PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Native Traincar Numbering

Pencil42
June 30th, 2015, 11:44 PM
This looks like a good idea. It would be nice if there were a method to specify even or odd numbers and exclusions - at least two of the railroads I model tend to have ranges like '156-452, even numbers' or '1 through 119 (excluding Nos. 68, 89, 90, 91, 115 and 118) and odd numbered 121 through 159'. These would make for some fairly unwieldy lists :)

Also, what is the indended mechanisim to set rolling stock up to use this system; the existing alpha numbering technique (individual digit meshes and textures)?

Thank you,
Curtis

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 12:30 AM
Also, what is the indended mechanisim to set rolling stock up to use this system; the existing alpha numbering technique (individual digit meshes and textures)?

The existence of this feature does not change how the numbers are displayed; it just takes some functionality which was previously a heavy script operation implemented independently by a number of parties, and moves it to a single official natively-supported mechanism.

chris

Pencil42
July 1st, 2015, 12:46 AM
Ah, OK - thanks for the clarification. So this would just set the RunningNumber, and the traincar asset would be responsible for translating that number to some sort of a visible representation. Would this be number stored in the soup or otherwise persist, or would we need to save it ourselves if required?

Thanks,
Curtis

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 01:16 AM
Would this be number stored in the soup or otherwise persist, or would we need to save it ourselves if required?

A given vehicle's running number is always saved in the route/session/savedgame as required. Nothing changes in that regard.

chris

VinnyBarb
July 1st, 2015, 03:37 AM
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Pencil42 http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=1415819#post1415819)

The existence of this feature does not change how the numbers are displayed; it just takes some functionality which was previously a heavy script operation implemented independently by a number of parties, and moves it to a single official natively-supported mechanism. chris

I would like to know this "single official natively-supported mechanism" too, please. Is there any info anywhere yet to check up on? I am currently using a particular custom script for my TS10-12 created locomotives, which can include the range of numbers to be used as Pencil42 had asked above, like say from 355-761 only or so. Further, this script also changes drivers and change of marker lights from yellow to red according to direction of the locomotive traveled.

How "heavy" is such script being used, my guess is, you mean performance wise and not if such script falls on your your toes? Right? :p

VinnyBarb

WindWalkr
July 1st, 2015, 09:33 AM
How "heavy" is such script being used, my guess is, you mean performance wise and not if such script falls on your your toes? Right? :p

Well, either one. If you print it out and it hurts your toes, it's heavy ;-)

chris

Dap
July 3rd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I assume that this applies to all rolling stock and not just locomotives. Does this system allow letters as well as numbers? How about non-letters such as a dash "-"? Some freight car numbers can include either or both of these non-numerical notations.

Once this new Native Car Numbering is implemented, can the old systems still be utilized?

Somewhat related is reporting marks. Are there plans to make these native as well? When we get to prototype freight operations, car reporting marks are essential.

David

S301
July 21st, 2015, 05:37 AM
Hi All
I thought I would give this one a go tonight, and see what happened :)

It's definitely fully working in TANE, and the following is an example of it.

vehicle-running-numbers {
running-numbers "210,212,214,216,218,220,222,224,226,228,230,232,23 4,236,238,240,312,314,316,318,320"
}

You can also specify the numbers in ranges, which would give this:

running-numbers "210-320"

}

Or mix both together.

For Dap, as this system is just a method of automatically assigning numbers for alpha numbers; letters won't work (since alpha numbers don't support letters). A script would be needed for this, to provide texture replacement for the reporting marks. If these are based from the numbers, I would expect it could be calculated based on the assigned running numbers. I know in Aus we had check letters, which were calculated from the wagon number, but not sure if it's anything like the US's reporting marks.

Regards
Zec

Dap
July 21st, 2015, 07:51 AM
Zec,

Thanks for the testing summary.

Reporting Marks reflect the name of the car owner and do not change with each instance of the vehicle. To be CMTM compatible, there still will need to be two lines in the traincar's extensions container as follows:

extensions
{
. . .
reportingmark-32711 "abcd"
carnumber-32711 "x"
, , ,
, , ,
}

"abcd" will be the owner initials as found on the car side, and sometimes the ends. The "x" for car number tells CMTM that this vehicle has auto-numbering. CMTM will then retrieve the car number in the prescribed manner.

I have a question about using the new auto-numbering system. Can I implement this with just an addition to the config file or do I need to make changes to the mesh or somehow define the location of the numbers on the vehicle?

David

S301
July 21st, 2015, 08:20 AM
Hi David
That depends on if you want the numbers to be visible on the side of the traincar.

If it already has alpha numbers, then you simply enter the container in my above post.

If it does not have alpha numbers, and you want the numbers visible, then you'll need to edit the vehicle to add alpha numbers.

If it does not have alpha numbers, and you aren't worried about the numbers being visible, then simple enter the container in the above post.

It may be possible to use Wulf_9's 'text' based numbering script alongside this (use Trainz to assign number, and then script to simply display a 'text' number on an attachment point). But this probably won't provide much performance saving. The loco I'm currently experimenting with has a texture replacement effect that's tied to the running number. It did have a numbering script as well, but everything is now working happily with the native numbering system :)

Regards

ianwoodmore
August 5th, 2015, 07:14 PM
running-numbers "0,0,0,0" or "0,1,2,3"
}

are considered invalid in build 77508 validation. Both these are used in current Running-Numbers containers.

whitepass
August 5th, 2015, 07:52 PM
I would think you would use just "0" or "0,3" have not looked at this yet.