PDA

View Full Version : Auran Developments News

Lance_Jago
December 13th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Hi everyone,

This afternoon Auran Developments, the developer of Fury was placed into voluntary administration (Chapter 11). This involved all the employees being dismissed.

However, the future of Trainz is still looking good. Trainz is owned by Auran Games and the directors are committed to continuing the projects currently under development and ensuring that Trainz remains as the number one rail simulator in the world. This involves a number of the Trainz team being re-employed by Auran Holdings, the parent company.

The current Trainz team are working with management to ensure that customers are not impacted by this transition. We wish to advise the community that Trainz, the Download Station and this community will continue as normal. We would also like to confirm that Trainz Classics 3 and other exciting projects to be announced soon will be delivered in the New Year as planned.

Cheers,

Lance Jago
Community Relations Manager, Trainz

llebrez
December 13th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Thank you for keeking us informed. And best wishes.. to all of us.

leeferr
December 13th, 2007, 01:30 AM
thanks for letting us know and keeping the rumors down. Good luck to the Trainz team.

backyard
December 13th, 2007, 02:58 AM
8) Gaming, is highly competitive, and after reviewing "Enemy Territory:Quake Wars," a throw in with my new graphics card, I have to say the genre is mostly about "venting.":hehe:

ie, developing your own psychosis to someone else's imagination...:eek:

However, the use of a new division of the business, is a smart move, which allows the Company to cut and run, from the loss!:D

That's why I enjoy Planet Auran...the Company is run by the best!:)

After viewing the Fury website, long since forgotten and found through G4TV's XPlay webpage, I can't understand why the project became a turkey.:(

But the game is there, for all the world to have...free.:p

Maybe I'll download it and try...but TC would come first!:udrool:

I know those artists will continue on Further...:mop:

Good Luck, and GodSpeed Auran,;)

G'day!:clap:

ColPrice2002
December 13th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Lance,

Thanks for the update.

Please pass on my best wishes to the ex-team - it always seems to happen just before Christmas and mucks up the season for poeple.

It seems a bit cynical to wish everyone a merry Christmas -let me just write that I'm thinking of them.

Colin

WileeCoyote
December 13th, 2007, 03:39 AM
At least Auran is smart enough a company to recognize whats they need to keep and what they don't really need to, I can't name many other game companies that do this.

WileeCoyote:D

Euphod
December 13th, 2007, 03:57 AM
So the mighty, massive multiplayer online role-playing game succumbs and the meek little hobby niche sim lives on? All sound and fury?

My sympathies to those who find their personal economies affected.

Ed

amigacooke
December 13th, 2007, 04:32 AM
This involves a number of the Trainz team being re-employed by Auran Holdings, the parent company.

Thanks for the news Lance. A carefully worded announcement, but I think it suggests a cut in numbers to the already small Trainz team.

A reality check that demonstrates that not every requested feature could, or should, be funded.

axe1970
December 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Sorry to here that Fury wasn't as successful as we all hoped.

I want only good things for Auran and it's employees.

Sincerely

Axe

ish6
December 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the news Lance, Indeed!:wave:

lornyk5
December 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM
These talented artists will no doubt find work, but it's sad to see near the holidays. My hope is that Trainz won't be dragged down with it, out of 25 games including Crysis, FSX and others, I'd miss Trainz the most. I will continue to purchase straight from Auran including TC3 as my small part in giving back!

Regards,

Lorin:)

johnwhelan
December 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I'm very pleased to hear that Trainz was not dragged down by Fury. I think in someways you need a mixture of products ones that bring in the bread and butter on a regular basis and ones such as Fury that have a shorter life cycle.

I sometimes muse if Trainz could be sold to a cooperative of users or to a new company that we could buy shares in directly.

Cheerio John

zatovisualworks
December 13th, 2007, 12:20 PM
My worries and sympathies for the crew, dismissed and hope soon working in the Holding.

Keep going, Brisbaners.

Alberte :wave:

Pencil42
December 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the news, Lance.
I'm terribly sorry to hear of the employees affected. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time.

Curtis

Drucifer
December 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Guess there are still not enough fast online connections for an online game to be a money maker.

slave-driver
December 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Unfortunatly that's the gamble that any gaming company takes when they take on a project. It's a gamble. Some times you win, somtimes you loss. It's unfortunate that this had to happen at this time of year. (I got layed off just before christmas once myself) Best wishes to all thoughs affected.

Bill

Vern
December 13th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Let's raise a glass to the continuation of Trainz though not forgetting the folks who have been made redundant.

There is a certain irony - and perhaps a moral for other developers - that a train sim product offering a world of creativity and non violent escapism and virtual tourism ultimately proved more popular and financially successful than a MMORPG. (A genre that is possibly somewhat over-rated?).

wazzer
December 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Auran Games has to loose staff working on their game environment "Fury"- See Lance's message in Announcements dated today

Stressfull time for management and employees.:(

Warwick H

seeseeme
December 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM
It is always said to here such news and especially so near to Christmas. Hopefully those effected though will be able to move on and enjoy there Christmas.

Reading all the post here I keeping thinking that some time ago there was an Auran post but I can not remember who it was. However in the post it was mentioned that Trainz was only just making money and most of Aurans profit came from other sources.

It would appear that Trainz is still very much respected by Auran to keep it and us going.

Craig
:):):)

atsfrr3000
December 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I'd say making an MMORPG of any type is a gamble these days. You're going to be competing with hundreds, even thousands, of the other cookie-cutter Korean MMORPG's out there, and you really need something fresh and innovative to gain an edge in the marketplace. Sadly, it would appear that Fury did not gain that edge.

smash
December 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
To paraphrase somebody

"Reports of Auran's Demise have been greatly exaggerated".

Lets hope that Auran can weather any financial problems and have great products and a brighter future.

Kenny.

And to all of those development team members let hope santa will be good to them and provide for them.

Lo_Poly
December 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Deepest condolences to those laid off. I hope they can find luck elsewhere in the industry. :)

Glad to hear Trainz is still chugging along.

Forest_Runner
December 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Here is the official comment from Auran CEO, Tony Hilliam:
As I explained to the staff yesterday, whilst FURY has started off slower than expected, I still see a bright and long future ahead. However, that future will not include the full 60 man development team who have worked on FURY for the past year. The future will focus on a smaller, more agile core team of Fury developers......as appeared on the Forums on Dec 10th.
Is the future of TRS/Trainz really secure??

big_b
December 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Just found this Dated today 10am

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Brisbane-game-developer-shuts-shop/0,339028227,339284557,00.htm

backyard
December 14th, 2007, 04:53 AM
8) I wish at least one newspaper in the United States of America, would carry anything like this, just to get Planet Auran Proprietary Ltd. into the daily news!

It might be better for all involved!

Crikey! What press! What exposure!

And all this, just from a pre-planned, routine game design schedule process!

You Go Aussies!

johnwhelan
December 14th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Hi everyone,

However, the future of Trainz is still looking good. Trainz is owned by Auran Games and the directors are committed to continuing the projects currently under development and ensuring that Trainz remains as the number one rail simulator in the world. This involves a number of the Trainz team being re-employed by Auran Holdings, the parent company.

Cheers,

Lance Jago
Community Relations Manager, Trainz

The impression I have is that Trainz is part of the assets of the company that went bankrupt and that it will be a couple of months before it becomes clear if it will be sold off or continued.

Cheerio John

amigacooke
December 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I sometimes muse if Trainz could be sold to a cooperative of users or to a new company that we could buy shares in directly.
Could you imagine the in-fighting if that happened?

Wessex_Electric_Nutter
December 14th, 2007, 05:18 AM
The impression I have is that Trainz is part of the assets of the company that went bankrupt and that it will be a couple of months before it becomes clear if it will be sold off or continued.

No, 2 different businesses, Auran Games is the main business, Auran Developments is a smaller business setup by Auran Games (as explained by Lost_Soul), I believe Trainz and Fury is owned by Auran Games and Auran Developments is just a company that provides a service for Auran, i.e. develop a program (Which isn't owned by Auran Developments, but Auran Games as per copyright law.).

Now, lets wait for an actual press release from Auran Games to see how their finances are doing, if they are doing badly, I would like to see Auran inform the community sooner rather than later, so that alternitive arrangements can be made to the continued development of the program. (Besides, if part of the program is still in development, e.g. content, it could be of more interest when someone starts up another company to own the copyright to the Trainz source code and thus continue developing the program.)

These are my thoughts though.

John_SB
December 14th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Here is another news story.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22923230-15306,00.html

backyard
December 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM
8) FURY (http://www.unleashthefury.com/) is alive and well, and will be for some time to come!

Offered as freeware now, it's inert. The team that created it, is gone. Hope they saved there pay, until they get hired, (after the first of the year on someone else's budget...)

Auran Trainz, is not affected...but zounds, the DLS seams to be doing well these dayz(it's about time!).

E-mail your local newspaper, or even some gaming software conglomerate, and ask them what's going on...the more publicity the better!

Remember, advertising, helps us Trainzers as well as the Company, as well as the Content Creators involved with FURY!

All the fury about the changes, may accomplish something for us all!

QR1408
December 14th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Auran provides a DLS Helpdesk and support for Trainz. I doubt that any other train sim will provide anywhere like that level of support. After experiences with MS Flight sim their new train sim will have the same level of support- just about zero. OK there are glitches with TRS that can get to be very frustrating and annoying, but from a route builders perspective TRS is the best. Let's hope that even buying a download ticket will help Trainz to keep rolling along.
Cheers Will

francis90km
December 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I think trainz classics was not a good hit as well! i thought the game was boring didn't offer much, in my opinion they should have created trainz classics as new routes for trainz 2006, because that's what seams to me when I play that game. Trainiz classic is really what? two more extra routes for trainz 2006 , nothing really new and exciting. I a'm still in love with trainz 2006! The sad part about is that I can't transfer those new trains from classic to trainz 2006! A shame! so I fear they didn't make as much money on that game as well. The proof when you go to the blog, 80% the trainz classics users complain, "It is slow, computer crashing, houses seating o the railroad, etc"... sucks! I hope Auran will do something about this game as well, otherwise they will shut down! It's an Unfortunate news, but the thruth!

paulhobbs
December 14th, 2007, 03:16 PM
The sad part about is that I can't transfer those new trains from classic to trainz 2006! A shame!
You can't, but I can. As could you if you did a search.

Paul

Sourdough
December 14th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think trainz classics was not a good hit as well! i thought the game was boring didn't offer much, in my opinion they should have created trainz classics as new routes for trainz 2006, because that's what seams to me when I play that game. Trainiz classic is really what? two more extra routes for trainz 2006 , nothing really new and exciting. I a'm still in love with trainz 2006! The sad part about is that I can't transfer those new trains from classic to trainz 2006! A shame! so I fear they didn't make as much money on that game as well. The proof when you go to the blog, 80% the trainz classics users complain, "It is slow, computer crashing, houses seating o the railroad, etc"... sucks! I hope Auran will do something about this game as well, otherwise they will shut down! It's an Unfortunate news, but the thruth!
Kinda reminds me of a guy I knew who never learned to read but still bought a book...he then heard about another book that was suppose to be better, bought it.....then complained because it wasn't any better than the first book....:cool:

Red_Rattler
December 15th, 2007, 12:09 AM
From http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/14810/Auran_Closes_Down_Fury_Trainz_Live_On.html

Auran Closes Down, Fury, Trainz Live On
13 December 2007

The company announces that all its staff have been laid off, but its games will be sticking around.

Tony Hilliam of Auran today issued a statement confirming that the Directors of Auran Development have called in a Voluntary Administrator and laid off all staff.

The statement goes on to clarify that staff will “be paid for all their work to date, their annual leave entitlements, redundancy payments and long service leave,” despite rumours to the contrary.

In addition, Hilliam revealed that the bulk of the Trainz – a popular rail simulator – team will continue to work on its current projects, which will be released sometime next year.

Furthermore, the Fury add-on pack entitled Age of the Chosen will still be launching on Friday. A “small but dedicated team” will also continue Fury development for the foreseeable future.

One of the links claimed (when attempting to access the Download Station) that due to "heavy loadings" parts of the site have been taken off-line. This seems to include the Download Station, so has the Download Station also been shut?

Euphod
December 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Has the Download Station also been shut?

I will take this opportunity to remind creative types everywhere that the TPR Download Depot will host your uploads while you retain possession of the same. Items uploaded there can also be sent to the Download Station. The Depot can provide a certain redundancy, if you will, and help to ensure availability of your work.

God forbid the DLS will not resume and endure, but it's always wise to have a backup.

Ed

Lo_Poly
December 15th, 2007, 12:26 AM
To clarify, Auran Developments went in to voluntary administration, however Auran Games (owner of TRS) is unaffected. I'm guessing Auran Games is a subdivision of Auran Developments that split off? What's the fate of the Download Station? Could you clarify a bit more Lance?

This has got me fairly worried.

AJ_Fox
December 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Come on guys get serious. :)

Cheers

AJ

Lo_Poly
December 15th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Cheers

AJ

I know Trainz and Fury will keep going, I'm just a bit confused here!

leeferr
December 15th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Cheers

AJ

I agree. Life goes on...at least it will for me although I can understand the various theories being expressed in the absense of more definitive and clarifying information. It doesn't help that it's the weekend. As the old saying goes...the first reports from the field are always the worst and tend to be overexagerated.

Red_Rattler
December 15th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I haven't brought any first class tickets (FCT), but I'm just curious & due to it being a weekend, it looks like the Download Station (DLS) wont be back until Monday at the earliest. So those that brought the FCTs, will they get extra days added on to their expiry date?

Barry
December 15th, 2007, 03:20 AM
To clarify, Auran Developments went in to voluntary administration, however Auran Games (owner of TRS) is unaffected. I'm guessing Auran Games is a subdivision of Auran Developments that split off? What's the fate of the Download Station? Could you clarify a bit more Lance?

This has got me fairly worried.

Page not found 404 at present on my computer.

Dosn't it usually have a note to say temporarily off-line or similar although can't say I use it much at present.

Red_Rattler
December 15th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Dosn't it usually have a note to say temporarily off-line or similar although can't say I use it much at present.Click on the left top image, and something similar note appears. But would heavy loads last a whole weekend?, and wont be "fixed" until at least Monday.

sterrett
December 15th, 2007, 06:25 AM
So, it's official! Auran Developments has put itself into Voluntary Receivership, so all our concerns were obviously well-founded!

Unfortunately, the first thing to be done was for the staff to be dismissed, with promises that any pay owed would be forthcoming together with any accrued annual leave etc.

For those employees, many of whom will have a family to support, the next few weeks will be a worrying time for them - I know, I was in the same position three times during the "glorious" Thatcher years!

So, if any of Auran's former employees are looking into the forum (and I doubt if you'll be able to stay away for long, as many of you were also Trainz enthusiasts!) then may I wish you the best of luck in finding another job that you like, quickly!

......and Thank You for the help and support you have provided since Trainz was just a little concept ten years ago (while some of us were toying with Mechanik and Boso View Express (BVE) ) with a free 3D render from the Auran site given us every now and again to keep us in suspense!

aardvark1
December 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Obviously, you have not read correctly, or understood, what Lance said in his post...which says..."This afternoon Auran Developments, the developer of Fury was placed into voluntary administration".

It does NOT say that Auran (the whole Company) is in...Voluntary Administration.

Please have all the facts that are published by Auran in front of you ( and try to understand these facts )...before making comments that turn this Community into a state of panic.

Ron

Drucifer
December 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Several years ago now, Railroad Simulator Professional (RSP) was a propose start over. Basically it was Trainz with improve 3D models and a whole new model database. It would NOT be backward compatible. If everything continues to crash around here, RSP maybe the way to go in order to revive Auran.

sterrett
December 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Sorry - I stand corrected!

To clarify, Auran Developments went in to voluntary administration, however Auran Games (owner of TRS) is unaffected.

My original post was only to wish those that lost their jobs the best of luck - and that still stands!

angelah
December 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Dear Lance and all at Auran,
I am so sorry to hear of this awful business and hope it sorts itself out for everybody 'down under'. You were kind enough to make a thread of mine a sticky in October when I needed help and support, something I was most grateful for, so my heart goes out to those that have lost employment, I hope they find alternative work very soon.

If all people posting here would be patient and wait until Lance knows more about the situation himself I am sure he will pass that info on just as soon as he can.
There are probably very many things to do and sort out at Auran and its subsiduaries and Lance's hands are most likely full.

So to the forum community, please be patient, making wild guesses isn't going to help anybody, least of all us.

In the meantime, run Trainz.... and enjoy this amazingly wonderful program.

Angela

mjolnir
December 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
To clarify, Auran Developments went in to voluntary administration, however Auran Games (owner of TRS) is unaffected. I'm guessing Auran Games is a subdivision of Auran Developments that split off?

I'm not Lance, but as I read the press releases, the sense I get is not quite what you write, rather Auran Games and Auran Developments were separate but (perhaps) related companies, or perhaps that Auran Developments was a subdivision of Auran Games.

ns

fixitdude74
December 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I only got the news this morning from my co-route builder, and i must say it has come as quite a shock, i hope for all the trainz fans and users that there current level of service doesn't drop, and most important that the Trainz Sim continues to grow and prosper.

paulzmay
December 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm not Lance, but as I read the press releases, the sense I get is not quite what you write, rather Auran Games and Auran Developments were separate but (perhaps) related companies, or perhaps that Auran Developments was a subdivision of Auran Games.

ns

The way I read Lance's original post is that Auran Developments and Auran Games are both subsidiaries of Auran Holdings, the parent group. I guess this kind of splitting up is a way of isolating the established business (Games) from the riskier new projects (Developments) should they fail. Lets all hope it's worked...

Best wishes to all at Auran in these troubled times....

Paul

johnwhelan
December 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=208640#post208640)

ns

The way I read Lance's original post is that Auran Developments and Auran Games are both subsidiaries of Auran Holdings, the parent group. I guess this kind of splitting up is a way of isolating the established business (Games) from the riskier new projects (Developments) should they fail. Lets all hope it's worked...

Best wishes to all at Auran in these troubled times....

Paul

It's the parent company that is in trouble. The hope is that Trainz can be kept going but it is part of the assets and it does depend on the creditors reaching an agreement or a fire sale.

Cheerio John

Mike10
December 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
It's the parent company that is in trouble.

I think you are wrong there John.

As I undersand it Auran Holdings is the umbrella company that owns Auran Developments and Auran Games.

Developments has gone down but Games and Holdings are holding up.

Mike.

ad602000
December 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM
seems to me that auran have played it safe in the structure of the company as stated previously auran development is in trouble but that should not give cause for concern over the rest of the group

Red_Rattler
December 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ill attempt to try & make it easier for the younger people - I hope!

It's only the parent company that is affected for example:
Say you & your parents are in two different houses, yet they paid for both of them since you are the one family. After a while, they move & leave their house vacant maybe due to changing jobs, possibly for someone else, yet you are still at that house & able to do the things that you usually do.

You in this case means the games, your parents in this case means Auran.

Sorry, but that's the best I can come up with

Magicland
December 16th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Ill attempt to try & make it easier for the younger people - I hope!

It's only the parent company that is affected for example:
Say you & your parents are in two different houses, yet they paid for both of them since you are the one family. After a while, they move & leave their house vacant maybe due to changing jobs, possibly for someone else, yet you are still at that house & able to do the things that you usually do.

You in this case means the games, your parents in this case means Auran.

Sorry, but that's the best I can come up with

And when they stop paying the mortgage on both houses, you're all out in the street. For the time being the small core Fury staff and the small core Trainz staff are still employed, however in a few months (what did that article say, 2?) that could all change. Of course, it could change for the better, but that's not the way to bet.

AJ_Fox
December 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM
LOL guys :)

Who needs facts when you have opinions right?

Cheers

AJ

jdenm8
December 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Hi all,
Auran deserves to keep going. Trainz is the best (On the bottom of the flap of the Classics box reads "no other train simulator comes close" which is the truth) and I like it more than MSTS.

The only other games I like similar amounts would be GTASA (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas), TS2 (The Sims 2) and NFS Carbon (Need For Speed).

Auran should have done a little advertising. Got their name out there.

My opinion.

PS. I have DLS. But I only live 40Km from Brisbane.

backyard
December 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM
8) I figure some people, just have to worry, over nothing.

Auran Games, Auran Developments, etc.(children), are wholly owned subsidiaries of Auran Proprietary Limited Liability Company(Parent).

Auran Pty. LLC.

The children, can be evicted, the Parents, will be around for a long, long time.

Driver_Col
December 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Kinda reminds me of a guy I knew who never learned to read but still bought a book...he then heard about another book that was suppose to be better, bought it.....then complained because it wasn't any better than the first book....:cool:

Love it! Catching up on the Trainz gossip and feeling rather depressed about the possibilities (especially with DLS down now), your response was a classic! Many thanks!

Colin.

sethmcs
December 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
If Voluntary Administration is similar to Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US then this whole complicated financial mess will be up to the Judge. That's the point. Auran will have to give up some control to the courts. In the US Chapter 11 company submits a turnround plan to the court for approval. Creditors are lined up in order of importance (credit position is determined by law) usually bankruptcy lawyers are first then taxes then employees then secured creditors and then unsecured creditors. The judge has the final say as to what plan is in the best interest of all involved. The judge can let the business continue to operate or order liquiation.:confused:

WCL
December 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM
So if the DLS don't work...Wonder how can the forums work?? :confused:

Lo_Poly
December 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
So if the DLS don't work...Wonder how can the forums work?? :confused:

Um... maybe two different servers? Or the fact that it clearly states "...Parts of the site have been taken offline..."?

:o

seeseeme
December 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Um... maybe two different servers? Or the fact that it clearly states "...Parts of the site have been taken offline..."?

:o
To my memory the DLS is on a server in the US and the forum is on a server in Brisbane.

Although it was some time that this was mentioned, things may have changed.

Craig
:):):)

jdenm8
December 16th, 2007, 05:38 PM
CMP doesn't seem to want to attempt to connect to the DLS, but FTP still works. You just have to be patient with the pages they are there for about ten minutes at a time with about five minutes down-time.

Dinorius_Redundicus
December 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but a podcast featuring one of the Fury programmers who lost his job last Thursday appeared at australiangamer.com over the weekend. If you want a glimpse of the human side of this event from an ex-Auran insider, it's an interesting download.

ish6
December 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Several years ago now, Railroad Simulator Professional (RSP) was a propose start over.

That's what I have been preaching around these parks for a long while now ...

But Auran went the module way ... I see myself slowly pulling away and leaving trainz behind ...

However, if they ever revisit RSP it would be a refreshing start, for sure!!!

Ish

AHSAN
December 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Did Lance get fired?

TS

Hello

No he did not, Auran Developments has nothing to do with Trainz, Trainz is owned by Auran Games.

Please read this thread from the start before you post.

Read Lance's Post, link Here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=19706

Regards

Ahsan
North American Trainz Team (http://www.freewebs.com/northamericantrainz/index.htm)

mrscsi
December 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
So, it's official! Auran Developments has put itself into Voluntary Receivership, so all our concerns were obviously well-founded!

Unfortunately, the first thing to be done was for the staff to be dismissed, with promises that any pay owed would be forthcoming together with any accrued annual leave etc.

For those employees, many of whom will have a family to support, the next few weeks will be a worrying time for them - I know, I was in the same position three times during the "glorious" Thatcher years!

So, if any of Auran's former employees are looking into the forum (and I doubt if you'll be able to stay away for long, as many of you were also Trainz enthusiasts!) then may I wish you the best of luck in finding another job that you like, quickly!

......and Thank You for the help and support you have provided since Trainz was just a little concept ten years ago (while some of us were toying with Mechanik and Boso View Express (BVE) ) with a free 3D render from the Auran site given us every now and again to keep us in suspense!
I had no idea, so many Trainz users were also bankruptcy attorneys:D

trw1089
December 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Actually Ahsan, if you read the statement properly, ALL employees were sacked, so yes, Lance did lose his job, as did all the Trainz team, however some were to be rehired to continue with TC3. Hopefully someone at Auran Games will make a proper announcement shortly (time to step up to the plate Mr Hilliam...)

Cheers
Tony

AHSAN
December 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Actually Ahsan, if you read the statement properly, ALL employees were sacked, so yes, Lance did lose his job, as did all the Trainz team, however some were to be rehired to continue with TC3. Hopefully someone at Auran Games will make a proper announcement shortly (time to step up to the plate Mr Hilliam...)

Cheers
Tony

Hello

All employees(Fury) of Auran Development not Auran Games.

Regards

Ahsan
North American Trainz Team (http://www.freewebs.com/northamericantrainz/index.htm)

AHSAN
December 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Cheers
Tony

Hello

Yes I did read it properly and I don't want to say no more on this, I'll leave it to Auran to make another statement on this.

Looks like Auran Christmas holidays are approaching this week

Regards

Ahsan:)

slave-driver
December 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
There goes everyone getting their exersize again. JUMPING to conclusions, RUNNING over at the mouth. Wait untill Auran makes an announcment. Then the answers they feel is necessary will be given.

Bill

AHSAN
December 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hello

DLS and 06 website are back online at 21.50 GMT

edit : back down again 22:15 GMT

Regards

Ahsan:D

slave-driver
December 17th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Why do my posts vanish? Does this happen alot here?

TS
The mods here have been known to get carryed away at times. but they usually have a good reason for doing so. But that's my opinion.

Bill

Smileyman
December 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
There are many people still saying that not all of Auran are in danger, and that the Trainz franchise is safe.

I have a few things to say about this:

1) To quote a news report linked to earlier:

"A company insider confirmed that administrators have taken over Auran Development, the parent company of all Auran companies including publishing arm Auran Games."

The future of Trainz will be decided in the coming weeks by the administrators and Auran. Tony is saying what any CEO would say in this situation. What else would you expect him to say?

2) I was hoping that when all this "Trainz Classics" nonsense was over with, we would get a real successor to TRS2006, but this doesn't look like it's going to happen now. But now, more importantly ------>

3) I don't really care about a new game that I can play on my computer, or the level of support I can get for the current version. It's not real life. Those people who have lost their jobs suddenly, and right on top of Christmas, are the only worry any of us should really have.

4) If the reports are to be believed (and they may come with a pinch of salt), Tony Hilliam is said to be moving on too, so it may not be his call to make.

It's really sad to see this happen to Auran.
The signs were there a long time ago, and some of us pointed them out at the time, but it's still not what any of us wanted.

Hindsight would tell them that investing a sizable amount of that $15 million into the Trainz franchise would have been a better bet, with a much more stable community to sell the product to at the end of it (compared to the already over-crowded online role-playing market).

Trainz definitely took a back seat when Auran started working on Fury.
That was evident in many ways.
They would have been better off sticking with a genre that they had a foot-hold in, and pushed forward with that instead (much like Greg's original RSP vision).

I just hope that they can salvage something so that the remaining staff keep their jobs.

Fearing the worst, but hoping for the best,
Smiley.

Mike10
December 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
1) To quote a news report linked to earlier:

"A company insider confirmed that administrators have taken over Auran Development, the parent company of all Auran companies including publishing arm Auran Games."

I would say that as that was the only one that said that (that I've seen) there's a good chance they got it wrong. Not that unusual in journalism, especially Internet journalism.

If Classics is the means to keep Trainz going I'd argue against it being nonsense personally.

I can't argue with the comments about investing all that money in another MMORPG type game though.

Mike.

AJ_Fox
December 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Well look at it this way all, you're still here and the forum is still here and the Download Station is still here and the Trainz Chat is still here and I'm still here. Enjoy and Happy Holidays to all. :)

Cheers

AJ

Lo_Poly
December 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Well look at it this way all, you're still here and the forum is still here and the Download Station is still here and the Trainz Chat is still here and I'm still here. Enjoy and Happy Holidays to all. :)

Cheers

AJ

Happy holidays to you too.

And yeah, we should stop butting into Auran's business (and butting our heads as a result).

Maybe the best resolution would be to lock this thread. :wave:

AJ_Fox
December 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Well said Lo_Poly and good advice to our fellow Trainzers. I'm not prepared to lock this thread with the hope that it will turn back to the positive constructive posts that this community is known for.

Cheers

AJ

Magicland
December 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM
From the horse's mouth (not the other end, as many sunshine-blowers seem to want to quote):

Hi everyone,

Is there any part of "This involves a number of the Trainz team being re-employed by Auran Holdings" that doesn't make sense? To be re-employed, one has to be UN-EMPLOYED. Hence, when Auran developments went down, which Auran Games was a subsidiary of, it took Trainz with it. Auran Holdings, the parent company, re-hired some members of the Trainz team to enable continued development. In the short term, this is a good thing, as Lance says, because the forums, DLS, etc. will stay up and running (or up and down and up and running, as the case may be). What this will mean for Trainz and the Trainz community in the long run remains to be seen.

Well, that didn't take long. Seems that Lance wasn't one of those "re-employed", and he'll be out pounding the pavement looking for work come Christmas Day. Hope Ebeneezer Hilliam has a good night's sleep...

trw1089
December 18th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks Magicland, at least someone has read the post properly.

As has been mentioned in Motorman's thread in the community section, Lance was not rehired, along with Rob and Alan also. However, there is still a small team left to keep going with TC3 so all is not lost, but it is certainly not a rosy picture by a very long way.

Lance is a very good personal friend, as is Rob, and I was devasted to hear how they have been treated, but when the company's back is against the wall, tough decisions have to be made I suppose. I still don't like it at all though.

While we can rant and rave all we like in these forums about the qualities of the software and the business models Auran has run under, a business is still a business, and we should just be thankful that unlike any other rail simulator on the market, we have been able to enjoy, rant, curse and play with numerous versions of the product in an environment actively fostered and supported by the developer.

Whether that will continue into the future remains to be seen, but whatever happens, I have been very, very appreciative of the time, patience and effort given by Lance, Rob and others to keep the Trainz series alive and only hope that they can quickly find new jobs with a company who will truly appreciate that dedication.

Here's to you gents!

Tony

AJ_Fox
December 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Tony

Like you said keep on keeping on. :)

Cheers

AJ

ish6
December 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Alan is gone too?! I knew him via these forums for years, and found him to be one of the most dedicated trainz person around!!

Wish him all the best, along with Lance and Rob in finding new opportunities elsewhere!!

Ish.

jdenm8
December 18th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Lance and Alan gone!
I give everyone who was let go my absolute best wishes and hope they all find new work.

S301
December 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Man, this is sad news :(

Best of luck to Lance, Rob, and Alan. I hope they all find new jobs soon.
Good luck guys, and to anyone else who wasn't rehired by Auran.

Sad day indeed. But as has been said before, all we can do is look forward, and do our best to make Trainz as enjoyable as possible :)
Zec

Willem2
December 18th, 2007, 02:41 AM
As has been mentioned in Motorman's thread in the community section, Lance was not rehired, along with Rob and Alan also. However, there is still a small team left to keep going with TC3 so all is not lost, but it is certainly not a rosy picture by a very long way.

Lance is a very good personal friend, as is Rob, and I was devasted to hear how they have been treated, but when the company's back is against the wall, tough decisions have to be made I suppose. I still don't like it at all though.
Tony part quote,

My sentiments exactly, I was only aware of Lance's position because I was talking to him this mornig, in my reply to Motorman's thread.

Still wishing every one the best for their future.

Bill.

Electro
December 18th, 2007, 02:49 AM
:'( :'(

I am not happy to hear that Lance Alan and Rob are not there

But best of luck to Lance Rob and Alan and thier famliys over Xmass

Best wishes guys hope everything works out

:'( :'(

E

Alex23
December 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
To Rob, Lance and Alan,

I would like to add my best wishes to those already expressed.

I only had the opportunity to speek with you on only a few occasions. (Far to few).

Rob,

Thankyou for your kindness, generosity and interest in the projects that I have been involved with in connection with Trainz.

Alan and Lance,

As the public face of Trainz, it was always a pleasure to contact and speek with you on various matters. I will very much miss speeking with you.

Plus guy's, also missed will be your informative and interesting contributions too this forum.

All the best for the future guy's.

And I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous 2008.

Alex ... aka ... Alex23

Zorronov
December 18th, 2007, 03:16 AM
It's very sad to see people who have been so helpful and supportive of the Trainz community losing their livelihoods...especially at Christmas time. At the risk of sounding cliched, whenever something has fallen apart for me, it ended by opening new possibilities. So hang tuff and good luck mates!

Fred

AmtrakP42
December 18th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Best of luck to the Auran Staff. I was looking for jobs when I read this news. Hang in there guys!

Euphod
December 18th, 2007, 03:33 AM
It's tough to be at the bottom or middle of a reorganization. My company recently reorganized, and I was fortunate enough to come through it with a position. Many were not so lucky. Some were luckier than I and were promoted from the depths of the flow chart to the heights of middle management, with no obvious qualifications.
You just can't second guess big business....you would like to believe the decisions are based on fair reasoning, but mostly they are based on money, money, money. Even then it often doesn't make sense to those outside the boardroom.
It doesn't matter what any of us thought of Rob, Lance and Alan when some big shot's Ouija board picked their names.

My hopes for those that suddenly find themselves unemployed, I don't think there are many circumstances quite as stressful.
Ed

amigacooke
December 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM
My sympathies to Lance and Alan.

Hmmm does this mean that the Helpdesk is helpless?

amigacooke
December 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I had no idea, so many Trainz users were also bankruptcy attorneys:D

I agree, it's surprising the number of people who have expertise in all sorts of fields. :)

Wessex_Electric_Nutter
December 18th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Happy holidays to you too.

And yeah, we should stop butting into Auran's business (and butting our heads as a result).

Maybe the best resolution would be to lock this thread. :wave:

Lo_Poly, I agree with you, totally. We shouldn't butt in, unless it directly affects us and how we will be able to continue to develop content in the future.

The other thing is that the community, which I thought would club together and help Auran, seems to be drifting apart from each other (from my perspective). Yes, I know, Auran released a game they thought would be the best thing since sliced bread, then ended up being the opposite, but this sort of thing is a risky business.

You also want to get the game out during the time of year that you would make the most money... guess what time of year that is guys?
So yes, Auran didn't make the best decision, they thought they had it nailed, but were too far away, yes they have a deadicated team they had to downsize, but in the end, they have to claw back what they got and try to keep the company afloat for as long as possible. (And sales of games ain't going to quite cut it for some time yet.)

Now, if we are really are dedicated to see Trainz (And I think Tony Hillian(Sp?) is going to hate me for this) and Fury continue, or just even one of them, I think donations are the best way. If we all paid a small amount, like $15 each, multiplied by 150,000 or so (rough estimate), then Auran on that amount could continue their developments, sort their high and low priority debts and even rehire some of the faces we know for a month. And if I am honest, this is what I think the community should be doing. Besides, Auran created the program.....!

Those are my thoughts.

Zorronov
December 18th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Well, this is a bad situation, for sure. I don't think that any amount of grinding and gnashing of teeth is going to help. Furthermore, I don't think Auran has a lot to say in the matter. It looks like its up to the administrators and creditors at this point. I am not a lawyer, least of all an Australian one, so I haven't the slightest notion of where this is going. I do know, however, that, as contentious as we can be at times, the Trainz community has a strong common interest in the continueing development of this sim. Personally, I'm still having fun with Trainz and don't intend to stop now. Heck, I just got my copy of the Gmax Bible in the mail today!

Fred

amigacooke
December 18th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Now, if we are really are dedicated to see Trainz (And I think Tony Hillian(Sp?) is going to hate me for this) and Fury continue, or just even one of them, I think donations are the best way. If we all paid a small amount, like $15 each, multiplied by 150,000 or so (rough estimate), then Auran on that amount could continue their developments, sort their high and low priority debts and even rehire some of the faces we know for a month. And if I am honest, this is what I think the community should be doing. Besides, Auran created the program.....!

Auran are not a charity and have never really acted like one, so I will not be making a donation. However, I am very interested in TC3 which I will happily buy.

LocoGold
December 18th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Hi, While I don't often post here, I do look to see what is going on in The Main Trainz forums from time to time.

I'm saddend to read of Auran's bad fortunes with FURY, and of the loss of 3 well resepected members of the "Trainz Team" Rob, Lance, Alan, I wish them the best, and hope they find new jobs quickly.

I also wish the other Auranites who have lost their jobs the best, and that they too quickly find new jobs :wave:

Why is it that a lot of companies always seem to fail just before chistmas :'(

Best Wishes to all now Ex-Auranites,
Wayne.

johnwhelan
December 18th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Lo_Poly, I agree with you, totally. We shouldn't butt in, unless it directly affects us and how we will be able to continue to develop content in the future.

The other thing is that the community, which I thought would club together and help Auran, seems to be drifting apart from each other (from my perspective). Yes, I know, Auran released a game they thought would be the best thing since sliced bread, then ended up being the opposite, but this sort of thing is a risky business.

Those are my thoughts.

You are talking $2,225,000 here realistically Trainz could probably be purchased out right for that sort of money at the moment which would give us stability, and control.

Cheerio John

big_b
December 18th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Just like to say good luck in the future to Lance, Alan,Rob & the others who have lost their jobs.

As usual the troops are sacrificed while the generals can plan their next great campaign.

I remember when Henk left looking for new opportunities the place never quite got over that.Thats when things began to change around here & I don't think it's ever been quite the same since.The whole company attitude seemed to change.

Dave

leeferr
December 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'm really sad to see Lance and Alan gone. Trainz just won't be the same without them. As other posters have said, this is a business and although I have no legal ownership in the company, as a content creator, I feel that I have some pride ownership in the company. I'm concerned about what happens to the DLS and the content on the DLS if the administrators decide to sell or close Trainz. I know that there are those that will say that I'm crying 'the sky is falling', but the purchase or dissapearance of this forum and the DLS is a real possibility.

Magicland
December 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Okay, so what'll it take to purchase the rights to Trainz? Auran's back is to the wall, and it's a buyer's market, so we should be able to get a good deal (or just wait around and buy it at the fire sale). Tony? Name me a number and let's talk...

Lo_Poly
December 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Okay, so what'll it take to purchase the rights to Trainz? Auran's back is to the wall, and it's a buyer's market, so we should be able to get a good deal (or just wait around and buy it at the fire sale). Tony? Name me a number and let's talk...

You must have a lot of money... :confused: Good idea though.

Just under any circumstances do not let EA get ahold of Auran. You know what I mean!

johnwhelan
December 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM

And I think this is quite a sensible appproach.

Cheerio John

slave-driver
December 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM
It might be the only way to save Trainz and the Trainz related items. We'l know for sure when the board is done meating and has come to some conclusion of what they want to do.

Bill

Barry
December 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I have lost track of what's going on now as regards Trainz.

I don't mean the company names and who runs what, which I no longer understand anyway, but the actual "people" who will control the direction of Trainz.

Barry

slave-driver
December 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I think we are in the dark as much as you untill someone from Auran come forward and informs us what's happening and whos incharge of what.

Bill

PerRock
December 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen anything saying that Lance, and Alan have been laid off. why are trainzers so big into jumping to conclusions. yes it said that some of the team has been re-hired. but no specifics.

peter

leeferr
December 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
And I think this is quite a sensible appproach.

Cheerio John

It is a very sensible approach. This could be a great opportunity for someone who has the funds and the expertise to pull it off. Obviously not me.

slave-driver
December 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Everyone is jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. It's like they are trying to rebuild a dinosaur from only 1 tooth and not having any idea what the animal realy looked like. Like I said "we are in the dark ... untill someone from Auran come forward and informs us what's happening and whos incharge of what." In the mean time everyone will continue to speculate untill the cows come home. Are the cows home yet?

Bill

Wessex_Electric_Nutter
December 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM

I think that could be the worst idea to date, if a single user or someone on behalf of all the users here purchases the source to TRS, then I don't think that would be sensible for a number of reasons.

The person may have no idea about programming, but all offers to program the program may fail.
The person may block progress for the program in general
the person who owns the program may add any other license description to the EULA (End User License Agreement), like "All content created for the program automatically becomes property of the program owner." - Think Kuju guys.
The person may want as much money as possible, so charges a price which is unrealistically unfair.
The person could bully the rest of us with the program
The person maybe corrupt for all we know.
Some members of the community may have a prejudice against members of the community, which could lead to fall outs and the community going into disrepair.I am not applying that to anyone as of yet, as I have not seen anything like that from the members suggesting the rights to be sold, but this is a worst case scenario and the only way to prevent it, is that Auran have a written contract between the individual that is buying the entire source to the sim. Preferably, if someone was to buy the source, I would personally much love them to publish the entire lot (program, progress, etc) under the GNU/GPL license. That means everything needs to be downloadable (all the source files), distributed free for all to modify and free to use. The same license that Linux uses. (Otherwise known as Open Source Software). In theory, this would bring a community together, rather than divide it.

(Those who want to read more, please look at this link: http://www.gnu.org/ . Its not about brainwashing, its not about forcing those to do it, all I am suggesting this sort of license, is a choice.)

By the way, a community is rather fragile, so, you have to be careful of that, hence why individual purchasing is not always a good idea.

leeferr
December 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure that anyone suggested that an individual should buy it if it becomes available. Then again, Trainz owned by an individual may be better than no Trainz at all.

sura
December 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Good evening,

as i read the first message from Lance i became quiet. But then i jumped to this last page, and began worrying again. I read myself carefully through all pages (8 to date) because i thought Lance had an another message somewhere. But there is no other message. Then, my friends, this is a nice example how half-informations and news may and will distort if noone takes time for reading all messages.

I think the message of Lance is clear. I am quiet again.

Cheers:

johnwhelan
December 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Preferably, if someone was to buy the source, I would personally much love them to publish the entire lot (program, progress, etc) under the GNU/GPL license. That means everything needs to be downloadable (all the source files), distributed free for all to modify and free to use. The same license that Linux uses. (Otherwise known as Open Source Software). In theory, this would bring a community together, rather than divide it.

(Those who want to read more, please look at this link: http://www.gnu.org/ . Its not about brainwashing, its not about forcing those to do it, all I am suggesting this sort of license, is a choice.)

By the way, a community is rather fragile, so, you have to be careful of that, hence why individual purchasing is not always a good idea.

You've made an assumption that the purchaser would be one person. This is only one possible solution. Another is collectively we purchase and do a gnu on it, a third we set up a company / coop that purchases it from Auran. We employ people to run the company / coop. Programming could be subcontracted to China / Indian if need be since there may not be any programmers left who know enough about the code.

The plus side would be that we should have stability and the organisation would not get distracted by other projects.

Whether it is doable or not depends on the price and how much knowledge in programmers and documentation is left. It may not be worth doing anything other than continue the existing DLS, forums and making existing software available.

Cheerio John

Wessex_Electric_Nutter
December 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Whether it is doable or not depends on the price and how much knowledge in programmers and documentation is left. It may not be worth doing anything other than continue the existing DLS, forums and making existing software available.

True, I was assuming one person. esp one person claiming to be on our behalf, but preferbly, it would be nice if Auran do go down, to GNU it. As for programming, I suppose there is one reason why I am intending to go to University next year, I was thinking of joining the Auran crew (if they let me) at one point.

And yes, very good point about the documentation. I was going to mention it, but I forgot as every other idea came out, that documentation may severely lack, especially if it becomes community based. The flow charts, JSDs, Pesudo codes and descriptions... I wonder if they would exist? (Documentation has to really be included, for the program to be of any use.)

teddytoot
December 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
As I understand it from non-gamer sites, the Administrator will meet with creditors early in January when they will decide whether to restructure the company or put it into liquidation. So until then there seems little point in idle speculation. Either the company will survive in a much reduced form or the assets will be sold off to the highest bidder (EA?)

AHSAN
December 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Hello

It's sad to hear Alan, Lance and Rob are gone, I miss you guys:'( :'( :'(

Not a post from Alan, Lance and Rob since last Friday.:'( :'( :'(

Alan Yeoman's has not been on the forum since yesterday.

best of luck.

Is Tony Hilliam Gone too?

Greg Lane the founder of Trainz should come forward and read this thread.

A real sad day for me, the future of Trainz is uncertain now.

Regards

Ahsan:(

AHSAN
December 18th, 2007, 04:27 PM
http://www.smartofficenews.com.au/Technology/Industry/E9X5S2L7

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22923230-15306,00.html

quote from one of the articles:

Mr Hilliem said some staff will form the core of a new development studio, which will be run by another Australian gaming company, but overall he expects that over 50 workers would receive redundancy entitlements.

He said a core team would be retained to continue developing Fury and also rail simulator, Trainz.

On a brighter note, Auran has attracted $US3 million in funding from China's CDC Games, and Mr Hilliem will be visiting its headquarters early next year to negotiate co-development deals to distribute Fury. On a brighter note, Auran has attracted $US3 million in funding from China's CDC Games, and Mr Hilliem will be visiting its headquarters early next year to negotiate co-development deals to distribute Fury.

"This will enable the cash flow to fund the business, and I expect that within two years Auran will be back to its current size, but this time be hugely profitable."

sethmcs
December 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
ONE of Australia's biggest computer game developers, Auran Development, was placed into voluntary administration yesterday, despite recently securing multi-million dollar investments from the National Australia Bank and the federal Government.
The decision was made after poorer than expected sales of its online multi player game, Fury, which Auran has spent $15 million developing over the past three years.

In October, the NAB made a "seven-figure investment" to help market Fury internationally. The funding came after Auran secured $2 million in funding from the federal government's credit agency, the Export Finance and Insurance Corporation (EFIC).

Chief executive Tony Hilliem couldn't discuss whether the funding had been spent and said he would meet with both parties in the near future to discuss future arrangements.

NAB and EFIC could not be reached for comment.

Around 80 per cent of Auran (http://www.auran.com/) employees have lost their jobs.

Auran employed 70 staff, and between 15 and 20 people, including Mr Hilliem, are set to join Fury's licensee N3VR41L Publishing.

Mr Hilliem said some staff will form the core of a new development studio, which will be run by another Australian gaming company, but overall he expects that over 50 workers would receive redundancy entitlements.

He said a core team would be retained to continue developing Fury and also rail simulator, Trainz.

While Auran has sold 110,000 copies of the game globally, it was hoping to have double the sales by this stage, Mr Hilliem said, adding that "in hindsight, we got the pricing wrong".
"The sales in Australia met expectations but this wasn't the case for the rest of the world," he said.
Fury retails for approximately $50.

On a brighter note, Auran has attracted $US3 million in funding from China's CDC Games, and Mr Hilliem will be visiting its headquarters early next year to negotiate co-development deals to distribute Fury.

"This will enable the cash flow to fund the business, and I expect that within two years Auran will be back to its current size, but this time be hugely profitable."

ish6
December 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Interesting read sethmcs!!!

Ish

big_b
December 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Found this

Dave

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/12/ex-auran-develo.html

trw1089
December 18th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I haven't seen anything saying that Lance, and Alan have been laid off. why are trainzers so big into jumping to conclusions. yes it said that some of the team has been re-hired. but no specifics.

peter

Trust me PerRock, they have lost their jobs, Aidan is now the producer, with James (Bloodnok) and Megan rounding out the trainz team. There is no helpdesk for the time being (people are being referred to here), but I believe the forum and DLS are safe for the moment. They are still focussed on TC3, but what happens from there, no-one knows or is saying.

This is not conjecture, this is directly from those who used to work there.

Cheers
Tony

AJ_Fox
December 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM
This forum is probably the biggest Helpdesk around. :)

Cheers

AJ

zatovisualworks
December 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Trust me PerRock, they have lost their jobs, Aidan is now the producer, with James (Bloodnok) and Megan rounding out the trainz team. There is no helpdesk for the time being (people are being referred to here), but I believe the forum and DLS are safe for the moment. They are still focussed on TC3, but what happens from there, no-one knows or is saying.

This is not conjecture, this is directly from those who used to work there.

Cheers
Tony

Thank you, Tony, for your info. I have no doubt you have direct touch with our friends (who used to work here ;)).

I had just asked for this info on this other thread related to this 'nobody's land' situation...

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=210310&postcount=65

Take care,

Alberte :wave:

zatovisualworks
December 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
;) Somewhat relaxing quietening official words from Aidan here --> http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=210327&postcount=67

Go and read, please.

:wave:

jivebunny
December 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I was just about to link to that post :)

Certainly good news for Trainz, and it has clarified a lot of the speculation that was going on. It's very sad to see that Lance and Alan have been made redundant, particularly at this time of year. I can't imagine how low they are going to be feeling over Christmas and can only wish them the best.

I can't believe some of what I've read on the USLW forum, it's absolutely sickening to think there are people with such callous views in the world, let alone within our community. For a person to wish for someone else to end up jobless and on the streets over Christmas is not only cold but it's downright SAD when you think it's all because of a game. Makes you wonder how much time these people must spend in front of their computers to be so disconnected from reality. I have actually cancelled my account at USLW and would suggest others do the same in support of Auran, and more importantly in support of the brew crew.

On the plus side (as hard as it is to see a plus side in a situation like this) it is good to see that Rob will be back on board, and I'm relieved that bloodnok (James) still has his job, as being made redundant by a company you've moved halfway across the world to work for would be even more of a kick in the teeth than usual.

Here's hoping things will sort themselves out.

JB

Originalwelshborder
December 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Aiden

If you read this, are you able to give any information on the position of Greg Lane, (mentioned a few posts back) who the longer serving customers here have a great regard for?

The info you have now give us is very helpful, and seems to change the picture we got from Tony Hilliam's post (though the news from other Australian sites gave some forewarning of the current state of affairs).
Obviously it's a very fluid situation and will constantly change (as a 60 year old professional accountant I am only too aware of the predicament you are all in).

I don't imagine that Trainz actually produces much real ongoing income for Auran so I hope you and you colleagues can hang in and keep up what must inevitably a very limited level of support in this difficult time.

There is a customer base out here second to none that is much more than just a commercial relationship, which I hope my Australian counterparts recognise?

steamrodder
December 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I just want you to know that I really appeciate the Trainz simulator Programs very much and a Company
that backs their product. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! Thank you and happy holidays form Quincy Wa. USA.
I'm also saddend to here that employees had to be let go at this time of year ( I know what it feels like!) MY hats off to them. I hope they will be employed soon.

JCitron
December 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I would like to wish Lance, Alan, well and good luck in the upcoming year.

Hopefully things will settle down, and Lance maybe rehired again by Auran Games. I've been through this mess a couple of times, and it is really bone jarring especially at this time of year. This last round of cuts pared my company down to 12 people from 30!

John

ish6
December 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
;) Somewhat relaxing quietening official words from Aidan here --> http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=210327&postcount=67

Go and read, please.

:wave:

I agreed with your statement there Alberte!!
Thanks for the heads-up on the link!!

One thing that came to mind was the DLS, but with what I just read maybe trainz, the community, the DLS ... still have a lifeline attached!

Ish

Red_Rattler
December 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM
IOne thing that came to mind was the DLS, but with what I just read maybe trainz, the community, the DLS ... still have a lifeline attached!Yikes, another person posted what I was about to post about.

Yes, what about the download station (DLS) & checking the uploads to the DLS?

comtrain
December 19th, 2007, 01:15 AM
There are many people still saying that not all of Auran are in danger, and that the Trainz franchise is safe.

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>

They would have been better off sticking with a genre that they had a foot-hold in, and pushed forward with that instead (much like Greg's original RSP vision).

I just hope that they can salvage something so that the remaining staff keep their jobs.

Fearing the worst, but hoping for the best,
Smiley.

Thanks Smiley
I read it the same way too!
May I also pass my sincerest thanks to all of the workers at Auran for the hours of fun that you have provided me and my friends with. For helping me meet some of the nicest people in the Trainz Community. Despite my run ins over the years with Auran management, I also thank you for developing this sim as far as you have.
Good people are always in demand. Believe in yourselves and know that you will be soon employed once again. Now put it all behind you, have a happy Christmas and the best will be waiting for you in 2008, of this I am certain.
My biggest regret? now we will never get to run it on line. That was the mistake Auran made, probably less than a million lost on Fury could have brought Greg's Professional Trainz into being and put it on line! Damn!!
But Cheers Anyway:D
Rod

AJ_Fox
December 19th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Hey all

Basically what you see is what you get. Remember it's the hols and maybe with the new year things will all come together as you want it.

Cheers and Happy Holidays :)

AJ

slave-driver
December 19th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed on that.

Bill

comtrain
December 19th, 2007, 01:53 AM

You also want to get the game out during the time of year that you would make the most money... guess what time of year that is guys?
So yes, Auran didn't make the best decision, they thought they had it nailed, but were too far away, yes they have a deadicated team they had to downsize, but in the end, they have to claw back what they got and try to keep the company afloat for as long as possible. (And sales of games ain't going to quite cut it for some time yet.)

Those are my thoughts.

Mate
not really the time, as the accountants would never let your donations do much good. However in a few months time when the dust settles, I am sure, if Trainz survives, we can all go out and spend some dollars to fill up the cookie jar once more :D
I had no idea it was this close, but I went and bought a few routes last week, stuff I had already downloaded, but I guess it will help with the redundancies
Rod

TORANA
December 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
This forum is probably the biggest Helpdesk around. :)

Cheers

AJ

That's the best quote i've read for days,

Torana:)

Welcome to the New team from me.

comtrain
December 19th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Hey all

Basically what you see is what you get. Remember it's the hols and maybe with the new year things will all come together as you want it.

Cheers and Happy Holidays :)

AJ

Yeah, Cheers AJ!
I guess you know what I want for Christmas :hehe:
But you don't much look like Santa to me :D
Cheers
Rod

AJ_Fox
December 19th, 2007, 02:47 AM
You haven't seen my reindeer. :) They get 20 klicks to the litre.

Cheers

AJ

amigacooke
December 19th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Hi All,

This is a dark time for Auran, we have had to down size in all aspects of the company. Trainz is still going ahead the current Team is Me (Aidan) Lead Programmer/Co-producer, James Moody Programmer/Community Manager, Megan Berry 2D/3D Artist. Rob will be back very soon we hope too.

Trainz is going to continue to keep going ahead and it is very sad to see these people go, but it was a decision that had to be made for the sake of the project. Trainz IP is held but Auran Games and this is a profitable company!!! Auran Developments which is a separate company is the company that when into adminstration this company hired all the staff, hence why they were all fired. Thus the Trainz IP as well as all the products related to Trainz are still owned by Auran (ITrainz, DLS, Source Code and Art source).

I see so, so the part of Auran that owns Trainz has not gone into administration or am I reading this incorrectly?

Capt_Scarlet
December 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I see so, so the part of Auran that owns Trainz has not gone into administration or am I reading this incorrectly?

Thats correct. Auran Developments which among other things employed all the staff was the entity to go into administration.

John

big_b
December 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Have a read
Fury: Interview with Tony Hilliam and Adam Carpenter
Dave
http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/2736-Fury-Exclusive-Interview-with-Tony-Hilliam-and-Adam-Carpenter

Barry
December 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Have a read
Fury: Interview with Tony Hilliam and Adam Carpenter
Dave
http://www.warcry.com/articles/view/interviews/2736-Fury-Exclusive-Interview-with-Tony-Hilliam-and-Adam-Carpenter

Sounds like a yukky "game", anyway to me.
Couldn't care less if it does well or not.

Barry

atsfrr3000
December 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM
It was yet another cookie-cutter MMORPG, with lots of money thrown behind it, that flopped. Certainly nothing we haven't seen before.

amigacooke
December 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM
I'm afraid my only interest in Fury is that it isn't the cause of the demise of development of Trainz by Auran.

JCitron
December 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
I'm afraid my only interest in Fury is that it isn't the cause of the demise of development of Trainz by Auran.

That's the way I look at it too. Imagine what kind of program Trainz could have become if that money was put towards that product instead.

Over the years, I've discovered that every business makes an error in judgement. It's just that some businesses are able to recover better than others. Let's home that Auran is one of the latter cases.

John

Paulsw2
December 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM
You've made an assumption that the purchaser would be one person. This is only one possible solution. Another is collectively we purchase and do a gnu on it, a third we set up a company / coop that purchases it from Auran. We employ people to run the company / coop. Programming could be subcontracted to China / Indian if need be since there may not be any programmers left who know enough about the code.

The plus side would be that we should have stability and the organisation would not get distracted by other projects.

Cheerio John
I'm with John on this. We ought to be prepared for the worst, ie. liquidation, and see if we can organise a community buy-out of the game in order to ensure its future beyond TC3.

Of course, with luck, liquidation of the company will not happen in January and the Auran Trainz team (all three of them) will be able to continue servicing the DLS, forums and undertaking any further development of the game.

However, if liquidation does happen in January, then the community needs to start organising itself now if there is to be any chance of taking ownership of the game, and the DLS, in the Auran firesale that will follow.

Natvander
December 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Auran is NOT going into liquidation - one 'subsidiary' of Auran has gone into administration. Trainz is still owned by the parent company.

Forest_Runner
December 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Auran is NOT going into liquidation - one 'subsidiary' of Auran has gone into administration. Trainz is still owned by the parent company.

Ahhhh.......a common sense, logical, non speculative and unpanicked post at last........ :cool:

AJ_Fox
December 28th, 2007, 12:20 AM
You know what they say. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. :)

Cheers

AJ

backyard
December 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM
8) ...the TRS community, seams to be organized, yea, if any takers are out there, I hope you can help.

But...anyway...

And...so...

We'll have the games we bought, and even though they constantly connect with the Auran server, if my installations keep, I'm happy.

These are stand alone products, and every bit of content is saved...somewhere!

Damn, such is life, but you never know what may happen next.

So, "Don't throw the babe out with the trash."

SPeciAL!: tthe sofftwar is good, would kep like wine...but can't competz on the Globall(z) Platform, like FS-X.

Past my bedtime,

Allen/Backyard...I'll worry about it, when the monkeys fly outa my bum...

CasyJ
December 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Will it also continue to suck up customer's developer submissions and require paid registration for download?

Drucifer
December 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Thats correct. Auran Developments which among other things employed all the staff was the entity to go into administration.

JohnI'm curious. Where was Auran Developments getting its money from in order to run its normal daily business?

Euphod
December 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I'm curious. Where was Auran Developments getting its money from (SNIP)

That vending machine in the break room, but that was the first to go!
Ed:hehe:

PerRock
December 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Ahhh so that explains why my can of ginger ale cost so much....I thought it had just eaten $20 before spitting out the soda.... :P

peter

Lacker
December 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Strewth!!! is nothing sacred anymore?

Bruce

Mouse84
December 28th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Will it also continue to suck up customer's developer submissions and require paid registration for download?

You've got to be kidding, right?

In all my years of working with computers, Auran is the first, that I can remember that sells you a program, and then gives you a free server where you can upload custom additions for the program and people can download it for free. Sure they put a limit in how fast and how much you can download in 1 day, but for a VERY minimal fee, $10US a year, you can get unlimited downloads at a very fast rate. I waste $10 a month easily, on useless stuff so $10 for a years worth on a FCT is a no-brainer. What the hell do you want for nothing? I have friends at work who pay $15/mo to play a computer game online and you're whining about a company who gives you server access for free? That's the problem with the world today, everyone wants everything for nothing then they complain when they get it.

AHSAN
December 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I'm with John on this. We ought to be prepared for the worst, ie. liquidation, and see if we can organise a community buy-out of the game in order to ensure its future beyond TC3.

Of course, with luck, liquidation of the company will not happen in January and the Auran Trainz team (all three of them) will be able to continue servicing the DLS, forums and undertaking any further development of the game.

However, if liquidation does happen in January, then the community needs to start organising itself now if there is to be any chance of taking ownership of the game, and the DLS, in the Auran firesale that will follow.

Hello

Please read this before you reply:

Read in Auran Announcements,

Update from Auran: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=19926[/URL]

and

Trainz Future: [URL]http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=19927 (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=19927)

Regards

Ahsan:)

wreeder
December 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I'm curious. Where was Auran Developments getting its money from in order to run its normal daily business?

Auran Holdings Pty Ltd

L 3 24 Macquarie St, Newstead, QLD, Australia
SIC:Offices of Holding Companies, NEC
Line of Business:Holding Companies, Nec, Nsk

What is a holding company you might ask?

A holding company is a company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_%28law%29) that owns part, all, or a majority of other companies' outstanding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outstanding_stock) stock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock). It usually refers to a company which does not produce goods or services itself, rather its only purpose is owning shares of other companies. Holding companies allow the reduction of risk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk) for the owners and can allow the ownership and control of a number of different companies. Eighty percent or more of voting stock must be owned before tax consolidation benefits such as tax-free dividends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dividends) can be claimed.

Auran Games is owned by Auran Holding Pty Ltd. Auran Games' business model seems to be taking games created by someone else and putting them in a box with Auran Games on the cover and selling the game in the Far East market. Space Hack is an example. Created by RebelMinds and first released in Europe in 2003, Auran re-released in 2006. I bought a copy, great game. I've bought a lot of these games from Auran Games.

Developing games is a risky business so Auran Development was created to do the work. Smart move business wise. Keep it legally separated from Auran Games and from Auran Holding Pty. But everything developed by Auran Development became the property of Auran Holding Pty since it is the sole investor and stock holder. Another smart move.

Auran Development's money must have come from Auran Holding Pty in the form of venture capital. News stories indicate that Auran Development got loans and grants from the Federal Government to help with the cost of developing Fury and to promote other Aussie game developers' products. Loans have to be paid back.

Chapter 11 for Auran Development was a smart business move not an act of desperation. Auran Holding Pty is a healthy money making company and Trainz is but a part. If the Trainz Classics line is a money maker than it will continue. For that matter, the same is true for Fury. If you want to have a say then spend your money and support the product.

William

Drucifer
December 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
But everything developed by Auran Development became the property of Auran Holding Pty since it is the sole investor and stock holder. Another smart move.

Auran Development's money must have come from Auran Holding Pty in the form of venture capital.

WilliamThat's what I figured too. That's money lost. So can Auran Holding survive this lost is the question that will be answer one way or the other.

CasyJ
December 28th, 2007, 08:07 PM
You've got to be kidding, right?

In all my years of working with computers, Auran is the first, that I can remember that sells you a program, and then gives you a free server where you can upload custom additions for the program and people can download it for free. Sure they put a limit in how fast and how much you can download in 1 day, but for a VERY minimal fee, $10US a year, you can get unlimited downloads at a very fast rate. I waste $10 a month easily, on useless stuff so $10 for a years worth on a FCT is a no-brainer. What the hell do you want for nothing? I have friends at work who pay $15/mo to play a computer game online and you're whining about a company who gives you server access for free? That's the problem with the world today, everyone wants everything for nothing then they complain when they get it.

This reminds me of Compute!, the Commodore/Amiga publication, where amateur programmers would submit their programs to the magazine, only to discover that their programs were locked in copyright by the magazine after submission, and could not even recover their own program without permission. Fine, developers can send their submissions to Auran DLS, which charges for downloading, but in my mind, this is simply feeding a corporation with free products which they appropriate for their own profit. What are the people that offer these products getting for their submissions? Looks like a great money making racket to me.

Mr.Den
December 28th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Looks like a great money making racket to me.

I do not think you will find more than a handful of companies that are not in it to make money.

Non-profitable ventures get capped real quick.

narrowgauge
December 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM
CasyJ

Last time I looked, downloads from the DLS are free, what you pay for with your two-cups-of-coffee-a-year-$10 ticket is the ability to download faster. The provision of this bandwidth costs money and that is what you are paying for. There is no compulsion to buy tickets, just accept the free downloads at a reduced rate.

Further more, submissions to the DLS are voluntary, Auran do not own the copyright, and if there is a good enough reason for it, content can be removed.

The DLS concept is what has made Trainz such a great program with an intensely loyal following (with some exceptions), and it benefits Trainz users more that it benefits Auran.

It seems that you are not fully aware of the true situation.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Lo_Poly
December 28th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the wise words, wreeder. :wave:

-Chris.

rjhowie1
December 29th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Completely agree with you narrowgauge and an earlier posting here regarding how cheap it is to get faster downloading. My first brilliant find on coming across Trainz was that compared with trying to build my present project on Microsoft was impossible. Then discovering a company was providing a basically free download station with tends of thousands of excellent items a great extra surprise. If it was twice the present for a ticket would be still a brgain. Most of us waste a bit and we are getting a DLS at a great cost. Trainz is better than the long time medication I am stuck on! If Train Anonymous was needed I would be an early joiner!!

amigacooke
December 29th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I hope that Auran makes it through present problems as I think that no-one else has the gravitas to keep the Trainz community whole.

Trainz minus Auran would survive, but fractured into its national/team/interest components. In short, no-one else has the restraint required to keep this unruly bunch more or less together.

wreeder
December 29th, 2007, 07:41 AM
That's what I figured too. That's money lost. So can Auran Holding survive this lost is the question that will be answer one way or the other.

I don't think you understand corporate finance. To Auran Holding Pty there is no loss, there is a tax write off against earnings. According to other stories about AHP on the Internet, Auran Games is doing very well in the chinese market. The very reason for their structure is to reduce risk for AHP. It seems they have done this very well. It saddens me that good people lost their jobs and I worry that Trainz might not be profitable enough to continue but I don't take any joy from the situation as you seem to do.

William

Drucifer
December 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I don't think you understand corporate finance. To Auran Holding Pty there is no loss, there is a tax write off against earnings. According to other stories about AHP on the Internet, Auran Games is doing very well in the chinese market. The very reason for their structure is to reduce risk for AHP. It seems they have done this very well. It saddens me that good people lost their jobs and I worry that Trainz might not be profitable enough to continue but I don't take any joy from the situation as you seem to do.

WilliamTax write offs are just that -- you pay less taxes. AHP and Auran Games will probably survive, but their money structure is still weaken because profits are more beneficial to a company then write offs.

It also appears that all games, this includes new and existing games, were place in one company and not only for their development, but also for their day to day operations.

This is why, even with all this rallying around the pole atmosphere, I'm still concern about Trainz future development. Because if everyone remembers it was only a week before the collapse that Tony was stating everything was normal. I expect, in his position, he will always state the rosy side of the picture.

atsfrr3000
December 29th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Because if everyone remembers it was only a week before the collapse that Tony was stating everything was normal. I expect, in his position, he will always state the rosy side of the picture.

Well, sure...he's the company spokesperson.

I'd take anything a spokesperson says with a grain of salt, especially if their company is in financial trouble.

CasyJ
December 29th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Well, sure...he's the company spokesperson.

I'd take anything a spokesperson says with a grain of salt, especially if their company is in financial trouble.

You never see the crossed fingers behind the back.
:hehe:

atsfrr3000
December 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM
You never see the crossed fingers behind the back.
:hehe:

Nor the tongue planted firmly in the cheek! :eek:

amigacooke
December 30th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I take anything said on these boards with a large pinch of salt.

Hi Dru. No longer in self imposed exile then?

Drucifer
December 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I take anything said on these boards with a large pinch of salt.

Hi Dru. No longer in self imposed exile then?Not really. But I still like Trainz even tho it is still off my laptop. So when I got dozens of Auran's and Trainz's news story alerts, it is only natural that I visit the forum.

And the reason I'm posting is because I still like getting deep into finding the actual truth. You know me, I like to dig.

PS. Still miss the forum railroad flatcar with our registered versions. :'(

slave-driver
December 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
PS. Still miss the forum railroad flatcar with our registered versions. :'(
Your not the only one.

Bill