PDA

View Full Version : slopes

goomermatt
December 9th, 2015, 01:35 AM
hi all.
I have been trying to make a gentle slope for ages .
every time it is to steep.
is it possible to make a board say zero one end and say five the other.
thanks for any help.
matt

BuilderBob
December 9th, 2015, 01:59 AM
hi all.
I have been trying to make a gentle slope for ages

What procedure have you been using? If you create a gentle gradient you should be able to apply it to the whole board, keep the threshold value low, and get the slope you need.

JCitron
December 9th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Bob mentions one way.

The other is to use a displacement map to raise up the gradient slowly using various shades of grey with black being the lowest and white being the highest point. Once the gradient is created in a an image program, clone an installed displacement map and substitute your images in it. When you adjust the intensity knob on the displacement map tool, it will adjust the steepness of the grades and therefore the height of the slop. If I'm not mistaken, there may already be one in the game if not I may have seen one on the DLS.

The other way is to run a road spline or track spline the whole length of the baseboard up to the height you want and then smooth the terrain under the spline. This will raise up the gradient very easily. The problem with this method is you'll need to place multiple splines next to each other if you want this wider than a single road or track. This method is great for short slopes and cuttings as it removes the stepped wedding cake effect caused by the grid edges.

John

Vern
December 9th, 2015, 05:56 AM
For real world terrain there is always the excellent Transdem!

goomermatt
December 10th, 2015, 09:15 AM
thanks all

BuilderBob
December 10th, 2015, 04:11 PM
thanks all

Note that there is no need for your gradient to go from white to black. It could be a any subset of that range. By keeping the gradient range small, you get more control over the amount of rise through the offset setting, albeit at the expense of a reduced number of steps in the grade.