PDA

View Full Version : Appeasement and Trainz

shebashetan7
May 3rd, 2018, 09:11 PM
Hello all,

From time and time again, we Trainzers come across appealing content in the screenshots and videos created by like-minded people. Those can be a detailed route, or a magnificent steam locomotive. The presentation of unreleased content like this will often incite users to ask question corresponding to the model's release; including but not limited to "When will this this be released" and "I can't wait!" This behavior is unwelcome in the community because while content creators have a right to release their own creations to the public, they are not legally or morally entitled to release it. They release it depending on their mood, whether they have permission to use other's assets etc.

Many projects intended to go to the public for download have died due to the behavior of many who have been labeled as "gimme pigs" in other words; beg for content that likely is not worth sharing. It is possible for a content creator to retire, pull off content and cancel all their project for this reason.

I'd like to take this moment to discuss a topic that can be related to the issue of "gimme pigs" on the forums - appeasement. Appeasement is the process of granting wishes to a demanding party that will benefit them in the hopes that aggressive action will be avoided, often at a cost to the party who grants the wish. This concept can be applied to the relationship between content creators and "gimme pigs;" a "gimme pig" constantly begs for a very nice locomotive showcased in a content creator's screenshot that appears to be in a finished state, but is meant to be private to the creator.

To appease the beggar, the content creator will feel entitled to release the model in the hopes that the "gimme pig" will stop. This is not the right approach, because there are underlying reasons that are understandable that prohibit the release of the model by the creator, even if they really wanted to; not possible to get permission from the original authors if their content is used, or a private beta in which the creator has asked the tester not to publish the model being tested online. In the case that the owner of the content in question appeases the "gimme pig" by releasing the private model, it would be at a cost to the owner because they, say, would get in serious trouble with the original author if any of their assets were used in the model, or the creator of a private beta model.

I hope that this will make it clear a few reasons why it is not worth the trouble to appease "gimme pigs."

Feedback is welcome.

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS
May 3rd, 2018, 09:39 PM
I agree with your statement completely. Somebody that wants one thing will probably want something else later on and it'll turn into a stream of content the person wants instead of what the content creator wants to make.

hiawathamr
May 3rd, 2018, 09:49 PM
Agree with every word the OP said. I seen it happen to a few after a few gimme pigs kept asking and asking repeatedly.
I know I see something in a screenshot that would fit in a route, and ask where they get it, and I simply leave it as a "Okay, thank you" and move on, something that gimme pigs just can't do...

shebashetan7
May 3rd, 2018, 09:55 PM
I can figure that some creators are more protective of their content; they serious take the concept of that once you publish something online, you lose control of who gets it. Those creators want to remain in full control of their stuff, which is why some EULAs associated with released content strictly prohibit third-part redistribution outright, even if its freeware, like with Steve Lerro. The license for his content is proprietary.

crazytrain
May 3rd, 2018, 09:56 PM
If the person is the owner and content creator, what alternate personality would they be getting in trouble with for releasing their creation?

shebashetan7
May 3rd, 2018, 10:33 PM
For example, Trainman7616 has some excellent quality content show showcased made just by him not intended for release, however as he is sole creator and owner of his steamers, he would not get punished for releasing them. I bring up the point that the one issue with private content, aside from gimme pigs, is that imagine when your PC wears out and the hard drive fails; Trainz use a good amount of resources, and that puts plenty of strain on the hard drive and other hardware, that it would to be worn out in the case the creator goes overboard with the graphics settings. That means that one will lose their private content forever in the case they never backed it up. Hundreds of hours, time, and money spent on hard work - gone.

For a specific reason an individual that both owns the rights and has created the content in question themselves, that has nothing to do with permissions or a request from a higher party, you're right, it is all from the twisted sector of the human psyche.

Vern
May 3rd, 2018, 11:21 PM
While agreeing with some of the OP, there is a double edged sword at play here.

If a creator issues a screenshot of a WIP particularly one at an advanced stage and nothing is then heard, there is an element of tease which may solicit genuine inquiries from interested parties as to a likely release date. That's why it doesn't pay to publicise your work until it is in an advanced state and almost ready for release. While it might not stop the more assertive GP's posting abrupt "I wannit now", messages, maybe append a likely release date with the caveat content creation is very much a moveable feast.

shebashetan7
May 3rd, 2018, 11:37 PM
That is welcome. I mainly was citing possible reasons why a content creator who fully owns the rights to his model keeps it to himself when he would not get in trouble for releasing it. It could because, even though it is finished, it is not worth the trouble to release it because the creator added personal touches to a fictional train that which operated by the downloader, may not be as appealing as to the original creator because there is less you can realistically do with it. However, there are some people who can see through that and accept the benefit of the doubt - use their imagination, because anything can happen on a virtual railway. There is no such thing as an "alternate personality" that will keep you from freely releasing content that you fully own the rights to.

crazytrain
May 3rd, 2018, 11:54 PM
So, to sum it all up "There is no reason not to release your steam locomotive Trainman!"

And that reminds me, maybe I should update my will. Geez.

KotangaGirl
May 4th, 2018, 04:48 AM
I've just posted pictures in the screenshots thread of a locomotive I modded into being from an earlier period and now after reading this I'm worried that I'm going to get pressured into releasing it. That's something I don't want to do, - mostly because I don't know how, and secondly I don't want to convert it to TS2012 and thirdly I don't have permission from the original creator to do so. Possibly all those things could be overcome and sorted out, but living with a chronic illness as I do it's too much bother. And somewhere amongst all that is a residual feeling that it's not good enough to go on the DLS anyway.

Richarde57
May 4th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Simple, the poster of a screenshot of new content should add a line saying:

"This content will not be released"

Then further questions are not needed.

KotangaGirl
May 4th, 2018, 05:26 AM
Thanks for that. Note to that effect now added.

phimat
May 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM
What a remarkably complacent thread. To stick with the beggar analogy: if you flash your wealth out on the street, don't be surprised if it attracts beggars, and worse. Just be glad you are flashing from the safety of your bedroom, or wherever. Though, of course, there is this whole hacking thing on the internet: doesn't do to attract the wrong sort of attention online...

pware
May 4th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Of course, there is always the Ignore List. If someone is pestering you excessively and will not take "No" for an answer, simply add them to your ignore list.

oknotsen
May 4th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Locked on request of the OP.