PDA

View Full Version : Cumbres and Toltec D&RGW

Wilsongineer
September 16th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Hello,

I recently accidentally deleted my 60% finished Cumbres and Toltec Route on the DEM version off the DLS. Would anyone be able to help me and have this route under construction that I could use and continue to build? I have countless hours in it already and would love to not have to start from scratch again.

Many thanks,
Wilsongineer

oknotsen
September 17th, 2016, 01:34 AM
What version of Trainz are you using and how recently did you delete it?
It might still be in your daily saves (or whatever they are called).

meatloaf747
September 17th, 2016, 07:01 AM
How did you delete it? Was it in Content Manager? Check in Content Manager to see if you have a "autosave".cdp of the route.

If you have a .cdp "autosave" in Contents Manager, check to see if the size of the autosave .cpd is approximately the same size as your 60% completed route.

When you have launched your version of Trainz, check in the "Route column" as to whether or not you have a Route called "autosave" (Years ago I accidentally deleted a route that I was working on. I was able to recover everything by open this "autosave" .cdp of the route)...

As a last resort, do a full Database Repair, then see if the deleted route is showing again.

Good luck.

Cheers, Mac...

JCitron
September 17th, 2016, 10:26 AM
If you deleted the route within the last 7 days and you have backups turned on for 7-days maximum you might be in luck.

Check your Backups folder.

Go to the folder where TS12 is installed - usually C:\Program File s(x86)\N3V Games\TS12.
Go to User Data folder.
Go to Backups folder.

In the Backups folder, the folders are arranged by date in DD-MM-YY format, meaning it's 16-09-16 for yesterday.

In the folders is additional folders which might have edit x9085xEf or something like that. One of these might be your route, but there's more....

Check for a folder that begins with your Kuid and part of the name like this:

kuid 124863 100339 Enfield Rail Revision

Here's the one from my current route I've been working on. It doesn't have the complete name, but it's enough to know what it is.

To restore the route, knocking on wood you found it, simply start Content Manager and drag this folder into a CM window.

The data will be restored.

You might have to check the Open for Edit tab and commit the route if it's there, but you should be all set to go from there.

Now for the lecture:

I can't stress this enough. This is why backups are so important. A simple backup to an external device - a USB hard drive is highly recommended because of the space available works for this - by copying your User Data folder to the drive will work wonders and save you a lot of time and worry. A great program for this, and free too, is Fast Copy.

https://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

External drives are inexpensive today. You can get an 8TB external drive for about $350 or half that for a 4TB!

The reason for a simple copy is this will give you access to your files without needing a special backup/restore program, which may or may not work or require a special install to operate. These programs are not always reliable and have been known to go through the motions of backing up data and failing all without displaying an error message.

In addition to backing up the whole User Data folder, make periodic backups of your important routes. Use Content Manager and create a CDP of the route and session if available. There are various naming conventions you can use which will help. I use the Route Name --- version ---- date backed up.cdp format.

Perform the backup frequently - at the minimum of once a week. Using Fast Copy, you can perform what is called a Diff copy, which means only the data that has changed will be backed up. The initial backup will take the longest, however, all others will be much quicker and the time will vary depending upon how much data you have to backup.

With this safety net in place, you will not worry about losing important data since it will always be available.

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys,

I have TS12 and deleted it in Surveyor.

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 11:44 AM
There is no user data folder in my TS12 folder. Thanks for your help. I don't really know what I am doing :(

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I did find the route in my content manager. How do I restore it?

oknotsen
September 17th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Is it listed in surveyor under your own KUID?
If so, chances are you didn't delete it at all but instead removed the favorite flag and you are only showing favorites. Check the star in game.

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Still not in game. Do I need to restore it somehow? I did a quick data base repair but no luck yet.

oknotsen
September 17th, 2016, 03:01 PM
So you did find the route using Content Manager?
What was the KUID of the route?

meatloaf747
September 17th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I did find the route in my content manager. How do I restore it?

All is not lost then...

Is the found route .cdp in Contents Manager showing as "warning" of "faulty" ???

Make sure you save the "found" route .cdp in Content Manager before you do anything else...

Find the route .cdp in Content Manager, right click on it (or highlight it, then Ctrl+Shift+D) then "Save as .cdp". (Note where you save the .cpd to).

Now, no matter what, you have a copy of the route .cdp that you can always import into your current version of Trainz (or higher) should the current route .cdp somehow disappear.

Cheers, Mac...

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks for your help. I did save it as .cpd. Where should I save it?

I am quite sure I deleted it off the surveyor list accidentally but It is listed at faulty in the Content Manager

What should I do next?

Thanks again for your help!

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 09:13 PM
The kuid is :497420:100507

cascaderailroad
September 17th, 2016, 09:21 PM
When you do find your backup of your route, you will (like all of us) remember to backup your route on an external HD, or save as a CDP every once in awhile

JCitron
September 17th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks for your help. I did save it as .cpd. Where should I save it?

I am quite sure I deleted it off the surveyor list accidentally but It is listed at faulty in the Content Manager

What should I do next?

Thanks again for your help!

If you have the CDP....

Open up Content Manager.

Drag the CDP into Content Manager.

In the event that the CDP doesn't install that way:

Click on File on the menu.
Click on Import CDP...

Browse to where you saved the CDP to.
Click on it.
Click Open to install.

Wilsongineer
September 17th, 2016, 09:49 PM
The route is already listed in my Content Manager but doesnt show up in my route list in game. It is faulty, is that why? how do I fix that?

cascaderailroad
September 18th, 2016, 06:36 AM
What are the faults ?

Post them here

JCitron
September 18th, 2016, 09:37 AM
The route is already listed in my Content Manager but doesnt show up in my route list in game. It is faulty, is that why? how do I fix that?

There are three causes.

1) It's open for edit.

Check Content Manager and Open for Edit tab.

If it appears in there highlight and press CTRL+M to commit.

2) It's faulty and won't load.

Check Content Manager

If this is the case, list the error here by viewing the errors and warnings and post the message here if there are any errors.

3) It's installed but you clicked on the star next to its name and this removed the route from your favorites.

Click on the gold star at the very top to show all the routes not marked favorite. Your route should appear there if this is the case.

Click the gold star next to the route and this will now make it a favorite.

Click the gold star at the very top to only show favorite routes.

jordon412
September 18th, 2016, 01:44 PM
I had a problem with a route I downloaded that didn't appear in Surveyor. Here's a link to a thread I started that may help you out.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?132915-Problems-with-ProtoClinchfield

Wilsongineer
September 19th, 2016, 08:30 PM
This is the only error:
Error: The Tag 'thumbnail' is not permitted within a container of type 'map'.

JCitron
September 19th, 2016, 10:13 PM
This is the only error:
Error: The Tag 'thumbnail' is not permitted within a container of type 'map'.

That will prevent the route from appearing in Surveyor.

To fix this:

1) Create a pic file called thumbnail.jpg
The file must be 240 x 180

2) In Content Manager:

- Open the route for edit using Explorer - right click on the route and choose that option under Open for Edit.
- Put the jpg file in your route's folder.

3) Edit the config.txt file for the route - double click on the config.txt file.
- Go to the very bottom of the file
Add the following:

thumbnails
{
{
width 240
height 180
image "thumbnail.jpg"
}
}

4) Save the config.txt file
5) Close the folder
6) Right-click on the asset open for edit in Content Manager
7) Choose View Errors and Warnings. - There should be none, but if there are some then you'll need to check your work.
8) If all set, commit it by highlighting and then pressing CTRL+M on your keyboard.

p-dehnert
September 20th, 2016, 02:00 AM
Don't forget to remove the line starting with 'thumbnail' (not thumbnails) from the config.txt.

Peter

Wilsongineer
September 21st, 2016, 06:21 PM
How do I make a pic file without access to the route? Does it have to be a pic of the route? Do I make the pic file in a particular program?

Thanks for your help gentlemen.

Wilsongineer
September 21st, 2016, 06:40 PM
Now I have 4 errors :|

Error: The Tag '{' is not permitted within a container of type 'thumbnails'.
Error: The Tag 'width' is not permitted within a container of type 'thumbnails'.
Error: The Tag 'height' is not permitted within a container of type 'thumbnails'.
Error: The Tag 'image' is not permitted within a container of type 'thumbnails'.

normhart
September 21st, 2016, 08:46 PM
Wilsong that's progress!!!

Open your config.txt in notepad. Look at the structure and make sure that there are no unmatched "{". That is to say for every "{" there should be a "}".

BTW now is a good time to get familiar with how a config.tex is structured. Open one of the other route config.txt files and compare it to your own. That should give you clues.

Edit OBTW look for extra or missing quotation marks too.

cascaderailroad
September 22nd, 2016, 06:09 AM
He could post the text of his config file here, and we could take a look at it, and help him correct it

Free Irfanview is a great image manipulation program to resize and convert images to different formats