PDA

View Full Version : Interior Traincar Lighting

andi06
July 1st, 2015, 08:32 AM
Is there a sample asset where this can be seen working.

I've looked at the Duchess set (which has the specified tags) and turned it on, with no visible effect - all I get is this:

I'm glad that this was a freebie by the way, if I'd paid for it I would be extremely miffed with this sort of texturing, and just what is that white stuff in the tender supposed to be?

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 09:37 AM
Is there a sample asset where this can be seen working.

I've looked at the Duchess set (which has the specified tags) and turned it on, with no visible effect ..

Please review the comments at the top of the doc. (By which I mean "comments" in the google doc sense, not the "somebody said something" sense.)

chris

Pencil42
July 1st, 2015, 10:12 AM
As per the mesh-table LoD discussion below, is this a per-asset affect, or a per-mesh effect?

Thanks,
Curtis

andi06
July 1st, 2015, 10:18 AM
Please review the comments at the top of the doc.
I had seen these and this is something I've been implementing in various ways for many years (all of which are currently broken) and your technique sounds easier.

I see that the tags have been implemented but what I really wanted to know is whether or not the system is working yet?

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 07:05 PM
I see that the tags have been implemented but what I really wanted to know is whether or not the system is working yet?

Well, as per the comment at the top of the doc; the system works but display of same relies on a feature which is not yet supported in T:ANE. Once that feature is supported, then everything should be back to working again.

chris

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 07:08 PM
As per the mesh-table LoD discussion below, is this a per-asset affect, or a per-mesh effect?

The doc is talking about Vehicle (TrainCar) assets.

chris

Pencil42
July 1st, 2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks Chris - so we'd set this once per TrainCar asset and it would affect all meshes using that material, not once per (interior) mesh inside that asset, correct?
Not like texture replacement, which also affects the material, but only on a per-mesh basis?

Curtis

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 07:48 PM
This is configured per traincar asset, and affects the whole interior. It is not configured per mesh, nor per material.

chris

Pencil42
July 2nd, 2015, 01:13 AM
How does one define the 'interior' that is to be lit, then? The docs say it's not the KUID interior (which normally wouldn't be visible from an external view anyway). The docs (and the DLC examples I looked at) appeared to indicate that this operated on a .texture, so I was thinking you would use that material to texture the areas you wanted lit, and every mesh that used that material would be lit appropriately.

Am I just getting my terminology mixed up?

Curtis

WindWalkr
July 2nd, 2015, 02:04 AM
No, sorry, you're completely right. It's per texture. That's what the "interior-light-texture" is for.

chris

andi06
October 17th, 2015, 02:17 AM
Interior traincar lighting is now working in build 78924.

To implement you will need to add two tags to the top level of the traincar config:

interior-light-texture "interior-interior"
You will need to use the exact name of the texture which you want to illuminate with the '.texture.txt' part omitted. The effect will be applied to ALL materials which use the specified texture. In the example above the texture filename is 'interior-interior.texture.txt'.

interior-light-color 0.75,0.75,0.75
This specifies the rgb level of self-illumination to be applied. I've found 0.75,0.75,0.75 to be a reasonable starting point.

The effect will be on by default but can be turned off by script or via the traincar's property editor. When it is on the effect is independent of the time of day. As a result the interior mesh will appear to be lit by night and also brighter by day, you may have to increase the opacity of your windows to compensate for this.

The effect is independent of traincar headlights or any night-mesh containers.

pcas1986
October 17th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Interior traincar lighting is now working in build 78924.

To implement you will need to add two tags to the top level of the traincar ....

For Chris. I'll update the WiKi when I am able using Andi's comments. Can I assume this issue is not just an internal build item and will make into a release version at some point?

WindWalkr
October 17th, 2015, 04:26 AM
For Chris. I'll update the WiKi when I am able using Andi's comments. Can I assume this issue is not just an internal build item and will make into a release version at some point?

Thanks. Yes, it will make it out at some point. Assumedly in the next major build that goes public, although of course I can't make any promises until we get to that point.

chris

pcas1986
October 17th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Thanks. Yes, it will make it out at some point. Assumedly in the next major build that goes public, although of course I can't make any promises until we get to that point.

chrisThanks. That was my expectation.
Cheers

pcas1986
October 20th, 2015, 03:44 AM
I've updated the KIND Traincar WiKi page (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Traincar) for this information. While updating I noticed there are other tags available that don't get a mention on the WiKi pages. These include those related to suspension that I don't know much about. It seems likely that the entire page might need some V&V so I'll have another look at it later.

S301
October 20th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Hi Paul
There's info on the suspension tags for traincars here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/T:ANE_NEW_FEATURES#Adjust_Rolling_Stock_Suspension

Regards
Zec

pcas1986
October 20th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Hi Paul
There's info on the suspension tags for traincars here: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/T:ANE_NEW_FEATURES#Adjust_Rolling_Stock_Suspension

Regards
Zec
Excellent - thanks Zec. That appears to have the info I needed. While I've been on holiday (overseas) for a month there have been more releases/test builds/et al, than one can poke the proverbial stick at. It's taken me two days to catch up.

Many thanks.