a complete railway system. Even when the bugs in RS are fixed it still won't be a better Trainz.

Paul

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM
The graphics in RS are great, yes (there, I said something nice about it...). Maybe RS the the most downloaded train sim because it's the only one available for download? Hornsounds can easily be changed in TRS BTW.

Also people don't seem to have grasped that RS is not trying to be like Trainz, it's a driving simulator and Trainz simulates a complete railway system. Even when the bugs in RS are fixed it still won't be a better Trainz.

Paul

I want to change the horn sound. I seen Trainz 2006 and 2007 for download as well. I'm not a fan of piracy though. I use these sites for popularity rankings and it helps me decide which people prefer to use.

JCitron
December 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
"I need my CN though. Too bad the CNR SD40-2 loco's horn sound is wrong in the 2006 version. It should be like the green colored SD40-2 in the Empire Builder scenario. These engines would drive by our home and I heard that sound hundreds of times as a kid. We used to run down to the tracks and stand on the hill next to them and watch the train pass."

You can easily change the horn used by the locomotive by editing the config file. Open up the Grenn SD-40-2, and copy the line for the horn, and paste that into the configuration file for the other CNR SD40-2. Once you've edited the asset in CMP, commit the changes so that the modified assets are returned for use in Trainz.

Once you get used to Surveyor, you'll find that module in particular to be extremely addicting.

John

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM

This is actually the only aspect of a train simulator that I use besides editing/creating. I just want to hop into a train and cruise around. I also like causing chaos with major derailments.

Is there a really good site for free Trainz content? I would like to get some CN stuff.

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
You can easily change the horn used by the locomotive by editing the config file. Open up the Grenn SD-40-2, and copy the line for the horn, and paste that into the configuration file for the other CNR SD40-2. Once you've edited the asset in CMP, commit the changes so that the modified assets are returned for use in Trainz.

Once you get used to Surveyor, you'll find that module in particular to be extremely addicting.

John

Thanks! I'm such a novice. I got Trainz 2006 a few months ago as a gift from the company I work for, which is CNR. Once I'm done training, I'll finally get to the real deal which is Traffic Coordinator.

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM
To be perfectly honest, you're most likely not going to get a completely objective, neutral opinion on the topic here. This is a Trainz forum, filled to the brim with Trainz users, a lot of whom think Trainz is the best thing since sliced bread, and that's exactly how it should be. It would be near impossible to get an objective review here.

Nonetheless, I'd say that if what you're after is a driving sim, RS is definately worth a look. I personally find just driving trains quite boring, and prefer to manage multiple simultaneous trains at once, which is why I prefer Trainz, but in your case I'd say RS is worth looking into further.

Also, as a side note, there's lots of good Canadian content on the DLS (you can access it through CMP), as well as at TPR's Download Depot (http://www.trainzproroutes.com/downloads)

meridious
December 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
To be perfectly honest, you're most likely not going to get a completely objective, neutral opinion on the topic here. This is a Trainz forum, filled to the brim with Trainz users, a lot of whom think Trainz is the best thing since sliced bread, and that's exactly how it should be. It would be near impossible to get an objective review here.

Sure you can. There are many of us who would rather not waste our time on anything past 04 but RS vs Trainz is not even something that should be considered. Trainz wins hands down.

BTW, the link for the TPR DD is wrong in your post.

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sure you can. There are many of us who would rather not waste our time on anything past 04 but RS vs Trainz is not even something that should be considered. Trainz wins hands down.

BTW, the link for the TPR DD is wrong in your post.

Fixed the link.

But your post, in a way, proves my point: you refuse to even consider looking at RS, and if that doesn't show a very biased opinion about it then I don't know what does. The original poster is simply not going to get an objective viewpoint here; everybody here is a Trainz user, thus this forum is, by default, biased against RS.

Nothing against you or anyone that prefers Trainz, that's just my beliefs on what you will find here.

meridious
December 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Ah but you are wrong my friend. I have tried RS and simply do not like it. Their surveyor (if you will) is alot harder to use than Trainz. Mind you, I am not a route builder but Trainz Surveyor is so easy to use.
I haven't even tried to create anything for RS as I don't use the modeling programs that are available for it. Gmax took long enough to learn and at this stage, I am not about to learn a new program when I am happy with creating for Trainz.
So from what I have tried to do in RS, I'll gladly stick with Trainz.

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Ah but you are wrong my friend. I have tried RS and simply do not like it. Their surveyor (if you will) is alot harder to use than Trainz. Mind you, I am not a route builder but Trainz Surveyor is so easy to use.
I haven't even tried to create anything for RS as I don't use the modeling programs that are available for it. Gmax took long enough to learn and at this stage, I am not about to learn a new program when I am happy with creating for Trainz.
So from what I have tried to do in RS, I'll gladly stick with Trainz.

Well, that is certainly a hundred times better than saying you didn't even consider trying RS because there's no way it could possibly be better. I apologize for jumping to conclusions so quickly; I misinterpreted your post.

However, I still stand by my statement that you won't get a 100% objective statement here; even the die-hard Trainzers that try RS to come to their own conclusions are going to go into it with some previous bias, whether they admit it or even know it or not. You really can't get an objective review when the reviewer looked at a product with the specific intention of sizing it up to another product, because often the reviewer will be looking for things that the "other" product has over the new product.

I would still advise the OP to also try to get opinions from forums not partial to one sim in particular; UKTrainSim is a good one off the top of my mind, although they might be slightly biased towards Kuju/EA as Kuju has a bit of influence there. If anybody else can recommend multi-sim forums it would be handy.

But in the end, the only end-all beat-all way for the OP to find out which sim he prefers is to try both. You already have Trainz, or so I conclude from your original post, so find a way to play Kuju's sim, approach it with an open mind, and play it for as long as you played Trainz. In my opinion that's the best way to go about this.

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Nonetheless, I'd say that if what you're after is a driving sim, RS is definately worth a look. I personally find just driving trains quite boring, and prefer to manage multiple simultaneous trains at once, which is why I prefer Trainz, but in your case I'd say RS is worth looking into further.

Also, as a side note, there's lots of good Canadian content on the DLS (you can access it through CMP), as well as at TPR's Download Depot (http://www.trainzproroutes.com/downloads)

Ufortunately for some sad reason Trainz doesn't want to connect to the net. I checked the firewall settings to insure that there's access but alas, nothing. Probably some hidden Vista setting that I have to destroy.

Driving is fine with me so long as I have control over the rails themselves and can switch tracks to create chaos. Perhaps since one is more leaned towards driving and the other towards a more broad spectrum, I'm just better off having both. Then again I have to wait for my friend to get his butt over here so I can try RS.

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Ok. After 15 minutes of playing RS I made my decision. With the lack of support for my 1440x900 monitor, the power hungry graphics engine, the retarded controls (I even had trouble exiting the game), and the new found content for Trainz, I decided to stick with Trainz. Granted RS looks better, but I have a Radeon 3870 and a Athlon X2 6400 and I still experience chugging motion. On top I have 4GB RAM.

I think the amazing content for Trainz (thanks to the link by atsfrr3000), the decision was made a lot easier, especially after the experience I just had with RS. I did some playing with Trainz' editor and it's not that difficult. I needed to do some key searches, but it reminds me of Sim City 2000.

Besides, Auran has terrific support. The help desk member who has been giving me assistance with Trainz 2006 had done a great job to help me get Trainz on track. For now I'll keep the copy of RS my friend handed down to me and wait until I get a mainframe system to run it. RS is a beautiful game with amazing detail to the stock, but just a little too demanding for what it puts out.

Thanks guys for the help. Now I'm going to download everything from that site.

WileeCoyote
December 16th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Yay, another convert:p:hehe:

Snaptrap
December 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Oh, I'm asking if that content from that TPR site works for 2006? Love the CN content.

NICKEL
December 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I have it all and I run 2006 with no problem.

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I'm certainly glad to see that you tried both and came to your own conclusions, instead of simply going off of what's been told to you (especially on the sim's company forum!) If only everyone would do that... :p

I also tried Kuju's offering, and although I can tell it's got promise as a driving sim, it just doesn't fit my style of managing 10+ trains at one time. Different tastes, different products :)

Glad to see that me and my rantings here could be of some help :cool:

Euphod
December 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'm not gonna buy every train sim that comes out just to compare it to Trainz so I can give an unbiased opinion. I will read the opinions of those that have tried both, and I'll refer others to those opinions. I might even say, well, "I've heard........"

Ed

Zwabberaar
December 16th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I would say that another's opinion is nothing more then another's opinion. Try for yourself and make a decision which simulator is better ... for you!

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I'm not gonna buy every train sim that comes out just to compare it to Trainz so I can give an unbiased opinion. I will read the opinions of those that have tried both, and I'll refer others to those opinions. I might even say, well, "I've heard........"

Ed

I'm not saying you should go out and buy everything so you can offer others opinions. What I'm saying is, if you personally want to know which one is going to suit you better, then the best way to do that is to download demos of both products and try both.

tydev417
December 16th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I've been playing the Trainz series since the Community Edition but I'm going to be one of the very, very few here that aren't afraid to say that it's gotten rather old. Rail Simulator easily wins because it offers a new experience.

Actually, after playing Rail Simulator for a while, Trainz 2006 went right out of my PC. The graphics in RS trump that of TRS bar none. RS takes a majority of its controls from MSTS so it's very easy to adapt to.

Trainz (for the moment) is hands down all around better than Rail Simulator, although the DLS webpage (you can still download via CMP and FTP) isn't functioning at the moment, Trainz has about 70000 or so available assets. RS? Almost none.

RS has plenty of potential.....while OTOH, the Trainz series is already at the point of running it's course. RS is getting off to a slow start just as MSTS, each iteration of Trainz and BVE all did.

Trainz Surveyor is (with practice) very easy to use and quite yielding. RS? Try laying some track, its nearly impossible, in fact, once you lay that track and save the layout, you can't delete the layout.

Take a look a the tutorial videos. And btw, you can delete the layouts. It's just a different format that takes time getting used to.

Trainz has a *relatively* good signal system code which with the use of some good signals can be very easy to manipulate to do what you want. RS? Not a chance.

I recommend you view the signaling guide on UKTrainSim.com, where you can be enlightened on the possibilities of the signal system in RS. Without any 3rd party content, the Trainz signal system doesn't function as many would want. Why do you think Auran and many here never even advanced or took advantage of the scenario system? There's a scarcity of scenarios and sessions for TRS and it's mainly due to the signaling issues.

Trainz (with some difficulty) has a good working AI system which when programed properly will run without any problems. RS? Hardly any AI and as far as I know no way to make any.

Trainz has the convenience of a working level crossing system, and if your into German railroading, crossing position inidicators. RS? The crossings are always down leaving you with some very cross motorists.

False...... Why all the misinformation? RS does have AI capabilities with the Developer Tools. And the crossings? The go up on the Bath Green route..maybe you had your graphics level down?

Trainz has roads with traffic on them that you can actually set, and with TC you can have it go on more than one lane. RS? Well, I've yet to even see a car.

Once again, your graphics level was set too low. Set it higher and you'll see traffic, just like MSTS.

Trainz has a very friendly, helpful user community that releases loads of great content and can easily help with a lot of your Trainz and PC problems (heck, they even have their own chatroom!). RS? Say one thing blatantly degrading about their game (like what I've just written above) and you'll find yourself banned pretty quickly.

What forum have you been using? People were degrading the game on the UKTrainSim forums before it was even released and none were banned! The RS community is just as friendly but are currently adapting to the new formats. Content is trickling out right now..but that will surely grow.

Trainz is a relatively easy to use program for a great price and with it you can do some pretty cool things (TPR's layouts prove this bit). RS? Overpriced, half finished program that doesn't do a lot with a lousy selection of rolling stock (Not one bit of Canadian content, and when the US release comes there still won't be any).

I paid $65 for Trainz 2006, that's what I call overpriced. The little $40 your paying for RS is the base price for pretty much all mainstream PC games. And Canadian content? You should've been busting Microsoft's and Auran's chops as well as I don't recall Canadian content in those either.

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Spoke thusly...

It's always interesting to see users of a product defending their product in a forum that's obviously partial to that product's competitior (and please, let me clarify, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with such partiality!), especially in such a niche product genre.

Although I chose to not use KRS for other reasons, I salute your bravery to go against the grain, and wholeheartedly thank you for clearing up some misconceptions. It really is irritating to see your product being portrayed falsely on other forums, something that led me to defend Trainz in a forum biased against it quite some time ago.

Mike10
December 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Actually, after playing Rail Simulator for a while, Trainz 2006 went right out of my PC. The graphics in RS trump that of TRS bar none. RS takes a majority of its controls from MSTS so it's very easy to adapt to.
Only if you have actually played MSTS.

the Trainz series is already at the point of running it's course.

I don't think so, there is still potential in Trainz.

Take a look a the tutorial videos. And btw, you can delete the layouts. It's just a different format that takes time getting used to.
You can't exit without saving your changes though ;)

I recommend you view the signaling guide on UKTrainSim.com, where you can be enlightened on the possibilities of the signal system in RS. Without any 3rd party content, the Trainz signal system doesn't function as many would want. Why do you think Auran and many here never even advanced or took advantage of the scenario system? There's a scarcity of scenarios and sessions for TRS and it's mainly due to the signaling issues.
The RS signalling system does not know a train exists until it goes past it. This means it will quite happily clear a signal that runs you into the back of a stationary train. If you uncouple from a train and drive past a signal it assumes all the train has gone past and doesn't know you've left some of it behind so it will again quite happily allow another train to run into it. There's some free enlightenment for you.

The lack of sessions and Scenarios is not direcly linked to the signals IMHO.

False...... Why all the misinformation? RS does have AI capabilities with the Developer Tools. And the crossings? The go up on the Bath Green route..maybe you had your graphics level down?
There are no 'proper' crossings in RS, the roads just stop at one side and start again at the other.

I paid $65 for Trainz 2006, that's what I call overpriced. The little $40 your paying for RS is the base price for pretty much all mainstream PC games. And Canadian content? You should've been busting Microsoft's and Auran's chops as well as I don't recall Canadian content in those either.

There was/is Canadian content in Trainz.

It would appear you are also peddling misinformation. ;)

Mike.

Partyman79
December 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM

In Germany the RS was/is sold for 50 EUR = 72 USD. So we need to call it overpriced.

Just one aspect: Have a look for scenarios (TRS04 or TRS06SP1) in Trainz. You never will see something comparable in RS. Never !

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Just one aspect: Have a look for scenarios (TRS04 or TRS06SP1) in Trainz. You never will see something comparable in RS. Never !

Funny, all the MSTS users claimed that Trainz would never have a good representation of the Marias Pass route because of its limited route-editing capabilities ("Ease of use != powerful editor" -Anonymous). And yet now, not only do we have a fantastic representation of said route, but I daresay it's one of the most popular payware objects ever created for Trainz.

Never say never...:cool:

Partyman79
December 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Mmmh, what a remarkable coincidence: Just I was the person who developed a 2:30 hours 04/06-scenario for Marias Pass.

Never say never, ok ! But for KRS I am sure: Never :p :cool: :wave:

tydev417
December 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not even going to get into it. It's obvious that the biased opinions change over the different train sim boards pertaining to that sim. Go to train-sim.com or uktrainsim and you'll see they talk so much trash about Trainz that they act like it doesn't even exist. Trainz and Rail Simulator get along nicely in my Vista PC setup, so this doesn't even matter to me.

Mike10
December 16th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I'm a regular visitor to UKTrainsim and train-sim.com thanks, you'll find I'm quite well informed on what's what. Here, there, and everywhere have their fair share of the argumentative, the biased and the plain ignorant. You have to filter it all.

This is an interesting thread on Rail Simulator though... its called "Bug / Error reporting & Missing options" It is up to 18 pages so far and still growing.

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=74771

Mike.

tydev417
December 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Glad to see your understanding Mike! But I still feel that it seems as though people are never happy with anything. Just 2 years ago, there was a raging war on these very forums between the TRS2004ers vs the TRS06ers. But now that KRS is out, people are now putting TRS06 on a golden pedestal and throwing pitchforks at Rail Simulator...just like both MSTS and Trainz 1.0 had done to them when first released. If I recall correctly, MSTS was crappy out-of-the-box, Trainz 2004 was bug-ridden until the Service Packs and TRS06..where do I get started? But look at them now..all fully developed.......those that have turned a blind-eye at first are now vital members to the community. It's like deja vu all over again with Rail Simulator.

*FACT*-> Rail Simulator has much more optimized framerates tenfold than either MSTS or Trainz. One can play RS on a low-spec PC with reasonable framerates.

Also, there's actually a noticeably similar discussion going on at train-sim.com..(Over there, it's MSTS vs RS)

http://forums.flightsim.com/ts/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=27&topic_id=4426&mesg_id=&page=&mode=full

I like this post by august1929 though...

>It[Kuju Rail Simulator] barely functions out of the box. Needs some big time fixes to make it even playable for the casual user.<

I think that is exactly who it is playable by http://forums.flightsim.com/ts/images/happy.gif - needs the fixes (such as are really needed) for the more than casual user.

Barely functions is a bit strong - it exells on my computer (and mine isn't that high spec). Took me a while to get used to it, and a few tweaks, but it more than functions. Far, far better framerates than MSTS, much better detail as a result and where it wins out over MSTSX (or 2) is that it is here and now.

Don't be put off, expecially by anyone who has not tested it for a decent period - just loading it, playing with it a few times, then throwing the disc away in disgust is not giving it a chance.

What it is not, and I mean NOT, is MSTS. So don't expect it to look or feel the same. Treat it as a new sim and a new experience, give it time, and enjoy it.

Rod

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/August1929/KRS/NTB6.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/August1929/KRS/NTB3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/August1929/KRS/tg7.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/August1929/KRS/tg3.jpg

BLueNeon
December 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM
@ tydev417

why the screenies ?

:)

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I downloaded a lot of Trainz content and I can't seem to use it. The content doesn't even show when creating a new scenario. Apparently everything I downloaded is missing dependencies or something like that.

Anyway, I loaded Rail Simulator and it turns out that the latest ATI video drivers for my card are garbage as the game runs fine on a lesser card using older drivers. I think with time Rail Sim will eventually iron out the bugs and have tons of content. It is a new series afterall but for now, Trainz is what I'll be using.

paulhobbs
December 17th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I downloaded a lot of Trainz content and I can't seem to use it. The content doesn't even show when creating a new scenario. Apparently everything I downloaded is missing dependencies or something like that.
The content won't show until you have downloaded and committed all the missing dependancies. TRS works likes this so that you don't download the same things over and over again. Use CMP to find them on the DLS (if they are on the DLS of course...)

Paul

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I have to DL them manually from that website because the module within Trainz refuses to connect to the net. Quite annoying as I've spent a few hourrs downloading a ton of Trainz content.

I absolutely hate Windows.

AJ_Fox
December 17th, 2007, 02:49 AM
It could be a firewall thing on your computer. Have you allowed access?
Cheers

AJ

Forest_Runner
December 17th, 2007, 03:07 AM
(first part snipped)

This is an interesting thread on Rail Simulator though... its called "Bug / Error reporting & Missing options" It is up to 18 pages so far and still growing.

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=74771

Mike.

Guess it's appropriate it's named RS...... :cool:

Euphod
December 17th, 2007, 05:31 AM
I'm not saying you should go out and buy everything so you can offer others opinions. What I'm saying is, if you personally want to know which one is going to suit you better, then the best way to do that is to download demos of both products and try both.

Nah....too much research. I usually make purchases based on educated opinions, and the opinions of those I trust. I don't have time to form an independent opinion on every little trivial thing....that's what critics and analysts are for!
I respect your methods, but there's not enough time in the day to be the Lone Ranger for me!
Ed:D

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 07:32 AM
It could be a firewall thing on your computer. Have you allowed access?
Cheers

AJ

That was the first thing I checked.

Capt_Scarlet
December 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM
That was the first thing I checked.

Which firewall software are you using ? Have you tried it with it turned off ?

John

atsfrr3000
December 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Glad to see your understanding Mike! But I still feel that it seems as though people are never happy with anything. Just 2 years ago, there was a raging war on these very forums between the TRS2004ers vs the TRS06ers. But now that KRS is out, people are now putting TRS06 on a golden pedestal and throwing pitchforks at Rail Simulator...just like both MSTS and Trainz 1.0 had done to them when first released. If I recall correctly, MSTS was crappy out-of-the-box, Trainz 2004 was bug-ridden until the Service Packs and TRS06..where do I get started? But look at them now..all fully developed.......those that have turned a blind-eye at first are now vital members to the community. It's like deja vu all over again with Rail Simulator.

That's how it's been ever since KRS has been released. Many people, from both the MSTS and Trainz camp, were more than happy to jump on the bandwagon and snicker amongst themselves about how buggy and rough KRS was compared to their product; all of them conveniently left out the fact that their sims started off just as buggy and rough.

I pointed this out once and was told that it shouldn't be buggy, it generated too much hype, it should be absolutely razor-blade perfect, they've had years to work on it, etc etc etc. With all the hype that's been generated over each release of Trainz, and the time they had to work on each release compared to what was actually added in that time, I actually laughed out loud, but decided not to point out the irony. A mistake, in retrospect.

jivebunny
December 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
My PC was the victim of a power surge a couple of months ago in which I lost all the data on both my hard drives, and also my graphics card. Having bought a new hard drive, I picked up RS in HMV - on impulse admittedly - and although the initial release does have plenty of bugs (just like MSTS, TRS06 and from what I've heard TRS04) I am finding it far less frustrating to use than TRS was initially, to the point where I haven't bothered to install TRS06 back onto my PC.

The route editor is completely different, and whilst it takes a while to get used to, is no less cumbersome and clumsy than Surveyor, and I find is actually better in some areas. For starters you can switch to it directly from driving mode, allowing you edit the route as you drive, without so much as a loading screen between the two "modules". Then there are a couple of very nice touches, such as the way the pointwork (blades, flangeways etc) is automatically created when you attach two pieces of track together, the way you can set the exact length of a siding or platform, so that the train knows where to stop, the way the direction you lay the track doesn't affect the sim's pathfinding abilities. And the offset tool, which allows you to lay a fence or a platform exactly parallel to the track (or road), the "drive to" command which allows you to set a speed at which the train should pass the waypoint, and then of course the vastly more intelligent AI, which if it wasn't for the faults with the signalling (being addressed in the upcoming patch) would be fairly close to perfect.

The sim looks and sounds absolutely superb. I'm currently running it in 800x600 windowed mode with NO graphics card and only a crappy AMD Sempron to handle the work, yet still getting on average 15-20 FPS. Try doing that with '06.

I am not poo-pooing TRS and having been a long-term user so I hope I am providing a balanced viewpoint. It is an excellent simulator and I think it will be a long time before anyone comes up with a better route editor, or asset management system (&#224; la CMP), but for me RS is the next step, just like Trainz and then TRS06 were when I decided MSTS was nowhere near a good enough sim. If one day TRS gets a major reworking with decent sounds and an up-to-date (or at least efficient) graphics engine then I will find it hard to resist coming back, but for now I'm with RS.

JB

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Which firewall software are you using ? Have you tried it with it turned off ?

John

I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection. Unlike it's predecessors, SEP is not a resource hog and is fast and easy to use. I disabled the entire suite and still no connection. I've completely disabled all Vista protection programs. I usually go through most of the Windows settings and tweak everything. I have network technician training and there's nothing I can find wrong at my end.

Is there any way to do this manually? I know you can get the files but without the dependencies, those a virtually useless unless I know which dependencies I need to look for.

JCitron
December 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection. Unlike it's predecessors, SEP is not a resource hog and is fast and easy to use. I disabled the entire suite and still no connection. I've completely disabled all Vista protection programs. I usually go through most of the Windows settings and tweak everything. I have network technician training and there's nothing I can find wrong at my end.

Is there any way to do this manually? I know you can get the files but without the dependencies, those a virtually useless unless I know which dependencies I need to look for.

Are you having "Can't connect" problems? or Unable validate username and password issues?

If it's the latter case. make sure that your username and password are same that you registered Trainz with, and that you passoword is correct. This might sound like a dumb suggestion, but it's just a suggestion.

John

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Are you having "Can't connect" problems? or Unable validate username and password issues?

If it's the latter case. make sure that your username and password are same that you registered Trainz with, and that you passoword is correct. This might sound like a dumb suggestion, but it's just a suggestion.

John

I can't register at all because it refuses to connect. Even when I have no protection software installed it does the same thing. I'm wondering if this would work with Trainz Railwayz. There's no chance I can go back to Windows XP because an update messes up my Adobe Audition program. I heard that TR was streamlined from all the 3rd party modules and cleaned up in some areas. Plus it might work better on Vista. The bad thing is that I can't get a copy of it legally and I'm not about to start downloading games and stuff.

I called EB and asked them to order it for me, and they can't or won't.

AHSAN
December 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hello

oops looks like their is a narrowgauge bug in kuju's Rail Sim:

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=78000

Regards

Ahsan:hehe:
North American Trainz Team (http://www.freewebs.com/northamericantrainz/index.htm)

jivebunny
December 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM
That thread simply shows someone trying to make the sim do something it is not currently designed to do. Kuju never stated that narrow gauge was going to be supported in the initial release, it would instead be a feature in the first service pack, so I'm not sure how this can be referred to as a bug.

Capt_Scarlet
December 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I can't register at all because it refuses to connect. Even when I have no protection software installed it does the same thing. I'm wondering if this would work with Trainz Railwayz. There's no chance I can go back to Windows XP because an update messes up my Adobe Audition program. I heard that TR was streamlined from all the 3rd party modules and cleaned up in some areas. Plus it might work better on Vista. The bad thing is that I can't get a copy of it legally and I'm not about to start downloading games and stuff.

I called EB and asked them to order it for me, and they can't or won't.

I have a question for you, did you install TRS2006 into Vista following the instructions listed in the following link ?
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=94061&postcount=3

also have you updated it with the latest service patch for your version ?

John

Snaptrap
December 17th, 2007, 07:26 PM
All that link does is take me to a page that I'm not permitted to see. I have Vista's SP1 and Trainz SP1. I installed the game right off the disc by clicking Setup. I don't know?? Maybe it's because I like to direct all my games to one games folder which then branches into their own seperate folders for each game. Be nice if this downloading system was simplified like Rail Simulator where you can just grab the stock you want from their website and install it.

I'll probably just give up on this and make an attempt to get the content manually. I got most if it already and all I need are the dependencies which appear to be a lot missing or I can load up 3D Max and try port the Trainz content over to RS using the tools provided. Eventually I'm going to get one of these games to work like I want them to.

zatovisualworks
December 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yay, another convert:p:hehe:

:hehe: Yeeeezzzzzzzzz, Wolfgang, yeeeezzzzz. I do like this thread, old-styled as they are supposed to be at The General! Aaaaaaah, how I missed this! :hehe:

BTW, some RS sunblowers over here shouln't forget to have a look at previous RS threads where some "biased" testers (like myself) gave a deep-blue-sea review of this fiasco release, -la d&#233;sir&#233;e- :hehe:, and didn't write from others' impressions at all.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=15223

Take care and have fun,

Alberte, from a sunblower to others ;) :wave:

Red_Rattler
December 17th, 2007, 08:26 PM
You can't say that a train simulator is better than another
(Comparing Apples & Oranges)

First tydev417, I'm on dial up, and pictures as big as 1024x768 aren't suppose to be in this section, as it was taking time to download the page.

Their is no one train simulator that is better or not than ANY other simulator. What is good to one person, may not be good to the other - similar to voting, or one having a preference of steam than diesels, etc. I'm not going to repeat what I already have said in another thread except to say that each & EVERY simulator & model railway have their bad & good points.

PS: Do we need another thread on an X versus Y simulator?

geoffwilliams
December 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Well, I'm using and enjoying both.
Trainz and RS are completely different and there are good points and moderate points about both. The graphical detail in RS is far superior to Trainz, and I'm sure once the bugs are ironed out it will take off. Trainz, on the other hand, is better when it comes to constructing your own routes and content. It's biggest let down is the so called Content Manager Plus, they should find a way of scapping this at the earliest.

If you can afford the time and money go for both, don't reckon you will regret it.
Geoff

Snaptrap
December 18th, 2007, 01:46 AM
You can't say that a train simulator is better than another
(Comparing Apples & Oranges)

First tydev417, I'm on dial up, and pictures as big as 1024x768 aren't suppose to be in this section, as it was taking time to download the page.

Their is no one train simulator that is better or not than ANY other simulator. What is good to one person, may not be good to the other - similar to voting, or one having a preference of steam than diesels, etc. I'm not going to repeat what I already have said in another thread except to say that each & EVERY simulator & model railway have their bad & good points.

PS: Do we need another thread on an X versus Y simulator?

If you'd noticed, that I wanted factual information comparing the two games so I can make a decision of which game would be best for me. Unfortunately it turned into another vs thread.

Capt_Scarlet
December 18th, 2007, 03:14 AM
All that link does is take me to a page that I'm not permitted to see. I have Vista's SP1 and Trainz SP1. I installed the game right off the disc by clicking Setup. I don't know?? Maybe it's because I like to direct all my games to one games folder which then branches into their own seperate folders for each game. Be nice if this downloading system was simplified like Rail Simulator where you can just grab the stock you want from their website and install it.

I'll probably just give up on this and make an attempt to get the content manually. I got most if it already and all I need are the dependencies which appear to be a lot missing or I can load up 3D Max and try port the Trainz content over to RS using the tools provided. Eventually I'm going to get one of these games to work like I want them to.

I have to ask, but have you registered the game with Planet Auran and set up your password etc ?

John

Snaptrap
December 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I have to ask, but have you registered the game with Planet Auran and set up your password etc ?

John

Can't I do that through the game? It's what I've been trying to do since it's asking me to register.

jivebunny
December 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Can't I do that through the game?

From memory I think there may be a "Register" option on the main menu, but I'm not sure if a) I'm right or b) it works. The quickest way is just to click http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/header/menu_serialnumber.jpg at the top of the forum and go through the relevant steps.

Cheers,

JB

Capt_Scarlet
December 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Can't I do that through the game? It's what I've been trying to do since it's asking me to register.

That explains why you haven't been able to connect to the DLS. You have to register the game via the web site and then use that info to input into CMP, eg user name, Kuid id and password for Planet Auran. Thats probably why you cant see the link to the post I gave you.

John

Ackazacka
December 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
You should stick with Trainz.
I've seen the video clip for it. It looks really complicating.
As Meridious said "Stick with Trainz":D http://www.mikestrainzcreations.com/flatcar.gif

tydev417
December 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
You can't come to a solely Trainz forum (or a solely MSTS forum) looking for an impartial decision on whether you want X or Y simulator, you should've come to expect that it would've sparked a useless debate. Although I feel that you should've asked the UKTrainSim users because they're the most well-rounded community of all..(MSTS, RS, MSTS X, Trainz and BVE), I suggest you simply download the demo of Rail Simulator and the demo of Trainz 2006 and decide for yourself.

zatovisualworks
December 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
:hehe: If you ask my wifey...

"None of them, you little children playing with train toys!" :p (tougher in original Spanish version, :hehe:)

Yes, it depends on who you ask.

BTW, we are proud that this is Indian Trainzy Sacred Land :hehe: and much more of late. It's raining too much trouble over here, no time or liking to support other Indian tribes. ;) We respect our ancestors and their sacred places. :hehe:

Alberte :wave: , Chief Bald Skull

Capt_Scarlet
December 20th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I do believe he has made his mind up and is looking at RS. This is because when he tried to register the game something went wrong and when he tried to post on the forum again he couldn't. He gave up at that point.

John

Paulsik
July 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I like em both, Each has their good points and bad points,

RS is graphically prettier than trainz

Trainz has a much easier interface and controls.

The DLS is great, the only place ive found content for RS is on trainsim site and you have to pay for a worthing dl speed.

The editor in RS is simplar, The trainz one is more complex and versitile (I prefer it)

In all both are good and both are used by myself, Trainz more so as i have much more content for it :)

Moojgoo
July 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The DLS is great, the only place ive found content for RS is on trainsim site and you have to pay for a worthing dl speed.

There's UK Train Sim, too. But you have to pay if you don't want to wait for downloads.

techni
July 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I has Rail Simulator here, wait since the begin for this game.

And then, spend much of money and it was bad.

Two things are good grafic and sound.

But gameplay?
Fun?

Nothing, there was only one train on a track - yours.
You can only drive from point to point like MSTS.

With Trainz I can do much more things.

coalguage
July 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I had bought Rail Simulator game. Its nothing special about the game,and the editor to make your own route is hard. Trainz is the best train simulator game out there right now.

nikos1
July 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I has Rail Simulator here, wait since the begin for this game.

And then, spend much of money and it was bad.

Two things are good grafic and sound.

But gameplay?
Fun?

Nothing, there was only one train on a track - yours.
You can only drive from point to point like MSTS.

With Trainz I can do much more things.

Ummmmm explain please?
You can drive in whichever way you want, you can run from point to point if you desire, you can run your train around in circles or figure 8's if that pleases you, you can switch yards, drop of cars at sidings, anything you could do in trainz, mabye except drive trains down vertical hills:o

quakers1
July 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I am not trying to cause a stir, but I love Trainz and hate Railsim.

The Trainz route editor is easy to use, there is a large selection of Canadian National content available, and Trainz will run on lower end computers.

The KRS route editor is barely useable to me, there is no CN content whatsoever, and it takes a higher end computer to run smoothly.

So, I recommend Trainz above all railway simulators.

-Skylar

cascaderailroad
July 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
My son purchased Trainz Railways (TrainSimulator2006 Full Version) from Best Buy in Nov 2007 for $14 US. On EBay there are equal values, just make sure its original unopened from factory, or you may not be able to re-register it if someone has previously registered the disk with their own username and password. I think Trainz is great. Looking forward to MSTS 2 for the Horseshoe Curve route, but thats not even released yet...SO I'M BUILDING MY OWN Horseshoe Curve on Trainz:cool:

nikos1
July 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I am not trying to cause a stir, but I love Trainz and hate Railsim.

The Trainz route editor is easy to use, there is a large selection of Canadian National content available, and Trainz will run on lower end computers.

The KRS route editor is barely useable to me, there is no CN content whatsoever, and it takes a higher end computer to run smoothly.

So, I recommend Trainz above all railway simulators.

-Skylar

Trainz is usable on low end computers? Right...........
Sure if you want to run routes with minimal scenery and detail then it will run fine, try something detailed and your FPS will crash and burn. I gave up on trainz because i could never run the routes i created, the most i could do is take screenshots while i attempted to run with single digit FPS. with RailSim i have never had a serious FPS issue with either the default routes or my own routes, not to mention this is with shadows and shaders on vs Trs with no shadows, and of course no shaders as TRS doesnt even have them....
The route editor has a steeper learning curve yes, but it is hardly unusable, infact it allows things that would be impossible in trainz.
So you are saying RailSim sucks because it lacks CN content? well is that the developers problem? No go make some if you want it, even if they did include some then im sure you would be whining that there was no UP content.

Mouse84
July 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Trainz = Complete Railway Network Simulator.

RS = Pretty Graphics engine and nothing else.

That sums it up quite nicely. :)

Vern
July 15th, 2008, 02:44 AM
And if you dare to criticise RS at UKTS (and Train-sim.com now, it seems) they release the hounds - even feedback in a constructive tone has a habit of being put down! I have noticed several people who were trying to get to grips with and make something of it no longer bothering or at least no longer posting.

At the moment it's uninstalled and unless I hear that the Mark 2 upgrade has significantly improved the core deficiencies I doubt I'll bother reinstalling it.

TC3 sounds fantastic from what you describe Mike, looking forward to the arrival of my copy.

hoseclamp
July 15th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I have purchased both editions of KRS (imported the UK Edition from UKTS and purchased the US Edition at Future Shop). While KRS is quite rich graphically, I really do not find it that much more impressive than quality third-party content for TRS. I'm very interested in what MSTS2 may have to offer, but at this point my preference is with TRS. You just can't beat the simplicity of TRS with any current competing train simulators and that's enough to keep me with Trainz.
The recent announcements from Auran regarding the future editions of Trainz are also quite exciting and enticing enough to keep my interest in it.

abarten
July 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I reviewed it for Railroad Model Craftsman, but since they didn't bother to publish it, I put it up on my V-Scaler web site here: http://www.vscaler.com/KRS.html

Al

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6402/vrlogobi4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Vern
July 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
One slight point Al, Kuju is actually a British developer (based in Godalming, Surrey) not Japanese as you state in the article.