PDA

View Full Version : 1st impressions

mrjunction
August 24th, 2018, 12:26 PM
So the absolute 1st thing I noticed was the creepy animated drivers! I find them dis-concerting,and I am not a fan. Not even a little teeny tiny bit. I also think that colors are washed out and not as vibrant. So far I'm not finding this version to be "groundbreaking".

Alco_P-A
August 24th, 2018, 12:40 PM
The picture quality seems a bit too bright. Is there any way to adjust the brightness and contrast?

shaneturner12
August 24th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I wonder if that's something that can be dealt with by way of the environment controls (from memory some had to reset theirs with T:ANE).

Shane

charlie3577
August 24th, 2018, 01:17 PM
So you prefer the old drivers? These new drivers look more real.

Paul_Bert
August 24th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I think they are creepy. One old man driver looks like he just arose out of the grave. I think the animation is annoying.

mrjunction
August 24th, 2018, 02:14 PM
So the animated CG zombies look more real? Maybe spend more time/money on updated content. Not to knock Tume for his Milw Rd content,but the Little joe is straight outta TRS2004

KotangaGirl
August 24th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I thought one of the S&C drivers looked a bit shifty. The animated drivers were a surprise though, but I guess I'll get used to them. Initial impressions were that it all looked a bit like t'other simulator, but I haven't really set the graphics up properly yet.

ColPrice2002
August 24th, 2018, 02:48 PM
You can use "edit environment" from the main menu;
I can't remember if you need to edit the route ( though you can now clone any route), but reduce the fog fog and the brightness for each of the buttons around the clock.

This is one of the big differences between TS19 and previous versions...

Colin

hminky
August 24th, 2018, 03:12 PM
You think the drivers are creepy now, you should have seen the first ones in closed beta.

Guys out of a 2004 zombie game.

Harold

CaseyBerg
August 24th, 2018, 04:24 PM
The music is very soothing. Keep nodding off while downloading assets.:sleep:

KotangaGirl
August 24th, 2018, 04:38 PM
The brightness is an issue; - in both the S&C routes and the Australian routes the landscape was dazzlingly bright. One small happy plus is that for the first time I drove an engine using the big girl controls and not DCC and I didn't stall on any gradients or overshot stops at platforms. My dear old engine driver grandad will be smiling down at me from the big engine shed in the sky.

clam1952
August 24th, 2018, 04:50 PM
The brightness is an issue; - in both the S&C routes and the Australian routes the landscape was dazzlingly bright. One small happy plus is that for the first time I drove an engine using the big girl controls and not DCC and I didn't stall on any gradients or overshot stops at platforms. My dear old engine driver grandad will be smiling down at me from the big engine shed in the sky.

Environmental setting, start with the new brightness slider, the vertical slider bottom right click one of the blobs on the clock relevant to the time of day and tweak away.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/GNsVyV.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poGNsVyVj)

Instructions here, they need updating a bit as the brightness slider is missing and the settings are more applicable to TANE http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools

KotangaGirl
August 24th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Thank you very kindly Malc. I shall have a go with that next time I start up TS2019.

Tony_Hilliam
August 24th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Even better- try out this Environment and Lighting Tutorial (https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl)and let us know what you think.

clam1952
August 24th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Even better- try out this Environment and Lighting Tutorial (https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl)and let us know what you think.

Thanks Tony, I couldn't find that one, knew it was somewhere.

Roy3b3
August 24th, 2018, 07:42 PM

Extremely helpful, thank you so much.

Cheers,
Roy

mrjunction
August 24th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks Tony. I tinkered with it. Have yet to try in game.

KotangaGirl
August 24th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Yes that tutorial was a big help, - thanks Tony.

pware
August 24th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Instructions here, they need updating a bit as the brightness slider is missing and the settings are more applicable to TANE http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools

I have now updated the Wiki at the address above to include the new slider.

pware
August 25th, 2018, 03:06 AM
Well I am very much impressed. Just took my first run on Kickstarter Country while watching the GPU temperature and performance stats. The GPU (a GTX 1050ti) maxed out its load on a few occasions but the temperature never got above 71C which the laptop's cooling system easily handled.

I love the new Driver interface - all that screen real estate that was previously taken away for control bars and instrumentation has nearly all been reclaimed without losing the control bars and instrumentation. The "track ahead" detail showing the signal states, speed restrictions and gradients for a few miles ahead is a great idea - a suggestion for the future, add the ability to switch junctions ahead (where possible).

The animated driver icons were a bit unnerving at first but after a while they started to look like they actually belonged. It took me a little while to work out the driver control tools (driver selection, etc) but I quickly got the hang of it.

My partner loves the animated scenery cows. Her assessment:-

"they are cute"
It is going to be hard going back to TANE SP3 on my desktop.

Well done N3V - ignore the "knockers".

PC_Ace
August 25th, 2018, 03:30 AM
pware - You can, indeed, switch junctions ahead now from the track profile. Try it and see...

pware
August 25th, 2018, 03:33 AM
pware - You can, indeed, switch junctions ahead now from the track profile. Try it and see...

Wow - Heaven:clap:

Edit: Found it. The track profile settings icon just above the driver icon opens up the control menu.

Yorkshire
August 25th, 2018, 03:42 AM
Well after 24 hours and Shane helping me to sort out a problem importing my routes from TANE (a texture issue), I must say that I personally very much like it. I think the Brew Team have done a really good job. I like the interface and menu format. Very functional, fresh and good to work with. Can see me going over completely to this from TANE & TR2017. Sure there will be some issues, there always has been with Trainz since I started at the very beginning (2001 I think), but they will get sorted and I think it provides us with a great platform whatever our particular genre - mine has been on the Modelz Rly for the past 2 years. Still quite a bit for me to discover - I found the lighting tutorial very helpful, but that's the journey.

Yorkshire

virvada
August 25th, 2018, 06:04 AM
You can, indeed, switch junctions ahead now from the track profile. Try it and see...
Tried this but it doesn't seem to work for me.:confused:

PC_Ace
August 25th, 2018, 06:29 AM
I went back and did the same (not working either) - and now recall that this functionality stopped working during one of the recent Early Access betas.
It evidently hasn't been fixed since, but there were bug reports submitted and a statement from QA that they would reinstate the ability to switch junctions SoonTM.
Apologise for putting you crook on this matter (for now...)

Roy3b3
August 25th, 2018, 06:52 AM
One of the first impressions I noticed was in Session Mode. I started a new baseboard with a portal and some track laid; I then edited the session and added Central Portal Control.

On editing that, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to read it clearly. No more black text on a dark-blue background.

Thank you for making this so much easier to read. This will speed up any editing that needs to be done.

Cheers,
Roy
https://s33.postimg.cc/ebaax66kf/Session.jpg

celje
August 25th, 2018, 06:54 AM

what to do to make the light of a street lamp actually illuminate a passing train

virvada
August 25th, 2018, 07:34 AM
I went back and did the same (not working either) - and now recall that this functionality stopped working during one of the recent Early Access betas.
It evidently hasn't been fixed since, but there were bug reports submitted and a statement from QA that they would reinstate the ability to switch junctions SoonTM.
Apologise for putting you crook on this matter (for now...)

No problem. I finding that my frame rates in Kickstarter 2019 are far better than with T:ANE and that it runs (albeit with a degree of jerkiness) with shadows, TurfFX and Clutter despite my low spec GPU (new one planned).

martinvk
August 25th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Went ahead and bought the stand alone version. Already have a lifetime FCT and very little DLC interests me.
After some self inflicted pain, TRS19 is up and running. I like to install on another drive (E: in my case) and while the installer puts the main program files there, it still insists on putting the user files in my C: ... apps data ... . ugh. Moved it all to an appropriate place on E:. Next, in order to keep all of the work I did during the beta phase, I brought those files over to the new 96000 build too. After a database rebuild, everything was ready to go.

Opened the route Content Samples #1, added a track and engine to visit each section and went for a ride. Wow, with all of the sliders maxed, everything looks gorgeous as I pass from one section to another. The ground textures especially. They really make the scenery come alive. Congratulations on a work well done. Being a native TRS19 route, there was no need to fiddle with the environment settings.

Next I opened an existing session from a TRS2014 route and, it works but sure is ugly. The ground textures and those old trees, :eek:. The question is, will the work involved to upgrade the route and most of the contents be worth the effort? If it was one of my favorites perhaps but a run of the mill test route, not really. Better spend the time creating new and improved routes.

The new driver UI is very nice, lots of info but not intrusive, especially once the Interface underlay is activated and the interface height is reduced to 25%. Your monitor might need a different %.

chris2001trainz2010
August 25th, 2018, 08:32 AM
It's decent.

pagroove
August 25th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Next I opened an existing session from a TRS2014 route and, it works but sure is ugly. The ground textures and those old trees, :eek:. The question is, will the work involved to upgrade the route and most of the contents be worth the effort? I%.

And this is what I find annoying with each upgraded version of Trainz. I myself have just finished upgrading my Electro Island Route to TANE SP3 version. I have just started to make sessions for it. Testing that takes up a LOT of time. So now we got TRS19. I will probably step in like MartinVK with a basic version without DLC at a certain time.

But probably making my route again TRS19 worthy is something I look forward to with mixed feelings. On the one hand it is fantastic to see your route benefit from graphic overhauls but on the other hand it costs a lot of time that you want to spend on building new routes or working on routes that aren't finished.

So at the moment I look at this release with interest. I am not 100% convinced that I need all those very detailed grass and bush things except on the slower portions of my route. My route is more about the max draw distance (That I am used to now) and High speed. And a high speed route should have a good frame rate or else the illusion is spoiled.

On the other hand I am of course very curious on how it performs in relation with TANE SP3. ;).

kin3
August 25th, 2018, 08:56 AM
I just love it. The graphics are great. The only thing I would like to see track grade% in driver.

mrjunction
August 26th, 2018, 11:17 AM
So the animated CG zombies look more real? Maybe spend more time/money on updated content. Not to knock Tume for his Milw Rd content,but the Little joe is straight outta TRS2004
So my Milw Rd. content comment is not correct,as I believe it was downloaded into TRS 2019 because I have it in T:ane. Not sure that it actually comes with 2019? I do like the steam effects (from Steam Locos), but there is a weird layered effect as the steam envelopes the train traveling through it.(not sure how else to describe it). Another thing I noticed is a much smoother ballast to scenery transition. Much more realistic looking!
-

martinvk
August 26th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I like the trail of dust that a high speed train leaves in its wake. Really makes it seem as if train has just sped by. Nice touch.

JCitron
August 26th, 2018, 12:07 PM
So my Milw Rd. content comment is not correct,as I believe it was downloaded into TRS 2019 because I have it in T:ane. Not sure that it actually comes with 2019? I do like the steam effects (from Steam Locos), but there is a weird layered effect as the steam envelopes the train traveling through it.(not sure how else to describe it). Another thing I noticed is a much smoother ballast to scenery transition. Much more realistic looking!
-

Not necessarily. N3V is prepping and making available routes that were included with T:ANE. The MILW route is one of them with others as well such as the Nittertalbahn and others. Since you have T:ANE Deluxe, you should also have the model railroad routes as well such as Franklin Industrial, Brazemore Yard, and others.

What we are still missing though is some built-in T:ANE assets, which will be available hopefully soon. There was mention somewhere about stuff being ready next week.

I agree on the ballast and the texture blending overall. It's refreshing to see textures that finally match so there's no glaring line between them.

Paul_Bert
August 26th, 2018, 12:54 PM
All in all TRS2019 has been an easy transition form TANE. This is the first time in a long time that the new edition supports everything that worked in the previous edition. It was really painful migrating to TANE from previous editions due to all the faulty assets and the migration to the newer version of speedtrees. So far every route and session that I had in TANE works in TRS 2019. Even those that had been originally developed in TRS 2004.

I have noticed that some of the textures probably need to be replaced due to the fact that the method of lighting has changed so some experimentation will be needed to find the right textures. It was probably time to do this anyway. Its good we have the asset replacement tool which can handle a lot of this work.

robd
August 26th, 2018, 01:50 PM
It's just too expensive at the moment both for the subscription version and the standalone versions, it's at a top end price for not so top end software! Let it come down in price and then I might, just might, consider it!

That's my first and overall impression!

Rob.

DavidPistelak
August 26th, 2018, 02:07 PM
The game crashes when loading instructions and information in the map editor and train management. :o Graphic and audio is good, but I would recommend that the sidebar in the editor be increased so that it is not so small at high resolution.

skybluerob
August 26th, 2018, 04:37 PM
I'm fairly new to Tranz, but I'm enjoying the new version so far.

The content management takes a bit of getting used to, but I think that's because there's a lot available (I'd previously purchased the TANE platinum pack, so a lot of content was loaded in one go).

There are also a lot of other areas to get used to, but I'm a newbie to the Trainz program.

However, I've spent far longer than I should have playing it. I like the graphics, although it's very demanding on my PC, which is a good gaming PC. However, I have everything on ultra and the turf settings switched on, but it all looks really good in the Kickstarter County 2.

I look forward to playing more of it, I've had a few derailments so far, but over time I'll remember to set the switches properly, I hope.

Rob.

ARhian7
August 26th, 2018, 05:36 PM
The animated animals are brilliant! The cow and horse with their swishing tail are great as they look like they are actually chasing the flies away as in real life. The piglet is so cute.
When listening to the stormy weather felt the need to put on a rain coat as I began to "feel" the damp chill lol, and we have thunder! :mop:

narrowgauge
August 27th, 2018, 10:16 PM
I like it! The routes I have tried seem to work well with very little missing content pain and apparently no increased demands on my mid range computer.

I'm not happy about the new animated drivers, it seems that they are the originals with new images, which is a little disconcerting. One male driver comes up with female features. All the DHR drivers have been changed. If I find the originals, can they be changed back? We also need a blank driver, just no image at all.

Peter

pware
August 27th, 2018, 10:22 PM
One male driver comes up with female features.

That's a somewhat disappointing anti trans-gender sentiment. They are allowed to be train drivers too!:)

Alco_P-A
August 27th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Been playing with 2019 and building a route in it. The A1 people are a bit zombie looking. Should be like new era people and look a little more human.

narrowgauge
August 27th, 2018, 11:59 PM
That's a somewhat disappointing anti trans-gender sentiment. They are allowed to be train drivers too

I am completely at ease about trans-gender changes, it is an individuals choice. In this case, as it was involuntary, there are strong grounds for complaint and perhaps a law suit.

Peter

ZecMurphy
August 28th, 2018, 12:28 AM
Hi All
For older driver characters, these will be given an automatic (random) driver mesh to display in-game so as to ensure consistency with other TRS19 driver characters.

We will be improving the driver characters feature over time, and we are looking into tags for male/female driver characters (so as to specify which of the random mesh options will be selected), as well as new animations and models in future.

In the mean time, you can create your own driver characters at build 4.6 and specify your own models (with or without animation) and this should ensure that only your chosen driver model is shown.

Regards

JCitron
August 28th, 2018, 12:29 AM
I don't like the new zombie drivers either, and I agree. There's nothing wrong with transgender, but Ami becoming an old bald man, or Cameron becoming a blond female? It doesn't look right and add in the moving heads and the blinking eyes and they're creepy.

A preference to turn off the driver images would be perfect, or perhaps go back to the original 2d "photos" would be great.

pware
August 28th, 2018, 12:52 AM
I don't like the new zombie drivers either ... A preference to turn off the driver images would be perfect, or perhaps go back to the original 2d "photos" would be great.

The option to use them or the originals would be my preference.

narrowgauge
August 28th, 2018, 01:33 AM
A preference to turn off the driver images would be perfect

I will second that. All it needs is a blank version or perhaps something other than a human image.

Peter

heimdall
August 28th, 2018, 07:20 AM
I never liked the old driver images, so I see the changes in a positive way, if not quite there yet.

In the mean time, you can create your own driver characters at build 4.6 and specify your own models (with or without animation) and this should ensure that only your chosen driver model is shown.

The above quote mentioned creating our own driver characters, are there any instructions on how to do this, as I haven't found any and i would rather like to try and create some of my own.

pware
August 28th, 2018, 07:49 AM
... are there any instructions on how to do this, as I haven't found any and i would rather like to try and create some of my own.

That's a good question and I would like to know the answer as well.

I opened one the TRS19 driver icon assets (at least I think that is what it was - it was the only thing installed named "Wazza") and the icon seemed to be encoded in a file called "driver64.texture". I thought that the preferred format for all images in Trainz was one of JPG, BMP. TGA or PNG but placed in a text container that, in this case, would be named "driver64.texture.txt".

shaneturner12
August 28th, 2018, 08:05 AM
.texture files are compressed files that Trainz creates during the commit process or part of built-in assets - not sure whether those files are compatible with Images2TGA or anything similar.

Shane

pware
August 28th, 2018, 08:11 AM
.texture files are compressed files that Trainz creates during the commit process or part of built-in assets

Yes, but I thought that they were phasing out the compressed .texture image format and were insisting that content creators use the .texture.txt file format instead. If this is not the case then we will need the means and rules for creating the [precursor] images used in the .texture files and there is nothing in the TRS19 or Trainz documentation on the wiki that I can find on this.

shaneturner12
August 28th, 2018, 08:17 AM
They are for the source images but they still get converted to .texture as part of the compile/commit process (probably to save space). They are formed from the source image plus the relevant .texture.txt file.

Shane

WindWalkr
August 28th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Yes, but I thought that they were phasing out the compressed .texture image format and were insisting that content creators use the .texture.txt file format instead. If this is not the case then we will need the means and rules for creating the [precursor] images used in the .texture files and there is nothing in the TRS19 or Trainz documentation on the wiki that I can find on this.

*.texture.txt files (and the associated images) are supplied by the creator.
*.texture files are supplied by CM, derived from the *.texture.txt files in a build-specific fashion.

chris

pware
August 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Thank you for that Chris. It answers my question nicely.

The above quote [from Zec] mentioned creating our own driver characters, are there any instructions on how to do this, as I haven't found any and i would rather like to try and create some of my own.

There is a tutorial on the Trainz wiki on how to create message popup icons at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Create_a_Message_Popup_Icon that should/may work. I suspect from my examination of the driver icon assets in TRS19 that the icons may be 64 x 64 pixel images as used in message popup icons. You would need to alter the config.txt file from that used in the tutorial - look at the structure of one of the driver icon config.txt file for some clues. I will give this a go myself when (if) I get some time.

EDIT: I can report that the method used to create Message Popup Icons does not work for driver character icons (non animated) in TRS19.

The following errors were produced on committing.

; <kuid:45176:100074> Validating <kuid:45176:100074>
- <kuid:45176:100074> VE30: The tag 'face-texture' in 'drivercharacter' refers to a nonexistent file: 'lillian.texture'.
- <kuid:45176:100074> VE30: The tag 'image' in '0' refers to a nonexistent file: 'lillian.texture'.

EDIT 2: I managed to get the new driver asset to commit without any errors and it appears in the driver setup list complete with icon. But in Driver when you select the new driver all you get is one of the stock standard driver icons with the name you have supplied.

I think I will leave this one until more information is available.

Davie_UCF
August 28th, 2018, 09:28 AM
I just love it. The graphics are great. The only thing I would like to see track grade% in driver.

Ah is this missing? Shame. Hopefully there's a way to turn it on?

clam1952
August 28th, 2018, 11:40 AM

Not yet however it was mentioned as being missing in the beta, fingers crossed!

mrjunction
August 28th, 2018, 06:08 PM
From this point,I hope it's a first step towards a usable CTC (Centralized Traffic Control) dispatcher window( either above or below the main window) where you could scroll ahead and line up sidings and junctions just like the real thing.A grade profile could be added into this window. This would add a whole other dimension to a Sim I've been fascinated with since 2004. I am (of course) talking about the Trainz franchise. Randy

chris2001trainz2010
August 28th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Copy-and-paste from Trainz.net.

--------

For me, TRS19 runs slightly worse than T:ANE, but i'm willing to chalk this up to poor optimization. It is still in Beta, afterall...i'm gonna be making that excuse a lot, it seems.

The game retains a lot of problems introduced in T:ANE SP2. I've made this abundantly clear over on the Church, so i won't repeat myself here. But a lot of things have, in fact, been changed for the better, like the updated sound effects. Trying to go over everything would take quite a while.

A lot of people also criticise the $70 pricetag for the base game, but that doesn't take into account that, if you own T:ANE and/or TMR17, you get all of the built-in routes from those games ported to TRS19 for free. Honestly, that's a great idea. It just sucks that most built-in T:ANE / TMR17 routes are straight-up garbage...as is Kickstarter County 2.

KC2, the only TRS19 route currently available is just garbage. The trackwork is disgusting, the scenery is terrible, and the performance if average at best. It's a terrible route.

The fact that you can freely edit the built-in routes from T:ANE, TMR2017, and TS2019 is truly great. However, the fact that ex-T:ANE built-in sessions are broken dilutes that praise quite a bit.

Most people on the Church refuse to criticize the game itself. This is why we don't use the Church to form an opinion a Trainz product. Unfortunately, the only way to do that is to buy it for yourself.

The subscription service is assinine. Don't buy into it. If you do plan on getting TRS19, buy the $70 standard game and just get a yearly FCT every year like i do.

TRS19, so far, is decent. Not amazing, not bad, but decent. The built-in content is still horridly out of date, and some bugs from T:ANE SP2 are still present and unnacounted for, but the game has a lot of new features that i think saves it from being a "bad" game.

I dunno...prolly a "6/10" all things considered. Gotta have a numerical score in there for posterity, i guess.

pware
August 28th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I agree with Chris on some of his criticisms - the great graphics are often nullified by the heavy use of older assets in layouts (I plead guilty here). I suspect that this will be a negative for some time until all available content is brought up to TRS19, or at least TANE standard with the use of LODs and the elimination of all low resolution assets. The only alternative would have been to make a complete break with anything pre TANE - and if you thought that the complaints about having a subscription option for those who wanted it were bad enough, this alternative would have started wildfires.

As for performance, TRS19 runs as well or even better on my two computers, as TANE does. I have successfully and easily imported one of my major TANE projects into TRS19 and it looks even better that it does in TANE. Another project from my TRS2006 days imports without problems but is requiring more work to update the assets to TANE standards.

As for the subscription issue, each person can make their own decision based on their own needs and resources. If I was heavily into using DLC assets then I would be tempted. As I am not a big user of DLC then the $70 purchase option is the one I selected.

Overall, I am impressed with TRS19 and am looking forward to what future updates will bring.

I give it an 8/10 but hoping that this will improve.

chris2001trainz2010
August 28th, 2018, 09:02 PM
I agree with Chris on some of his criticisms - the great graphics are often nullified by the heavy use of older assets in layouts (I plead guilty here). I suspect that this will be a negative for some time until all available content is brought up to TRS19, or at least TANE standard with the use of LODs and the elimination of all low resolution assets. The only alternative would have been to make a complete break with anything pre TANE - and if you thought that the complaints about having a subscription option for those who wanted it were bad enough, this alternative would have started wildfires.

Truly, the over-reliance on assets from TS2010 and earlier is TRS2019's biggest downfall. That much is obvious. However, i will hold off on criticizing TRS2019's content selection until the full game is released.

That's the problem with judging a beta version of a game. It's incomplete, and many of its issues will be (or at least, should be) solved throughout the beta-testing period.

Pug
August 28th, 2018, 09:53 PM

One of the ways to show a % grade is to use pguy's Quick Custom HUD. It has many options available in the display.

https://rhkjiq.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mHkn8mYRyxMf0RNgvX4XjbmxnJ4MHRCXcb52jUJepCSqR82-Llv2GpFTfUo_ls60N-niqbiqCjYztKZ0ad1QtLa037jH9IW9lZ1F6iVpf50nmta57zdv KQ1SW6nCZl3skxlfgd838nBGo2pDLHxHUHckgR0RHJhAM36Bg6 mv8ng107OFwY-5K3i8uJmXSVnkMPJiGh55RS67aE95ZFbwhBQ?width=676&height=957&cropmode=none https://rhlufa.ch.files.1drv.com/y4m9k4On6lyf_bTZbnIOZKT7AkUxcNbS1J3vgfU57zsgNc7G89 8E7GkthZgvgG3iZCq9BJ-KaRDqKJpE2l68aDqZKB216eG4fiSciP4BB2OxV8EI2ONawr9HB G4i6ujq5TjKiNJ_9OadB99tQWMDj964xcOy904jrXdnBEWFuG3 yVqiREBR7o_bi5s2Q2Mn9p5mvXKYBTawJXXtIk2a7t0OSg?wid th=225&height=583&cropmode=none

Vern
August 29th, 2018, 11:59 AM
First impressions are mixed, though this is only based on the install/setup and a bit of time in Surveyor, not done much driving.

Well the executable is a 7.6Gb file which means WinZip chokes on it so you will need to use 7Zip or similar to extract the installer.

Install and setup almost identical to TANE. Note, if you change the location where your local files are stored as with TANE this resets all the user settings back to default, so you need to enter your Trainz log in, graphics settings, number of daily backups etc. again.

The interface is... different and seems to be influenced by the DTG menus to some extent. I do like the fact there is a visual indication that installed routes have missing assets or errors. Not so impressed that some of the DLC automatically downloaded was showing missing assets.

Content Manager - same interface as TANE. Note the old bug of not downloading sub-dependencies seems to be back. On installing my Highland Link and Water Of Coate routes I had to relist the dependencies and force a second download run to get them to acquire. Incidentally, trying to multi-task within TRS19 while downloading not a good idea. I was trying to load up a route for a quickdrive while the DLC and some DLS items were downloading, fans howling like a banshee and CPU/GPU temps spiking. The route never loaded. Had the same issue once in Surveyor and Alt-Tabbed out to grab some items.

Surveyor, h'mmm. Luckily once downloading had ceased fans and temperatures returned to normal. Movement is a bit more sluggish than in TANE but I accept on the laptop I'm probably going to have to kill the settings a bit more. Starting with a 50 mile 14 board wide Transdem route probably not the best first attempt either. Functionality is pretty much the same as before but there are a few issues with textures and terrain, some of which may have been present in TANE:

After a certain time editing, terrain changes or texture painting does not render on screen. After saving the route they then appeared but only a few minutes later the problem repeated.
Smoothing terrain around track splines seems to be leaving rough edges or gaps, not so fine as before - hard to describe.
Certain terrain textures are now showing a gloss sheen in certain angles, notably Malc's textures and some of the Ultra set - bit of a bummer as these are some of the best textures with which to decorate a route. Some of Mason Taylor's textures unfortunately still pant with the checkerboard effect as encountered in TANE.

I'm about to install on the main PC and see how things look from the driving perspective but at the moment my first impression is definitely TANE+ or TANE 2 but we'll see how it goes.

ish6
August 29th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Hello Everyone --

i've been reading this thread, and it seems to me that TR2019 feels like TANE 2 like Vern said above, then a new completed trainz sim! Also, from reading around the forum it seems that the biggest leap has been graphics! --- If I'm wrong from what I have read from community's opinions by all means correct me!

I, myself, have made dozens and dozens of suggestions at the suggestion box thread through the years, and these suggestions are reasonable, meaning they could work within the Trainz main frame; And I'm yet to see one suggestion, except for the multiplayer surveyor, which I haven't read anything about in trainz 2019 (does it exist?)!

We'll see down the road -- Perhaps SPs can add more interesting features, like what happened with Trainz 04. Etc

Kind Regards
Ish

Vern
August 29th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Well the shiny terrain seems to be affecting more textures than just those mentioned above. Even the "new" PBR variations seem to be afflicted by it. Maybe there is something that needs to be adjusted in post performance to reduce the artefact or maybe it doesn't manifest in Driver, but it's more than a bit annoying.

Edit:

A bit more experimentation and the issue seems to be with the lighting. The same texture can look almost pitch black on one side of a hill, then washed out on the other. Apart from the aesthetics, makes it hard to see what the "average" effect or colour of the mix you're making looks like.

Davie_UCF
August 29th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Well the shiny terrain seems to be affecting more textures than just those mentioned above. Even the "new" PBR variations seem to be afflicted by it. Maybe there is something that needs to be adjusted in post performance to reduce the artefact or maybe it doesn't manifest in Driver, but it's more than a bit annoying.

Edit:

A bit more experimentation and the issue seems to be with the lighting. The same texture can look almost pitch black on one side of a hill, then washed out on the other. Apart from the aesthetics, makes it hard to see what the "average" effect or colour of the mix you're making looks like.

I use Elstoko's Pro track and that seems to have a strange look in 19, the sleepers have a green tint which worsens under different times of day.
Maybe caused by the same thing

mrjunction
August 29th, 2018, 09:22 PM
So last night I did Frame Rate comparisons, so I ran 2019 Mohave sub DPU and immediately run same session in T:ane. 30 FPS in 2019(average) and 45-6 in T:ane. I gotta tell ya, I still think T:ane looks better. Better,richer colors. I'm also talking straight out of the box( just as loaded, no tweaking settings).

PC_Ace
August 29th, 2018, 09:41 PM
That's simply because some of the 'out-of-the-box' default settings (especially for lighting) are just plain execrable!
Some quick, judicious adjustments, and you'll love your new version of Trainz. See the lighting tutorial here: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl
On the performance-front, I am seeing completely opposite relative FPS values in Mojave Sub - That said; both are more than acceptable with everything maxed out.
In general, I'm finding that TRS2019 outperforms T:ANE in most scenarios, with the same hardware and similar visual quality and performance settings.

Stonegate
August 30th, 2018, 03:09 AM
I have only just started with TRS2019, but overall, I am quite happy with the new interface, the soporific music is another matter, however.

One point that I have noticed however, is that under "My Collection", that the Region selection doesn't seem to work properly. If I select eg Europe, Germany or United Kingdom, it only shows those assets that were downloaded from the DLC under "Asset Download". Routes, Locomotives and Rolling Stock downloaded from Content manager do not show up except under the "All" option. I have checked the config.txt files for these items and they all show a valid category-region code, ie GB or DE. Is there a setting I have missed somewhere? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be much point in having a region selection.

Regards

Mike

JCitron
August 30th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I have only just started with TRS2019, but overall, I am quite happy with the new interface, the soporific music is another matter, however.

One point that I have noticed however, is that under "My Collection", that the Region selection doesn't seem to work properly. If I select eg Europe, Germany or United Kingdom, it only shows those assets that were downloaded from the DLC under "Asset Download". Routes, Locomotives and Rolling Stock downloaded from Content manager do not show up except under the "All" option. I have checked the config.txt files for these items and they all show a valid category-region code, ie GB or DE. Is there a setting I have missed somewhere? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be much point in having a region selection.

Regards

Mike

That sounds like a bug and not a feature, Mike.

Report that using the bug report form:

https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscription&utm_campaign=5b9a3c8923-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_05_24_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_463d5db52a-5b9a3c8923-91151225&mc_cid=5b9a3c8923&mc_eid=0c1a93fd3d

jrfolco
August 30th, 2018, 10:59 AM
One of the ways to show a % grade is to use pguy's Quick Custom HUD. It has many options available in the display.

https://rhkjiq.ch.files.1drv.com/y4mHkn8mYRyxMf0RNgvX4XjbmxnJ4MHRCXcb52jUJepCSqR82-Llv2GpFTfUo_ls60N-niqbiqCjYztKZ0ad1QtLa037jH9IW9lZ1F6iVpf50nmta57zdv KQ1SW6nCZl3skxlfgd838nBGo2pDLHxHUHckgR0RHJhAM36Bg6 mv8ng107OFwY-5K3i8uJmXSVnkMPJiGh55RS67aE95ZFbwhBQ?width=676&height=957&cropmode=none https://rhlufa.ch.files.1drv.com/y4m9k4On6lyf_bTZbnIOZKT7AkUxcNbS1J3vgfU57zsgNc7G89 8E7GkthZgvgG3iZCq9BJ-KaRDqKJpE2l68aDqZKB216eG4fiSciP4BB2OxV8EI2ONawr9HB G4i6ujq5TjKiNJ_9OadB99tQWMDj964xcOy904jrXdnBEWFuG3 yVqiREBR7o_bi5s2Q2Mn9p5mvXKYBTawJXXtIk2a7t0OSg?wid th=225&height=583&cropmode=none

Can't get it to work in TRS19. Works well in Tane.

Joe

Vern
August 30th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Post (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=116699702614092&set=a.116699682614094&type=3&size=983%2C553) deleted.

clam1952
August 30th, 2018, 01:34 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=116699702614092&set=a.116699682614094&type=3&size=983%2C553

Sweet.

Nothing there
Sorry, this content isn't available right now

Vern
August 30th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Nothing there

I'm still getting the hang of this Fa(r)cebook thing! I'll try and put them up on my site...

Tony_Hilliam
August 30th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I ran 2019 Mohave sub DPU and immediately run same session in T:ane. 30 FPS in 2019(average) and 45-6 in T:ane.

Are you sure you had vsync on Full? If it was set to half, you will get 30fps max.

Also ensure that you have all settings at the same level including draw distance. As others have said, on most systems there will be an improvement in fps.

One other part of the test - if the route is pre-caching or building shaders this will also slow things down - wait for those operations to complete (which only happen the first time you run a route) and then try your test.

martinvk
August 30th, 2018, 10:11 PM
That sounds like a bug and not a feature, Mike.

Report that using the bug report form:

https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscription&utm_campaign=5b9a3c8923-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_05_24_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_463d5db52a-5b9a3c8923-91151225&mc_cid=5b9a3c8923&mc_eid=0c1a93fd3d

YMMV but Ii just tried filtering on a few Regions and most of the installed routes, including my own show correctly. Some don't because they have old config file tags that have not been corrected yet. The more I use the new Main Menu,the more I like it. Now if only there were more correct thumbnails or even any thumbnail! But opening a route / session and saving will auto generate a thumbnail so I just have to visit more of them.

pware
August 30th, 2018, 10:15 PM
The new menu has certainly killed off the "I hate the Green routes" posts.

JCitron
August 30th, 2018, 10:32 PM
YMMV but Ii just tried filtering on a few Regions and most of the installed routes, including my own show correctly. Some don't because they have old config file tags that have not been corrected yet. The more I use the new Main Menu,the more I like it. Now if only there were more correct thumbnails or even any thumbnail! But opening a route / session and saving will auto generate a thumbnail so I just have to visit more of them.

That could very well be the case, and there's plenty of content to update too.

Stonegate
August 31st, 2018, 03:36 AM
I have investigated further and found that the problem seems to be with "GB" as a region. Changing it to "UK" solved the problem. The problem with the German content was an inability to read properly. It does look as though a lot of content will need to be updated, either because the region is something silly, such as "00" or the category-region tag is missing completely.

Regards

Mike

Alco_P-A
August 31st, 2018, 06:23 PM
I notice when i'm in building a route the picture gets bright and dim when I do a 360 or zoom out and in. Any thoughts?
Alco_P-A

Vern
September 1st, 2018, 02:02 AM
I notice when i'm in building a route the picture gets bright and dim when I do a 360 or zoom out and in. Any thoughts?
Alco_P-A

Think that's all down to this new lighting arrangement. As pointed out to me when I mentioned the awful contrast at default settings, you need to do some serious adjustment to get lighting conditions you, a. Are able to work in and, b. Run the route with the more life like graphics that are appearing in screenshots.

N3V definitely need to think about toning down the default before the final release. It would also be useful if there was some means of saving the environment settings from one route to another to avoid having to faff around with the colour dials and brightness slider.

clive990
September 1st, 2018, 02:29 AM
Hi guys. Sorry for my rant the other day. Iím a little embarrassed now. However I do agree with mrjunction. The feel of T:ANE is so much more superior. And I hardly had to tweak anything upon original install. I really agree with the driver issues. In T:ANE we can use F6 to banish them but on TS19 we canít. Has anyone found a way? Although my settings have improved the gameplay, im still hugely disappointed with this

ARhian7
September 1st, 2018, 04:21 AM
F6 does not seem to do anything at present in Ts2019. I just remapped the key, but still the same. Perhaps a bug?
F5 removes the UI in Driver from the screen. Maybe use that in the mean time.

clive990
September 1st, 2018, 08:09 AM
F5 removes all the HUD and I only want to get rid of the annoying drivers as we can in TANE.

martinvk
September 1st, 2018, 10:08 AM

N3V definitely need to think about toning down the default before the final release. It would also be useful if there was some means of saving the environment settings from one route to another to avoid having to faff around with the colour dials and brightness slider.Would be nice but unless you're simulating the same area during the same time of year, the environment settings would have to be adjusted anyway. But still a nice to have option

JCitron
September 1st, 2018, 12:08 PM
Would be nice but unless you're simulating the same area during the same time of year, the environment settings would have to be adjusted anyway. But still a nice to have option

Maybe this could be tied into the region settings and even the world origin, because this would definitely make a big difference in lighting and even water color. The lighting for example for us living in the northern hemisphere closer to the arctic, has much softer lighting contrasts than those closer to the Equator.

Sadly this is probably too complex, or add in yet another layer to something that's already too complex to begin with.

Vern
September 1st, 2018, 03:08 PM
I just saw some screenshots of a Danish route Mike (IKB) found posted at Trainsim dot com and that looks supremely realistic. Don't know if it's on the DLS but I definitely want those environment settings!

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?329007-Trainz-Railroad-Simulator-2019-Announced/page20

NB: You will need to be a member over there to see the screenies.

pware
September 1st, 2018, 04:45 PM
F6 does not seem to do anything at present in Ts2019. I just remapped the key, but still the same. Perhaps a bug?
F5 removes the UI in Driver from the screen. Maybe use that in the mean time.

TRS19 is an early release version (i.e. a beta) and not all the features have been enabled. The F6 key could be one of those.

ARhian7
September 1st, 2018, 09:39 PM
TRS19 is an early release version (i.e. a beta) and not all the features have been enabled. The F6 key could be one of those.

I know it is an "early release version". Yes, could still be on the to do list, may be a bug too ;)

cressjl
November 29th, 2018, 08:19 AM
The new menu has certainly killed off the "I hate the Green routes" posts.
YESSSSS!

My first impression? Blown away! This "pre-release" is SO far ahead of where T:ANE was at this time that I am blown away. The game play using the same configuration as I used for T:ANE is so much better that it is actually playable. The spits and starts of T:ANE are no longer there. I also love the improved interface, AND the way I can get back to my "collection." Too bad we can't select between outdoors and indoors, though; that would be a nice feature for a toggle switch.

I'm glad I stepped up to the Gold level for a year. I look forward to getting back into trainzing (in competition with my woodshop)!