PDA

View Full Version : Texture Scaling

andi06
June 20th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Q1
The first image is a fully tiled 256 x 256 brick texture, I have a lot of these lying around and they are very useful to deal with paving and the like in small areas, or even embankments. The texture represents an area of 900 x 900mm and has just the right resolution.

618 619 621

Because of the limited bottom end of the 'scale' dial on the ground textures page, in order to get this down to anything like the right scale in Trainz, I have to save it as a 2048 x 2048 ground texture image by including no fewer than 64 repeats in the groundtexture asset. You can see that I'm not alone by the number of cobble textures on the DLS which result in two foot square cobbles in the game and the size of blades of grass on some of the newer bump mapped textures.

You obviously can't mess with the scale-range control in game but would it be possible to include a texture-scale tag, in this case something like 'repeats 8' and then scale the image in code.

Q2
Using the alpha channel with textures like these can produce a superb 'wet look':

However the usefulness of this is limited by the width of specular highlights. Is it possible to add control over this, to provide a weaker effect over a far larger range of viewing angles?

WindWalkr
June 21st, 2015, 09:30 PM
Q1
You obviously can't mess with the scale-range control in game but would it be possible to include a texture-scale tag, in this case something like 'repeats 8' and then scale the image in code.

It's quite likely possible, but definitely not something that we're in a rush to do. As to workarounds; you've answered yourself and I would add the obvious comment that you should take advantage of the additional texture space to provide subtle differences to avoid introducing too much visual repetition.

Q2
However the usefulness of this is limited by the width of specular highlights. Is it possible to add control over this, to provide a weaker effect over a far larger range of viewing angles?

Yes. We've got a wishlist item for this already.

chris