PDA

View Full Version : how to put downloaded files into tane

switchmen37
April 29th, 2018, 07:31 AM
sorry asking too many questions: is there a tutor on how put downloaded folders on desk top in the libraries folder so tane can use them:

I did some downloads from rrmods . um, right now they are on my desk top. I can open them but I do not see or find the folder called libraries for these rolling stock can be put into and used in tane.

switchmen37

pware
April 29th, 2018, 07:50 AM
CM handles all the importing of files into TANE. There is no way that you can add files into the database yourself.

If the files are in .cdp format then drag and drop them into CM.

Assets that are in their original source folder format, where the config.txt, thumbnail.jpg, and assorted other files and folders depending on the type of asset can be seen, can also be dragged into CM by dragging and dropping their folders into CM but this method of distribution from a web site would be highly unusual. This is normally only used by content creators.

JCitron
April 29th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Yes, assets are mostly added through the content data packages, CDPs. If you have file folders, which does happen on occasion, these can be imported via the file menu, or dragged into Content Manager.

switchmen37
April 29th, 2018, 04:29 PM
hello pware and jcitron: u2 are always full of info thanks

the downloads from rrmods is jointed rail rolling stock and I think some engines from him also.

switchmen37

SailorDan
April 29th, 2018, 06:21 PM
the downloads from rrmods is jointed rail rolling stock and I think some engines from him also.

What are the file types of the downloaded files? If the file type is CDP then open it from the CM menu File / Import Content Files... option. If the file type is not CDP then it might be a compressed format such as ZIP. In that case the file needs to be unzipped first. The contents might be a CDP file, or might be a folder. If it's a CDP file use File / Import Content Files... and import the file; if it's a folder use File / Import Content Folder.... and import the folder.

Drag and drop is unreliable and should be avoided. It depends on the permissions applying in two different contexts, and if permissions differ then the operation does nothing.

pware
April 29th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Drag and drop is unreliable and should be avoided.

I use both "Drag and Drop" and the "Import content files/folder" methods and I have never found one to be more or less reliable than the other. I do find "drag and drop" for folders to be far easier to use than the "Import content folder" method.

SailorDan
April 29th, 2018, 08:54 PM
I use both "Drag and Drop" and the "Import content files/folder" methods and I have never found one to be more or less reliable than the other.

Perhaps you are running with the same permissions in both contexts. Other user might not have their systems configured like that.

JCitron
April 30th, 2018, 09:39 AM
It's definitely a permissions thing. The only time I ran into an issue with drag and drop was when I used to run TS12 as administrator as required. T:ANE, being a newer application, doesn't have that issue and there's no problem dragging and dropping into Content Manager.