PDA

View Full Version : Will there be any kind of download queue implemented in CM?

JCitron
September 19th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I received a PM from Ahsan regarding this.

The question boiled down to the inability to stop and restart a download session of queued up assets without losing what was added to the queue but not downloaded yet.

Here's the scenario. A user has found 5,000 assets to download and has downloaded perhaps 2,500 of them. For one reason or another he has to quit from CM and T:ANE and then later on goes back to Content Manager only to find he has to go through the same selection and downloading process all over again for these remaining 2,500 assets of the 5,000 he chose previously.

I'm sure a workaround solution (I always look for band-aides and bailing wire approaches for things first), is to build a filter based on the current content selection. This may work, however, a more permanent solution is needed such as the old download manager/queue we had in TS12 and below.

John

WindWalkr
September 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM
No, we won't be bringing back the old download manager. It has a lot of downsides which we can avoid by handling things differently.

The choices here are:

1. As you say, users can actually do this right now with filters, but it's not exactly ideal.
2. We will be implementing drag-and-drop style picklists in the future. These will be automatically saved across sessions, and could easily be used for (re)starting a download.
3. We may introduce automatic window restore including resume of downloads in the future. This is a no-brainer on Mac but will require some additional thought on Windows because of the differences in how you exit a program.

chris

JCitron
September 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks Chris for the prompt reply. The pick-list type of addition may be a good solution in the future.

John