PDA

View Full Version : Naming of signals for Interlocking Towers

S301
November 6th, 2015, 02:08 AM
Hi All
I'm not sure if this has been bought up elsewhere (I haven't noticed it in the other threads for interlocking towers). However it appears that the interlocking is using the object name, which in turn is potentially going to cause some issues for prototype signalling.

When looking at 'traditional' signalling (as in, a yard being operated from a local 'signalbox' of some form, even with modern computer based systems in the station building), the signalling often used just a number on the post. IF we use the built-in Healesville route as an example, the signals were numbered sequentially from the 'west' end toward the 'east' end, numbered 1, 2, 3, etc till the last signal is reached. Each station with an 'interlocked' yard would then have a similar setup.

Unfortunately, this results in conflicting names on multiple objects (this wasn't a major issue in TS12, for the most part).

What I'm wondering is if we could have a way of having a separate 'name' field for the signals that allows us to enter the visible ID number, as against the name shown at the top of the properties window. Remember that the name plate on a signal mast is generally very small, often only big enough to take 2-3 characters. The automatic names used will never fit these, so we end up with free floating text. And to make names that will fit, and look realistic (comprised of just numbers), will mean that the interlocking towers will not work effectively.

Regards
Zec

WindWalkr
January 12th, 2016, 07:55 PM
The thing to do here is probably to have the signals use a different display name than their scripted name. This would require custom support for name entry in their properties, and then a mechanism which propagates this alternate display name through to the text effects. This is all quite achievable without any native changes.

chris