PDA

View Full Version : Content Manager (CM) - Status reporting of Builtins suppressed if asset modified

ianwoodmore
August 17th, 2015, 03:48 PM
During experiments at upversioning assets to TB 3.7 while viewed in Trainzdev build 77730 I was quite successful but I came across a problem in trying to determine why the powerlines in DHR were the infamous pink and green but not a single asset out of 1,869 was faulty.

CM was no help. It said they were status "Modified" but then so was everything else. As these were Auran assets I suspected that I had inadvertently modified builtins despite my precautions to exclude builtins. This indeed was the problem. Solution "revert to original"

One of the difficulties in hunting down problems of this nature is that assets like powerlines and catenaries often have cryptic usernames. and yes Auran builtins and ex-builtins often don't have names at all. In this particular case they did.

Faultfinding would have been a lot easier in the above DHR example if the status of the powerlines had read "Builtin,Modified" rather than "Modified".

Considering the number of reported issues of pink and green textured assets in the Main Forum, I strongly recommend a change in CM status reporting to ensure any Builtin asset is identified regardless of its defect status.

WindWalkr
September 16th, 2015, 10:39 PM
At the end of the day, we can't possibly display every single status flag and still have the content readable. While flagging the content as "builtin" may have helped you realise what was going on in this instance, it probably wouldn't help other people in other instances. I don't think adding this here is worthwhile.

Adding a warning to all built-in or DLS content which has been locally modified might work.

Thoughts?

chris