PDA

View Full Version : CM search filters for Upload Date and Modification of Faulty

ianwoodmore
July 25th, 2015, 04:07 PM
When downloading I find that one of the easiest ways to discover the latest available assets is sort 'Upload Date' column in order Latest-Oldest then highlight the day's assets.

Currently there is no 'Upload Date' filter, and I recommend we implement one.

This could then be used in conjunction with the calenders as per the 'Today' filter to select a range of assets since a particular date.

Example

Installed True
AND
Upload Date Mon Jun 01, 2015
AND NOT
Upload Date Wed Jul 01, 2015

Would display assets for the month of June 2015.

Installed True
AND
Upload Date Mon Jan 01, 2001
AND NOT
Upload Date Wed Jul 28, 2015

Would display a range of assets from a given Upload Date up to and including 'Today'

Currently this can be achieved for Date Installed or Date Modified by using the calender.

Selecting the calender icon;

click RMB between the arrows enables you to select 'Go to Today'; or

click LMB between the arrows enables you to toggle dates;

1 - Month Year eg January 2012
2 - Year eg display the selected months Jan through Dec
3 - Decade eg 2000-2009

This toggle essentially enables fast selection of a date to start or end your selection.

This selection can then be further refined in conjunction with other filters such as Author, Category, Faulty.

However, note that Faulty is a composite filter that displays the sum of Faulty, Faulty Dependencies and Missing Dependencies.
It would be preferable that these are separate because:

1. Faulty is prime target for repair or exclusion. Faulty inhibits use of asset in Driver, Surveyor or Preview.
2. Faulty Dependencies means that the asset viewed is quite likely OK but a Dependency or Dependency of a dependency is faulty which should already be covered as a Faulty in its own right. This also inhibits use as per Faulty.
3. A Missing Dependency does not prevent viewing in Preview Asset Viewer nor does it inhibit use in Surveyor or ability to select Route or Session in Driver. Indeed depending on what it is, it may not detract from the scenery or noticeable as missing. Obviously if it is bogeys then the traincar will look silly but immediately visible.

In Summary:

a. Provide a new CM search filter for 'Date Uploaded' with calender selection.
b. Modify the TANE default search filter named 'Faulty' as it is confusing and non-homogeneous for workflow purposes. For more complex filters custom selections are a better choice.

clam1952
July 25th, 2015, 04:17 PM
When downloading I find that one of the easiest ways to discover the latest available assets is sort 'Upload Date' column in order Latest-Oldest then highlight the day's assets.

Currently there is no 'Upload Date' filter, and I recommend we implement one.

Agreed, that's what I've been doing and I think we or rather the less techy users need a filter.

WindWalkr
July 25th, 2015, 08:26 PM
1. Faulty is prime target for repair or exclusion. Faulty inhibits use of asset in Driver, Surveyor or Preview.
2. Faulty Dependencies means that the asset viewed is quite likely OK but a Dependency or Dependency of a dependency is faulty which should already be covered as a Faulty in its own right. This also inhibits use as per Faulty.
3. A Missing Dependency does not prevent viewing in Preview Asset Viewer nor does it inhibit use in Surveyor or ability to select Route or Session in Driver. Indeed depending on what it is, it may not detract from the scenery or noticeable as missing. Obviously if it is bogeys then the traincar will look silly but immediately visible.

You're thinking as a content creator. Content creators are typically more than capable of building their own filters based on their workflow needs. The default filters are built with "normal end-users" in mind, and the filter is simply intended to answer the question of "will this asset work?"

chris

JCitron
July 25th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Agreed, that's what I've been doing and I think we or rather the less techy users need a filter.

This is one of the searches I use often.

I also setup Obsolete AND NOT Built-in, Faulty-only, and Missing Dependencies-only.

The built-in Faulty includes missing as well as faulty which is a bit confusing. Having just the faulty separate makes fixing the broken stuff easier.

John