PDA

View Full Version : Graphics drivwr crashes when importing or committing content.

JCitron
July 9th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I have had a number of graphics driver/video card stopped working, problems while importing content into T:ANE. Windows will report the error and post a report in the WER folder for sending off to Microsoft. I'm not the only one it seems. Roy Joosten has also had the same issue and we've been discussing this privately via email.

The common link is we're both running Windows 10, and both have NVidia GTX780Ti video cards.

Does this issue occur for anyone else running Windows 8.x or Windows 7?

If it's just a Windows 10 issue, then we know it's related to the video driver for this version, however, T:ANE is the only application that causes this problem.

John

WindWalkr
July 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Is the problem with a specific item of content, or is just a generalised "it sometimes crashes while importing" ?

thanks,

chris

JCitron
July 9th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Is the problem with a specific item of content, or is just a generalised "it sometimes crashes while importing" ?

thanks,

chris

For specific content, I am not sure. I would say it's more like a generalized crashes while importing, but I'm not necessarily sure, so I will investigate this a bit more, even ask Roy for his answers too . :)

I wonder is this related to running out of resources?

I've seen the CPU push up to 100% while importing and committing content. When this has happened over long periods of time, or too long perhaps is a better word, my system has lost the display as it goes black along with the peripherals, meaning mouse, keyboard, and network have locked up. The only recourse then is to sadly reboot using the reset button.

John

clam1952
July 9th, 2015, 12:25 PM
I have had a number of graphics driver/video card stopped working, problems while importing content into T:ANE. Windows will report the error and post a report in the WER folder for sending off to Microsoft. I'm not the only one it seems. Roy Joosten has also had the same issue and we've been discussing this privately via email.

The common link is we're both running Windows 10, and both have NVidia GTX780Ti video cards.

If it's just a Windows 10 issue, then we know it's related to the video driver for this version, however, T:ANE is the only application that causes this problem.

John

Not a problem here John, Win7 Pro, been committing loads of stuff I've been updating in batch form using your favourite Search & Replace couple of hundred items at a time plus caught up with updates and downloaded a load of stuff. All seems to working fine here.

JCitron
July 9th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Not a problem here John, Win7 Pro, been committing loads of stuff I've been updating in batch form using your favourite Search & Replace couple of hundred items at a time plus caught up with updates and downloaded a load of stuff. All seems to working fine here.

That's good to know. :)

I can't commit more than 4 big assets at a time because my CPU usage climbs to 100% and the system "goes" to sleep. I noticed that the CPU usage per asset is about 13.2% and I don't go anymore than 50% because I'm afraid the system will shutdown. I can download fine, however, so this is strictly constant opening of the assets. Could it be my motherboard, which is an older Intel Z-series?

So what's the difference, I wonder? Hopefully it's just my system and not Windows 10 as that's the direction everything is eventually heading, though T:ANE is the only application that does this...

John

clam1952
July 9th, 2015, 01:27 PM
That's good to know. :)

I can't commit more than 4 big assets at a time because my CPU usage climbs to 100% and the system "goes" to sleep. I noticed that the CPU usage per asset is about 13.2% and I don't go anymore than 50% because I'm afraid the system will shutdown. I can download fine, however, so this is strictly constant opening of the assets. Could it be my motherboard, which is an older Intel Z-series?

So what's the difference, I wonder? Hopefully it's just my system and not Windows 10 as that's the direction everything is eventually heading, though T:ANE is the only application that does this...

John

Well if I remember the only difference originally between your system and mine was the motherboard, I went for the Asus P8H77-V LE.

A thought though? are you on 76401 or 76536, I'm not convinced they behave exactly the same? I'm using 76536 although I do have a copy of 76401 sitting idle.

RoysTrainz
July 9th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Hi John,Malc,

Yes it happened again last evening build 77010 i was testing open edit from 76401 import to 77010 and my Nivida driver was crushed and gone. i not rmember this in 76401 did you?
Other than that 77010 has real good potential and is fast.
More testing today see how far I get.
I not think it is Win10 as i would have it seen earlier and it occurred only after using 77010 with related commands.
Thanks for opening this thread John.
I liked your last email, good one, but doubt this forum will be soon a fun place to hang out again.
We miss somebody with a big broom or fire hose clean the forum streets.

Roy:)

Dinorius_Redundicus
July 9th, 2015, 06:54 PM

John

John

I have T:ANE 76536, Windows 8.1 and an nVidia GTX780Ti card. TANE is on its own SSD separate from the OS, and I have 32GB of memory.

When importing batches of more than about 20 CDP's, I get a reproducible crash of TANE.exe. Everything has been fine if there are less CDP's in the batch. The crashes occur whether the CDP's are kept on an external drive or placed on the same SSD as TANE.

Luckily it hasn't yet crashed the graphics driver (353.30) only TANE.exe, but clearly there is something quite wrong with that aspect of TANE.

I haven't tried importing the asset batches from folders, so I can't comment on that method.

~ Deane

WindWalkr
July 9th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I can't commit more than 4 big assets at a time because my CPU usage climbs to 100% and the system "goes" to sleep. I noticed that the CPU usage per asset is about 13.2% and I don't go anymore than 50% because I'm afraid the system will shutdown.

If this is legit and not just coincidental then it sounds like a heat issue; issues could include:

* Faulty hardware.
* Your coolers are filling up with dust.

Nothing on the software side will care if your CPU usage is at 100%.

chris

JCitron
July 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM
If this is legit and not just coincidental then it sounds like a heat issue; issues could include:

* Faulty hardware.
* Your coolers are filling up with dust.

Nothing on the software side will care if your CPU usage is at 100%.

chris

I've been thinking the same...

I did check the cooler and it's clean and all 4 fans are clean. I will load up some heat monitoring utilities and watch. If it is heat, I will check further.

John

JCitron
July 9th, 2015, 08:52 PM
John

I have T:ANE 76536, Windows 8.1 and an nVidia GTX780Ti card. TANE is on its own SSD separate from the OS, and I have 32GB of memory.

When importing batches of more than about 20 CDP's, I get a reproducible crash of TANE.exe. Everything has been fine if there are less CDP's in the batch. The crashes occur whether the CDP's are kept on an external drive or placed on the same SSD as TANE.

Luckily it hasn't yet crashed the graphics driver (353.30) only TANE.exe, but clearly there is something quite wrong with that aspect of TANE.

I haven't tried importing the asset batches from folders, so I can't comment on that method.

~ Deane

Thank you, Deane for reporting this, it's interesting to hear this as I wonder if it's the same issue. Do me a favor and monitor your system temps as well. I have been gathering some info via Intel's Desktop Utilities program. They are graphic, graphs and charts, and requires me to run the Windows Snipping Tool to capture the screens, but as I've been downloading from the DLS, my temps range from the starting 37C to the high 50s. The fans are steady and nothing out of the ordinary. The CPU usage and I/O are all at reasonable levels as well.

I will run this again while committing assets that have been opened for edit and at that time I will post all my results. I too wonder what they will be.

John

WindWalkr
July 9th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Another test question- do you get these on the test build, the retail build, or both?

chris

RoysTrainz
July 9th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Last night GLenn send me an email confirming as follows:

I’m having a similar problem with Nvidia 353.30 driver. All programs stop, 30 seconds later all monitors go black. Then monitors come back, some programs come back other won’t respond. Note appears that driver has crashed and automatically recovered.

I’m getting this with various programs, not just T:ANE. I googled it, and many people are reverting to the previous Nvidia driver because of this problem.

Perhaps you and John only notice it in T:ANE because that is what you are always using the most.

So this brings a different light on the Nvidia driver issue.

Roy

JCitron
July 9th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Another test question- do you get these on the test build, the retail build, or both?

chris

Last night GLenn send me an email confirming as follows:

I’m having a similar problem with Nvidia 353.30 driver. All programs stop, 30 seconds later all monitors go black. Then monitors come back, some programs come back other won’t respond. Note appears that driver has crashed and automatically recovered.

I’m getting this with various programs, not just T:ANE. I googled it, and many people are reverting to the previous Nvidia driver because of this problem.

Perhaps you and John only notice it in T:ANE because that is what you are always using the most.

So this brings a different light on the Nvidia driver issue.

Roy

Chris,

I will test on that and confirm. I've seen this on the retail version as of now where I have imported my TS12 content into.

Thank you, Roy for your input on this as well...

John

Dinorius_Redundicus
July 10th, 2015, 04:51 AM
...Do me a favor and monitor your system temps as well...

John

Just monitored CPU and GPU temperatures with TThrottle during a batch import & installation of 15 CDP's.

At idle: CPU's 24 - 27C. GPU 31C.

During import/installation: CPU's 36 - 45C, GPU 31C.

"Unfortunately", I didn't get a crash of tane.exe this time (not enough CDP's I guess) but clearly there's no load on the GPU. The only heat was in the CPU's, but a temperature of 45C isn't much and my system isn't even water-cooled.

It's hard to believe that another 5 or 6 CDP's in the batch would cause CPU temperatures to suddenly go ballistic. I'm tending to think it's not a temperature thing and nothing to do with graphics, but I'm not a PC geek, so that's just a layman's opinion.

clam1952
July 10th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Seems that driver is crashing in Witcher 3 and Skyrim, suggest reverting. Or try 353.49 Hotfix Beta driver......... that say a lot doesn't it!
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/853781/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-49-released-7-8-15-/

Might want to read this thread on 353.30 in particular crashes! https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/847580/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-353-30-whql-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2015-06-22-/

Might this possibly be the Cause of TANE crashes? just a thought. I'm still using 352.86 which seems fine.

JCitron
July 10th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Seems that driver is crashing in Witcher 3 and Skyrim, suggest reverting. Or try 353.49 Hotfix Beta driver......... that say a lot doesn't it!
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/853781/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-49-released-7-8-15-/

Might want to read this thread on 353.30 in particular crashes! https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/847580/geforce-drivers/official-nvidia-353-30-whql-game-ready-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2015-06-22-/

Might this possibly be the Cause of TANE crashes? just a thought. I'm still using 352.86 which seems fine.

Thank you! I will definitely check this out. The crashes were worse before as some people were getting dxgmms2.sys failures. NVidia fixed that with the current driver, but apparently this broke something else.

Back to my other issue...with the system shutting down on large imports.....

I did some more testing and also a bit of fan and case cleaning, though I do this frequently. Her Majesty Lulu my fluffy ragdoll cat has recently taken up sleeping up next to my computer. When I was poking around this morning, I noticed more than a few strands of fur and dust on the case vents. I peeled more than a lump from as well as cleaned the bottom intake vent and filter, and removed a good hunk of fur from there too in the process. The system is running a heck of a lot happier now and the CPU doesn't get as warm as it was even last night.

Moral of the story: Even if you perform frequent PMs on your equipment, it pays to check more often!

Many thanks too to Chris for sparking the idea to go check for this. I'm not going to chock this up as resolved until I do some more testing, but my guts are telling me this might not have helped things either.

John

RoysTrainz
July 10th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Ooops the Nvidia driver crash and not use TANE anything N3V. Just googl around the place and gone.

Ning:confused:

JCitron
July 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Ooops the Nvidia driver crash and not use TANE anything N3V. Just googl around the place and gone.

Ning:confused:

This is a good thing, perhaps as it won't be fodder for the naysayers to pick on!

John

JCitron
July 10th, 2015, 06:43 PM
UPDATE:

I have been submitting multiple assets today, up as high as 25 at a time, including large-sized ones at 24MB assets with no issues.

The solution/resolution was to clean Lulu out of the vents.

Thank you, Chris for taking the time to look into this. We can chock this one up for the books as a troubleshooting note for future incidents.

John