PDA

View Full Version : TRS19 Early Access Beta Discussion forum

Tony_Hilliam
September 3rd, 2018, 07:20 PM
We've created this forum to keep the beta discussions separate from the "live" builds.

Please use the main TRS19 forum for general discussion and please use this forum to post any issues found with either the live or beta versions. And of course still use the Beta Report Form (https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu) for your detailed reports.

Release Editions:

1. TRS19 Early Access build 96000:
Status: Heavily tested. Purchased from the Trainz Store or as part of the Gold Class membership. It is a pre-release version that is mostly feature complete and stable but with a limited content set. There may still be errors in sessions and additional polish required.
Update schedule: Additional 5 built-in routes and additional rolling stock will be released as free DLC during the coming weeks. Additional code updates will be released less frequently. There may still be errors in sessions and additional polish required.
Other DLC: TANE DLC will be released for TRS19 one it passes internal testing and we ensure the packages are downloaded without errors. There may still be errors in sessions and additional polish required.
This link provides (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:In-game_Downloading) the list of currently released DLC items.

2. TRS19 beta build 96191:
Status: In-development build not heavily tested. This version is available to anyone who has access to the Early Access edition. It is likely to have more bugs than the current live Early Access edition. It is up to users whether to choose the TRS19 Beta stream to update their build or not.
Update schedule: Regular updates will be released as we update, tweak and fix the software.

3. TRS19 (Scheduled for release Q4, 2018):
Status: An official date will be announced when we are happy that the release version will be of superior quality and stability to the current live Early Access version, and it content complete.

robd
September 3rd, 2018, 07:25 PM
Could you clarify that please: Has everybody who has just bought in to TRS2019 got a live "beta" version? Is the final release yet to come? Will it be bug free? It all sounds a bit "Arthur Daley" to me!

Rob.

Edit: For those not familiar with Arthur Daley: Arthur Daley is a fictitious character from a popular 1970/1980's UK TV comedy - Minder; the character role is a small time conman and used car trader.

davesnow
September 3rd, 2018, 07:48 PM
Could you clarify that please: Has everybody who has just bought in to TRS2019 got a live "beta" version?

That's my question, too.

Pug
September 3rd, 2018, 08:45 PM
Could you clarify that please: Has everybody who has just bought in to TRS2019 got a live "beta" version? Is the final release yet to come? Will it be bug free? It all sounds a bit "Arthur Daley" to me!

Rob.

As per last Friday's newsletter, you have to opt into the Beta versions - instructions supplied. In other words, you have to change your Update Stream from TRS19 Early Access to TRS19 Beta so only those people who have done this will be working with these current Beta releases. We are a long way off a final release. As for a final totally bug free release, when has that ever occurred with any software programme? :D

robd
September 3rd, 2018, 08:57 PM
Are you saying that folk are being asked to pay for beta releases? That's what it sounds like to me! Will there ever be a final release version and what is the superseding version? Are we, as loyal customers, being treated like mere pawns in your seemingly fantasy ongoing playworld of Trainz development? I fancy the answer to that question is "yes"!

Rob.

WindWalkr
September 3rd, 2018, 10:07 PM
Are you saying that folk are being asked to pay for beta releases?

Nope. Users can pay for Early Access if they want that, which as the name suggests grants access to a pre-release version of TRS19. We don't consider this a beta - it's been heavily tested - but it lacks some of the features and (initially at least) much of the content that the final release version will have.

Everybody who has TRS19 can access the beta versions if they so choose. We certainly aren't forcing people to be involved in the beta, but some users may find it fun to see what's going on, and some users may find it rewarding to give feedback which helps shape the final release.

Will there ever be a final release version

Yep.

.. and what is the superseding version?

I'm not sure I follow this question?

Are we, as loyal customers, being treated like mere pawns in your seemingly fantasy ongoing playworld of Trainz development? I fancy the answer to that question is "yes"!

Nope.

chris

grazlash
September 3rd, 2018, 11:01 PM
Everybody who has TRS19 can access the beta versions if they so choose. We certainly aren't forcing people to be involved in the beta, but some users may find it fun to see what's going on, and some users may find it rewarding to give feedback which helps shape the final release.

chris
After the first week the initial gloss was stating to wear off, then I installed the latest beta and what a difference. Everything looks awesome, even reflection off polished floorboards on a model route and sun glittering off the rails on Sherman Hill - the stock rails, not PBR ones. It's really more like I imagined TRS19 was going to be. I've had more fun with TRS19 in 2 weeks than I had in 3 years with T:ANE. It's really that good.
cheers
Graeme

JCitron
September 3rd, 2018, 11:20 PM
After the first week the initial gloss was stating to wear off, then I installed the latest beta and what a difference. Everything looks awesome, even reflection off polished floorboards on a model route and sun glittering off the rails on Sherman Hill - the stock rails, not PBR ones. It's really more like I imagined TRS19 was going to be. I've had more fun with TRS19 in 2 weeks than I had in 3 years with T:ANE. It's really that good.
cheers
Graeme

I thought I was the only one! :D

Once the bugs are stomped, this is going to be one super program even better than we have now, and this isn't so bad either.

Tony_Hilliam
September 3rd, 2018, 11:33 PM
I've updated my intro post to clarify a few things.

PC_Ace
September 3rd, 2018, 11:59 PM
Shiny is nice - but some things (for example commodities like coal and woodchips) really don't need to glisten like silver and gold!
We need to be careful that gloss and sunlight reflections are appropriate for the material finish of the underlying asset and is not overdone.
My belief is that some basic commodities now need to be revisited and rebuilt - both to take advantage of the new PBR materials and best practice - but also to render them more lifelike and realistically than has hitherto been possible.
Lipstick on a pig doesn't necessarily look better just 'cos it's glossy and shiny!

Tony_Hilliam
September 4th, 2018, 01:12 AM
Having The PBR materials means that content creators have control over the amount of light reflected or not. So yes, as items are updated, they should look more realistic/lifelike.

pcas1986
September 4th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Did we get another patch today? My install said there was a patch and its 1.4GB.

PC_Ace
September 4th, 2018, 02:59 AM
pcas1986 - There was a 1.4Gb patch made available on Friday night ACT time which will take you to 96191 if you are keen to participate further in TRS2019 beta testing.
Another 3-step SP3 Hotfix 1 patch was offered for T:ANE as well.

HPL
September 4th, 2018, 03:06 AM
really don't need to glisten like silver and gold!

In KCS2, water towers (on their top), some wires (randomly), and almost everything in cabs of steam locos (C&O and USRA in version 4.6) glisten like diamonds! You really need to fix this: some rocks look like disco balls in a nightclub!

HPL
September 4th, 2018, 03:11 AM
ARN seems to work properly (it didn't for me in 96000), but train tab (clicking "Edit Trains" or pressing "F7") is still buggy as I reported (it sometimes appears when pressing "Escape").

Is there a way to activate once for all the HUD underlay? Each time I start or resume a session, I have to click on "Interface underlay" (and there's no shortcut).

"Has no Dependants" as a filter in Content Manager would be useful.

BN1970
September 12th, 2018, 01:04 PM
I have been beta testing for some months now, and have early access 96000 build. For some reason, I am not getting any beta updates past this build. I have looked at my streams, and what is selected as of now is "beta stream". Everthing else is either TANE or TMR or Public. I don't see any TS2019 Beta stream anymore. Any ideas on why it isn't there? Or do I need to purchase it now to get the updates?

Lewiscc65
September 12th, 2018, 01:47 PM
As far as I can tell you need to pay to Beta test now. I was also testing and the last time I went on it came back not authorized.

JCitron
September 12th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Have you tried changing from beta stream to early access stream?

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Looked at all the available streams, but no early access stream shows up.

shaneturner12
September 13th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Which version of TRS19 have you got? I can't see any mention of it on your timeline.

Shane

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Shane, I have Build 96000. Don't know why it doesn't show on my timeline, though.

JCitron
September 13th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Shane, I have Build 96000. Don't know why it doesn't show on my timeline, though.

Check My Trainz and downloads and you should see the early access build in there as a beta tester unless something changed.

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 04:23 PM
John, something must have changed, as there is no early access build in my downloads. I guess Tony decided to drop me from beta testing:confused:

shaneturner12
September 13th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Do you have a 'Download TRS19' on your MyTrainz page near the bottom? If not then it's a case of working out whether it's the $70 or the subscription method (and will probably need N3V assistance).

Shane

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Nope, not down there Shane! I still have the TRS2019 Installer in my files that was sent to me when I was beta testing. Maybe if I remove and reinstall the program it might reauthorize me?

shaneturner12
September 13th, 2018, 04:32 PM
If you've got the beta testing version you will need to install any patches to bring that up to date which may give you access to the TRS19 beta channel - if it doesn't you will need to ask N3V.

Shane

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I appreciate what you guys have tried to do, but I just gave in and bought the $70 program. (Too old to be having these headaches, lol)

clam1952
September 13th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Afraid it looks like the only way you can test TRS19 Beta is by buying Early Access in one form or another.
Early Access Beta, now finished, patches to Early Access after purchasing it, then if you choose to carry on testing, change to TRS19 Beta Stream and patch to the TRS19 beta, so you need to buy Early Access to get TRS19 Beta access.

Would have help if N3V made things a bit clearer ;o)

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Thank, Malc! Kinda figured that I would have to do it that way. Oh well, was planning on investing in it anyway, so I just had to bite the bullet and jump in the pool, lol.

BN1970
September 13th, 2018, 09:33 PM
OK...this is getting silly....bought the $70 program and did a fresh reinstall using it; it brought back build 96000 for me, and I was able to select the 'TS19 Early Access' stream. However, it refuses to find any patches available for it. Tried manually checking for available patches, and was told that 'no patches are available' for it. Any thoughts why the patches are not showing up?

JCitron
September 13th, 2018, 10:36 PM
OK...this is getting silly....bought the $70 program and did a fresh reinstall using it; it brought back build 96000 for me, and I was able to select the 'TS19 Early Access' stream. However, it refuses to find any patches available for it. Tried manually checking for available patches, and was told that 'no patches are available' for it. Any thoughts why the patches are not showing up?

It sometimes takes a bit of time, for lack of any technical term, for your account to sync up with the server. You should try again and choose early access as your download stream.

Also ensure you are in fact installing into the correct Trainz version. I made that mistake a few days ago and kept trying to update T:ANE instead of TRS2019 because the patcher decided to look there instead of in the TRS2019 folder.

If you are in fact pointing to the right Trainz version, give it a whirl and let us know the outcome.

JanRasmussen
September 14th, 2018, 02:18 AM
....I was able to select the 'TS19 Early Access' stream.

'TRS19 Early Access' is 96000 - choose 'TRS19 Beta'

If you can not select 'TRS19 Beta' you must contact Helpdesk.

ZikChil
September 21st, 2018, 10:00 AM
Over the weekend, beta build 96720 will be available via the TSR19 beta stream. This gives us an opportunity to discuss something that QA often helps users out via email - setting up multiple instances of the application. This is a good practice for maintaining the RELEASE BUILD and a BETA RELEASE ASSERTIONS BUILD independent of each other. There are many reasons this is a recommended practice, mostly based on developing and testing versus straight up “playing the game”. AKA - maintaining a degree of sanity and general mental well-being.

Please note that builds labeled as “RELEASE ASSERTIONS” on the launcher are BETA and not a final release. Expect changes to occur between releases. Expect assertions and exceptions to occur in beta releases. For this reason we recommend users backup the existing application & data directory prior to patching. This way you may easily roll back to a previous version without having to do extensive re-installing.

The recommended process for working between release and beta versions, and patching during beta (test) releases in general is:

Utilize two installations. For example have one installation that is the “release” version, that is the non-assertion public release (currently 96000). The second is the beta version, identified on the launcher by the “release assertions” label (currently 96191). These would reside in two separate application folders, have two separate data folders, and two unique shortcuts on the desktop clearly labeled in order to tell them apart.

When creating data directories, provide a clear and understandable name, like “public” and “beta”. This way you can tell which is which at a glance and not have to deal with the machine name the application creates by default.

Backup and archive your work regularly. The best time to do this when working on content is when you have reached a milestone and generally at the end of the work day. You can do this by making a copy of the entire data directory or exporting to CDP.

The intent of this process is to afford the creator a stable unchanging "play-test" platform and some redundancy that safeguards against changes in the application affecting content creation. Developing content in any beta means the user is accepting some risk as there is no guarantee from build to build that the application will remain unchanged.

For more info on moving\creating data folders please go here (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content).

PC_Ace
September 21st, 2018, 08:59 PM
Downloaded and installed beta build 96720 - just a 22 Mb patch which completed quickly.
First thing you'll notice is the changes to the Track Profile Options that now show Gradients (%) and enabling you to disable the spooky animated driver images to the left of the profile (These are still animated in the Driver List, however).
Yet further evidence that the Good Folks at N3V are indeed listening to their Early Access customers!:)
First run on a test session looked great, but ended in a CTD that I now need to troubleshoot and bug-report.

All performance and visual quality parameters and settings were retained.

Thanks for the heads-up, ZikChil - I used the opportunity to back up my previous beta build to another drive in anticipation, so when it became available, I was up and running straight away.

JCitron
September 21st, 2018, 09:41 PM
I just installed myself and had a route's menu lock up. I shutdown all other parts of TRS19, meaning the launcher and content manager, and ended up using task manager to kill the routes menu because that was frozen with no mouse response. When I checked task manager, there was no activity at all with the TRS19 application.

I'm running a DBR and will try to repeat the issue so I can determine what caused the interface lockup.

PC_Ace
September 21st, 2018, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately I'm still experiencing multiple CTDs running many of my sessions involving the new CSX locos heading up consists.
If you watch the logfiles on a 2nd monitor during session runtime, there is an enormous stream of error messages relating to:

; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Cannot find asset '<kuid2:45324:100247:2> "CSX C40-8W yn2 (ex-CR)"' in scene.

And:

- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_dot' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_4' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_5' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_6' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'
- <NULL> MeshObject::SetFXTextureReplacement> effect 'rear_num_7' not found on asset '<kuid2:45324:90314:4> "GE wide cab mechanism t5"'

And:

; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Asset '<kuid2:45324:100139:16> "SP SD45"' does not have attachment point 'a.bog1' or is not currently loaded.
; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Cannot find asset '<kuid2:45324:100139:16> "SP SD45"' in scene.
; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Asset '<kuid2:45324:100339:2> "CSX GP40-2 YN3"' does not have attachment point 'a.bog1' or is not currently loaded.
; <NULL> World.NativePlaySound> Cannot find asset '<kuid2:45324:100339:2> "CSX GP40-2 YN3"' in scene.

There are nearly 2,000 lines of such entries generated in the space of just 4 or 5 minutes of runtime before the CTD occurs.
Replacing the locos generating these error messages helps (but is hardly a long-term fix).
There's still an occasional annoying and unnecessary ~5 minute wait looking at the large Rocky Mountaineer splash screen before any saved - or unsaved - session returns from Driver mode to the Surveyor Session List.

JCitron
September 21st, 2018, 11:18 PM
PC_Ace

I think you might be chasing a red herring here. I have the same locomotive and run it all the time, and have for sometime. I've also seen those same errors in TS12 and in T:ANE and have not had those crashes.

So before you drive yourself crazy here, I would let this one go for now and check for something else first.

PC_Ace
September 21st, 2018, 11:38 PM
Thanks John.
Still checking out a lot of different angles here...
These locos and sessions ran for hours on end without the need for intervention prior to the last beta 96191.
No changes have been made to the original sessions (that worked).
I'm now testing variants of newly created sessions in an attempt to narrow down the cause of these persistent CTDs.

JCitron
September 21st, 2018, 11:58 PM
Thanks John.
Still checking out a lot of different angles here...

Good luck with that.

I've come across a couple of weird things. The Forest-series billboard trees render invisibly, and I received an assertion error during a drive. I've got the screenshots and will write those up and off they'll go.

chris2001trainz2010
September 22nd, 2018, 12:06 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but PBR textures in 2019 are buggy as all hell. It's kind of hard to describe the issue, so i recorded this short video showing off the problems i've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id9smW56yew

PBR textures on sharp edges are completely broken, and the textures don't like water at all. Something tells me very little beta-testing was done on these textures, as these problems are present on the Content Samples route, and have been present since Build 96000.

JCitron
September 22nd, 2018, 12:24 AM
Yes. I complained about this in the beginning, early access days, and my bug report went unnoticed or ignored.

You've got a clear gel over the PBR textures that is apparent when the angle is steep. At the time, I didn't notice the water, but I think it's related to that issue as well. My brother explained the issue, but I can't remember exactly what it is now.

Overall I think textures stink in this version, ie TRS19 in general, and need to write up a complete post and report about it. The older textures look as if they've been printed on card stock and the PBR are encased in jelly.

chris2001trainz2010
September 22nd, 2018, 05:59 AM
I mean, i really like the PBR textures. They're not perfect, but they're better than just having a flat texture to use. But if they're this broken, then there's no reason to use them.

I'm getting sick of having to say "hopefully this is fixed by the Public Release", cause a lot of this stuff is really easy to spot. Makes me think no one is really "testing" this game.

martinvk
September 22nd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Likewise, when I paint some of the PBR textures on steep surfaces, various parts look like lava flowing when the view angle changes as I drive by. The intent might have been good but some of the results leave a lot to be desired. I really hope this is resolved before it goes public because otherwise the laughter will be deafening.
Downloading the latest 411.63 nvidia driver in case that helps.

HPL
September 22nd, 2018, 01:56 PM
various parts look like lava flowing when the view angle changes

I have reported this issue in another thread but had no answer.

shaneturner12
September 22nd, 2018, 01:57 PM
HPL - have you also reported it via the official bug reporting form?

Shane

coble12
September 22nd, 2018, 03:34 PM
I have reported this issue in another thread but had no answer.

They did answer. With a (summarized) 'live with it or don't use those textures.' :n:

martinvk
September 22nd, 2018, 04:10 PM
Something bad happened. After updating the GPU driver to 411.63, I restarted TRS19. Clicked Start Trainz from Launcher, just a splash screen and a twirly. Closed and did a database rebuild. That took a long time but finally completed. Tried to load Trainz from the Launcher and again a long time, including a precache failed message.
Finally the main screen half loaded, still waiting for the Environment loading, please wait message.
Don't know it its me or 96720 but this is not working very well.

martinvk
September 22nd, 2018, 04:28 PM
Has really gone off the rails for me. Took almost five minutes for a session to open in edit and all I got was some weird distorted baseboards. Tried to Exit Game and everything just froze. Boy, Task Master and I are becoming close friends.

JCitron
September 22nd, 2018, 06:52 PM
Something bad happened. After updating the GPU driver to 411.63, I restarted TRS19. Clicked Start Trainz from Launcher, just a splash screen and a twirly. Closed and did a database rebuild. That took a long time but finally completed. Tried to load Trainz from the Launcher and again a long time, including a precache failed message.

Finally the main screen half loaded, still waiting for the Environment loading, please wait message.
Don't know it its me or 96720 but this is not working very well.

I had a similar message on exit with the previous graphics driver so I don't think its related to the update.

martinvk
September 22nd, 2018, 08:31 PM
So perhaps the session / route was corrupted. Made a new clone of Content Samples #1, added some extra baseboards, placed two track loops using the same track as the samples uses, added some trackmarks and signals. Then after giving the driver his instructions, went for a ride. Wanted to return to Surveyor to make a few changes and ended up staring at the splash screen for several minutes. When it finally returned to Surveyor, ugh, the distorted view returned.
Overview. Not even all the baseboards are shown. As I zoom out, more appear
http://doei.ca/images-trainz/TRS2019_96720 return to surveyor2.JPG

Closeup of the original core baseboard
http://doei.ca/images-trainz/TRS2019_96720 return to surveyor3.JPG
Also couldn't exit normally, had to call on my friend Task manager again.

Bug report submitted

martinvk
September 22nd, 2018, 09:56 PM
Went back to 96000, recreated the above situation, (clone, track, etc) and had no issues exiting Surveyor.

PC_Ace
September 23rd, 2018, 02:58 AM
The exit to Surveyor issue following saving your work first arose during the beta build 96191 and has unfortunately persisted into 96720.

JCitron
September 23rd, 2018, 10:19 AM
I have had successful returns to the main menu, but CTDs upon exit. I reported the latter.

cashaber
October 21st, 2018, 12:07 AM
ok how do I update my stream to the beta?. I see update stream in my Launcher but that only refers to my data folder for TRS19

PC_Ace
October 21st, 2018, 01:33 AM
Go to Trainz Settings from the Launcher.
Go to the Install tab and click on Change the Trainz update stream.
At first, it will prompt you for the installation you wish to update (i.e. your TRS2019 program executable folder) - then it will check your log-in credentials.
Complete those tasks and you will then be presented with a command button allowing you to change the patch stream from your current one...
Keep going and choose the TRS19 Beta option!

btvfd
November 11th, 2018, 03:56 PM
I noticed a lot of broken items now once I transferred a route from TANE to TRS19, they are mostly built in items made by Auran. You would think these items would already be fixed for newer game versions.

Anyway hope they fix them soon.

SailorDan
November 11th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I noticed a lot of broken items now once I transferred a route from TANE to TRS19, they are mostly built in items made by Auran.
If you transfer items that are built-in for TANE to TRS19 they will be broken. Any built-in items from previous versions are already in TRS19 as Base or Built-in, or are available on the DLS for download. If you have already transferred built-in items into TRS19 then you should revert them to original: that will fix most of them. Delete the remainder and download them.