PDA

View Full Version : Auran in trouble

winjmoore
December 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM
So it seams Furry was not the big hit that it was hoped to be..
Ho well never mind life goes on.
But by the look of the number of people downloading from the DLS today it seams they think auran is going to fall over.
Well that decision has yet to be made. It is at least a month away, worst case or just stupid, best case
So I read all sorts of platatudes at
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=19707&highlight=This+afternoon+Auran+Developments
about how we wish everyone well its a bummer to loose your job at this time of year.
And I read Complaints about the DLS not working. Roumer has it that we are all over their downloading like stupid to get everything. and it is just full to overloading

So if you want to download from the download station fork out a few bucks this christmas to help auran along and get yourself a first class ticket and some good karma to boot
http://www.auran.com/auran/shop/Display_Product.php?PID=25&BP=List
3 months

http://railroadsimulator.com/auran/shop/Display_Product.php?PID=32&BP=List
6 months

http://www.auran.com/auran/shop/Display_Product.php?PID=33
12 months

you can also check out US pricing at
http://harn.net/auran/shop_f.htm?&a=1&PlatformID=&GenreID=&OpenProductID=33&CurrentPage=6&PlatformID=&GenreID=&#PID33
only $9.99

So if in 6 months time the download station fails to be.
Well won't you wish you had got yourself a ticket to help Auran out

PS to those that say but I've already got a First class ticket. Well you can always get another and actervate it when your current one runs out

Everyone
have a good christmas

rogjohn
December 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I totally agree...:)
I am even contemplating buying the specail Christmas offer even though I have most of it - what fantastic value plus DLS thrown it!!

Again I add my support for the Fury tream - I know I have been there!

Wessex_Electric_Nutter
December 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
So if you want to download from the download station fork out a few bucks this christmas to help auran along and get yourself a first class ticket and some good karma to boot

Do Auran accept generous donations during this troubled time if they need it?

/me thinks Auran would be better off as a charity! ;)

amigacooke
December 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM
/me thinks Auran would be better off as a charity! ;)
I thought they were! At least I've been donating regularly. ;)

rogjohn
December 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I take in you mean the Lost husband in darkened room charity!

johnwhelan
December 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
If as I suspect money was borrowed against Trainz software as part of the assets anything less than buying about 200,000 copies of Fury or 500,000 copies of Trainz direct from Auran is going to be a waste of time.

The best that can be hoped for is the creditors allow a restructing or some one buys the assets. Currently hedge funds are buying up the debts of companies such as Auran and then hoping to get a favourable cretors settlement. Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes it can take many months for anything to happen. In the case of Trainz the faster something happens the better otherwise it may get passed over.

Cheerio John

caddylars
December 14th, 2007, 10:12 AM
You guys got to be kidding, right?
This is buisness, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you dont
Welcome to the real life:o

http://www.zatovisualworks.com/smileys/tolo.gif

just my thoughts
Lars

ex-railwayman
December 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Is that why the DLS has been down all day ( British time ), or is there another possible explanation ???

Trust me to take the day off work, to do some Trainzing....

Cheerz ex :confused:

amigacooke
December 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
So it seams Furry was not the big hit that it was hoped to be..

Furry ...... that might have tickled my fancy. :)

WCL
December 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Is that why the DLS has been down all day ( British time ), or is there another possible explanation ???

Trust me to take the day off work, to do some Trainzing....

Cheerz ex :confused:

Yeah it has been down yesterday and today so far....Hopefully it goes back up soon here....I need some stuff :D

josefpav
December 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Via CMP, the DLS works without problems here. I have downloaded several assets. The DLS web page is currently down, thats true.

Patricia_B
December 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
hello

DLS :

http://www.auran.com/trainz/downloadst.htm

zatovisualworks
December 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I do think trainzers are panicking! This is a human response to a worrying announcement. I'm not judging this response at all. Everyone reacts as s/he likes.

But I dare to ask trainzers to calm down please!

Thank you very much for doing so. I do think that outer calm can help the owners and shareholders of this business (we are also dealing with workers like myself) to lead this situation to a safer place.

Yes, my dear Lars, this is just business (and employment!) but our virtual amusement is also involved. ;)

Anyway, the contents of the DS belong to their creators too and fortunately enough most of them are sound and safe for long years to live on.

Take care and take it easy, my friends,

Alberte :wave:

BTW, I'm not downloading anything at all, and don't intend to do during the weekend. Maybe upload something to change directions. :hehe:

robin_hoods
December 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
hello

DLS :

Hi the link you have given is just for Trainz1.3
It is of no use if you want TRS204 content which I do.

maartentje
December 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
hello

DLS :

cool that old one still works:'(

Patricia_B
December 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM
HELLO

But not you will also find objects of TRS2004-2006 .....
You made a research anything (Categories)
then you have the result
you have in additional choice (choice Pre Pack Service 3 SP3 - choice UTC - choice All)
Choisire (All)
choice Pre Service Pack 3 SP3 - choice UTC - choice All It is necessary to put (All) as choice as that you will find UTC, TRS 2004, TRS2006 etc.

http://www.patricia-trainz2004.ch/images/dls.jpg

Cordially

gliderboy
December 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Aww, I though I could get that one single piece of content I need but oh well, its shows '04 and '06 content but you can't download it:confused:

Dave

Zwabberaar
December 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Aww, I though I could get that one single piece of content I need but oh well, its shows '04 and '06 content but you can't download it:confused:

Dave

Use CMP and then you can download.

PerRock
December 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
download it fia ftp. then install the cdp.

peter

gliderboy
December 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Will that work using '04?

Dave

PerRock
December 15th, 2007, 12:42 PM
yup it should.

peter

gliderboy
December 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
yup it should.

peter
At the risk of sounding like abit of an idiot how do I do it?

Thanks

Dave

zatovisualworks
December 15th, 2007, 07:17 PM
:hehe: The same old story... The DS is back, sound and safe, and speculations fading away... another déjà vu. ;)

Please, don't rush to the DS way-in gate, let outgoers first. :p

Take care of overloading, my friends.

Alberte :wave:

Lo_Poly
December 15th, 2007, 07:27 PM
The same old story... The DS is back, sound and safe, and speculations fading away... another déjà vu.

Please, don't rush to the DS way-in gate, let outgoers first.

Take care of overloading, my friends.

Alberte

That's what I've been trying to tell everyone. Do your research first, don't keep posting the same thread over and over (use search!), and don't panic like it's the end of the world, and don't waffle!!

Now all the poor mods have to go around and try to clean things up!

Emphasis... :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

cableguy
December 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM
http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,22923514-5014117,00.html

ONE of Australia's biggest computer game developers, Auran Development, was placed into voluntary administration yesterday, despite recently securing multi-million dollar investments from the National Australia Bank and the federal Government.
The decision was made after poorer than expected sales of its online multi player game, Fury, which Auran has spent $15 million developing over the past three years.
Last week, Auran announced a new business model dubbed "Free to Download, Free to Play" which will waive the regular monthly subscription fees.
The new offer , which launches today, is a radical move away from the regular Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game subscription model.
In October, the NAB made a "seven-figure investment" to help market Fury internationally. The funding came after Auran secured $2 million in funding from the federal government's credit agency, the Export Finance and Insurance Corporation (EFIC).
Chief executive Tony Hilliam couldn't discuss whether the funding had been spent and said he would meet with both parties in the near future to discuss future arrangements.
NAB and EFIC could not be reached for comment.
Around 80 per cent of Auran employees have lost their jobs.
Auran employed 70 staff, and between 15 and 20 people, including Mr Hilliam, are set to join Fury's licensee N3VR41L Publishing.

deltic03
December 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I am still not able to access the DLS..........................

SpikeTop
December 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Well, boys and girls, it's finaly gone. No access at all any way. This toy train game has derailed for good this time I believe.:confused: I believe this forum will be the next thing to go.:confused:

I suggest all you content makers open a free web site and post your assets so we can all still get them. You can still post at the TPRDD as I am doing. I also suggest finding yourself a couple good forums and nest in. There is about 5 good active ones out there, now.:)

Have fun!

Spike

NICKEL
December 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Download station working right now and I used it all day yesterday. CMP gets you in no problem.

Mike10
December 16th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Well, boys and girls, it's finaly gone. No access at all any way. This toy train game has derailed for good this time I believe.:confused: I believe this forum will be the next thing to go.:confused:

I suggest all you content makers open a free web site and post your assets so we can all still get them. You can still post at the TPRDD as I am doing. I also suggest finding yourself a couple good forums and nest in. There is about 5 good active ones out there, now.:)

Have fun!

Spike

And I suggest you stop spreading unfounded rumours, despondency and gloom and wait and see what happens.

The DLS is always flaky at weekends and with people like yourself panicking and hitting it hard this was never going to be a good time to access it

Mike.

Drucifer
December 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM
And I suggest you stop spreading unfounded rumours, despondency and gloom and wait and see what happens.

The DLS is always flaky at weekends and with people like yourself panicking and hitting it hard this was never going to be a good time to access it

Mike.I seem to remember many a posts by the Auran folks claiming Trainz was never a money maker. If Auran is restructure during this shakeup, I would think they would dump all money losing projects.

aardvark1
December 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Dru, do you just enjoy trying to drive nails into a coffin?

While your expert opinions are always respected, until we, the Community, have all the facts relayed to us from Auran, please stop making comments which just add to fuel to the fire for more panic posts.

Thank you for your wisdom and understanding during these difficult times.

Respectfully,
Ron

atsfrr3000
December 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The sad part, however, is that it's true. I can't be bothered to find a link atm, but if I recall correctly, it was either Tony Hilliam or Lance Jago that stated that Trainz has never turned a profit for Auran.

As much as I absolutely love Trainz and would want it to continue on, if I were a higher-up at Auran and had to start evaluating my company, Trainz would probably be high on the list of things to go, simply because it's a money suck. It's just common business sense.

I certainly hope that Auran as a whole gets through this and continue to develop Trainz for us, but if things start to go sour, I can imagine Trainz coming under heavy review in Brisbane.

johnwhelan
December 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I seem to remember many a posts by the Auran folks claiming Trainz was never a money maker. If Auran is restructure during this shakeup, I would think they would dump all money losing projects.

I think you're growing old like me and our memory is going. I seem to recall the words as well. Strange now when it seems that Trainz is practically the one thing that might get rescued.

Cheerio John

Capt_Scarlet
December 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I think you would find that those comments were in relation to the past development of Trainz up to TRS2006. Since then they changed the way they did things so they stayed within a budget so perhaps the statement no longer applies.

John

Drucifer
December 16th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Dru, do you just enjoy trying to drive nails into a coffin?

While your expert opinions are always respected, until we, the Community, have all the facts relayed to us from Auran, please stop making comments which just add to fuel to the fire for more panic posts.

Thank you for your wisdom and understanding during these difficult times.

Respectfully,
RonMe? I just remember things.

Oh, I didn't believe the Auran folks back, just like I don't believe 'em now. I never believe corporate-speak.

Mike10
December 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Believe them or not, talking them down all the time doesn't exactly help does it. We don't run the company, and they probably don't care what we think with regard to how they run the company, so how does it help to discuss it.

The comments you are thinking of were (I believe) with regard to the reasons for changing to the Classics release model rather than the two-yearly TRS release strategy. Of course plenty on here complained about that as being wrong.

So, Dru. If tomorrow the Auran boys come on here and say it is the end of the line for Trainz (as your recent posts seems to imply you would wish). What exactly are you going to do

Mike.

Drucifer
December 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
. . .
So, Dru. If tomorrow the Auran boys come on here and say it is the end of the line for Trainz (as your recent posts seems to imply you would wish). What exactly are you going to do

Mike.What I've been doing for years. Buy railroad simulators as they come out and work on my N-scale model trains.

And if you want to keep in touch with what's going on -- setup two Google Alerts -- one for Trainz and one for Auran.

Lo_Poly
December 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM
And yet, life goes on...

lner
December 16th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I have just been skim reading most of these posts and then reading the larger ones thoughrly (sp?) and I can only come to the conclusion that no good will come if we start bickering amongst ourselves, what we really need to do is club togethor as one voice to support Auran through this rough patch, anyone can belive what they like about a company but at the end of the day, who provided us with Trainz in the first place?.......Auran. We should be thankfull that this company provided us with a enjoyable game, that is user friendly for all ages.
Some people have made the desicision to leave Trainz for other railway sims because they use better graphics etc, I am only using this as an example I used to play MSTS till my mum brought trainz and i thought it was great I could build my own routes and drive the trains without having to work out the controls first. I have come along wa now with Trainz, you only need to check the screenshots section to see what can be done, in posts by Emo and Hardcourt, but at the same time the younger or newer users are also showing us brilliant routes, some of wich visually beat other sims and some of which are level or below, so long as the user is happy, why should anyone care.

I shall finish by saying remeber we are a comunity and as a comunity we should stick togethor, I know I am not a regular poster around here and this is a lot of text, it is just a summary of my thoughts whilst reading through this thread.

THANKYOU FOR A GREAT GAME AURAN AND GOOD LUCK GETING THROUGH THIS ROUGH PATCH!!!!:):)

Thankyou lner

amigacooke
December 17th, 2007, 05:11 AM
As most of Auran is pre-occupied with it's forthcoming MMORPG, we take on the responsibility of maintaining Jet related projects alongside various worldwide Trainz versions in order keep investment capital flowing into Trainz.

As I have noted many times before here, the developement capital that we as hardcore Trainz fans generate is subsistence developement. In establishing it's foothold in the market, management wanted to act as much as possible on the feedback it received, and often tried to expand beyond what the revenues afforded.

The original and optimistic Trainz image succesfully gave the impression that the community's investment would keep Trainz running forever, but in fact we as hardcore fans aren't the majority of buyers.

Nowadays and as a community we need to think less like individuals and more as a community about those who really pay to keep things running.

During it's establishment phase, Auran chose to provide substantial software updates free of charge. The developement costs in some cases were outstanding compared to the revenue.

Trainz is now an established product, and it doesn't deserve to be treated like a fledgeling anymore.

If you disagree with paying for the upgrades you are used to receiving freely, then you may wait until a collective edition is released in the future containing all of the code updates thus far.

Until then however, something has to pay for all this developement. So it disappoints me when I see people taking small issues to justify posts about not wishing to pay for upgrades or a realistic future for Trainz.

Personally I would love to see less conflict between the people who front the money to develope the game and some of the people who enjoy the results of their investment the most.

Please remember those same people front the money to keep this forum running and need to sell a certain number of copies to pay for it's upkeep alone.

Speaking on behalf of the small Trainz team, we'd like to use our mainstream selling power to pay for the kicks we want to get out of Trainz like better signals, better particles, better steam and importantly better sound.

The DLS issues will be taken care of as soon as is convenient for our server staff who are extremely busy right now preparing for launch of the multi-million dollar Fury project. As you may imagine, updating the DLS is not *quite* as urgent as preparing to run a MMORPG.

Of course we'd like you to make the transition, and Trainz Classics is here to stay, it is a new and exciting establishment phase, and largely it is about providing great new features and code redevelopement for talented creators to draw on.

I very much look forward to what supporters will do with the new functions already available for TC1&2, and I am thrilled with the work that Aidan and James have been preparing for the next episode.

Thanks,

~R~Thought perhaps one of Rob's more recent posts might be useful here for those with selective memories. If I get the gist it says in the old days Auran were happy to subsidize Trainz, but TC is the start of the model that demands that Trainz is at least self-sufficient.

In other words the loss making model is long gone and Trainz has already been restructured.

Oh and Auran have already chopped the dead wood ...... Mac Trainz ....... grumble, grumble, moan, moan ....... ;)

Euphod
December 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM
"As I have noted many times before here, the developement capital that we as hardcore Trainz fans generate is subsistence developement. In establishing it's foothold in the market, management wanted to act as much as possible on the feedback it received, and often tried to expand beyond what the revenues afforded."

Yeah, that and there's no "E" after "P" in "Development". Rob continues this mistake throughout his post, and I'm convinced even then he was trying to tell us something.....in code yet!

Just like Paul died ages ago and was replaced by a doppelganger so the Beatles could go on, Rob is trying to tell us the future of Trainz in his cryptic and often nonsensical missive. Notice he places the wayward "E" in "Development" a total of four times.

That's the clue; four "e"...foure....FURY! Get it? I've spent months pouring over all of Rob's, Alan's and Lance's posts (well....okay....maybe not so much Lance's)......and I inserted the information into a database, collated and cross referenced certain key words, and transcribed everything into Latin. You may be interested to know that when you combine the posts made here since June 6th of 2006, posted by members of the Auran Staff, if you transcribe them in reverse and translate them into the original Latin, you get a road map of sorts detailing the future of Trainz.

Or it's just complete gibberish and I've wasted untold hours.

More than likely....the latter.

Ed

amigacooke
December 17th, 2007, 06:02 AM
"As I have noted many times before here, the developement capital that we as hardcore Trainz fans generate is subsistence developement. In establishing it's foothold in the market, management wanted to act as much as possible on the feedback it received, and often tried to expand beyond what the revenues afforded."

Yeah, that and there's no "E" after "P" in "Development". Rob continues this mistake throughout his post, and I'm convinced even then he was trying to tell us something.....in code yet!

Just like Paul died ages ago and was replaced by a doppelganger so the Beatles could go on, Rob is trying to tell us the future of Trainz in his cryptic and often nonsensical missive. Notice he places the wayward "E" in "Development" a total of four times.

That's the clue; four "e"...foure....FURY! Get it? I've spent months pouring over all of Rob's, Alan's and Lance's posts (well....okay....maybe not so much Lance's)......and I inserted the information into a database, collated and cross referenced certain key words, and transcribed everything into Latin. You may be interested to know that when you combine the posts made here since June 6th of 2006, posted by members of the Auran Staff, if you transcribe them in reverse and translate them into the original Latin, you get a road map of sorts detailing the future of Trainz.

Or it's just complete gibberish and I've wasted untold hours.

More than likely....the latter.

Ed
Well I wouldn't doubt your expertise on complete gibberish.

Shortline2
December 17th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks Ed, love your last post. :)

Made a big big smile on my face, and made the whole day way better.

Glad to see I'm not alone in possible waste lot of hours on something - but hey, it is fun, so maybe it is not a total waste after all. LOL

Whatever it is, I have Trainz, in many versions, and if time let me have more versions, great - if not, well I still have lot of fun with what I have.

So, for each day I can spend playing & working with what I have, I have countless hours of fun wasted time I could have done more productive works on - not! ;)
If I didn't spend time with Trainz stuff, I would spend it with other just as wasted in some sense stuff.

So, let us all enjoy life, it is short enough, and Ed, I still love you as always - it is so great to meet you from time to time. ;)

Best wishes from a crazy Viking, I mean, Norwegian... LOL

Linda

Mr.Jingles
December 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I've been away from the forums for a while, but allow me to throw in my opinion :).

I could say "I told you that would happen (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=162529&postcount=14)", but I don't want to put too much salt in auran's wounds (Fury averaging a 3 out of 10 score on almost all major game review sites, with an average user score of 2 out of 10).

Don't get me wrong but that just was 15 wasted million dollars and 3 wasted years.
Think about which awesome Trainz we could have by now if that amount of time and money would have been spent into auran's leading franchise (Trainz).

Sure a developer has to try something new from time to time but failing so badly in doing so, that's just .. I'm lost for the correct words here, but I hope you get my point.

Anyways, back to real work now, development gurus !
We want to see a brand new, vastly improved Trainz by the end of 2008 / 2009 :D.

EDIT : Just saw that fury is now offered completely for free.
I've never seen a "pay 10 $ per month to play online" game drop to "it's free forever" that fast.
Gave me a damn good laugh, even if that may sound macabre to you.
I can't imagine how the beta testers or those who bought it might feel :hehe:.
Still I have absolutely no intentions of even considering a download.

All the best,
Mr.Jingles

Lo_Poly
December 17th, 2007, 11:10 AM
We want to see a brand new, vastly improved Trainz by the end of 2008 / 2009 :D.

As much as I hate to say this, it will more than likely be the same thing, just with a new GUI, some new content, a few new features, a few broken features, and nothing else.

I say this because I believe it to be the trend. The last several releases of Trainz have been like that. I am not sure whether it's from a lack of resources, just plain laziness, or the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but look at all the stuff that got broken in Classics!

:(

Mr.Jingles
December 17th, 2007, 11:22 AM
As much as I hate to say this, it will more than likely be the same thing, just with a new GUI, some new content, a few new features, a few broken features, and nothing else.

I say this because I believe it to be the trend. The last several releases of Trainz have been like that. I am not sure whether it's from a lack of resources, just plain laziness, or the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but look at all the stuff that got broken in Classics!

Classics ? Hmm .. classics .. *shrugs* .. classics .. That should ring a bell .. :o
Aah, the bugged so called "map packs" :hehe: well, that's another story.

Classics didn't interest me AT ALL either, that's just a few maps and even more bugs that are being sold as some kind of "revolutionary new product line", announced as "being improved over time with new features".
Marketing, all marketing.
I'm waiting for a real succeeder to TRS2006, not some map packs, but a whole new game engine with features taken into account that are being (and have been) requested by us long time community members who always stood behind auran (until a certain point).

That's what I meant with "We want to see a brand new, vastly improved Trainz by the end of 2008 / 2009".

Best Regards
Mr.Jingles

aardvark1
December 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM
What bugs are in Classics?

Out of the box, it (Classics) works well, and does exactly what it was designed to do.

The fact that people are trying to make Classics into TRS2006 Plus by importing broken content should not be viewed as .."bugs".

With the limited human resources available to the Trainz Team at Auran...please try not to hold your breath too long waiting for the revolutionary changes that you seem to need.

With respect to the comment by Mr.Jingles about the $15 million wasted...it's called "business"...some make it...some do not.

If Auran were to use the $15 million on Trainz.... for the 3000+ active users shown at the bottom of the forum opening page, that would be about $5000 investment per active user...now that would be viewed as corporate insanity.

Yes, I understand that there are more people using Trainz than the 3000+ active forum members...I just used that number as a point of reference.

***sigh***

Lo_Poly
December 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM
What bugs are in Classics?

Out of the box, it (Classics) works well, and does exactly what it was designed to do.

The fact that people are trying to make Classics into TRS2006 Plus by importing broken content should not be viewed as .."bugs".

With the limited human resources available to the Trainz Team at Auran...please try not to hold your breath too long waiting for the revolutionary changes that you seem to need.

With respect to the comment by Mr.Jingles about the $15 million wasted...it's called "business"...some make it...some do not.

If Auran were to use the $15 million on Trainz.... for the 3000+ active users shown at the bottom of the forum opening page, that would be about $5000 investment per active user...now that would be viewed as corporate insanity.

Yes, I understand that there are more people using Trainz than the 3000+ active forum members...I just used that number as a point of reference.

***sigh***

Well let me get started.

Classics isn't that bad. A lot of nonsense has been fixed with CMP, that's a given, but it's still very, very far from perfect.

As for Trainz itself, the sky being broken is one, unlike previous TRS releases, if it tries to load a faulty asset while caching a large area it is likely to crash (but not all the time). I remember in TRS2006, while there would likely be some unwanted behavior, it wouldn't die on me if it loaded a faulty asset. I'm not sure if this is present in other versions but in OpenGL, everything flickers like Christmas lights at night. But, this is not a thread to list every bug known!

I really would like Auran to try and make a truly good release in 2008, because MSTS2 is coming out. No one can say what MSTS2 will be like, but you usually want to be prepared (?). Auran did nothing about the Kuju Rail Sim release (?), but Trainz still trumped it.

"Ignoring" new releases... either the Trainz dev team is very smart, or they like to gamble. :o

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

sura
December 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
This topic shot well over the target.

1. I think business inside Auran is NOT our business. We may not influence reasonable economic decisions.
2. FURY and Trainz are 2 different games. As far i know from news circulating in the Trainz-Community, TrainzClassic development is running after schedule.
3. Do not be that proud to announce bad news as first person. You do not have the possibility for control and maybe the news you want to share in express-mode causes financial losses to the subject of the news. Are you ready to pay the bill of those financial losses? If not, stay silent.

Cheers:
Sura

Mike10
December 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Auran did nothing about the Kuju Rail Sim release (?), but Trainz still trumped it.

"Ignoring" new releases... either the Trainz dev team is very smart, or they like to gamble. :o

With respect, you have no idea what they did or did not do. None of us have really. OK, they didn't release a super-duper KRS killer version but maybe they evaluated KRS and decided they didn't need to do anything.

Mike.

Mike10
December 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM
1. I think business inside Auran is NOT our business. We may not influence reasonable economic decisions.

Exactly! (and I said as much elsewhere already).

We are customers, we can tell them if we like it or not, and they may or may not take that into account. What we can't do is directly influence every single decision Auran take.

Mike.

JCitron
December 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Exactly! (and I said as much elsewhere already).

We are customers, we can tell them if we like it or not, and they may or may not take that into account. What we can't do is directly influence every single decision Auran take.

Mike.

I agree too, Mike.

We should go about our business as usual, and let Auran sort out the mess they're in right now. I've been through the rough times they're in, and it's extremely stressful and heartbreaking on the employees. My company went from 150 people to around 12 over the past 8 years, and working in IT made it worse because I had to revisit the user accounts afterwards to clean-up mail and data. Anyway, we managed to survive without going belly-up, but it was a tough road to follow.

John

paulhobbs
December 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
As for Trainz itself, the sky being broken is one, unlike previous TRS releases, if it tries to load a faulty asset while caching a large area it is likely to crash (but not all the time). I remember in TRS2006, while there would likely be some unwanted behavior, it wouldn't die on me if it loaded a faulty asset. I'm not sure if this is present in other versions but in OpenGL, everything flickers like Christmas lights at night. But, this is not a thread to list every bug known!

You are wrong (not about the sky being broken, but that's hardly a show stopper). Loading faulty assets into TC is asking for trouble - all of the work arounds for faulty assets that were put into TRS2006 were removed in TC. This had the result of dramatically improving the frame rates which (judging by quite a few posts here and probably some from you but I can't be bothered to look) was something that the customers wanted to see.

You can hardly complain that faulty assets fail to work correctly in TC when you have CMP and CCP to help you correct them. Also Auran didn't make the faulty assets, we did.

Paul

Mike10
December 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
unlike previous TRS releases, if it tries to load a faulty asset while caching a large area it is likely to crash (but not all the time).

The simple answer is to not use faulty assets then isn't it :o

Really, I'm trying hard not to swear but a lot of the posts on here today are somewhat trying to say the least.

Mike.

sura
December 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Good evening,

Really, I'm trying hard not to swear but a lot of the posts on here today are somewhat trying to say the least.

Mike, you are right i feel the same.

There are some economic evidences and rules which are adviceable to keep, like do not feel yourself being main stakeholder of the presidency if you buy a single game. if you do not believe me, test this behaviour on the Royal Dutch Shell after buying petrol regularly at the petrol station. Give them advices, which part of the company should be sold or which oilfield should be bought. I wonder if you get an urged answer...

Cheers

amigacooke
December 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM
It does seem that there are those who are just simply not paying attention.

To develop a new code rail simulator takes resources that Auran clearly do not have.

Magicland
December 18th, 2007, 01:45 PM
You are wrong (not about the sky being broken, but that's hardly a show stopper).

I guess that's really an individual point of view. I happen to like to have my skies working properly in products I pay for.

You can hardly complain that faulty assets fail to work correctly in TC when you have CMP and CCP to help you correct them. Also Auran didn't make the faulty assets, we did.
Paul

Umm, not really. Auran made a LOT of the faulty assets, and then coded TRS2006 so that it would show them as not faulty. Granted, many, many more were created by 3rd parties, and then the Trainz code was changed to make them faulty.

Lo_Poly
December 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I guess that's really an individual point of view. I happen to like to have my skies working properly in products I pay for.

Me too. And as Rob said, every release of Trainz has broken something from the previous. That's just.... no.

Umm, not really. Auran made a LOT of the faulty assets, and then coded TRS2006 so that it would show them as not faulty. Granted, many, many more were created by 3rd parties, and then the Trainz code was changed to make them faulty.

Conspiracy?? :eek:

And it's the same in Classics. If you commit all the built-in assets you'll find they're filled with errors.