PDA

View Full Version : Layers.

clam1952
July 8th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Been asked to raise this issue.

quote from email.

I don't know how many take advantage of the benefits of Layers but I'm starting to get into them and finding them really helpful. Being able to hide a layer has helped me to find potential problems. I use TransDEM so two layers are automatically introduced by that programme if using default settings to create a route including UTM maps.

In Surveyor it would really be helpful if there was an option available to switch on 'View layer information'. In a similar way to displaying the kuid number of an object it could just appear in the bottom left hand corner of the screen naming the current layer. Trainz seems to default to the Route layer when the simulator starts which can be a real PITA if you have a different layer which you have been working on. I have a Track layer and, if I've forgotten to check which layer I'm on, it can take ages to transfer every piece of track and every junction lever back over to the track layer.

Can anyone see a problem with this idea? If not, do you think you could raise the issue on the Trainz Dev forum please Malc

Seems like a reasonable suggestion to me, having ended up on the wrong layer a couple of times.

WindWalkr
July 8th, 2015, 08:23 AM
No, that's quite sensible. It's been raised before, but we've put it off because we have plans in this general area that would supersede this idea. I'll make sure that we either get to those plans soonish, or put in this half-way solution in the interim.

chris

martinvk
July 8th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Looking forward to reading the design doc for this feature. Any hints as to what would supersede the idea.

I've always been a fan of layers but sometimes frustrated by the lack of layer tools like onscreen current layer indication, moving multiple objects to different layers, etc.

Perhaps a toggle switch could over-ride the texture of object on a map and give them a layer specific color so that each object's layer could be known at a glance without having to query them individually. Handy if one object of a set is on the wrong layer.

JCitron
July 8th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Knowing that there are some changes in the works on this is nice. Hopefully some kind of indicator can be added, by chance somewhere as I too have edit things on the wrong layer many times. Having a color difference somewhere, maybe up on the title bar, or maybe a color bar appear up near the Menu would be nice. Surveyor route layer could be green while session layer could be red, etc.

John

Mick_Berg
July 8th, 2015, 11:20 PM
I think 90% of the frustration that people experienced with layers would have been avoided if there had been on-screen indication of which one was active. I remember asking for it very soon after layers were implemented. A case of spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar:-)
Mick