PDA

View Full Version : TS12 downloading inappropriate content

WindWalkr
August 17th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Hi all,

We've recently made some changes to how the DLS responds to certain CM queries, with the aim of reducing or preventing the case where an older game version attempts to download an inappropriate newer version of the content. This change is live now, so I'd like to ask for your help in testing it.

Specifically, the following is expected to happen in TS12 SP1:

* When downloading a given asset, CM will automatically attempt to download the latest version of any necessary dependencies. The definition of "latest" should now include an awareness of which game version is attempting the download, rather than necessarily being the latest available version.

* If you instruct CM to download an inappropriate asset version, I believe that it should report a failure.

* If you instruct CM to download an asset for which an inappropriate newer version is available, I believe that CM will successfully perform the download, however the new asset will not be usable in your build.

* If you use the "Download This Version" command in CM to download an asset for which an inappropriate newer version is available, I believe that CM will successfully download the requested asset version, which will work in your build.

Could you let me know if these expectations match your own findings. Could you also let me know if you're seeing big problems relating to this process anywhere else (ie. when downloading from within the game, or via any other mechanism not described here.)

chris

andi06
August 17th, 2015, 02:41 AM
This is not 100% clear.

Given that TS12 SP1 equates to trainz-build 3.7, are you saying that:

1. TS12 SP1 should never download a 3.8 or higher asset.
2. If requested to do so it will substitute the latest available 3.7 or lower version if necessary.

Will assets still be tagged as obsolete if a later version exists but only for a higher build?
What should be happening on an attempt to install an 'inappropriate' asset by dragging and dropping a cdp or folder?

pcas1986
August 17th, 2015, 02:56 AM
This going to be tricky to test but here are a couple of results so far:

* If you instruct CM to download an inappropriate asset version, I believe that it should report a failure.

I tried to download one of PhilSkene's routes that is build 4.2. CM put it in the download helper but it showed as red. If you hover the mouse over the item in the download helper it said that the asset was inappropriate for this version. That seems appropriate to me.

I then downloaded a 3.7 route that included a "Silo MFA" asset by Deane (Dinorius-Redundicus) that he had updated for T:ANE. The download successfully downloaded all the needed assets but marked Deane's asset as "update available". By using the Versions Available command you can see that the update is 4.2 and therefore not applicable. I'm happy with that outcome.

I'll test some more when I figure out some suitable tests.

pcas1986
August 17th, 2015, 03:00 AM
This is not 100% clear...

Didn't see this before I posted but I think my second test answers some of those questions but not the last. This was only one test so may not be conclusive.

pguy
August 17th, 2015, 11:56 AM
As I no longer have a TS12 version, I tested the downloads station html web pages instead of CM.

I confirm that if I request a TS12 version for an asset already updated with a 3.8 version, it display the latest version compatible with 3.7 and ignore the presence of the new 3.8 asset. This seems fine for me, as it should avoid that TS12 users download by error a 3.8 or 4.2 version of an asset breaking some installed and operational sets of assets.

Regards.
Pierre.

clam1952
August 19th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Tried a few tests here and it seems to be working OK 3.8 upwards are now now coming up red and not suitable for this version in TS12 61388
and 49922 is no longer trying to download 3.7 upwards. Looks like a winner to me.

Dinorius_Redundicus
August 19th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Hallelujah !

Just saw this. A really important and long overdue fix. Well done.

Since it involved code changes to the DLS, does it also fix the same problem in other previous versions of Content Manager (eg. TS2010)?

-

WindWalkr
August 20th, 2015, 02:07 AM
Since it involved code changes to the DLS, does it also fix the same problem in other previous versions of Content Manager (eg. TS2010)?

TBD. The CM download process is a collaboration between the DLS and the client installation. Different builds have varying levels of smarts about how much the DLS response is trusted vs how much the local data and algorithms are trusted. We have some options for biasing the clientside decision-making, but each comes with certain downsides so we need to tread carefully and test a lot.

chris

Dinorius_Redundicus
August 20th, 2015, 02:21 AM
We can live in hope until a definite answer emerges then. Thanks for the detailed reply.

clam1952
August 20th, 2015, 06:54 AM
Hallelujah !

Just saw this. A really important and long overdue fix. Well done.

-

Just tried TS2010 44088 v3.3 which is now not downloading 3.5 upwards looks to be good.