PDA

View Full Version : PHYSX CPU or GPU

ianwoodmore
June 12th, 2015, 02:10 AM
No matter whether I set NVidia Panel Physx for GPU or CPU, TANE insists on using CPU. Why? I should be able to get better performance when one of my GPUs is dedicated to Physx.

clam1952
June 12th, 2015, 08:43 AM
I've noticed that as well, probably not been coded yet? However I doubt it will be a massive performance increase as the CPU isn't exactly being overtaxed in TANE.

whitepass
June 12th, 2015, 08:49 AM
It should lower the use on the GPU but my not work due to no SLI support.

TRam__
June 12th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Why?TANE already loads GPU to 99%, and you want to load it even higher :) ?

clam1952
June 12th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Doesn't need SLI support works on Crossfire only boards as well and doesn't need to be connected to anything, if the card is just being used for Physx. just double checked I was right on EVGA's forum and Tom's Hardware. Be aware though that depending on the Physx card used you may actually decrease performance. With a high end card it's apparently pretty much a pointless exercise, as say a GTX980 will quite happily handle everything on it's own.

WindWalkr
June 12th, 2015, 08:17 PM
We only support CPU-mode PhysX at the current time. It's unclear whether our usage of PhysX would benefit from GPU acceleration, since it would introduce an awful lot of back-and-forth between the CPU and GPU which is always a slow path. GPU acceleration of PhysX would probably be beneficial for simulating particle effects if we could move to a GPU-only pfx solution; at the current time this isn't the case.

chris