PDA

View Full Version : Looking for New England stonewalls...

JCitron
March 6th, 2017, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know if there's anything like this on the DLS or elsewhere?

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.guwV3F1spShiQu-xtkHw6QEsDH&pid=15.1

These stone walls are ubiquitous to my area in New England and mark the property lines of many old farms, and are seen along many, many backroads today. They are made of local stones, mostly granite and quartzite which have been piled neatly on top of each other as can be seen in the photo above.

ministerfarrigut
March 6th, 2017, 12:09 PM
There is a spline asset called Dry Stone Wall. It looks a lot like the wall in your picture. I'm not sure if it's exactly the one you are looking for, but that's what I've got. Hope I helped.

JCitron
March 7th, 2017, 01:43 AM
There is a spline asset called Dry Stone Wall. It looks a lot like the wall in your picture. I'm not sure if it's exactly the one you are looking for, but that's what I've got. Hope I helped.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Roy3b3
March 7th, 2017, 05:29 AM

These stone walls are ubiquitous to my area in New England and mark the property lines of many old farms, and are seen along many, many backroads today. They are made of local stones, mostly granite and quartzite which have been piled neatly on top of each other as can be seen in the photo above.

Hey John,

Clam has a number of dry stone walls on the DLS. See under "CL Wall Stone"

Cheers mate,
Roy

edh6
March 7th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Also look at the assets with names beginning "MLK DSD" by masontaylor, which are a Scottish style dry stone wall.

Ghost42
March 7th, 2017, 06:01 AM

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.guwV3F1spShiQu-xtkHw6QEsDH&pid=15.1

'settle and Carlisle' runs through dry stone wall country, could be worth checking, the pattern can be regional.

JCitron
March 7th, 2017, 09:19 AM
I'll check out those assets, which I probably already have installed. Heck, I probably have the complete DLS installed! :eek:

These are very regional, but very predominant in the Colonies in New England. They were used right through the 19th century as well and surround many farms and properties even today, though sadly many are disused and poorly maintained. My old house Victorian farmhouse ca. 1874 had one between our neighbor's property and along the back end, which was in excellent condition. The one in the front of the property, however, had fallen down and was turned into a garden. Overall they're not very tall, maybe a foot or two high, and are made from glacier stones dug up from the farm as the farmers were ploughing their fields. New England is notoriously rocky and even digging a few inches into the ground is painfully slow in some places.

Thanks!

John

ministerfarrigut
March 7th, 2017, 09:25 AM
No problem. You may already have the one I suggested.

Bill69
March 7th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Also look at the assets with names beginning "MLK DSD" by masontaylor, which are a Scottish style dry stone wall.

Yes but in Scotland it is called a "Dry Stane Dyke"

Cheers,
Bill69

JCitron
March 7th, 2017, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry to say these assets are not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help anyway.

clam1952
March 8th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Mine are all stone block type walls not roundish ones, try Jankvis's new ones just up loaded a few days back.

JCitron
March 8th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Mine are all stone block type walls not roundish ones, try Jankvis's new ones just up loaded a few days back.

Thank you, Malc. I'll check those out.

Yeah. The English walls are a bit to uniform while ours are nothing more than local stones piled up along the property line. :)