PDA

View Full Version : What Industry would you like to see next?

jointedrail
January 25th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Have an idea for an industrial module? Let's hear it! We want to know what you would like to see next as an industrial module. We have several options we have been talking about but we would like to hear your thoughts on what should be next.

Go!

jkinzel
January 25th, 2016, 10:34 AM
A 70's ear Pulp/Paper Mill.

Thank you.

Regards,

jbaxter1964
January 25th, 2016, 11:04 AM
I agree on the paper mill. Anything from the 70s to present day will work for me.

nikitka1988
January 25th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Meat packing plant. With cow death cries sounds and blood. More blood and beaf. Fresh beaf! Oh yeah! MUHAHAHAHA!

P.S: Or little poultry...

Nikita:wave:

Railwoodman
January 25th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Coal unloading from the 40s 50s . Or anything from the steam era, early Diesel ..

Matt

constar261
January 25th, 2016, 11:46 AM
JR hear is a challenge for you How about a whole complete black carbon plant and I mean full size.
http://clui.org/sites/default/files/ludb/tx/7782/5663000637_af93988991_o.jpg

gp792
January 25th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I have to agree with you Matt on that one. A 40s-50s era route would be absolutely perfect. Since JR has a good selection of Steam/Transition-era equipment, why not do a route that showcases some of this content? We already have a healthy selection of coal hoppers begging to be used on a 40s-50s era route. Also, as much I don't mind modern American (1970s-Present), they just aren't my area of interest. You guys already have a good selection of Modern, so why not change things up a bit and do some Steam/Transition era routes? I'm sure that they would be popular...

Eboy87
January 25th, 2016, 12:13 PM
This may not be exactly what you're going for, but what about late transition/2nd gen repair shop? Something like Roanoke or Spencer? Would be a good place for people to start building a terminal. Or perhaps a coke plant. Should work well with most eras and provide some interesting operations. Plus it gives a destination for Diamond River coal...

MeowRailroad
January 25th, 2016, 12:18 PM
-A quarry, it could be called Mono Quarry to go with the Baldwin S12.
-A chemical plant.
-Maybe a modern stockyard facility, with modern stock cars, like the HOGX cars.

The first 2 would work with the existing CC&W stuff.

nicola86
January 25th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Paper mill or steel mill from the 80s to 00

Yoda967
January 25th, 2016, 01:48 PM
+1 for the paper mill, in line with the era of your previous payware modules.

jacksonbarno
January 25th, 2016, 01:55 PM
I think a 30's/40's auto plant would be pretty interesting and really fun, maybe with a Detroit/Michigan or Chicago feel to it. Might also be cool to see CC&W or PVRR in the steam/transition era as a part of it.

boc61
January 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Auto plant would be fun. I worked at a GM plant for a while and part of my job was dealing with the daily raiload deliveries

constar261
January 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
I think a 30's/40's auto plant would be pretty interesting and really fun, maybe with a Detroit/Michigan or Chicago feel to it. Might also be cool to see CC&W or PVRR in the steam/transition era as a part of it.

I think Isegrinns (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?427919-Isegrinns) NM&W fits the bill for 40's and 50's era autoplant. Say what ever happened to him and that amazing route?

escd84
January 25th, 2016, 04:24 PM
A coal unloader facility like Lamberts Point, with a kickback and all the whole stuff would be cool.
https://www.nawe.us/image/702101604-19-114-640x480/Screen+shot+2014-08-14+at+8.23.35+PM.png

richp928
January 25th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Maybe a large oil field

gregorygso
January 25th, 2016, 05:29 PM
How about a coal fired power plant? Could be another destination for Diamond River coal.

Richard

Wearsprada
January 25th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Some coal industry will be in wide version of legacy of the BN.

jacksonbarno
January 25th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I think Isegrinns (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/member.php?427919-Isegrinns) NM&W fits the bill for 40's and 50's era autoplant. Say what ever happened to him and that amazing route?

Part of it does, but having some more content to toy around with in that vein would be really nice nonetheless. Also, there isn't a specific route centered around that sort of industry, so it would definitely be different.

matruck
January 25th, 2016, 05:45 PM
How's about a complete logging set-up from the actual loco's like these baby's
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?action=display;board=Vancouver;num=1081 205768;start=240

(http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?action=display;board=Vancouver;num=1081 205768;start=240)The SW1200 and you could also try for sum older log skel's along with the caboose's, If you click thru the pages on that link there are sum interesting idea's on how they load or trans load the log's from trucks with these large frame thingy ma jigger's. You'd have to come up with sum better trees then what is available now though i think.
Cheers Mick.

Metrotren
January 25th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I'm thinking of an oil refinery/chemical plant harbor module. In southeast Texas, we have a major oil refinery / chemical plants over at Texas City, TX. Below here is a general track map of the Oil Refineries and Chemical Plants in Texas City.

http://www.oiltanking.com/Oiltanking/pdf/Area_Plan/AreaPlan.jpg

judahGrice
January 25th, 2016, 09:24 PM
EMD loco construction facility!!!! It'd be awesome to have something animated to have cranes assembling SD70s and stuff inside..... Also, NS Juanita would be the greatest thing ever made for Trainz.

Matt3985
January 25th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Some stockyards would be pretty nice as well as meat packing plants (Chicago was famous for them)

Nice map Metro. :) Glad to see you again here.

I also would like to see more Oil refinery stuff as well.

charlielima
January 25th, 2016, 10:21 PM
I think a potash mine and processing plant would be an interesting project.
Below is a picture of the Rocanville facility in Saskatchewan, Canada.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.867980.1348591766!/httpImage/image.jpeg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/image.jpeg

The great things are is that potash plants are in Canada, the United States, Australia and Asia.
They involve fairly substantial rail yards with on sight switchers and hundred car unit trains.

http://www.potashcorp.com/media/fac_rocanville.jpg

Thanks for asking.

kimo505
January 25th, 2016, 10:54 PM
How about a coal fired power plant? Could be another destination for Diamond River coal.

Richard

Definitely a coal fired power plant. And maybe other dry bulk unloading/storage facilities, i.e. General Mills, Coors, Budweiser...

Dinorius_Redundicus
January 25th, 2016, 11:07 PM
A tractor factory. Imports tyres and steel, produces tractors.

bmjank
January 26th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Auto plant

redfox2012
January 26th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Ethanol or Potash industry.

maruffijd
January 26th, 2016, 03:59 AM
An industry for the 18 wheeler's trailers.

mquigg
January 26th, 2016, 04:29 AM
How about an industrial park with multiple and varied industries and warehouses?
Mike

MeowRailroad
January 26th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I hadn't thought about that. That would be pretty fun, seeing as industrial parks are almost everywhere.

hert
January 26th, 2016, 09:30 AM
Full pledged Steel Mill would be cool. With slag and torpedo cars.

boc61
January 26th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Passenger stuff. It's never been well represented in Trainz, at least from the US. The commuter set that was recently released is great and I would love to see more from fallenvflags, regionals, Amtrak and fictional. Some nice passenger centered routes like Euphod's old RPT would be fun to have moving forward.

jacksonbarno
January 26th, 2016, 02:04 PM
A steel mill would DEFINITELY be cool. It actually would be a lot better than an auto plant since a large steel mill can't easily be kitbashed yet.

Switcher84
January 26th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Steel mill is a great idea. Also coal power plant, logging, ethanol plant. All sound good to me. Really have not read a bad idea yet.

Chadd04
January 26th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Ethanol, steel manufacturing or auto industry

jonwray
January 26th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Steel mill. The one on C&C USA is really out of date.... as is the route.

DaveL
January 26th, 2016, 06:49 PM
How about a 40s to 60s RR Ice House with automated ice block loading into reefers. Would also need various shippers on the route.

Dave

poolboy
January 26th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I would like to a logging industry

butler57
January 26th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Although not an industry (but packed with action) modern MOW equipment going about ripping up and replacing rail lines etc.

stuka95
January 26th, 2016, 09:32 PM
Being from the Cleveland area, I have to agree on the steel mill idea.

jordon412
January 26th, 2016, 10:10 PM
How about the textile industry? Believe it or not, 94-96% of all carpet manufactured in the world is manufactured here in northern Georgia.

Falcus
January 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM
As awesome as alot of these suggestions are, I think Im gonna toss in for Steel Industry as well. There are I think about 3? Assets? That even begin to cover a Coking Plant for instance, and they're woefully out of date and were always incomplete. I think a Coking Plant would be a good place to start too because it gives your Diamond River Module a destination, and one that has pretty much never been effectively done in Trainz before (How many Power plants have we seen?).

I thought about some kind of Transload Facility, particularly Ocean (For coal anyway, since we export more coal then Use ourselves now), but I think a series of Coal Driven Industries, leading up to them as a set or something, would be an incredible undertaking.

After that all I could suggest in this line though is to do some research on whatever industry you end up doing (Not saying you don't or haven't, just want to encourage it), and really nail whatever you guys decide to do XD.

Good Luck, and looking forward to whatever ya'll do,
-Falcus

Chadd04
January 27th, 2016, 10:18 PM
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/c44823ca1e6219678ac6ca1f195269fe.jpg (http://hostthenpost.org)
Maybe something that makes pipes too? Or any open load really, as I feel they are the most interesting because you can actually see the cargo.

4449tj
January 27th, 2016, 11:50 PM
I'm going to add another vote for steel mill. It is an industry with almost endless possibilities.

TJ

GP30Fan
January 28th, 2016, 12:05 AM
I'll go with a scaled down steel mill of the rolling mill variety.

Slabs in, coil cars out.

Give us a reason to run all those gons, flats and coil steel cars.

-AL

JCitron
January 28th, 2016, 12:20 AM
The steel mill would be really great. My vote goes for that one too.

Fluffinator
January 28th, 2016, 11:35 AM
My vote would be for either the Coal fired power plant (since at least half of the trains around where I live are now coal), and then I'll hop on the Steel bandwagon, lol.

In my opinion, almost anything you guys do would be awesome.

Cheers,
David

llebrez
January 28th, 2016, 12:36 PM
In fact, a MIN can be programed to load and unload any commodity you may have in the asset list. Same for cars with few exceptions. The key here is to be able to see the commodities at the dock, or a pile of coal growing or diminishing as you load/unload. For now I am able to do this with containers, coal, general goods, logs and others. But again we should have industries that show materially what goes out and comes in, just as we see when loaded in cars.

maruffijd
January 28th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Actually, since coal industry is on the table, something where rolling loading AND a larger upper limit to the total availability of commodity would be nice. I run longer NS bethgon coal trains and it's either, use a MIN requiring stopping every few cars to load while having a large surplus of coal, or a rolling industry where I have to stop about every 6ish cars to let the industry replenish (IE default Auran coal mine). This concept would be welcome on ALL industries that support rolling loads/unloads.

Switcher84
January 28th, 2016, 07:37 PM
Try Diamond River. If you set output to max and roll along at 1 mph it can almost keep up with a 50 unit

maruffijd
January 28th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Not quite there. It would have to be able to keep up with 120,000 units per car at a perpetually infinite total of # cars driving 5+mph. A roll through MIN would be perfect as its max caps exceeds the requirement.

jkinzel
January 28th, 2016, 10:24 PM
It seems steel mills are getting a large popular vote, so I'll throw this in the ring.

Nucor Steel, Seattle Plant. Much of the scrap comes in via barges and is loaded in gondolas and taken to the mill about a half mile away. It is a rather small operation compared to the mammoth mills back east. I have never seen the mill operation on the land side, but I have spotted plenty of scrap barges at the dock and always at night.

The Mill:
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=47.570210&lon=-122.365369&z=17&m=b

The Dock:
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=47.564629&lon=-122.349688&z=18&m=b

Regards

Someplace I have some photos of the dock area if there is any interest.

bolivar
January 29th, 2016, 12:24 AM
Ship building. Deliveries of steel for the vessels and coal for power. General cargo. Would be very large.

Falcus
January 29th, 2016, 07:54 AM
...snip....

As much as I would dearly love to see a Seattle Industry come into existence, Nucor's whole game is Scrap metal. If JR Picked Scrap Metal as their next industry, Cool, I'll only encourage it. If they picked Nucor to Model, I'd be over the Moon (Kind of, does make one wonder how I would deal with Payware Assets as being part of a Prototype Based Route later if I ever chose to distribute for any reason. Recreate? Leave a Hole with a Note? Decisions.... #firstworldproblems lol).

After that, I would add that Nucor seems to go through quite alot of Scrap quite quickly. IDK that they're a 24/7 operation (I imagine the furnaces/Smelters, w/e they call em, stay on generally, being fed or not), but they do have 2 Dedicated GE 44 Tonners on site for switching as well as a small fleet of very old battered Gondolas for their exclusive use. Not sure where the scrap barges come from, I would imagine Anywhere between Oregon and Alaska as I Have to assume California at least would have its own ways of dealing with scrap, but /shrug.

That all said, I think most here were thinking along the lines of "What comes after Diamond Mine and all its coal?". To which I think many would make the assumption New Steel Production/Forging from Iron, Coal, and whatever else goes into Modern Steel these days.

Like I said, tons of great suggestions in here.... Only chiming in to clarify some about Nucor. Whatever you guys pick I eagerly await.

-Falcus

ktain.ny
January 29th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Coal unloading from the 40s 50s . Or anything from the steam era, early Diesel ..

Matt
Yeah! And with a custom hill and animated conveyor belt!

jkinzel
January 29th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Falcus,

The majority of the scrap received dock side comes from Canada, a small amount from other places, i.e. Alaska and I assume when these sources dry up we have taken barge loads of scrap from Schnitzer Steel (the old General Metals and not sure of the spelling of Schnitzer) in Tacoma to Seattle. This was as of the end of 2013 when I retired.

Regards,

Alco_P-A
January 29th, 2016, 09:51 PM
How about the Rainier Pulp and Paper (Rayonier) Company in the Northwest? 1940-1960 era. A complete industry with their steam locomotives.

roca999
February 2nd, 2016, 04:35 PM
I agree with the Steel Mill option. All the routes I have seen are using the same DLS steel mill assets, since these type of assets are very limited. A modern mill with some visible loading animations of produced products would be fantastic. I also like to see the static assets that are also a commodity, whatever industry is chosen. The second choice would be a modern Oil Refinery.

Edit: I also would like to a modern Amtrak passenger route, Amtrak stations, yards, cars for commuters and long distance, sleeper cars, diner cars. Seems to be a lot of Amtrak loco's around, but passenger cars are very limited.

Above all, I would love to see a new load/unload Industry track that is easier to use, more user friendly and more user controlled. Currently, it will list every dang commodity in existence. It would be nice to click a box for only the commodities you want to see listed for the subject industry. Also, it would be really nice to easily be able to click on the Industry track after building around it to make commodity changes, without having to move surrounding assets away to access the Industry track.

Chadd04
February 9th, 2016, 03:57 PM
What about unit grain trains to a river side elevator that would allow for the loading of grain barges?

jkinzel
February 9th, 2016, 04:50 PM
What about unit grain trains to a river side elevator that would allow for the loading of grain barges?

Or to a port for loading on ships.

Chadd04
March 1st, 2016, 09:05 PM
Another idea would be like a CAT plant that produces bulldozers or other large equipment where flat cars could be loaded with out going products.

roca999
March 20th, 2016, 06:46 PM
Expand American Intermodal - A seaport with drivable container ship for loading/unloading containers.

rr325
March 20th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Yeah. I second that.
And how about crane/trailers that can take trailers and other lengths of container?

inprr
March 21st, 2016, 03:40 PM
well this is just one place they asked. on their FB the majority was the lumber and paper plants

MeowRailroad
March 21st, 2016, 03:45 PM
A modern day port or harbor might be cool. There could be a few docks, (one for high/wide loads, one for containers, one for paper/products/whatever, a bulk port,coal, etc.), and a few nearby industries, all linked with street running and trackage in tight urban spaces. It would also be a good place to run South Bay engines.

trainman7765
April 10th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Northwest Indiana steel mills, maybe around CP502 of the NS Chicago Line, and the IHB mainline.

poolboy
April 10th, 2016, 11:25 PM
what about a logging industry empy log cars being loaded at one then being taken to anather were unloaded for woodchips

SuperSpeedMaglev
April 11th, 2016, 04:28 AM
Ship building. Deliveries of steel for the vessels and coal for power. General cargo. Would be very large.

Do you mean like an animated thing? Like a crane that 'lifs' goods off the train? If so, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking of.. :hehe:

Stewartbf6
April 25th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Hello,

Late to the game, but in the highly populated area I live in we have to truck our trash to the last landfill in the county, once that is full they're going to send it out to the desert someplace, the most efficient method is rail. The facilities would be a recycling center, including scrap metals, trash to energy, trash transfer and so on. It could include a large crusher/shredder for metal, various cranes and loaders, rotating kilns for drying, etc. Train loads scrap metal to steel mills, other metal recyclers, bundled paper to mills, trash to landfills. etc.

Maybe this is one that would be better to build myself, but would be nice to have various components to model or even imagineer our own industries. Just sayin'

nzld
April 26th, 2016, 04:45 AM
How about one of these bad boys as an operating industry

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/qcHYSF.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/plqcHYSFj)

Gordon

Saieditor
April 26th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Interesting industry.
Is this for transfer to rail?

nzld
April 26th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Transfer to silo then to rail, something along the lines of there intermodal industry.

Gordon

jkinzel
April 26th, 2016, 08:57 AM
The same system is used at the paper mill in Tacoma, WA to dump chip trucks.

Regards,

Lancecline
May 10th, 2016, 08:52 AM
How about a automotive manufacturering complex and a welded rail complex.