PDA

View Full Version : AltoDave's wonderful 0-6-0 switcher - the complete download

philskene
December 3rd, 2007, 06:12 AM
This little locomotive by AltoDave has probably caused more heartbreak than any other locomotive on the Download Station:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/nineercharlie/IndustRail%201/IR1a_SteamSwitcher.jpg

It's a wonderful model, with many excellent little touches:
Use the pantograph key ("End" on the numeric keypad with NumLock engaged) to activate the bell animation.
When taking on water, the water hatch on the tender opens, water sounds are heard, and the hatch closes with a satisfying metallic bang.
The marker light can be changed - red, white or green.
And, hey, it just looks so damn good. Performs well too.

Dave made several attempts to tweak the config.txt file to make Download Helper capture all the files needed by the loco and tender. Unfortunately without success. Hence grown men weeping, wailing and the gnashing of teeth in attempting to get this beauty up and running.

I've put together a session for IndustRail 1a that uses this locomotive. I've identified those dependencies that Download Helper (and possibly CMP) refuses to find, and incorporated these dependencies in the config.txt file of the session. You can thus be assured that all the assets that are not on your PC will be downloaded with the session and the locomotive will work as intended.

Once you have this UP version operational all the others based upon it should also work.

The only dependencies not present on the Download Station are the coronas used by the marker lights. These can be downloaded from:
http://www.users.on.net/~pskene/coronas.zip (http://www.users.on.net/%7Epskene/coronas.zip)
_____

The session goes like this:

Chuck and Joe, Yard Master here.
After watering and coaling your locomotive I need you to switch Fingers Foundry, Boxings Containers and TinPenny Drum.
Take the loaded freight cars in the Transfer Yard, unload and then reload them at Fingers, Boxings and TinPenny. The flats go to Fingers, the wells to Boxings and the gondolas to TinPenny.
Return the loaded cars to the Transfer Yard. Contact me for your next turn.
_____

Maps and a readme are included in the folder containing the session:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/nineercharlie/IndustRail%201/IndustRail_map_09.jpg

Note: In the session three yellow markers represent a LARS section of track; two ProtoLARS. Freight cars will load or unload when stationary on a LARS section. If one car in the consist has been stationary on a ProtoLARS section for one minute, all freight cars in the consist will load or unload in sequence. Right clicking on the section of track will show what it programmed to produce or consume.

I'd suggest sorting the cars before setting out. A possible sequence is loco, flats, wells and gondolas, but how you tackle the session is very much up to you. A little thought and scouting in the 4-key view may save time later on.

In this session the freight cars unload at LARS industry tracks and load at ProtoLARS. The session should take about 1h30 to complete.

Feedback is most welcome.

Phil

trw1089
December 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Well done Phil. This remains one of my favourite locos in Trainz and AltoDave and I spent quite a bit of time emailing back and forth to get it right, but it was let down by the DLS/CMP etc not finding the more recent versions of the dependencies. I applaud you for getting more people to find the necessary bits and hope as many people enjoy it as possible.

Cheers
Tony

Euphod
December 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Amen. Great idea.
Ed

TheCowboy
December 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Just curious, does anyone know whatever happened to Alto Dave? He showed a lot of promise as a creator and after he built the loco and a nice caboose he disappeared. Too bad for the community.

Midland
December 3rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Neat-oh!

You forgot to mention the choice of steam generators and headlight styles and positions... I don't know if Alto managed to put in the chrome exhausts and fat tyres too. :hehe:

One small drawback with these beasties is the need to empty the ash pan every ten minutes or so. You really need a working ash pit at every station unless you get into the config.txt and tweak it up a bit. If you're being a real man and driving in Cab Mode this can be an issue to good steaming.

Cheers

Nix

philskene
December 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I don't know what happened to Dave. I did send him an e-mail a while back about changing the coronas on his semaphore signals, but there was no reply.

Nix --

And remember the option of the coal pusher on the tender too.

Yes, I forgot to mention the animated ash pan:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/nineercharlie/Misc/Misc_72.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/nineercharlie/Misc/Misc_73.jpg

From memory a few other locomotives have this feature (can't remember which ones tho) and I thought this might be an emerging feature on steam Trainz, so you will find an ash pit at most of the larger depots on my routes - in Riverside at Diaspar and Lys; in IndustRail at Invercargill, Loco Depot, Dunedin, Picton and Lys.

After
Chuck and Joe, Yard Master here.
After watering and coaling your locomotive
I should have added
and dump ash from the ash pan at the ash pit

I made provision for refueling Phil_C's diesel locomotives on these routes, but unfortunately I didn't anticipate wood (The General) and Bunker-C (Garratt).

Are you sure that the level of ash affects performance? I know that it does in real life, but I've never noticed it in the simulation.
_____

The more observant may notice that the bogeys on the tender are not the ones that come as standard.

If, like me, you think that the standard ones are just a little too flimsy to use under even a boat trailer, alias to kuid 60238:50012

Phil

jguffey
December 4th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Forgive me if this sounds dumb. how can i download the train. or is this a layout that uses this train.

Thanks

Jim

shesa
December 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
From the DLS, kuid 46075:6930:4

tbryson2
December 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I made provision for refueling Phil_C's diesel locomotives on these routes, but unfortunately I didn't anticipate wood (The General) and Bunker-C (Garratt).
Phil

The "Museum" General uses diesel fuel, so it should pose no problems on this route. As long as your using the tender that goes with the "Museum" General it should refuel at any of Phil_C's refueling station(s). I successfully tested it using one of his. (Refuel the tender, NOT the engine)

Terry

cathouse
December 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hi Phil.

quote,

I've put together a session for IndustRail 1a that uses this locomotive. I've identified those dependencies that Download Helper (and possibly CMP) refuses to find, and incorporated these dependencies in the config.txt file of the session. You can thus be assured that all the assets that are not on your PC will be downloaded with the session and the locomotive will work as intended.

end quote

I'm very sorry to tell you but it didn't work for me.
I had to manually download 6 items for the loco.

cheers
Roy

philskene
December 4th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hi Jim --

It's a session for the route "IndustRail 1a". So you need the route for the session to work. Be warned that the dependencies for the route total more than 100MB, but a substantial part of that are the products used by interactive industries - and many of the dependencies you may have already.

Hi Terry --

Hey, that's good because all the major depots on IndustRail have facilities for refueling Phil Campbell's locomotives. Thanks.

Hi Roy --

Damn !~! I tested the sesion on a vanilla install of TRS2004 that had only IndustRail 1a added to it. The session downloaded and ran perfectly - no errors at all.

My guess is that you're running TRS2006? I thought that CMP was a little better in identifying dependencies, but in this case it may be six dependencies worse.

Lucky I did give myself an out " (and possibly CMP) ".

Do you know the kuids that were missing?

Phil

aradlaw
December 4th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reminder about AltoDave's switcher, it downloaded into 2006 with only two passes thru CMP (plus your corona dl) ... the only dependency missing is 43955:54005.

cathouse
December 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Phil
sorry to dissapoint you but I'm an 04 dinosaur like Nix.

the Kuids I had to d/l were
46075:50171, 46075:50172, 46075:10100, 46075:10101, 46075:2000010 and 126323:54001.

cheers
Roy

philskene
December 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Dave --

" ... the only dependency missing is 43955:54005."

WOW!! That's from way out of left field. I don't know what's calling that one up. It's one of Prowlers - the RGS #20 whistle. 'Tis possible that an earlier version of the switcher used Prowlers whistle, but not this latest version. Interesting.

Roy --

All those dependencies are in the kuid table of the session and should have been downloaded with the session. I can't understand why my Download Helper captured them but yours didn't. One of those Trainz quirks?

Phil

tbryson2
December 5th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, I got all KINDS of wierdness!! Running 06 with SP1

Tender has an issue with:
Faulty WAV file - Copy of Auran Coal Unloading (which has an issue with: Error: The tag 'origin' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library'))

Tender also cannot find:
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000011>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000012>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000013>

Locomotive has:
Warning: Compulsory tag 'color' was missing and has been set to default.
Error: MeshData DatabaseLoad - cannot load mesh: 'UP_060_shadow\UP_060_shadow.im'
Error: The tag '!-' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'traincar')
Error: The tag 'bellloopdur' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'traincar')

Imbedded within the locomotive I have many faulty dependencies
Won't list them all here.

I'll play with it and see if I cannot clean it up.

Terry

marvschwenke
December 5th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I have a dumb question. Why must we download a 100 meg route and session just to get a loco and tender? Why can't someone put together a package on the dls with the loco, tender and all required dependencies in the pack? I have given up on downloading maps as I have never been successful at geting one without having something being wrong with it.

Ferrous
December 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I hunted down all of the KUIDs myself about a month ago and I can believe that without exaggeration this particular switcher has caused more anguish, pain, tears, and hand-wringing than any other loco out there.

I have to say though, once she's up and running, she becomes the workhorse of any steam-era fleet. :Y: :clap: :D

tbryson2
December 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
How do I get past

Error: The tag 'origin' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library')

What should I rename it? I've tried simply running it through the CCP but it reflects the same error and won't suggest anything. (wonder of wonders! :( )

Terry

aradlaw
December 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, I got all KINDS of weirdness!! Running 06 with SP1
Tender also cannot find:
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000011>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000012>
Unknown Location: <kuid:46075:2000013>

Terry

I ran the tender through CMP a second time and it fetched those (all wave sounds) If I remember those were faulty too.

RPearson
December 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
How do I get past

Error: The tag 'origin' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library')

What should I rename it? I've tried simply running it through the CCP but it reflects the same error and won't suggest anything. (wonder of wonders! :( )

Terry
Delete it. It's only used in kind traincar configs. If the library depends on this tag being there then it's broken in TRS2006.

Bob Pearson

tbryson2
December 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Tried downloading it again, no difference.

Also, deleted the "kind", and it didn't like that either. It's expecting something for "kind".

Get" Error: Required tag 'kind' is not present. Ensure this is a valid config file.

Once I hear, or figure the correct solution I'll feel like an idiot. I just know it! ;)

Terry

philskene
December 6th, 2007, 12:33 AM
OK --

A quick summary of this little heartbreak loco:
_____

From a clean install it downloads perfectly for me in TRS2004 without any recourse to searching for missing dependencies on the Download Station.

But not for Roy.

aradlaw seems to have got it up and running in TRS2006.

But it's giving Terry a really tough time.

And as for marvschwenke's "I have a dumb question. ... Why can't someone put together a package on the dls with the loco, tender and all required dependencies in the pack?"

Well, that's exactly what the original creator, AltoDave, attempted to do on several occasions, but kinda failed. You will notice that it's up to kuid :4, representing his fourth effort to get the Download Station to capture all the dependencies. Dave disappeared from Trainz shortly after. Whether there is a connection between the two I don't know.
_____

Have we made any progress?

Well, those who now have the switcher should fell a bit smug. Those who haven't - I given it my best shot. And I think, like Dave, I should give up while I'm ahead.

Phil

tbryson2
December 6th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I have (had) 7 "WAV" assets that are all faulty for the same reason.

FINALLY I "woke up'" and determined what the issue is.

2 "tags" were improper.

Error: The tag '!' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'library')

Simply went in and deleted those tags. (DUHH!) TOLD you I would feel stupid! :o Now to test it!

Terry

tbryson2
December 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ok, got it to work without any errors, :D

BUT!

The shadow file is improper. (evidence of headlamp where none is on top front of boiler).

This is what one of the errrors was, the filename for the shadow was not the same in the config as in the subdirectory.

If anyone can get me the correct file, (I believe it is up_060_shadow.im and texture files associated) I would appreciate it. My current file is atsf_060_shadow.im

Even with that, this is a really NICE engine! Would LOVE to know how he did the animated bell and incorporate that into both of my General's

Thanks!!!

Terry

cathouse
December 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Hi
I must say, once I dlled the 6 objects Download Helpless :hehe: missed, it worked perfectly.

nice little loco too.

cheers
Roy

tbryson2
December 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Phil, kind of new at this, so pardon my ignorance.

You stated this is "a session for the route "IndustRail 1a". You also stated that I needed the route to work.

What do I download to get the route? Would that be "LARS IndustRail AND ProtoLARS IndustRail?

Thanks!

Terry

philskene
December 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hi Terry --

I'm not sure if it's the same in your TRS2006 as in my '04, but in Surveyor if you click on the "?" in the rolling stock flyout and then on the locomotive you should have a number of choices, including marker lights, headlight type and location, turbo generator, ... . Same for the tender.

Is this a possible cause of your headlight shadow issue?

"You stated this is "a session for the route "IndustRail 1a". You also stated that I needed the route to work."

Yes to the first part. To the second, well not necessarily. What I did was set up the session on a PC with only TRS2004 and IndustRail 1a installed, identify the dependencies that were missing when I attempted to create a session using this locomotive, and added those missing dependencies to the kuid table in the config.txt file of the session.

If you do want to run the session:
Either download IndustRail 1a first.
Or just download the session - the route is one of the dependencies of the session so the route will automatically download.

I'm looking forward to the next iteration of "The General" with bell activation.

Phil

tbryson2
December 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm looking forward to the next iteration of "The General" with bell activation.

Phil

ME TOO!!!:D I would LOVE to know how it's done! I think the General(s) would look AWESOME with the bell animated. I'm sure it's in the scripting, (animation wouldn't be an issue), but I have NO knowledge about how to modify the current scripting on the engine(s). Add that to Bob' Pearsons wonderful job of doing the scripting to get it to work realisticly, AND he had to add Pencil42's working front connector to that script. I've studied it somewhat, but have NO clue how to modify it to make the bell animate with the pantograph key the way the UP 0-6-0 does.

IF I get any offers to do so, I'll modify the engine(s) and upload the updated files onto the DLS.

I just uploaded the Civil War General, so I'm waiting on them to authorize it and then I'll make that announcement.

Terry

Hedo
December 6th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Also when using this loco you should use the driver called Willie the Gimp or your drivers feet will stick out through the floorboards. This loco gave me a bit of frustration last fall but once I got it fixed it worked great.

aradlaw
December 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Yes, it's working for me in 2006, I gave it a built-in hornsound rather than hunt up the 'prowler' kuid it was looking for.
The animated the bell is neat (panograph button).

tbryson2
December 7th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Hi Terry --

I'm not sure if it's the same in your TRS2006 as in my '04, but in Surveyor if you click on the "?" in the rolling stock flyout and then on the locomotive you should have a number of choices, including marker lights, headlight type and location, turbo generator, ... . Same for the tender.

Is this a possible cause of your headlight shadow issue?

"You stated this is "a session for the route "IndustRail 1a". You also stated that I needed the route to work."

Yes to the first part. To the second, well not necessarily. What I did was set up the session on a PC with only TRS2004 and IndustRail 1a installed, identify the dependencies that were missing when I attempted to create a session using this locomotive, and added those missing dependencies to the kuid table in the config.txt file of the session.

If you do want to run the session:
Either download IndustRail 1a first.
Or just download the session - the route is one of the dependencies of the session so the route will automatically download.
Phil

1. Ok, even though I can change the LOCATION of the headlamp, the shadow, (see images) still does not "fit" where headlamp is. Also if headlamp is on smokebox, shadow is still on top of boiler. Still not sure if I have the wrong shadow file somehow. Also shadow on stack where it does not belong. (I'm NOT expecting the shadow to move, but expected NO shadow to be where it currently is.)

It's not that big of a deal, but if the right shadow file exists it would be nice if someone would send it to me. (please ;) )

2. Tried downloading IndustRail 1a using CMP, but it wouldn't download it. Only got cow mooing! (gotta change that!!!)

Terry

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z97/tbryson2/Image1-1.jpg

betsy662
December 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I'm running TRS06 with SP1, and have most of those 0-6-0 switchers, I believe the original is the NYC version, so that might be the shadow file your looking for.

FWIW, I did import these from TRS04, so the issues may not have been there at that time, or if they were, they were somehow corrected in TRS04 before I moved all that content over to TRS06.........:wave::wave::wave:

philskene
December 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Well, Terry, this is very interesting.

I went back to my other PC with only Trainz2004 and IndustRail 1a on it and downloaded my 0-6-0 session.

In previous tests Download Helper always downloaded all the dependencies for the locomotive. This time it missed four. Nothing like inconsistency to further confuse the issue!

Hey, wot shadow? I see no shadows, apart from those from the tender bogeys. Why does Terry have shadows and I don't?

Then I discover that the loco and tender config.txt file are calling up the wrong shadow file - referencing back to a up.im rather than the correct atsf.im file.

Correct this and find the exact same error that you show in your screen shot.

I've had this before in other items of rolling stock and found it so damn annoying that I've deleted the reference to the shadow all together.

So I think we all have the same shadow file. It's just that it's not visible unless the config.txt file is edited.

Phil

tbryson2
December 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Ok. Yea, I've seen it before on rolling stock, like when someone makes a flatcar out of a boxcar. Box shadow is still there on the flatcar!

Oh well, something I'll overlook on this one. It IS a nice engine! Love the realistic ones!

Terry

philskene
December 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Terry --

I've found the reason for the shadow issue.

This UP switcher is based on Dave's earlier ATSF 0-6-0 switcher. Dave added some features, like the the movable headlight and turbo generator, and altered a few of the proportions, like the smokebox and chimney height. The latter is particularly obvious when you stand the two together.

However, the UP switcher retains the ATSF shadow file, hence the effect that you see.

Soooo - if you want a shadow, use the ATSF; if you want the full feature list, use the UP and delete the shadow reference in the config.txt file.

You've noticed the air compressor animation?

Phil

By the way, the ATSF will be a no-show unless you have Prowler's whistle installed. The easiest option is to change the alias of the whistle of the ATSF to that used by the UP version.

tbryson2
December 7th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hmmm. Missed the air compressor animation. Will have to focus in on that!

Not sure what you mean by "change the alias of the whistle of the ATSF to that used by the UP version"

Funny thing, Industrail 1a decided it WOULD download today, and I started to do so. My FCT expired some time ago, and it was taking a long time, so I purchased another FCT and after about 20 min or so it goes a LOT faster, but then said I used up my limit. Guess the "limit" doesn't update that fast. Too bad! I'll have to continue tomorrow.

Thanks!

Terry

johnwhelan
December 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Could some one put all the fixes in TARL or are they already there?

Thanks John

tbryson2
December 8th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Well,

1. I HATE to be ignorant :confused:
2. I HATE to be a pest :o

But I "successfully" downloaded Industrail 1a and it's full of errors. (Just my luck!)

What I don't understand is how I can download something from the DLS, and it's missing files!!! I can understand diferences in 2004 vs 2006, (tags), but missing files? (see last "error" below) All of the other items are easy enough to fix with editing.

Typically it's "Error: The tag 'xxxxxx' is not permitted within this container. (Container type 'xxxxxx')

or

Error: The texture 'c:\games\trs2006/local/content i471wp4k95/door5.jpg' is not a power of 2, please resize it.

or

Error: Could not load texture 'c:\games\trs2006/local/content am35xy77507\cobbles.jpg'. It can't load it because it isn't even there!

KUIDs I'm mostly having trouble with are:
Unknown Location: <kuid:102657:40011> THIS ONE IS MISSING ENTIRELY, NOT SURE WHAT IT EVEN IS????

The below are missing texture files
Faulty 120 ft Roundhouse Left End
Faulty 120 ft Turntable Track
Faulty Factory Complex
Faulty Fuel Crane right
Faulty Philskene Industries LTD

There are several more, but they simply need to be edited to fix bad "tags" or textures not being X 2

IF someone could send me the above files I would appreciate it.

Terry

wolfsong
December 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Hi,
Download both from DLS and from site mention for one missing set of kuids. Installed under TRS2006 and launched after commit. TRS wanted to visit DLS and get more so let it. When finished launched driver scenario and got not that something still missing. Told it to look and it came back and said kuid2:75134:99001:11 could not be found. Discovered kuid2:75134:99001:12 is built in.

The question is, where do I go to change kuid id in scenario so it will quit trying for :11 and use :12?

My other question is, can this great 0-6-0 switcher be modified easily to allow the headlight to be turned on and off easily or is that a major undertaking for the author?

Thanks for comments & help on both issues,
=gerry=

philskene
December 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hi gerry --

Of the two posts above, yours is the easiest to answer, so I'll attempt it first.

"The question is, where do I go to change kuid id in scenario so it will quit trying for :11 and use :12?"

75134:99001 is ElDavo's Chameleon livery system library. In the session 75134:99001:11 is being called up by Maddy's 52' Railgon gondola, kuid 124017:5013. Chameleon allows two different skins to show on this gondola mesh.

Hunt down the gondola with CMP, right click on it, select Open in Explorer and the folder containing the gondola will open. Double click on the config.txt file and edit it to change the :11 to :12. Save. Remember to commit.

" ... can this great 0-6-0 switcher be modified easily to allow the headlight to be turned on and off easily ... "

With my version of TRS, the L-key turns the headlight on and off. I'm not sure, but is this the question you wanted to ask?

Now, gerry, can you do me a favor. Terry above is having tremendous difficulty with, amongst other issues, cobblestones and turntable textures. You are running '06. When you first jump into the session you are at the Lys loco depot. Do the cobblestones show for you? And the turntable?

Hi Terry --

You are doing a good job. I get almost no feedback about routes and sessions, so I just continue merrily on using assumption that everything is peaches.

Maybe it's not.

You will certainly find that many older (and even not so old) assets will make CMP cough up an error message. However, in most cases the they do work in the simulation. Do you see the cobblestones and turntables?

Nothing should be actually "missing" in the sense that it's not on the Download Station. All the dependencies for this route are either built-in or taken from the DLS, but I'd be very surprised if any route passes the CMP error check inquisition. In TRS2006 error messages seem to be a fact of life.

Phil

tbryson2
December 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Hmmm. A lot to answer. What was missing were the texture files themselves. ("shiny.tga") for example. Had "shiny.texture.txt" that POINTS to the ".tga" file, but no "shiny.tga" file. Was VERY apparent on the refueling arm, (cannot remember the exact name) ALL of the "texture" files were of the old variety, "red.texture" and not .tga files. Replaced them with files I generated and it removed the errors, but I don't know what it will look like! :hehe:

There were a LOT of "tags" that were not right, seems the config.txt files got whacked somehow and put "" where they shouldn't be. Also there were a LOT of inconsistancies with assets from (I believe) older Trainz vs. 06. A lot of tags were not used anymore and I had to delete them... Glad I had the experience to do so and know what to look for!

Tried doing the simulation with the errors, and got no bridges... I'm thinking those were one of the assets with errors because they work fine now.

On to other things, I went ahead and downloaded all of the "Industrail" scenarios, and spent ALL evening editing and cleaning up stuff. Hope I didn't whack anything! If something doesn't work right, I'll try to download it fresh... Had LOTS of files with missing dependencies, and "faults". The engines had almost NO texture files, so I replaced them with the standard Auran engine.

Wish there was a way to back this stuff up so I don't have to edit it again if (heaven forbid!) I get another lightning strike.... :'(

I'll let you know if it works alright. Just flyin through it seems to be ok. Now I'm too burned out on the computer to want to play! Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

tbryson2
December 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Forgot to add there WERE things mising from the DLS! Cannot remember the assets, and I did see where to go to the other website and download things. But there were still missing items. Wish I had kept track...

On the Industrail 1a I don't recall anything missing from the DLS, it's what was INSIDE of that asset that was missing. (texture files mostly...) Wierd!

Terry

michael2541
December 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
are there any activities for Industrail 1a?

cathouse
December 9th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Hi
There are 5 sessions on the DLS at present.

cheers
Roy

michael2541
December 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
well, i found them, but its being stubborn in cmp. any help?
mike

cathouse
December 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry I can't help with that one, 04 user, I'm having enough trouble with download helper. :(

Roy

tbryson2
December 9th, 2007, 04:40 PM
it wasn't working earlier, but now it is.

Terry

wolfsong
December 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Phil,
Well, that did not seem to make any difference when I changed :11 to :12 in the gondola's config.txt file. I still got the missing message when I launched and for some reason got nothing but moos when I tried to download. I went ahead and launched and found the 0-6-0 missing! I then went to the railyard and could not get the engine to show but the tender would. I then remembered that sometimes the .tdx file can get corrupted without warning so I deleted it and relaunched TRS2006. Low and behold, the 0-6-0 is back in the railyard and when I launch the IR it comes up in the roundhouse. Interestingly enough when I first launched and let everything settle out the roundhouse and the turntable were not there but the moment I move my position with the arrow keys they popped into view and the next time I launched they were there. By the way, once I did the .tdx delete and let it rebuild, I did not get any warnings on dependencies missing, it went right into the scenario.

Oh, on your question, the marble around the turntable is there and the turntable itself.

I tried the L key in TRS2006 again, and although the indicator on the control panel turns off and on (white and dark gold) the lights to do not turn on. Is there some asset/config setting I am missing?
=gerry=

tbryson2
December 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
My "main" lights don't turn on either on the 0-6-0. :( But I CAN get the red / green / white lights on on the front of the engine.

The cobblestone was the texture I was missing (cobble.tga) on the turntable but "found" it in the 120 roundhouse files. Also, the Left roundhouse end was missing other textures, inside was all white! copied all the textures from the Right end files and it looks great now!

Have not had any other troubles with the 1a stuff.

Terry

wolfsong
December 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
You must be looking at a different engine the UP 4609 0-6-0 switcher has no lights on the front other than the main head lamp!

tbryson2
December 10th, 2007, 10:53 PM
You must be looking at a different engine the UP 4609 0-6-0 switcher has no lights on the front other than the main head lamp!

Ahh, but it DOES have other lights on the front! IF you know how to do it! ;) I discovered (?) if you right click on the engine and hit "View Details" you will get a nice little window that allows you to select "Marker lights: none, red, green, white.

(I'm running Trainz 06 SP1, Have NO clue if 04 offers this!)

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z97/tbryson2/Image1-3.jpg

philskene
December 11th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Wolf, Terry --

In TRS2004, in Surveyor click on ? in the rolling stock flyout then left click on the loco. A range of options appears - including headlight and marker lights.

I think it should be the same in '06.

Phil

smokeygear
December 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM
This is awesome now if if we be nice enogh maybe we'll get a 2-8-0 with the same features Yahhhhhh! :cool: But its not likely to happen.:(

wgkandsk
December 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I was the orginal creator of this engine and tender (Its the NYC 0-6-0 switcher on the DLS). Autodave revised my mesh. I have the orginal mesh that I would be more then happy to send. Just send me an E-mail.

tbryson2
December 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I was the orginal creator of this engine and tender (Its the NYC 0-6-0 switcher on the DLS). Autodave revised my mesh. I have the orginal mesh that I would be more then happy to send. Just send me an E-mail.

Would you be willing to share how you did the animated bell? Animating it in GMAX isn't the issue, getting it to work in Trainz is where I fall short! Would look GREAT on my General(s)!

I have NO experience with the scripting for Trainz. Someday perhaps I'll have the time and stamina to try and understand the scripting end of the engines.

Terry

smokeygear
December 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Love to take you up on your deal Mr. wgkandsk but I can't model any trainz, well I shouldn't say that. Will you be availible during Christmas?

Ferrous
December 12th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I'd like to take you up on that offer...

Also, while I have your ear, I'm missing <kuid:36226:54001> from an otherwise complete loco.

wgkandsk
December 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Ferrous

You got mail

wgkandsk
December 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
tbryson2 (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?u=285087)

I did not create the vbmenu_register("postmenu_207310", true); bell's animation. I believe it may have been Autodave's work.

tbryson2
December 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
tbryson2 (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?u=285087)

I did not create the vbmenu_register("postmenu_207310", true); bell's animation. I believe it may have been Autodave's work.

Bummer. I'll have to be patient or experiment!

Thanks!!!

Terry

UP9914
June 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Error: ATSF 0-6-0 Cannot find <kuid:43955:54005> anywhere

cascaderailroad
January 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Why is this locomotive so hard for the many, many thousands or Trainzers to get it running...Does it take rocket science to get it's dependencies ?

For that matter, why are Trainz assets on a whole...missing lots of Tga and bmp image files, and why are there so many typographical errors in the config files, and tags that are totally not allowed in the config files ?

Do people just nonchalantly, upload their content to the DLS, untested, hoping that they have all the files ?

johnwhelan
January 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM
For that matter, why are Trainz assets on a whole...missing lots of Tga and bmp image files, and why are there so many typographical errors in the config files, and tags that are totally not allowed in the config files ?

Do people just nonchalantly, upload their content to the DLS, untested, hoping that they have all the files ?

When created in TRS2004 and uploaded there wasn't the same error checking as there is today. Most content creators are more concerned with getting the darn thing to work than reading through 93 pages of the Content Creators Guide to see if every little bit is correct. I know sometimes after struggling with some obscure problem I'm only too happy to move on to something new.

Probably five out of six items of rolling stock or locos are reskins so the originators errors get included. Paintshed items are slightly better but even here the quality of the texture files and mesh isn't really up to the latest standards. You can of course take a paintshed texture file and increase its size by a factor of two in both directions to improve the texture quality, I think they were .pm files rather than .im so you'd need to run pev's tool to convert it as well.

The lucky content creators have beta testers but even the best ones miss things. I've noticed bugs a couple of years after making the object sometimes. Do you upload to the DLS or leave it to age with the beta testers for a couple of years first in case something crawls out of the woodwork.

Cheerio John

cascaderailroad
January 15th, 2010, 07:09 PM
EDIT: I finally got this loco working, with the animated swinging bell...the bell swings in Driver mode when pantograph button is pushed...but the bell seems not to swing in Cab mode. The Animated Willie the gimp Fireman shovels coal when the Space bar is pressed.

cascaderailroad
January 16th, 2010, 01:19 AM
EDIT: It Works ! ... finally http://rapidshare.com/files/100888294/Loco_UP_steam_060_ALL_ASSESTS.zip

JimDep
January 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Cool.:cool: How'd you get it working?

cascaderailroad
January 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
EDIT: http://rapidshare.com/files/100888294/Loco_UP_steam_060_ALL_ASSESTS.zip

Here are all the files...a free user can get online at off peak hours...otherwise it won't let free users in when traffic is high.

cascaderailroad
January 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
EDIT: I adjusted the "bellloopdur" from 0.875, to 0.8885 which seems come close to sync of the bell wav file sound.

The headlight does not show up in daytime...but when running at night the beam is bright, but the headlight corona seems redish.
The headlight <kuid:87589:10106> is "Corona Rounded Red", so I downloaded "Corona Rounded White" which is <kuid:87589:10105> and replaced it in 2 places in the config file, now the headlight is no longer reddish, and is now White...but it still does not show up in daylight.

You can select red, green or white colored marker lamps on the loco, but not on the tender, and the tender has no backup lighting.

I am working on a screenshot, and a video of this loco, which I will post here ASAP

philskene
January 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I've revised the TS2009/10 version.

It can be downloaded by a mouse click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/336061731/Loco_US_UP_060_SteamLoco_v3.cdp

Phil

NTSEFAN
January 18th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I hunted down all of the KUIDs myself about a month ago and I can believe that without exaggeration this particular switcher has caused more anguish, pain, tears, and hand-wringing than any other loco out there.

I have to say though, once she's up and running, she becomes the workhorse of any steam-era fleet. :Y: :clap: :D
I agree with you man, this engine is a pain in the a** to download, i man with all of the dependicies and all. if i downloaded this loco, it would probably take me weeks, maybe months to track down every last part and kuid to make it work.

but beyond that, this is a magnificent engine ever, cause it will appear in nick the steam engine one day under the name wilbert.:) :D :udrool: :Y: :clap: :hehe:
by the way, TheCowboy, your engines are magnificent.

cascaderailroad
January 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I repeat...all the files are here---> http://rapidshare.com/files/100888294/Loco_UP_steam_060_ALL_ASSESTS.zip <---

If you commit this, the loco shows up effortlessly without any missing dependencies.

philskene
January 19th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Cascade --

They just don't seem to listen do they?
_____

So to re-iterate:

1. I'm the dude what uploaded the 0-6-0 UP steam switcher to my Rapidshare folder.

2. If you wants the TRS2004/06 version, mouse click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/100888294/Loco_UP_steam_060_ALL_ASSESTS.zip

3. If you wants the TS2009/10 version, mouse click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/336061731/Loco_US_UP_060_SteamLoco_v3.cdp
_____

The 04/06 download includes those dependencies that are no longer on the DLS.

The 09/10 version will give the 4-chufs per revolution and an enginespec where driving style influences boiler pressure and water consumption without that annoying safety valve noise present in a lot of other '09 steamers (in Cab Mode that is).
_____

To see the bell animation, in Driver use the pantograph key (the 1-key in the numeric key pad with NumLock activated).

The marker light color, headlight position ... can be changed by clicking on the "?" in the rolling stock flyout in Surveyor and then on the locomotive.

The water hatch on the tender is animated when filling with water. With glugging sounds too.

The ash pan will dump ash in an ash pit.

Please enjoy.

Phil

cascaderailroad
January 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Philskene...You are the King of Trainz...making this wonderfully animated locomotive available to all...Thank You, so much.

"Willy The Gimp" is a great driver for the loco. Orange blazered Allistair looks oddly out of place, standing with his feet protruding from bottom of the cab.

yojimbo
January 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
... and the spirit of the subforum's subject matter, a couple of screenies would be neat.

Just to see it run would be a treat I gave up myself a long time ago, and now I don't have the bandwidth to attemp a download. :)

JimDep
January 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
... and the spirit of the subforum's subject matter, a couple of screenies would be neat.

Just to see it run would be a treat I gave up myself a long time ago, and now I don't have the bandwidth to attemp a download. :)

Yojimbo,

Here's some screenies :

Willie the gimp looks like he's hanging out a little bit

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9649/119102.jpg (http://img696.imageshack.us/i/119102.jpg/)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1569/119103.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/i/119103.jpg/)

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/9984/119104jpg.jpg (http://img44.imageshack.us/i/119104jpg.jpg/)

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5408/119105.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/i/119105.jpg/)

yojimbo
January 19th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Yojimbo,

Here's some screenies :

Willie the gimp looks like he's hanging out a little bit

Thanks! great to see it in all its splendour rather than fragmented bits and pieces.

Regarding Willie; I never really got the meaning of "Bring out the Gimp!" but now I see what it means. Anyway he seems to be within the boundaries of the safe loading gauge, so we won't have to file any Near Miss or LTI reports.

cascaderailroad
January 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM
That is a screenshot with Orange Blazered-Allistair. standing, hanging out of the cab.
Willy The Gimp is an old west RR driver. You can select to remove Allistair...and add Wiilly The Gimp driver, that has an animated turning head.

JimDep
January 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM
That is a screenshot with Orange Blazered-Allistair. standing, hanging out of the cab.
Willy The Gimp is an old west RR driver. You can select to remove Allistair...and add Wiilly The Gimp driver, that has an animated turning head.

Thanks, that makes more sense!

cascaderailroad
January 20th, 2010, 07:49 AM
VIDEO http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/?action=view&current=TrainzRailwayz2006AltoDavesUP0-6-0.mp4

There are many animations, and several user settings for this loco. I set the light as a D&RGW Hooded type, generator as longitudinal, set the marker lights to Green, and put Willy The Gimp driver in the cab.

JimDep
January 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Nice job on the video. Thanks for sharing the mods. :)

tbryson2
January 20th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I would love to have implemented some of the features of this loco, (taylored for mine of course), on my 4-4-0's, but could never figure out how to do it. I know there is a lot in the scripting, and that was my weakest link.

Terry

yojimbo
January 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I would love to have implemented some of the features of this loco, (taylored for mine of course), on my 4-4-0's, but could never figure out how to do it. I know there is a lot in the scripting, and that was my weakest link.

Terry

There are no links in a rubber band. :)

I think many builders of the above 40 persuation, would love to have some pimplefaced scriptwiz or silverbacked code cruncher handy for all those little features that makes a model even closer to the real thing.

But sadly such are very scarce and the learning curve in modelling alone is getting steeper with every new release of TRS.

I will have a look at the video when I am back on shore. Looking forward to see the real Willy.

philskene
January 20th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Guys --

Also don't forget:
1. It's possible to configure the tender - with or without coal pusher.
2. You can dump the ash from the ash pan.

At most loco depots in my routes there is an ash dump track. It needs to be configured to consume ash. Or see here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=43211&highlight=switcher

If using TS2009, use the newer download link for the locomotive, see Post #72 above.

Hi yojimbo --

This loco has been around for ages. In fact, it dates back to before Adam was a kid.

Phil

yojimbo
January 21st, 2010, 03:20 AM
Guys --

Hi yojimbo --

This loco has been around for ages. In fact, it dates back to before Adam was a kid.

Phil

I know, but it fell short when I had to decide whether to spend my time chasing dependencies or building stuff.

I am however very glad to see it still works after three (?) generations of the game. Even if it takes some doctoring. The Trainz world needs more of these little work horses.

cascaderailroad
January 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM
http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/?action=view&current=TrainzRailwayz2006AltoDavesUP0-6-0.mp4

This works so simply, that even a 4 y/o could download the zip file, and open it in the CMP, and commit all the opened assets...how much easier can it get ?
It works right out of the box with no missing dependencies, no doctoring whatsoever at all !

If you want the TRS2004/06 version, click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/10088829...LL_ASSESTS.zip (http://rapidshare.com/files/100888294/Loco_UP_steam_060_ALL_ASSESTS.zip)

If you want the TS2009/10 version, click here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/33606173...eamLoco_v3.cdp (http://rapidshare.com/files/336061731/Loco_US_UP_060_SteamLoco_v3.cdp)

jebartle
January 23rd, 2010, 09:07 AM
I managed to track down all the assets for this engine about a year ago , but I didn't realize all the features that where in it . It is truly amazing what is packed in this fine engine. I wish I could fine other engines done up as well as this.
jeb