PDA

View Full Version : Erazor

smash
December 1st, 2006, 08:53 AM
I just spend the last 20 minutes looking for this thing. Finaly found it with the help of google.
This is a repost from the previous forums.
Oriinally by Switchdoc:

erazor - tool for erazing groundtextures
Hello all,

after some discussion in the route builder's forum I buildt a routine called erazor, which erazes (no kidding!) groundtextures.

You find it here (http://www.uelasticus.de/erazor/erazor.zip)

You got to download texture kuid 44700:11992 from DLS as well. This is used as a marker. Just apply it to the area on your board where you want to have your groundtextures removed, exitz TRS and run erazor. In the marked area all textures are wiped away leaving the yellow on grey grid.

See the reedme-file for details.

Best regards

Norbert

JCitron
December 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Thank you Norbert for find this very useful tool. You wouldn't believe how many times I've put down the wrong texture, and ended up just texturing over to hide it.

John

nawlins
December 1st, 2006, 02:50 PM
So you're saying that when you texture over a texture the original one (or two, etc.) is still there, beneath the new one? I never knew that!
No wonder I'm starting to see low frame rates! :eek:

smash
December 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Yep Up to seven textures if I remember correctly.
Kenny

Serkanner
December 1st, 2006, 07:18 PM
Call me stupid, but isn't that just utterly rediculous programming wise? I mean, when used carefully you can blend a few textures on one tile ... but seven??? Another example of bad programming if you ask me. :mad:

narrowgauge
December 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
I believe that the number of textures retained is five not seven.

I suggest that there must have been a very good reason why the program does this

Call me stupid, but isn't that just utterly rediculous programming wise? I mean, when used carefully you can blend a few textures on one tile ... but seven??? Another example of bad programming if you ask me. :mad:

Serkanner, it was this type of gratuitous criticism that contributed to causing the recent closure of the forum. This sort of comment is rude and unnecessary.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

Serkanner
December 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM
I am sorry I forgot ... criticism isn't allowed in modern times.

jost62
December 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
I experimented with over-painting textures. When the new texture totaly covers spotless (!!!) the old texture, the old texture disappears from the map-file. So a clear answer: There are no textures (neither one nor five nor seven) hidden "below" the visible texture (again: if this totaly covers the old texture), eating up the computer performance.

So when the contours of your landscape are OK, just overpaint it.:)
Only when I want to repaint larger sections or have too wildly used a mix of textures and want to reduce their number I use Erazor.

But: It is difficult to change the contours of a textured landscape. For correcting the contours of your landscape Erazor and the "Texture Erazor Mesh 10R" (DLS) are very helpful. Smaller corrections I do only with the Texture Erazor Mesh 10R. After correcting the contours I pick up the texture(s) neighboring this corrections and overpaint the corrections - easy and fast!

Dermmy
December 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ermm...

I just conducted the following test using TRS04:

Create new route.
Apply small area of texture.
Save
Exit
Reload route
Apply an area of texture taking care to completely cover original area of texture.

Repeat to five texture layers, each entirely covering the layer below. I added a minimum of two grid squares around the edge each layer.

Opening the route's config file showed 5 textures.

I reloaded the route and added a sixth layer. Interestingly enough the kuid table dropped to four entries.

Now whether or not the graphics engine is trying to draw the buried textures would take far more elaborate testing, but it certainly knows that the concealed textures are there....

Andy :)

sfrr
December 2nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
ok ok ok.....i hope you all know, but i found this out in paint and decided to try it out in trainz..... when in trainz you can pretty much undo anything you did previousley and dont like by pressing Ctrl + Z (undo) and
Ctrl + Y(redo)..........hope it helps you...

mike.

P.S. in TRS2006 ALT + U (fly mode) and ALT + Y (walk mode)

narrowgauge
December 2nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
There is another reason to use Erazor, there is a limit placed on the number of different textures that can be used on a map and when you reach this limit, you can not add the Erazor texure.

I am not sure what the precise value is but it lies between 249 and 254.

Referring to the 7 or 5 or 1 texture question, the number of 5 came from a statement by Auran quite a while back.

Cheers

Narrowgauge

smash
December 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Referring to the 7 or 5 or 1 texture question, the number of 5 came from a statement by Auran quite a while back.

Cheers

Narrowgauge
I just remembered reading that from the old forums a while back.:)
Either way 5 layers on top of each other can add up quickly, weather or not we can see them.:eek:
Kenny

manjoe
August 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Ermm...

I just conducted the following test using TRS04:

Create new route.
Apply small area of texture.
Save
Exit
Reload route
Apply an area of texture taking care to completely cover original area of texture.

Repeat to five texture layers, each entirely covering the layer below. I added a minimum of two grid squares around the edge each layer.

Opening the route's config file showed 5 textures.

I reloaded the route and added a sixth layer. Interestingly enough the kuid table dropped to four entries.

Now whether or not the graphics engine is trying to draw the buried textures would take far more elaborate testing, but it certainly knows that the concealed textures are there....

Andy :)

Gee whiz........I would try a couple of dozen of different pieces of textures to get my desired effect. I thought overlaying with the last and most recent one would ERASE all those that are under it. This is really great information. I just downloaded ERAZOR and the TEXTURE ERAZOR MESH 10R kuid 44700:11992. As usual, I hope I dont blow-up my TRS2004:confused: :confused: :confused:

RPearson
August 11th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Yes it actually uses them. The gnd file holds up to 5 textures at each grid vertex. They could actually be the same texture but each has its own weight, rotation and scale values. At each vertex the textures listed are scaled, rotated and merged according to the weight values then rendered. Maximum number of different textures in the gnd file is limited to 250.

Bob Pearson

American_Connections
August 12th, 2007, 04:00 AM
So you're saying that when you texture over a texture the original one (or two, etc.) is still there, beneath the new one? I never knew that!
No wonder I'm starting to see low frame rates! :eek:I see lack of operation completely after adding much folage. I must remove all this now just to get a frame rate at all! Beware!! I have not even opened that senario now in a long time, after five years building on it. Got into G-max and the Blues there of, another problem in auran programing!

Vulcan40
July 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Wow thanks guys a lot of good information there. But is'nt it a bit of a catch 22? If you are maxed out on textures then how can you apply the cover to use erazor?

Lots_Trains
July 27th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hi Vulcan40 :wave:

Beware!!!

09 has no texture limits.

Erazor cannot be used in 09

Use Erazor in a 06 map it screws it up in 09

Cheers

Lots

ct_krogen
July 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
You got to download texture kuid 44700:11992 from DLS as well.

mmm i look for this and i i could not fin this on the d/l station

jkinzel
July 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I found it using CM2 i.e. TS2009. I cound not find it using the DLS in 2004 even with all ver. checked.

Pencil42
July 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
09 has no texture limits.

The texture limit is still present in '09, but is per baseboard as opposed to per route as it was in earlier versions.

Lots_Trains
July 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Thankx Pencil :wave:

I saw iut mentioned a while back it was gone, but wow 256 textures on one base board that would be tough to do. One way to bring the puter to its knees

Cheers

Lots

AnalogOldguy
July 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure if this relates to what you are talking about here, but it reminds me about what I learned by accident just lately. Textures can be removed in 2006 SP1. By getting the base board color and then copying it over textures.

I think it takes it right back to the gray baseboard, with grid lines showing again.
Maybe not exactly what you are talking about, but maybe a good fact to know for newbies. Which I definitely am!

R.P.

(actually wrong) It works on a route someone else made, that I am filling in. (Which has grid lines also going diagonally). I just re-tried it and it does seem to work. Then I tried on other routes with the plain square lines and it doesn't work. Never trust a newbie..:'( Bob P.

narrowgauge
July 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
The grid texture exists and will cover any other textures. It has to be set to point due North and to minimum scale, however as it is a texture, it does not remove the previous ones, something that Erazor2 could do. Given time, I expect that Erazor will be modified to suit the new program.

Peter

lander
July 29th, 2009, 09:40 AM
kuid 44700:11992 isn't showing up on the DLS. Any suggestions?:(

jkinzel
July 29th, 2009, 03:37 PM
kuid 44700:11992 isn't showing up on the DLS. Any suggestions?:(

I found it using CM2 i.e. TS2009. I cound not find it using the DLS in 2004 even with all ver. checked.

lander
July 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM
:( I don't have TRS09. I'm strictly using TRS04.

ct_krogen
July 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM

:( i am useing tro6

narrowgauge
July 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
It is there on the DLS, but it is classed as a 'Trainz' item so you have to dig down to the second from last in the Version selection on the DLS menu. I found that that CM2 won't find it. Go into the DLS from the section in the top bar of this forum.

Peter

ct_krogen
July 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
It is there on the DLS, but it is classed as a 'Trainz' item so you have to dig down to the second from last in the Version selection on the DLS menu. I found that that CM2 won't find it. Go into the DLS from the section in the top bar of this forum.

Peter

aaaaaaaaaa