PDA

View Full Version : Did the last peson leaving N3V turn off the lights.....

VinnyBarb
December 9th, 2015, 04:51 PM
That is what it seems to me lately regarding TANE's progress. Years ago we had alphas and betas and the release of the simulation, now we have release of TANE in March 2015, beta after beta which even subdivide into, say "beta 2a, etc." and as Donald Trump would say: "What the hell is going on?".

As a layman re programming I thought a simple port of TS12 across to Win 64 bit plus improvements and new features etc. added would give us mere mortals TANE as promised. What is indeed going on and why does it indeed take so long to get TANE for us as promised? I am not knocking TANE as such, lots of promises, new features and so on but some simple features which were working beautiful in TS12 are simply not (yet) working in TANE as they were in TS12. I repeatedly listed these which are not working here before so no good repeating these over and over and over.

Any rough idea when TANE will be performing as well or unwell (take your pick) as TS12 does, so we Content Creators who have not given all creating away yet can roughly know? As I also converse regularly with other good Content Creators, which have put a hold on creating, some even for a year already, please give as some indication WHEN, if at all we can create for TANE serious assets (I don't mean scenery items), like locomotives, rolling stock, bridges, tunnels, splines in general, just to name a few, which are working without faults as V4.1 or whatever is needed for TANE.

Please do not say: "TANE will be ready when TANE will be ready", that has been said so many times ad nauseum in the past. Any words from the powers that be WHEN we Content Creators can reasonably expect the final TANE patch, where all the features which were working in TS12 are also working in TANE? For goodness sake, it is nearly 12 months after the initial announcement of a TANE release at Christmas last year.

It can be seen be the deafening silence of this and the other creator forums at what state Content Creating has sunk. In other forums it is usually issues after issues with TANE which are listed.

I rest my case.

FWIW

VinnyBarb

WindWalkr
December 9th, 2015, 07:23 PM
As a layman re programming I thought a simple port of TS12 across to Win 64 bit plus improvements and new features etc. added would give us mere mortals TANE as promised.

That's not really what T:ANE is, and we've never claimed it was this. As per the name, T:ANE is "a new era" for Trainz and is a complete rebuild of the game around a new, modern, purpose-built engine. We've basically re-done the work of the last 14 years within the space of about two years. The majority of recent effort has not been going into making T:ANE work- it's been working fine for quite a while- but in making T:ANE work exactly like TS12 so that content is completely compatible.

Any rough idea when TANE will be performing as well or unwell (take your pick) as TS12 does

I guess that depends on your metric. For me, I would say that it's worked better than TS12 since release. It was definitely uneven across the board- in some areas, there were problems that TS12 didn't have, but in others, it far exceeded TS12.

As of the more recent trainzdev builds and the T:ANE SP1 beta builds, I would say that T:ANE exceeds TS12 in pretty much every area.

chris