PDA

View Full Version : Export to cdp bug?

clam1952
July 3rd, 2015, 05:33 AM
Seems to be a problem with exporting to cdp on build 76536, Win7 Pro.
Can someone check this is not just something local to my install?

Problem:
For each cdp exported an instance of TANE is being started

To Replicate. Task manager needs to be open at Processes.

Select an asset
Export to cdp, that bit works fine.
Now look at Processes, a second copy of TANE has started, although it hasn't appeared

Repeat for a second asset
Another copy of TANE appears in processes.

Repeat for third asset
Yet another copy of TANE appears.

I exported a lot of cdp's last night and found after finishing and closing T:ANE it reappeared, closed that and another one popped up, after about five of these I checked processes and there were in excess of 50 copies of T:ANE showing!

narrowgauge
July 3rd, 2015, 06:05 AM
I'm using build 76536

I haven't found this, or more correctly, I was not aware of multiple T:ane copies. I didn't have to delete any. When I am more awake tomorrow, I'll try uploading some stuff. What may or may not be pertinent is that I am uploading as build 3.5 as I work to bring older content into the brave new world.

Did you select a batch and upload them in CM or do them one at a time. I did a batch upload.

Peter

clam1952
July 3rd, 2015, 06:44 AM
This isn't uploading to the DLS it's exporting cdp's to a folder on the hard drive, I upload from there using the web uploader, cuts out the preview stage.

narrowgauge
July 3rd, 2015, 07:23 AM
Malc

Silly question - what preview stage? I select a single item or a batch, click on 'Upload to DLS' and that's it. Seems to work every time and does not generate a new instance of T:ane.

What is the preview stage that I am unwittingly not cutting out.

Peter

clam1952
July 3rd, 2015, 08:24 AM
On the web uploader you have unprocessed where everything initially goes, Preview Area, Waiting Area and Your Content.

If you upload from an exported cdp it goes into Unprocessed and after approval it goes into your content, If you use CM to upload it goes to unprocessed then after approval to the Preview Area or maybe Waiting Area where you have to approve it before it goes into Your Content, an extra unrequired delay. Leastwise that's what it used to do. Just tried a couple via CM to see if anything has changed, doesn't look like it though as it's showing method of upload preview rather than direct as it does if you do it manually.

Point is, ignoring uploading if you save anything to a cdp, it is launching a new instance of TANE, just checked this on my other PC which has 76401 on it and it's doing the same.

Dinorius_Redundicus
July 3rd, 2015, 11:10 AM
I have build 76536 too and do not see this problem when saving an asset to CDP.

However I do get a reliable TANE.exe crash when importing more than about 20 CDP's using the 'import content files' menu (have not tried importing a content folder). These problems might be related.

Kevin16c
July 3rd, 2015, 04:10 PM
He is not alone. Exporting to cdp creates a new instance of trainz that will launch when the initial instance of trainz has closed. The new instance re-installs the cdp I just exported.

Steps:
1. Launch Trainz
2. Launch Content manager
3. Export an item as a cdp.
4. Close trainz entirely.
5. Watch as trainz loads itself back up and immediately installs the cdp you just exported.

Using build 76401

clam1952
July 3rd, 2015, 04:42 PM
Thank you Kevin for confirming I haven't completely lost it!

narrowgauge
July 3rd, 2015, 07:43 PM
Something I have forgotten about and thus didn't miss it. I don't remember being asked to review any thing uploaded using the 'Upload to DLS' function. It uploads and the next thing I get is an approval notice. As a point of interest why don't you use this process?

Peter

Pencil42
July 3rd, 2015, 11:57 PM
Kevin and Malc; I see the same thing. It's a pain having to revert each asset as it gets re-imported....

Curtis

clam1952
July 4th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Something I have forgotten about and thus didn't miss it. I don't remember being asked to review any thing uploaded using the 'Upload to DLS' function. It uploads and the next thing I get is an approval notice. As a point of interest why don't you use this process?

Peter

Because I had to keep going to the web page to approve it, that was in 2010, haven't used that method since apart from the test I did yesterday to see where it went!

JCitron
July 4th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I have confirmed this bug as well.

It's a good one! Good find, Malc.

John

norfolksouthern37
July 4th, 2015, 10:40 AM
It depends on how your system is configured too. For instance, mine will open and install the cdp into TS12 as soon as I save one from TANE. My system has cdp files registered with TS12 CM. Before I updated TANE however the process used to open a new explorer window at the location of the cdp. That was also very annoying.

narrowgauge
July 4th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Are we talking T:ane or TS12?

In T:ane #76536, if you select a single file or a batch of files, and then in the main menu select 'Upload to DLS', you get the screen that promises all sorts of bad things, you click that away then CM just sends the files away to the DLS. No preview. It seems to be uploading the files as-is and not converting to a CDP, and it doesn't proliferate T:ane. A lot better than the old way.

I agree that if you make a single CDP, regardless of how many files it contains, you do get dumped back into TS12, but still only one instance of T:ane

Peter

edit:- Why are you making single asset CDPs?

clam1952
July 5th, 2015, 04:41 AM
I agree that if you make a single CDP, regardless of how many files it contains, you do get dumped back into TS12, but still only one instance of T:ane

Peter

That's because you have cdp's associated with TS12 and not T:ANE, so instead of launching another copy of T:ANE it's launching TS12.

narrowgauge
July 5th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Malc

I kow that, but I don't use that process so it doesn't worry me. I use 'Upload to DLS' and it works every time. This is the point I am trying to make, if you use the old methods you get problems. T:ane CM offers something simpler and just as effective. What puzzles me is that all who post here say they are having problems and I cannot see why they persist in the problematic method. No-one posts and says 'It worked' or 'It doesn't work'.

I doubt that N3V will fix the apparent problem when they have provided a simpler method. Of course if that simpler method doesn't work for you then I would say you have a local problem and it is not CM.

Peter

norfolksouthern37
July 5th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Malc

I kow that, but I don't use that process so it doesn't worry me. I use 'Upload to DLS' and it works every time. This is the point I am trying to make, if you use the old methods you get problems. T:ane CM offers something simpler and just as effective. What puzzles me is that all who post here say they are having problems and I cannot see why they persist in the problematic method. No-one posts and says 'It worked' or 'It doesn't work'.

I doubt that N3V will fix the apparent problem when they have provided a simpler method. Of course if that simpler method doesn't work for you then I would say you have a local problem and it is not CM.

Peter

No offense intended but - What? You don't seem to grasp the matter being discussed here. A lot of us, esp people who put content on their own sites such as myself, still need the ability to create a cdp locally. Creation and distribution of asset files outside of the DLS is still important. Making that process confusing and annoying is not 'ok' just because the DLS uploader works, and far as I am concerned, is irrelevant. As far as I know, the topic of the thread was saving a cdp file, not the DLS.

clam1952
July 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Cdps are required for hosting on third party sites, providing assets for people to beta test, backups of route and assets, in my case uploading to a site as the DLS is taking forever to approve things so have made things available there until the DLS wakes up. In the TCWW group we forward cdps between ourselves for testing and suchlike. Also used for transferring to a different install of Trainz.
I also use them for backups of my WIP routes, that's in addition to backing up my userdata.

narrowgauge
July 5th, 2015, 07:03 PM
It was not obvious that the thread was about making CDP's for non-DLS posting. If this had been mentioned after my first post I would have shut up and gone away. For what you need to do, I will admit that there is a problem. Has this been posted in the CM Wishlist thread? If not you may not get it fixed.

Peter

norfolksouthern37
July 5th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that you missed post #3. It happens to everyone at some point. Forums are a great place to lose your sanity.

narrowgauge
July 5th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I have added this problem to the 'CM Wishlist' thread. The entry refers to this thread. Check the first page.

Peter