PDA

View Full Version : Another question to Chris re attachment points in TANE....

VinnyBarb
November 19th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I created an asset as a test creation, the Hotel Tilnowle 04, which is installed as "payware" in TANE and the Hotel Tilnowle 09, which is on the DLS. When looking at both of the hotels, which are identical except only their configuration and Kuid number different. This hotel is a double story building, it has a large balcony and a large veranda around it. On the balcony, which has 2 horizontal timber rails, some vertical posts and heaps of upright picket planks "nailed" to the horizontal timber rails. The veranda with roof around the hotel has quite a few vertical posts incorporate in it, plus by memory, I have several night mode lights attached to it as well.

For testing purposes I created one instance mesh only of each of the vertical balcony rails, the posts these rails are attached to, the vertical planks on it, the veranda posts, the lights and probably some other items too. All these single meshes are attached per attachment points where they should be in place on the hotel. All around I used somewhat over 100 attachment points in that asset. As said, it was for testing purposes only but I decided to upload both hotels to the DLS as they are, with all the many attachment points.

My question is, performance wise, which is the better way to create, with attachment points as outlined above or if I have all the meshes for the balcony created together with their 8 or so horizontal balcony timber rails, all the timber posts (a dozen or so) and the in between planks (some 30 or so), all the posts the veranda has (again some dozen or so), all the lights and so on incorporated separately in the main mesh?

I am asking, since I have my 3DS Max creating "Mojo" back, which I lost after TANE's release, I would like to make sure to create correct TANE content, as I now will only create for TANE, time permitting.

Thank you for any answers

VinnyBarb

WindWalkr
November 19th, 2015, 07:44 PM
1x1000 polygons is far more efficient than 100x10 polygons.

chris

VinnyBarb
November 19th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the answer, that settles it. I only made that particular asset as a test, why would James Moody still use my created asset as a build in asset in TANE?

The world works in mysterious ways, I guess.

VinnyBarb

WindWalkr
November 19th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the answer, that settles it. I only made that particular asset as a test, why would James Moody still use my created asset as a build in asset in TANE?

Why the assumption that it was James? Typically the way that a DLS route becomes included into the game is that a content creator submits a route which references that asset. Why the content creator chose to use your asset is only something that they could answer :)

chris

S301
November 20th, 2015, 12:15 AM
*puts hand up* That'd be my fault, sort of, as the hotel is used on my Healesville route.

I didn't choose it for any performance reasons. Many of the buildings on the route between Mooroolbark and Tarrawarra were placed in 2010/2011 (Healesville to Tarrawarra were mostly in place in 2008/2009/2010), and as such I was using the 'newest' assets available at the time. In this case, it was the best looking hotel (actually, I'm pretty sure all of the hotels on the route are yours :) ), and the best fit for the location. If there is a version that is a single mesh, rather than multiple instances, could you let me know which name/kuid it is? I'll try to swap it out if I get a chance to update the route (I would love to upgrade it to use the interlocking towers, and fix a few things) :)

Regards
Zec

VinnyBarb
November 20th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Hi Zec, the Tilnowle Hotel was the only asset I ever created with so many attachment points as a test, all other of my created hotels are normally created. You might swap the Railway Hotel (I think, if not this, it is one of the others) on your route, it is an old version and has a graphic glitch in the roof, which is easy to spot. The newer reworked version (TS09 or so) does not have this.

@Chris, I assumed it was James Moody who used this hotel as a build in into TANE as I received a list from him of some of my created assets which will be (now they are) included in TANE.

VinnyBarb