PDA

View Full Version : LOD Distance Control

andi06
October 10th, 2015, 03:33 PM
This is brilliant, for the first time it gives us the ability to see exactly what is happening at LOD changes. Rather than straining our eyes into the far distance trying to make out which bits of which mesh can be seen, we can now display the LOD reduced meshes at a constant size.

These examples show what the loco meshes will display at 50,100 and 200 metres.

There is an obvious cockup here, I have a bogie at 50 metres and the bogie is represented in the main mesh at 250 metres but at 100 metres the bogie is simply missing. So its immediately apparent that I need to modify the bogie LOD scheme to drop the mesh a little later.

This has come about because LOD 3 for the traincar cuts in at mesh("0.15"); level and the main bogie has its RenderCutOff flag set at the same level. But these values are based on the bounding spheres of the traincar and bogie respectively and since the two objects are very different in size their bounding spheres have very different values. So 0.15 for the traincar is NOT the same as 0.15 for the bogie.

Whilst its no doubt possible to convert these percentage values to distances in metres it would be much more convenient if we were able to use the same values to specify all of the asset components.

Would it be possible to provide a 'Version 2' LM.txt format where the LOD distances are specified in metres.
This would:

Make it far easier to create consistent LOD schemes involving sub-meshes of different sizes
Be consistent with the way that LOD cut-offs are specified for mesh-table lods and in track-lod-trees.

Dinorius_Redundicus
October 10th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Brilliant yes, but what is it? The images even after expansion are too small to quite make out what utility it is and what the text says. Is it part of some new version of AssetX?

andi06
October 10th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Its Asset Preview in the new development build.

VinnyBarb
October 10th, 2015, 07:12 PM
What I do with my created locomotives (as others most likely do too) is to place a different coloured cube above the locomotive for each different LOD and a same coloured oblong box high above the bogies to see where these changes in the various LOD distances take place. Hence it is relatively easy for me to change this in the LM.txt and coordinate a certain LOD change at the same distance for both locomotive and bogies as no matter what anyone says, sometimes these LOD changes are sometimes a bit obvious to notice. If this can happen for both LODs of bogies and locomotive at the same time, it will minimize this somewhat.

Nevertheless, having this value in meters in the LM.txt will simplify this tremendously in an instance, LOD transition of both of the locomotive body and the bogies will be simultaneous and I am all for it. Lets hope the powers that be listen to this.

VinnyBarb

VinnyBarb
October 10th, 2015, 07:28 PM
I should also point out I do have a 40" monitor, where I can observe the important LOD changes in the distance a bit clearer, which makes it easier for me to decide where I do these in the LM.txt. It is mainly the LOD0 and LOD1 changes which are very important to lessen the transition as the other LODs are usually much further away to be noticeable.

VinnyBarb

norfolksouthern37
October 10th, 2015, 07:39 PM
oh great this works now? i dont have the latest preview build but before this was only blank entries in the dialog that do apparently nothing.

WindWalkr
October 10th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Nevertheless, having this value in meters in the LM.txt will simplify this tremendously

We do this internally anyway, so exposing it should be pretty straightforward.

chris

pcas1986
October 11th, 2015, 01:27 AM

Would it be possible to provide a 'Version 2' LM.txt format where the LOD distances are specified in metres.
This would:

Make it far easier to create consistent LOD schemes involving sub-meshes of different sizes
Be consistent with the way that LOD cut-offs are specified for mesh-table lods and in track-lod-trees.

This would be far simpler. Like VinnyBarb, I've been using coloured shapes to indicate LOD changes but, with potentially quite a few attached meshes now using LOD, it can become messy. But I'd like some clarification and have a further suggestion.

I believe each attached mesh that uses LOD also uses its own bounding box as a reference point for calculating distance? I.E. It doesn't use the bounding box of the parent mesh. This means that there will always be some variation between LOD changes even if the distance in metres were the same.

It would be nice if there an option within the LM.TXT to specify that the LOD distance be taken from the parent mesh.

andi06
October 11th, 2015, 04:57 AM
There is also an issue with scripted sub-meshes in this viewer. The TS12 version of this loco has 'auto-create 1' set for the uncoupled version of the coupler meshes but in the TANE version this has been changed to 'auto-create 0' in order to avoid falling foul of the < 500 poly error. This isn't an issue in-game because the coupler mesh visibility is being initialised by script.

However existing Init() methods are not running in the Preview window. The net result of this is that scripted submeshes are not showing up in the Preview window.

VinnyBarb
October 11th, 2015, 06:17 PM
We do this internally anyway, so exposing it should be pretty straightforward.

chris

You mean, by implementing this...., there is no exposing yourself needed. This is the problem with you people, you live in a different world to us, sometimes it might help to have a dictionary, so we mere mortals will know what is actually meant. By this I mean the above statement and some parts of the Wiki, as someone else said long ago, KISS :hehe:.

In jest

VinnyBarb