PDA

View Full Version : Warning! This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number.

Pencil42
July 15th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Do we need a warning for this? Does this give any useful information? Especially since warnings aren't readily visible in the 'Manage Content' window and end users aren't likely to see them....

The reason I ask is that since the .tga/.texture error has been downgraded to a warning, I'd like to adjust my filters to manage my backlog of things to fix / update. Unfortunately, filtering on warnings doesn't work very well, as I get a hit on almost every one of my assets due to the above warning. I'd much prefer to be able to see 'real' warnings (lod, tga, etc) so I can focus on updating those assets first.

Thank you,
Curtis

WindWalkr
July 15th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Do we need a warning for this? Does this give any useful information? Especially since warnings aren't readily visible in the 'Manage Content' window and end users aren't likely to see them....

All the more reason to add more warnings. As long as they're not freaking people out, warnings that present meaningful information are all positives with no real negative.

Is it useful? Sure. It tells you that the content is old, and that means (for example) if you build a route around it, you may not be able to redistribute that route. If tells you that if you're creating a new item which is set to an old version, you're probably making a mistake. It tells you that if you are fixing the content for re-upload, you're also going to have to update it. And so on. Are any of these critical for any given user? No, otherwise it would be an error and not a warning. But there are enough scenarios where being old *is* a problem, that it's worth pointing out.

The reason I ask is that since the .tga/.texture error has been downgraded to a warning, I'd like to adjust my filters to manage my backlog of things to fix / update. Unfortunately, filtering on warnings doesn't work very well, as I get a hit on almost every one of my assets due to the above warning. I'd much prefer to be able to see 'real' warnings (lod, tga, etc) so I can focus on updating those assets first.

Be careful with that one; just because we're not flagging it as faulty currently doesn't mean that it's being handled correctly. It just means that we understand that "kind of working to some degree" may be better in the short term than "not working at all" for that content. It means that fixing this stuff isn't quite as urgent perhaps, but doesn't mean that it actually works as intended.

chris

Pencil42
July 15th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Is it useful? Sure. It tells you that the content is old, and that means (for example) if you build a route around it, you may not be able to redistribute that route.
Well, since the warnings aren't visible in surveyor, their use to route builders is limited (IMHO).

Other issues, such as creating new content under an old build number, will be flagged at DLS upload time.

Again IMHO, but I think that the trainz-build (which is readily visible in CM) gives the same information as the out-of-date warning, plus some - as it shows how far out of date it is.

I agree on fixing the tga / texture issue, the problem is now finding them to fix them. Sorting through a list of 500 items with warnings (most of which are just the out-of-date warning) to find the 80 remaining tga errors is not a pleasant task.

Thanks for listening :)
Curtis

WindWalkr
July 15th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Well, since the warnings aren't visible in surveyor, their use to route builders is limited (IMHO).

Perhaps. Depends on the route creator, and whether they do any review of the content that they're planning to use.

Other issues, such as creating new content under an old build number, will be flagged at DLS upload time.

A bit late by that point.

Again IMHO, but I think that the trainz-build (which is readily visible in CM) gives the same information as the out-of-date warning, plus some - as it shows how far out of date it is.

It gives you the information, but it doesn't indicate that it might be a problem.

chris