PDA

View Full Version : DLS Cleanup List Maintenance

BuilderBob
August 18th, 2015, 05:40 PM
New items are now being added to the cleanup list, for the first time in a long time.

However, the existing list seriously needs purging before new items are added.

There are many items currently in the list that cannot be repaired by the community, to any build level. This is mostly items that have already been upgraded and never removed from the list, including many that are now built in. Also, some are so incomplete (eg, missing all their textures) that repair is pointless, or rely on features that are no longer supported such as paintshed, or have unrepairable scripts or have critical dependencies which are no longer available or are themselves unrepairable. Of the ~300 items in the list before the latest additions, I estimate that only a maximum of about 50 are potentially repairable. Leaving these unrepairable items in the list serves no purpos and makes it difficult for those who just pick at the list looking for interesting things to work on. It means that the objective of an empty list is unobtainable.

I think that maintaining the list so that the items it contains are genuinely repairable and recoverable is an effort worth undertaking. This requires a reporting mechanism where unrepairable items can be advised and removed from the list. It should be possible to involve the community in this part of the list management as a means of extending the contribution that members can make to the cleanup process. Perhaps 'List moderators' can be appointed in a role similar to forum moderators. At the very least there needs to be a list of items that are not worth attempting, and a way of reporting items that need attention, such as a dependency that should also be on the list so they can be repaired together.

Steps have already been taken to allow TS12 users to manage their downloads better, clearing the decks for 4.2 to be the minimum build number for repairs. Whatever the process becomes, I believe that a bit of additional work in managing the list will go a long way to getting faulty items out of the DLS and up to current standards.

Edit/ Another 500+ items just added. PLEASE suspend these updates until the unrepairable items are removed. The complexity of hunting for items that can actually be fixed makes it difficult and frustrating for people who would like to be part of the process. The point is to make it as easy as possible, and cluttering up the list with items that cannot be repaired is pointless. Now is the right time to do the cleanout - before the new items are added.

At the very least run the list in an 'asset versions' query against the DLS to select the items already upgraded.
/Edit

whitepass
August 19th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Some way to lock a KUID to one build would be good, IE lock all Paintshed things to a maximum build number.

I am the only one that ever made new Paintshed templets and there is no way to update them or a need for them.

BuilderBob
August 24th, 2015, 09:15 PM
This is an example:

GWR 1924 57 comp St Ives and Penzance,<kuid2:86627:100194:1>

It is build 2.9 and works fine in TS12 at that build or at build 3.5. But it cannot work in T:ANE because of non-standard texture files in the mesh. There is no point in upgrading it to 3.5. It should not be in the list. But there seems to be no way of getting it off the list without upgrading it. It's a waste of effort that could be better directed to other assets that can be used in the latest version when repaired.

Mike10
August 25th, 2015, 02:06 AM
or rely on features that are no longer supported

Another example of this is my animated fixed track junctions.
I did not update these during the last cleanup as I know they don't work properly in TRS2004 or later (without invisible track and other workarounds).
Unfortunately someone else decided to be helpful and update them for me, leading to me getting a series of "how do these work then?" e-mails.

I've been in touch with the team to see if these can be left off the list this time around and just leave them in the past.

JCitron
August 25th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Another example of this is my animated fixed track junctions.
I did not update these during the last cleanup as I know they don't work properly in TRS2004 or later (without invisible track and other workarounds).
Unfortunately someone else decided to be helpful and update them for me, leading to me getting a series of "how do these work then?" e-mails.

I've been in touch with the team to see if these can be left off the list this time around and just leave them in the past.

I agree this can be an issue, though your junctions work great as templates to lay the track over to get the proper curve and angle. :)

Things also need to be tested in the Trainz version the asset is being updated for.

I've run into various locomotives that were updated, show up with no errors, but do not function due to semantical errors in the config.txt and engine specs.

John

BuilderBob
August 25th, 2015, 06:01 PM
A quick search reveals 16 assets with a revision level of :127. It is not possible to create uploadable versions of these assets, regardless of whether or not they are repairable. They shouldn't be in the list.

BuilderBob
August 25th, 2015, 06:07 PM
I've run into various locomotives that were updated, show up with no errors, but do not function due to semantical errors in the config.txt and engine specs.

I should be possible to report these and get them put straight back into the list.

But note that many of the repairs done under the current protocol created traincars that didn't work because their dependencies (usually bogeys) didn't work, and weren't in the list. That's another reason that it should be possible to request items be put into the list.

WindWalkr
September 16th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Just a quick update- we'll be setting up a small group of experienced creators to deal with this kind of problem. More details will be forthcoming at a later date, but I just wanted to mention that it is being dealt with.

chris