PDA

View Full Version : Ground Texture reflections

S301
August 19th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Hi All
I noted the other day that the 'env' reflections on ground textures aren't functioning in TANE.

In TS12, the alpha channel of the diffuse texture controlled the amount of reflection (in that case, the sky reflection, as per tbumpenv and water). TANE seems to have lost this functionality.

I am curious though, if we see this return, could we possibly have the option to use the 'water' reflection to some degree on a texture?

A texture with the water reflection could be extremely useful for creating puddles, shallow creeks, and similar without having to fight with the water being perfectly level.

Regards
Zec

BuilderBob
August 19th, 2015, 08:45 PM
In TS12, the alpha channel of the diffuse texture controlled the amount of reflection (in that case, the sky reflection, as per tbumpenv and water). TANE seems to have lost this functionality.

According to this page:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Normal_map

it is the alpha channel of the normal map that controls the specular. I am sure that I have done icy patches on roads and painted stripes in parking lots like that, and it was very effective. But I will have to find the assets and check it out to confirm.

S301
August 19th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Hi Bob
In this case I'm talking about the reflections, rather than specular highlights.

As with the 'tbumpenv' material on other assets, the ground textures use the diffuse texture's alpha channel to control the intensity of the reflections. As per your post, the alpha channel controls the intensity of the specular highlights.

Regards

Pencil42
August 20th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I'll second that request - it would also be good for marshes / swamps, where otherwise you'd have to deal with z-fighting between the ground and water objects.

Curtis

JCitron
August 20th, 2015, 11:19 AM
This is a really nice request. I agree with Curtis. as this is really great for modeling salt marshes and wet areas like this. Currently I have the z-fighting as I try to get the shallow areas to look right with the water as the current textures don't look quite right.

http://binged.it/1WHdKgl

itareus
August 20th, 2015, 08:33 PM
JC, I'm in agreement about the functionality. Now (referring to that other thread about suggestions - where volunteers emerged) how are we (you :p) going to follow this up with Chris B :). To my mind this comes under 'bug fixing' as it is lost functionality but it's hardly top priority as only a few people know about and use this. However if it breaks major assets...

In this case I guess Zec can walk a few yards (metres?) and chew Chris's ear but how do we volunteers flag this for follow up and save Mr B having to wade through the whole forum ? I'm thinking of that other thread again...

Chris

WindWalkr
August 20th, 2015, 09:56 PM
how are we (you :p) going to follow this up with Chris B :).

As always, any issues that you want to bring up for our attention should be placed into their own thread on this forum.

In this case I guess Zec can walk a few yards (metres?) and chew Chris's ear but how do we volunteers flag this for follow up and save Mr B having to wade through the whole forum ?

Zec doesn't actually work in the same office, or state. Might be a long walk. :)

chris

JCitron
August 20th, 2015, 10:51 PM
JC, I'm in agreement about the functionality. Now (referring to that other thread about suggestions - where volunteers emerged) how are we (you :p) going to follow this up with Chris B :). To my mind this comes under 'bug fixing' as it is lost functionality but it's hardly top priority as only a few people know about and use this. However if it breaks major assets...

In this case I guess Zec can walk a few yards (metres?) and chew Chris's ear but how do we volunteers flag this for follow up and save Mr B having to wade through the whole forum ? I'm thinking of that other thread again...

Chris

So if this is a bug, then let's put it in a found bugs thread. Not the main one where people ask about incompatible video cards, even though that's a hardware problem, and these things would get lost in the faff, but in our own here in this forum.

How does that sound, Chris M and Chris B? :)

As always, any issues that you want to bring up for our attention should be placed into their own thread on this forum.

Zec doesn't actually work in the same office, or state. Might be a long walk. :)

chris

Interesting... We were all always under the impression you all were stuffed in tiny cubes in an office. :)

Zec is about the same distance I am driving wise from my house to Baltimore, MD, a 6 hour train ride on Acela, or 8-hour drive.

John

WindWalkr
August 20th, 2015, 11:42 PM
So if this is a bug, then let's put it in a found bugs thread.

As above, anything that you want to bring to N3V's attention should go into its own thread on this forum. That's the limit of it- although you can bump it from time to time if you don't feel that it's getting enough attention (not too often, please, or all we'll have in here are bumps.)

If you've done that, then it's up to us to process it, and we'll get to that when we get to it. If I believe that it's been handled appropriately, I'll tick the thread and close it, as previously discussed.

If you post on one of the build threads or somewhere similar where there are a lot of topics going on, there are no guarantees that we'll ever act on it- especially if it sounds like something that is still being investigated by the community here.

chris