PDA

View Full Version : Passenger cars and TANE

whitepass
December 17th, 2015, 11:36 AM
TANE calculates the low LOD that needs to be under 500 polys by using everything that is in the mesh table, this is not good for passenger cars as they can have the left-door/right-door meshes. This makes it impossible to make some cars that have a lot of doors.

What I found on my updating a coach was the low LOD of the body was 262 poly so it should have been fine but I got the over 500 Error. This was do to each door was 125 polys giving me a total of 512 polys. I did fix this but only good for a car with 2 doors, if it had 4 the doors would come to 500 polys.

You can not Cull the doors as there is no a.name to add :Cull to and they are not in the name.lm.txt and Cull dose not work on b.r.name.

We need ether some way to Cull working doors or a fix so that they do not count in the under 500 limit.

WindWalkr
December 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
You've pretty much answered your own question. If you have objects that you need to remove at lower LODs, keep them as attachments and cull the attachments.

chris

norfolksouthern37
December 17th, 2015, 09:31 PM
You can always have the doors as .lm.txt with a single mesh listed in it, thats how I do it for locos and boxcars etc. Simply have the doors cut off completely at a certain distance using the renderCutOff tag in the lm.txt and put the detail on your main mesh lowest lod - if it even needs that as it should be just a few pixels at that point.

Every auxiliary mesh I have listed in my mesh table is this way now - as CM tells you, dont use .im files directly in the mesh table any more if they are overly detailed.

whitepass
December 18th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Thing is to use the built-in auto-doors you can not use an attachment and in 4.3 you can not use a name.lm.txt that only has 125 polys, you will get an Error.

The auto-door script has been around from TRS4 so most station use it.