PDA

View Full Version : Updates and build 77196

WindWalkr
July 12th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

A new internal test build is available (you'll find the download details in the same place as the last one.) I'd appreciate it if you give it a spin when you have a free moment, and give your feedback. If you've reported a problem on request on this forum and your thread is still open, please check against this build to see if any improvements have been made. If there are relevant changes, please post on your thread to indicate whether you're happy with them or whether additional work is required.

Performance settings have been tweaked. You may find that the performance varies a little at the same settings, especially on low-to-mid settings. Don't assume that the settings you were using with the retail build are still the best settings for you.

The asset preview window now includes a few performance-related details. This is very much a work-in-progress. The LOD (etc) selectors are not functional at this stage, and several of the metrics do not have any data. Additional metrics will be added at a later date. We may also add some debug view modes eventually.

Hope you've all had a good week,

chris

andi06
July 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
If you've reported a problem on request on this forum and your thread is still open, please check against this build to see if any improvements have been made. If there are relevant changes, please post on your thread to indicate whether you're happy with them or whether additional work is required.
Sorry Chris but this is unrealistic. I've made dozens of bug reports on CentreCode and many more here and as far as feature requests are concerned its not always clear which have been accepted for immediate action and which are maybe/sometime.

I don't expect a detailed changelog but you need to give at least an indication of where you have and have not been working, otherwise we are totally in the dark.

So you can either help us to help you, or tell us where to send the invoices.

Andi

WindWalkr
July 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Sorry Chris but this is unrealistic. I've made dozens of bug reports on CentreCode..

I'm not talking about CenterCode.

.. and many more here and as far as feature requests are concerned its not always clear which have been accepted for immediate action and which are maybe/sometime.

I don't expect a detailed changelog but you need to give at least an indication of where you have and have not been working, otherwise we are totally in the dark.

So you can either help us to help you, or tell us where to send the invoices.

Simply put, the work is not complete, the internal testing is not complete, and the changelist won't be complete for a while yet. I'm after a status update from your end. This is not beta testing, i'm not asking for you to spend ages exhaustively testing the build. I would like for you to start using it, and as you find changes, let me know what you think.

chris

andi06
July 12th, 2015, 09:39 AM
Crash to Desktop when exiting a Quickdrive session using Main Menu / Exit Driver. No crashdump, nothing in log.

rumour3
July 12th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Not off to a great start. ECML freightliner session produces an immediate crash to desktop as soon as the loading screen disappears.

WindWalkr
July 12th, 2015, 09:52 AM
Okay, thanks guys. Guess if you haven't already downloaded it, it's not looking like it's worthwhile. Have seen a single crash locally but sounds like you guys are seeing it a lot more frequently. Not sure what the trigger is, as yet.

chris

andi06
July 12th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I'm not talking about CenterCode.
Nor am I, I'm just pointing out that I don't have a separate copy of many of the issues that I've raised or have an interest in.

Simply put, the work is not complete, the internal testing is not complete, and the changelist won't be complete for a while yet. I'm after a status update from your end. This is not beta testing, i'm not asking for you to spend ages exhaustively testing the build. I would like for you to start using it, and as you find changes, let me know what you think.
All of this is understood but my comment still stands. You are offering a new car to try out with an invitation to comment on its advantages or otherwise over a previous model but you aren't saying 'the suspension hasn't changed' or 'its a completely new braking system'.

You know what you have been working on since the last build - you can't provide details and this is fair enough but for heaven's sake give us a couple of pointers.

WindWalkr
July 12th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Sadly, it's not quite that simple. I understand where you're coming from, but what you need as an answer is a full changelist and we're not currently in a position to hand these out with these weekly builds. I agree that they would be useful, and i'm hoping we can get something automated along these lines, but doing it manually is more time consuming than it's worth for these rapid-release builds.

chris

andi06
July 12th, 2015, 12:48 PM
what you need as an answer is a full changelist
Not at all, just a statement like: 'we've been working on performance, preview window, track and splines' for instance.

WindWalkr
July 12th, 2015, 01:08 PM
To tell you that, i'd need the changelist in my hands, in which case i'd just give it to you :)

We *haven't* been working on procedural track- anything else is fair game, but focused more on bugfixing and polish items than major features.

chris

andi06
July 12th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Thanks for Trainzutil/Picklist functions.

Export to CDP should mean just that and not 'Export to CDP and then install in TC', which is what seems to be happening.

When I tag 1000+ assets in CM and accidentally select 'Open in Explorer', this is a case of an idiot deserving to be protected from himself. Needless to say the little message box saying 'Are you REALLY sure you want to do this?' was absent. :-)

ianwoodmore
July 12th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Some Frame Rates:

High End machine Raid 0 SSD; i7 CPU; dual GTX780ti with latest nvidia driver; 4 x monitors 1920 x 1080 100Hz ASync; WIN 8.1 Update1. TANE all on C:/ drive Program Files.
All FPS taken just after train moves with Chase Camera just above and to rear of cab.

High shadows
Distance 2500m
Physx on CPU
Rear train on
All else default

Hinton

Avis 78
Thurmond 72

ECML

Flying Scotsman 45
Freightliner dropped out twice before able to start.

Healesville

Down Cup Day 63
Down Mixed 55
Up Cup Day 45-48
Up Mixed 40-43

Kickstarter

Blue Comet AI 58-60 Trees popping.
Fossil Fuels 64 leaving depot then 46
Morning Run 39-40
Trees for Life 43-44

Milwaukee

MILW East Snow 59
MILW West Summer 48
NP Lookout Snow 64
NP Lookout Summer 43

Season

Northern Snow 56
Northern Summer 64
Museum Summer 47 Note Pole wheel is above wire.
Museum Snow 51

Bidye Model Trainz

Explorer 63
Twas a Dark 60

Warrack-Wallangara

Freight 64
Passenger 60

Builtin Missing Dependencies Payware for Bidye and Warwick-Wallangara. Note ECML Freightliner no MD. I ran immediately after download DLC without database rebuild.
Micro stutters evident side on when viewing trackside objects such as poles and gantries. Most likely inter-frame jitter. Re-examine when WIN 10 launched at end Jul 2015.
Colour also more pleasing, more natural and less pastel paint like. Quite good actually even at default settings without adjustment.

CM

Preliminary inspection with no noticeable change from Build 77010 which was behaving with exception of Copy Details and SelectAll that are still broken.

andi06
July 12th, 2015, 07:07 PM
<kuid:122285:700> & <kuid:122285:701> These assets are a steam loco & tender, each asset quotes the other in its kuid-table which enables the scripts to keep the two assets in sync.

In TS12 and in all TANE builds to date this has not caused issues, but in 77196 I've been unable to clear 'Faulty Dependencies'. Finally removed the tender from the loco's kuid-table which enabled them both to show in game, but this breaks the loco script.

Notwithstanding the crash when exiting Quickdrive and continuing issues with Save, this build 'feels' much more robust. I've just run Rosworth Vale from one end to the other which I've not been able to do in previous builds. Not a particularly demanding route I know but FPS was a rock steady 60 (i7-4770/16Gb/GTX-660/ 1280x1024)

pcas1986
July 13th, 2015, 01:13 AM
In CM:
Preview Asset using mouse works, Ctrl Shift R causes crash with subsequent database rebuild.
Show Asset Details using mouse works, Ctrl I causes crash with subsequent database rebuild.

I suggest there may be a problem with hot key processing. :)

Copy details did work for me in 77010 but doesn't now. Maybe I was lucky last time.

Regarding the exchange between you (Chris) and Andi on change logs - I think I'll just keep track of those I've mentioned and will try random hotkeys plus the stuff I've been watching anyway. My current activity is fixing old assets and progressing new ones so I won't be testing routes and sessions although I will be in and out of Surveyor a lot.

pcas1986
July 13th, 2015, 01:29 AM
I like the potential for the Preview Asset window. Some suggestions and/or ideas:

1. Would it be feasible to turn on the animation, run it at slow speed, stop and start? I usually create my bogies as scenery assets to check that functionality but the ability to rotate the mesh in any direction in Preview Asset makes it a very useful.
2. Some of the values could be used to indicate performance liability. i.e. excessive poly count, etc.
3. Hover help over some of the values so users know what the figures mean. This could also be in the manual.
4. Making Preview Asset available for assets not local but on the DLS might be nice but sounds like a lot of work. :)

WindWalkr
July 13th, 2015, 02:35 AM
1. Would it be feasible to turn on the animation, run it at slow speed, stop and start? I usually create my bogies as scenery assets to check that functionality but the ability to rotate the mesh in any direction in Preview Asset makes it a very useful.

Yes.

2. Some of the values could be used to indicate performance liability. i.e. excessive poly count, etc.

That's the whole reason for these values to be displayed :)

3. Hover help over some of the values so users know what the figures mean. This could also be in the manual.

Fair comment. I'll make sure that some kind of help is implemented.

4. Making Preview Asset available for assets not local but on the DLS might be nice but sounds like a lot of work. :)

There's basically no such thing. To be able to preview the asset, it must by definition be local. About the closest we could come would be to download and install the asset and its necessary dependencies, then offer to throw them away if you don't like them.

chris

pcas1986
July 13th, 2015, 03:04 AM
There's basically no such thing. To be able to preview the asset, it must by definition be local. About the closest we could come would be to download and install the asset and its necessary dependencies, then offer to throw them away if you don't like them.

chris

It was a bit TIC but no harm in asking. Thanks for the response and I'm looking forward to seeing the asset info pans out.

pcas1986
July 13th, 2015, 03:22 AM
I'm still getting the effects shown below:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z410/casper131/Ashampoo_Snap_2015.07.13_18h11m03s_001__zpsb8jef3d g.jpg

The stretching indicated by the white arrow is my mistake when mapping the boiler body but the distortion indicated by the red arrow was introduced with T:ANE. The two sides (top to bottom) of the boiler casing share the same mapping but the distortion is not evident on the opposite side. The mesh is just a simple tube and there are no vertices in that vicinity.

Is this an issue being addressed by N3V because Zec pointed out a similar problem in one of his locos?

rumour3
July 13th, 2015, 07:05 AM
The twisted normals issue is a big one for me, and is holding back a couple of projects. I'd certainly like to see it resolved.

R3

WindWalkr
July 13th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Yep, we're aware of this one. It's a bug in the exporters. There are two separate things on the cards to resolve it:

1. New exporters. This will be a while off.
2. A load-time workaround. This will allow TANE to ignore the data present in the IM files and generate replacement tangent data. This will be sooner (but still weeks away before it even enters testing.)

chris