PDA

View Full Version : Possible CM glitch

narrowgauge
June 23rd, 2015, 01:47 AM
I don't know whether this belongs here or on the main forum.

I'm in the process of trying to sort out problems on one of my assets on the DLS. Initially I was working on the version that already existed on the DLS and got myself in such a muddle that I deleted the local files, intending to re-download the DLS version. As I did so I noticed that the "On DLS. Obsolete" entry line above the line I selected, disappeared. I now find that the asset on the DLS and all its dependencies have gone. All the related file names started with "30 VR G42" which might be a clue.

I have tried to repeat this without any success. I have checked the DLS with TS12 just in case this is CM not showing those particular items, no luck. They have gone.

Peter

clam1952
June 23rd, 2015, 09:33 AM
Peter, Sure it wasn't 30 PBR G42?

narrowgauge
June 23rd, 2015, 07:20 PM
Malcom

30 PBR G42 was the original version when the steam units were separate traincars, this was never on the DLS.

30 VR G42 is the later version where the steam units are connected as actual bogies using the later bogie setup in the main config and this was on the DLS together with all the dependencies. Now, there is no main body and no bogies, I haven't checked the remainder.

Unlikely as it seems, that locomotive no longer exists on the DLS and it went away when I deleted the file on T:ane CM. I started work on the loco because it was showing up incorrectly in Preview and Surveyor and I downloaded the files from the DLS, not from my records. I did not upload any of the files prior to this glitch.

Peter

Further to the above. I have searched the DLS for all the items under my username- nothing, and again using 30 VR in the asset name. All the VR items I would expect to see showed up except for anything with 30 VR G42 in the usernme.

Dinorius_Redundicus
June 23rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
Peter

I searched the Black Pages/all versions/all categories for titles 30 VR G42 but found nothing.

If it's true that deleting stuff in TANE CM can also delete it from the DLS server, that is something that N3V should be informed about immediately because it's a major security and data integrity weakness. It does seem unlikely given that even N3V complain that it's quite an involved process for them to remove things when occasionally required to do so. It's worth at least a Helpdesk ticket, but probably a direct PM to Zec or whatever.

Have you checked in the TANE 'backups' folder? I think by default it keeps 7 days worth of backups.

I always retain copies of my last 2 incremental gmax or max save files when creating things, in case one gets corrupted (you know what gmax is like), and I store a CDP of any completed asset that I've uploaded to the DLS. Do you have a similar insurance system?

~ Dino

clam1952
June 23rd, 2015, 08:12 PM
Well they definitely are not on the DLS, there is no way that deleting something in content manager can delete anything on the DLS, more likely to be a database error locally, however I can't find them in T:ANE or TS12 here either, which is odd as I have all your assets installed in TS12, that's why I mentioned 30 PBR G42 which I have here. If it was on the DLS I'm 99.9% sure I would have it Peter...

Thinks..... Peter find your backups folder, depends on where you put your user data however it should be in the same location and has copies or should have copies of everything deleted and hopefully copies of before you edited them. If they are there just drag them back to content manager.

Edit: Dino posted while I was looking for them so doubled a bit but just had another thought, they haven't gone invisible? as in only available from a link but not listed?

narrowgauge
June 23rd, 2015, 08:13 PM
Dino

I didn't want to post this on the general forum because it might 'scare the horses' and also someone here may have some idea why it occurred. I'm surprised that Chris has not picked up on this. I will do more to spread the word.

I am not worried about the deletion, I still have the original and updated files. I wonder whether the DLS database is arranged so that all dependencies are in subfolders below the main item. If that main item gets deleted all the others would go as well.

Malcom. Thanks for the comments, as I say above, the asset and dependencies are not lost to me, just completely gone from the DLS. I have the originals.

Peter

Pencil42
June 23rd, 2015, 08:24 PM
It's not something that was from SirGibby's site and had never made it to the DLS, is it?

Curtis

narrowgauge
June 23rd, 2015, 09:14 PM
Curtis

This loco and many other 30 gauge items are on Trainzone in their original format. I reworked all the PBR items into VR items, updated to build 2.9 and stuck the lot on the DLS. What is worrying is that content that WAS on the DLS has disappeared at the same time that I deleted the main body asset. That is all I did, select the single line and select Delete.

I have PM'd Zec but I can't get to the help desk as what I assume is the link in the Forum menu right-hand side is covered by the search filter, obviuosly made for a wider screen.

Peter

clam1952
June 24th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Helpdesk Link Peter http://support.trainzportal.com/

Only other possibility I can think of is that they are on the DLS but invisible and can only be downloaded by a link or if required as a dependency but not listed on the DLS.

One way to check is via myTrainz > Your Content > Your Content Button > Individual Assets > then search and see if anything comes up?

narrowgauge
June 24th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Malc

I followed your suggestion, looked through 564 items and 30 VR G42 or any of its similarly labelled dependencies, is not there.

I must make the point again, the main asset was on the DLS and I downloaded it and its dependencies to ensure that I was working on what I had uploaded as the latest 2.9 version. It was definitely there and now it is definitely not there. I still have the original files, just a matter of digging them out, that is the least of my problems.

Thanks for the help desk link, too tired tonight, I will contact the help desk tomorrow. It is obvious that it is not considered important, no comment from Chris, Zec (S301) or anyone else. A bit disheartening.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 24th, 2015, 08:23 AM
It is obvious that it is not considered important, no comment from Chris, Zec (S301) or anyone else. A bit disheartening.

I've already made my policy for posting on this forum quite clear- I don't post until I have something meaningful to add.

If you're worried that some action on your end has caused the content to be removed from the DLS, then you can rest easy- that's quite impossible. Exactly what the scenario is, I can't answer at the current time. From my perspective, there are several possibilities, including:

* The content is still on the DLS and something's flagging incorrectly on your end.
* The content was never on the DLS and something was previously flagging incorrectly on your end, which has now been corrected.
* The content was previously on the DLS but was removed for some reason (unrelated to your actions.)
* The content is on the DLS but is hidden from the listings in some fashion.
* The content was never on the DLS and you've made a mistake somewhere.

When and if I learn more, I'll let you know.

chris

narrowgauge
June 24th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Chris.

* The content is still on the DLS and something's flagging incorrectly on your end.

The content asset and all dependencies are not on the DLS. Others have looked and there is nothing there. As a check, I will upload one of the files without changing the version, if the file is there it will be rejected

* The content was never on the DLS and something was previously flagging incorrectly on your end, which has now been corrected

The content and dependencies were on the DLS and have been for at least 2 years.In order to work on it, I downloaded the asset and dependencies to ensure that I was working on my current version.

* The content was previously on the DLS but was removed for some reason (unrelated to your actions.)

In which case I have a valid problem. Why would it be removed/hidden?

* The content is on the DLS but is hidden from the listings in some fashion.

In which case I have a valid problem. Why would it be hidden?

* The content was never on the DLS and you've made a mistake somewhere.

The assets were on the DLS, I downloaded them specifically to correct the Garratt bogie problem that you may remember. The mistake I made was to assume that CM would always do what is expected. In this case it did something unexpected. I resent the inference that I made a mistake and I'm blaming CM. What do I gain, I still have the originals and thus have lost nothing.

To sum up. I don't expect you to do anything unless the problem can be reproduced. As far as I am concerned, I found a problem, reported it to you, you have responded, and I need to go no further. Henceforth, the problem is yours.

Peter

WindWalkr
June 24th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Could you also give me the KUID of one of the assets that you're referring to, please?

chris

narrowgauge
June 24th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Chris

No worries
Main body <kuid:44700:934210> Username "30 VR G42 Garratt"
Front bogie <kuid:44700:502410>
Rear bogies <kuid:44700:502510>

Note that they are all the latest build that was uploaded to the DLS. I used a new KUID hence no version numbers. Bulld #2.9

Peter

WindWalkr
June 25th, 2015, 01:58 AM
Well, nobody I've spoken to seems to know anything about it. There are no relevant entries on our DLS database or in the filesystem of the server in question. About the best I've got is "it was probably never on the DLS". I know you don't agree with that, but the majority of evidence points in that direction currently, and as you say- without a repeat occurrence, we're just going to have to assume that the majority evidence is correct.

chris

narrowgauge
June 25th, 2015, 03:38 AM
OK, I can live with that. Let's hope that mine was just a one-off and won't appear again.

Thanks for chasing it up.

Peter

JCitron
June 26th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Peter,

I wonder if there's something wrong on the DLS. I was downloading dependencies and I received this message here:

+ <kuid:112820:105> opened for edit
- Failed to decompress data, content package may be damaged
- Failed to install asset <kuid:112820:105>

I thought it was my install and performed a database repair and got the same message again.

John

ianwoodmore
June 27th, 2015, 12:42 AM
I downloaded that asset 28 May 15 as a TB 2.2 and it was fine other than missing thumbnails and shadow/black.tga was a uniform color.
Mind you its also OK in TS12 SP1 HF4 with same warnings.

I've just fixed those warnings and upversioned the asset to TB 3.7 using AssetX and TARDIS. Looks OK in Preview Viewer.

I have seen others with that message though, but at the time I thought that it might have been due to beta issues.

clam1952
June 27th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I've seen that before in TS12, I forget what it was however it kept producing that error, maybe coincidence but after clearing the cache\internet folder it downloaded ok. Worth a shot in T:ANE I guess?

JCitron
June 27th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I've seen that before in TS12, I forget what it was however it kept producing that error, maybe coincidence but after clearing the cache\internet folder it downloaded ok. Worth a shot in T:ANE I guess?

That's a good thought. This is the only asset that did that. Everything else has downloaded fine so far.

John